PDA

View Full Version : Whitesnake/Judas Priest USATour

Douglas T.
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Date: Mar 17, 2009 9:42 PM
Subject: USA tour Official Announcement

Body: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from www. whitesnake. com
and www. pooralbert. com

Premier rock vocalist, DAVID COVERDALE, together with his fellow members of the internationally celebrated rock band WHITESNAKE, comprising of

DOUG ALDRICH...Guitar

REB BEACH...Guitar

TIMOTHY DRURY...Keyboards

URIAH DUFFY...Bass

CHRIS FRAZIER...Drums

are to tour the USA again after far too long an absence.

“The US is our home & it is a priority for us to achieve the same success here as we have throughout the rest of the world...We’re delighted to have the opportunity to play here again...We have a studio new album 'GOOD TO BE BAD' that we are incredibly proud of & we’ll be prominently featuring songs from that along with all the songs everyone knows by heart...” says COVERDALE

DAVID COVERDALE is an essential part of rock history; starting with his time with DEEP PURPLE (1973–1976) and his collaboration with LED ZEPPELIN guitarist JIMMY PAGE, ( 1991-1994 ) a sensational partnership featuring two legendary artists working together at a most extraordinary musical level.

After leaving DEEP PURPLE, COVERDALE formed WHITESNAKE in 1978 and the band has been one of the most enduring & successful hard rock acts ever since. The ever growing list of their multi-platinum albums & awards is long & enviable.

WHITESNAKE are thrilled to announce they have committed to playing as Special Guest to the incredible JUDAS PRIEST on the forthcoming US Tour after a series of shows in NORTHERN EUROPE culminating in their performing at the prestigious DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL on JUNE 14th with DEF LEPPARD.

WHITESNAKE & JUDAS PRIEST last toured together in South America during 2005 to great critical & commercial success & maintain a great friendship.

WHITESNAKE will also be headlining several of their own US shows during the tour with JUDAS PRIEST.

The ‘STILL GOOD TO BE BAD’ 2009 tour is the continuation of their successful 2008 World Tour & will take the band thro’ until AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 2009 at this time.

The DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL will also coincide with anniversary releases of the multi-platinum albums, ‘SLIP OF THE TONGUE’, marking it’s 20th Anniversary and the ‘SLIDE IT IN’ album, which celebrates it’s 25th Anniversary this year.

It is understood there is also a Expanded Special Edition of their successful, multi-award winning, 2008 album, ‘GOOD TO BE BAD’, featuring bonus tracks being released around the same time in both the US & Europe.

TOUR DATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY.

For Further Information Related To WHITESNAKE Please Go To

WWW. WHITESNAKE. COM or WWW. POORALBERT. COM

Mr Walker
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Priest will be playing British Steel in its entirety on this US tour.
If the show wasn't on my wife's birthday (as it tentatively appears to be) I would go see this.
Aldrich will win over the priest fans.

FORD
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
What the Hell kind of double bill is that?

What's next? Poison and Motorhead??

atomicpunk5151
03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
What the Hell kind of double bill is that?

What's next? Poison and Motorhead??

It is a bit different. Right now Priest is in Europe with Megadeth & Testament. Megadeth has commitments to finish their new cd this spring and headline the Gigantor Tour so they will be busy.

As far as Whitesnke, I guess they are both 70s/80s bands. Like Walker mentioned Aldrich is very good, that last WS cd had some good tunes on it.

Still I would go see this.

ELVIS
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Fuck this!

FORD
03-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Coming soon.....

Bay City Rollers & Black Flag

New Kids on the Block & Metallica

Stryper & Slayer

(oh wait, that last one actually happened a few years ago)

bueno bob
03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh whatever. Whitesnake's not THAT bad, unless you're basing it on the self titled album and Slip of the Tongue. As far as the newer stuff, I have no clue because I haven't heard it, so I won't speak of it. But anybody who says for a second that Whitesnake from 1984 and prior isn't a fucking great blues rock band just hasn't listened. There's some wonderful material on those early albums.

That said, as long as Priest doesn't play that faggot ass Nostradamus bullshit, I'll go...

binnie
03-18-2009, 02:47 AM
That said, as long as Priest doesn't play that faggot ass Nostradamus bullshit, I'll go...

Priest put on a VERY good show this year, I was very surprised. Only two songs from Nostradamus. 'Death' felt like it lasted an age.............

Halford looked like he'd borrowed some of Rick Wakeman's wardrobe at one point, but other than that it was nowhere near as embarrasing as last time I saw them......

Douglas T.
03-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Hey! I liked Slip o' th' Tongue! Bob ... check out the new Snake DVD!! Yes Aldrich will rule this bill!

binnie
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Whitesnake are a great, great band. There are a lot of killer hard rock tunes in amongst the ballads that they're better known for.

Not too sure that they sit alongside Priest all that well though....

Mr Walker
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Whitesnake and Judas Priest are both long standing British Hard Rock bands and both toured together recently through South America. This tour makes perfect sense. It takes a lot to get me off my wallet to go to a show and this is one that I'd really like to see.

Coverdale must have fucked one of FORD's girlfriends back in the day.

Mr Walker
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I hope Priest runs through the UK track listing of British Steel as opposed to the US version.

Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Grinder
United
You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler

degüello
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I wish it were just Priest on the bill. I have never seen them live.

FORD
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Coverdale must have fucked one of FORD's girlfriends back in the day.

http://www.freewebs.com/tawny_kitaen/tawnykitaen2.jpg
It's true. He took Tawny away from me, the fucking bastard! :(

WARF
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
There should be quite a few mullets sightings for this tour!

WACF
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/tawny_kitaen/tawnykitaen2.jpg
It's true. He took Tawny away from me, the fucking bastard! :(

He did you a favour....she really turned out to be a nut case...

This bill would be good.

I love the old Whitesnake stuff....and I liked the Sykes stuff too.

I saw Priest last August.

Damn good....I would love to see British Steel played like this.

It appears they may of dropped the idea of doing the Nostradamus cd start to finish...I would think the reality of putting asses in the seats hit home.

binnie
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Anybody else think that Priest's 70s material is stroner than their 80s?

I imagine that I'm in the minority in this one........

FORD
03-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Screaming for Vengeance (81?) was great, but they went downhill after that. Turbo was practically a synth-pop album, for fucks sake.

Judas Priest and Scorpions probably both had their peak somewhere between 79-82.

WACF
03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Screaming for Vengeance (81?) was great, but they went downhill after that. Turbo was practically a synth-pop album, for fucks sake.

Judas Priest and Scorpions probably both had their peak somewhere between 79-82.

I'd push it to 84...

Screaming was a peak...Defenders was pretty darn good too.

Scorpions were just starting to slide with Love at first sting...Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout and LAFS are my favorites...

binnie
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I think that their best works were 'Sad Wings of Destiny', 'Sin After Sin' and 'Stained Class'.

To these ears, even 'British Steal' is inferior to those records (although it's infinitely better produced)

GreenBayLA
03-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Did you mean to say stronger or stoner? ;) Note Rob's long hair and Rick Springfield on guitar.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VFx_kcypAGU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VFx_kcypAGU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Actually I love Green Manalishi and Victim of Changes from Unleased in the East. I saw them open for KISS in 79 or 80 The little kiddies booed but I thought they rocked.

bueno bob
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Yup. Since 1980, they have very often been a flavor of the month band:

British Steel & Point of Entry = They ran wild with the AC/DC format;

Screaming for Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith = More themselves, but still very 'what was happening' at the time - Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, etc, were selling a hell of lot of albums - listen to a lot of those 1982-1985 metal albums, many of them had a VERY similar format and structure to...well...everybody elses;

Turbo & Ram it Down = Synth/hair metal crap that was selling at the time;

(Doesn't count, but Rob Halford went VERY Pantera with Fight...and very "Roy Z, save my music like you did with Bruce Dickinson!" with his solo band Halford);

Nostradamus = very Euro-prog, Kamelot and Epica are churning out crap like this en masse these days...billions of bands making billions of albums that sound JUST like it, only better;

And, not to be outdone, Rob has also said he wants to record a (heh heh) death metal album...

I don't know if it's musical growth so much as floundering around, trying to find something that fits. I think, honestly, Priest has been more goal oriented with staying with what's fashionable (or what they assume is fashionable) for most of the last 30 years. Exceptions being Painkiller, Jugulator, Demolition, and Angel of Retribution, but really, when you add up those four albums, what do you get that's actually memorable? 3 or 4 songs from Painkiller, the Ripper wash that was "I Am Glenn Tipton, Commander Of Priest!" and an extremely forgettable reunion album that just kinda meandered along and never did anything else.

Priest 1974-1979 was at it's pinnacle, as far as I'm concerned. Say what you will but Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Hell Bent for Leather are basically the only Judas Priest albums I'll ever truly need.

WACF
03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I think Halford said he wants to do a death metal album with Dimmu Borgir.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAmMcBQavKE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAmMcBQavKE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

binnie
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Yup. Since 1980, they have very often been a flavor of the month band:

British Steel & Point of Entry = They ran wild with the AC/DC format;

Screaming for Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith = More themselves, but still very 'what was happening' at the time - Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, etc, were selling a hell of lot of albums - listen to a lot of those 1982-1985 metal albums, many of them had a VERY similar format and structure to...well...everybody elses;

Turbo & Ram it Down = Synth/hair metal crap that was selling at the time;

(Doesn't count, but Rob Halford went VERY Pantera with Fight...and very "Roy Z, save my music like you did with Bruce Dickinson!" with his solo band Halford);

Nostradamus = very Euro-prog, Kamelot and Epica are churning out crap like this en masse these days...billions of bands making billions of albums that sound JUST like it, only better;

And, not to be outdone, Rob has also said he wants to record a (heh heh) death metal album...

I don't know if it's musical growth so much as floundering around, trying to find something that fits. I think, honestly, Priest has been more goal oriented with staying with what's fashionable (or what they assume is fashionable) for most of the last 30 years. Exceptions being Painkiller, Jugulator, Demolition, and Angel of Retribution, but really, when you add up those four albums, what do you get that's actually memorable? 3 or 4 songs from Painkiller, the Ripper wash that was "I Am Glenn Tipton, Commander Of Priest!" and an extremely forgettable reunion album that just kinda meandered along and never did anything else.

Priest 1974-1979 was at it's pinnacle, as far as I'm concerned. Say what you will but Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Hell Bent for Leather are basically the only Judas Priest albums I'll ever truly need.

This is pretty much how I see it, with two exceptions:

1) British Steel is an absolute classic - it SOUNDED so fuckin huge, I can hardly believe that it was recorded in 1980 (I except the AC/DC formula though)

2) Painkiller is a good album, and marked a later-day highpoint for the band.

Other than that, I think it was all downhill after 1980 for Priest as a recording force.

High Life Man
03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
According to Pollstar, JP is playing at Milwaukee's Summerfest on July 2.

Hellraiser!!
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Priest will be playing British Steel in its entirety on this US tour.
If the show wasn't on my wife's birthday (as it tentatively appears to be) I would go see this.
Aldrich will win over the priest fans.

He won in Brazil in 2005!!!

Whitesnake and Priest toured together here in Brazil that year....I went and it was a great concert!!!