PDA

View Full Version : Which replacement is worst at interptretting their predecessor?

Mr Badguy
03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Who can`t play the shit the way it`s meant to be played?

Who can`t sing that shit for toffee?

I`ll do the first one and get Sammy Hagar out of the way.

Which new guy is worst at playing the "oldies"?

FORD
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I never liked Dio's renditions of the Ozzy Sabbath songs.

I don't think Brian Johnson really does Bon's stuff justice either.

Then there's the various fractions of Pink Floyd. Both Waters and Gilmour managed to find instrumental replacements for each other that were adequate enough, but having the hired guns do the lead vocals just never sounded right.

FORD
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
And Brian May playing Free and Bad Company songs works better than Paul Rodgers singing Queen songs.

Guess it comes down to the frontman being the hardest guy to replace in any band.

binnie
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I quite liked the albums that Blaze made with Maiden, but he sounded fuckin' awful singing Dickinson's stuff.....

binnie
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
I would also say that Tommy Bolin wasn't the right player for Deep Purple.

Very talented guitarist, but not the right fit for that band - he just wasn't commanding enough to these ears.......

sadaist
03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
John Corabi. Killed Crue, then he proceeded to kill Ratt. Why can't this fucker go join Limp Bizkit or Nickelback and get rid of them for good? I know, he should start a band with Vivian Campbell...at least that way on his way out he can get some cred for trying to save Def Lep.

binnie
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
John Corabi. Killed Crue, then he proceeded to kill Ratt. .

I agree. Irony is though, I like his voice.

It's just not suited to those bands - maybe because it's a much lower register than Vince?

Mr Badguy
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=FORD;1333223]I never liked Dio's renditions of the Ozzy Sabbath songs. QUOTE]

Vinnie Appice couldn`t play Ozzy era either.

Bill Ward made that stuff swing.

Panamark
03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
I dont even remember the guys name, but the
drummer who replaced Keith Moon....
But then how do you replace that freak of nature ??

GreenBayLA
03-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Hey sadaist, Def Lep is long dead in my book...

Rock in a Hard Place is one of my favorite Aerosmith albums but they lost that X factor in concert w/out Perry and Whitford in 82-83.

I would say the same about post-Schenker UFO.

Ian Gillan in Black Sabbath was not a good mix live.

Morcheeba kicked Skye out and they've had 3+ singers since. None can hold a candle to her. DOH!

Jérôme Frenchise
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I dont even remember the guys name, but the
drummer who replaced Keith Moon....
But then how do you replace that freak of nature ??

Kenny Jones, the Faces' drummer - a very good one, but indeed, there has been one Keith Moon and there will never be but one!

BTW, Ron Wood kicked ass in the Faces, and appeared to be a poor replacement for Mick Taylor (though I really like the stuff the Stones did with him from the mid-70s to the early 80s) as you hear him play solos on one string live... :umm:
How come his playing get so messy shortly after doing stuff like "Every picture tells a story"?

bueno bob
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Michale Graves attempting to replace Glenn Danzig in The Misfits.

Clusterfuck of proportions so outlandish, the word "epic" doesn't even BEGIN to describe it.

And sadly enough, that clusterfuck continues to this very day...

Mr Badguy
03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey, how about GnR?;)

Kristy
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Todd Rundgren for Ric Ocasek.

binnie
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, how about GnR?;)

That's a very interesting call.

Matt Sorum was a more than adequate replacement for Steven Adler, but I don't think that Gilby Clarke had anything on Izzy.

As for the current 'band', they are note perfect live but lack any of the groove, menace, dirt and swagger that the original line up had.

Thorman
03-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I think DLR struggles with the CVH tunes. There is a reason he doesnt sing classics like Apolitical Blues, its above his range. Other then that I think JD Fortune did a fantastic job at replacing Hutchense in INXS.

BAM

Who can`t play the shit the way it`s meant to be played?

Who can`t sing that shit for toffee?

I`ll do the first one and get Sammy Hagar out of the way.

Which new guy is worst at playing the "oldies"?

alexpgrimes
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
John Corabi. Killed Crue
I think the Crue album with Corabi is their best one. seems like every played up to their abilities. I know it didnt do well at all but thats my opinion.

binnie
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the Crue album with Corabi is their best one. seems like every played up to their abilities. I know it didnt do well at all but thats my opinion.

That may or may not be true, but Corabi could not sing Vince's stuff effectively. The band sounded completely different, and therefore he didn't "interpret his predecessor" very well....

Pennypacker
03-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I couldn't stand "Ripper" Owens replacing Matt Barlow in Iced Earth.

atomicpunk5151
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Ritchie Kotzen in Poison......

He didn't suck enough live like CC did......LOL

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some people still talk about Newstead trying to replace Cliff Burton.

Hell some people still bring up Hamett trying to replace Mustaine....

binnie
03-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Some people still talk about Newstead trying to replace Cliff Burton.

I think that Newstead was always respectful to Burton's material, and generally played it very well. He always gave 100% live and was a meat and potatoes guy, a good fit for Metallica even if they never fully accpeted him...

Sarge
03-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I GOT MY ASS AGAINST THE RECORD MACHINE
That is all I am Saying!

hideyoursheep
03-20-2009, 06:00 AM
That is all I am Saying!
:lmao:

Did that brillo-headed clown ever attempt Unchained?

What a crime against rock!

Mr Badguy
03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Mitch Mitchell couldn`t play "Machine gun" with the force of Buddy Miles.

WACF
03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I couldn't stand "Ripper" Owens replacing Matt Barlow in Iced Earth.

I thought Owens did a good job...but they certainly do not sound alike.

Regardless...Barlow is back.

WACF
03-20-2009, 12:31 PM
That may or may not be true, but Corabi could not sing Vince's stuff effectively. The band sounded completely different, and therefore he didn't "interpret his predecessor" very well....

Exactly.

I thought Corabi was great....just do not call it Motley Crue...

sadaist
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyone attempting to fill Dave Lombardo's drum throne for Slayer.

indeedido
03-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I like the album Crue did with Corabi. Guitars were gritty and heavy

FORD
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
:lmao:

Did that brillo-headed clown ever attempt Unchained?

What a crime against rock!

Unfortunately, yes :(

From Velveetapalooza Trainwreck '04.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gj-NA-TwpYY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gj-NA-TwpYY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
03-20-2009, 04:43 PM
This one might be Even worse......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FYUUV5-J33c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FYUUV5-J33c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>