PDA

View Full Version : New guy here...

Pennypacker
03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello all,

Unfortunately, I wasn't alive to witness the Golden Years of VH, but all through my youth I was guided along the right path by my old man towards Diamond Dave, blasting Van Halen II at 6 a.m to hockey practice. I was fortunate enough to attend in '07, and though it was nothing compared to when they played Toronto in '83 (from what I've been told), I was happy enough to witness Dave take control of the crowd, and fuckin own the night!

Sarge's Little Helper
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi Pennypacker and welcome to The Diamond David Lee Roth Army! We are a website created by fans of David Lee Roth for fans of David Lee Roth. IT’S THAT DAMN SIMPLE. The next beer is on us!

Angel
03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the site fellow Canuck! Sit back and enjoy the ride...

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Haven't we cut off any more Canadian Imports already?

Fine, one more, and that's it

:gulp:

Close the door behind you, Canucklehead.

Angel
03-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't worry, he keeds... sort of.

(They hate us as much as we hate them ;))

Pennypacker
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
lol, Lounge Machine, what do you have against your neighbours to the North?

(Is that too Canadian for you?, spelling Neighbours with a "u"?) ;)

Pennypacker
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Angel
03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
:lmao: I LIKE this guy!

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 11:23 PM

You tend to repeat yourself.

You have terrible taste in beer.

But your women are hot, and your bud is spectacular, so we'll call it even.

But dont push it, eh?

Dr. Love
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Fuck off!!!

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Fuck off!!!

LMAO

Thorman
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, Welcome to this wonderful CVH site. Sam et al put together some great tunes, looking forward to talking to you about it

BAM

Pennypacker
03-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey, Welcome to this wonderful CVH site. Sam et al put together some great tunes, looking forward to talking to you about it

BAM

On the behalf of us normal, sane Canadians, I apologize for Thorman's rambling's.

Disgrace to our fine nation, sir.

FORD
03-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Speaking as a resident of a border state, I dare say Thorsheep is a disgrace to ALL nations.

Guitar Shark
03-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Welcome, Fudgepacker. :beers8:

hideyoursheep
03-20-2009, 03:39 AM
You will have to forgive my lack of enthusiasm regarding your welcome, PP.

There have been quite a few alias' "hello threads" started lately...I can't tell until you post some more..see you around..

Blaze
03-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Lut's go to gnr and chat!!!!

hideyoursheep
03-20-2009, 04:41 AM

?????

WACF
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM

LOL

Welcome to the site...

Blaze
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
:welcomeflowrs:

Pennypacker
03-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Noticed the avatar eh?

For the longest time I had no clue were Axl got that picture from, until I finally saw the School of Athens painting in a philosophy book of mine.

katie
03-21-2009, 08:10 AM
:lmao: I LIKE this guy!

you like ANY guy!

Angel
03-21-2009, 08:35 AM
you like ANY guy!

Go fuck yourself, you stupid ugly fucking cunt

cadaverdog
03-21-2009, 05:02 PM

This isn't one of my aliases but why wasn't anyone suspicious considering
Lounge made a point of Cadaverdog and Bastardson both using a "u" in
rumours.
May 5th birthday?
Cinco de Mayo.
I used Dec 7th .
Both something you'd tell a cop so you wouldn't screw up if they asked
you again.

Blaze
03-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Noticed the avatar eh?

For the longest time I had no clue were Axl got that picture from, until I finally saw the School of Athens painting in a philosophy book of mine.
:cato2:

chefcraig
03-21-2009, 05:16 PM
rumours.

More than likely because Pennypacker has typing skills that are not quite as idiosyncratic as your own. :hee:

cadaverdog
03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
More than likely because Pennypacker has typing skills that are not quite as idiosyncratic as your own. :hee:

I managed to get through most of high school taking reading and classes
where you watched movies everyday to get the required amount of
credits to graduate.
Can't even remember ever taking a regular english class.
Never could master typing .
Never had any training in computer use.
I know just enough to get by.

Pennypacker
03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
rumours.
May 5th birthday?
Cinco de Mayo.
I used Dec 7th .
Both something you'd tell a cop so you wouldn't screw up if they asked
you again.

I've been reading around the forum and apparently no one likes you. I'd loved to know the reasons why. Anyone?

Its ok, your still higher than Thorman on my list. Can't stand that guy.

chefcraig
03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I managed to get through most of high school taking reading and classes
where you watched movies everyday to get the required amount of
credits to graduate.
Can't even remember ever taking a regular english class.
Never could master typing .
Never had any training in computer use.
I know just enough to get by.

When I graduated high school in the late seventies, my class was the last to be offered typing class. The day after I graduated, the school replaced the program with...computer instruction. :duh:

cadaverdog
03-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I've been reading around the forum and apparently no one likes you. I'd loved to know the reasons why. Anyone?

It's a long story.
It's not so much that nobody likes me .
It's that the people who don't are more agressive .
You rub some folks the wrong way , you catch hell.
Some that would speak up don't.
They don't want the agressive ones to target them.

Diamondjimi
03-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Hello all,
I was fortunate enough to attend in '07, and though it was nothing compared to when they played Toronto in '83 (from what I've been told), I was happy enough to witness Dave take control of the crowd, and fuckin own the night!

Welcome fellow GTA'er.

Saw the '07 shows as well as the RIM private show. Saw the CVH shows back in the day @ M.L.G./'80/'81(front row)/'82/'84... '07 couldn't compare ,but great to see the VH sisters figured out and saw for themselves who the only one who can truely front VH...

Roth on !

Pennypacker
03-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Welcome fellow GTA'er.

Saw the '07 shows as well as the RIM private show. Saw the CVH shows back in the day @ M.L.G./'80/'81(front row)/'82/'84... '07 couldn't compare ,but great to see the VH sisters figured out and saw for themselves who the only one who can truely front VH...

Roth on !

How were those shows back in the early 80's, any memories?

What made them so different?

Damn I wish I grew up in the 80's. I missed out!

Thorman
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Wow, your a little pissy aint ya! I dont come in here talking smack like a lot of people. If you want to talk about Roth go to a Roth site or better yet grab a magazine from the early 80's and you'll find he was in the band until the formation of CVH. Dude, lest we not forget!

Bam

Ill say it again cause you may be hard of hearing

BAM

Angel
03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Thorman, go fuck yourself.

Angel
03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey, who kissed my tit?

Pennypacker
03-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Thorman, go fuck yourself.

There's no point in arguing with this clown, so I guess thats the easiest way to put it. :fufu:

cadaverdog
03-22-2009, 05:21 PM

You've made me think about something.What's wrong in my life that I waste
the amount of time I do trying to get people I don't even know to like me.
Who cares if they like me or not.I must be really bored.But then again I
have no life .But I don't post near as much as others.What does that say about them?What's lacking in their lives? That being said.Enjoy posting.
But don't take this shit too serious.I'm gonna find another outlet for my
boredom.I've still got TV.

Diamondjimi
03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
How were those shows back in the early 80's, any memories?
Amazing,rowdy,crazy. VH played with reckless abandon. The shows were a major fucking party scene with Dave as the host and the band providing the soundtrack. There was no guvernor on the band, it was full on party time.
I remember that by the time they hit it big with 1984 ,I thought they were a little bit too MTV for me .But I enjoyed it nontheless.
I remember the celebratory madness that spilled out into Carlton and College St. . People climbing on cars,Traffic completely stopped by drunken rowdy fan chanting "Ha-len,Ha-len,Ha-len" , Buying bootleg concert shirts off of dudes selling them out of the trunks of their cars for 10 bucks. I still have one from 1980. The thing is as thin as cheesecloth , but I still keep it around..
Ya had ta be there!;) ...

What made them so different?
NO Sammy Hagar !...;)

Pennypacker
03-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Amazing,rowdy,crazy. VH played with reckless abandon. The shows were a major fucking party scene with Dave as the host and the band providing the soundtrack. There was no guvernor on the band, it was full on party time.
I remember that by the time they hit it big with 1984 ,I thought they were a little bit too MTV for me .But I enjoyed it nontheless.
I remember the celebratory madness that spilled out into Carlton and College St. . People climbing on cars,Traffic completely stopped by drunken rowdy fan chanting "Ha-len,Ha-len,Ha-len" , Buying bootleg concert shirts off of dudes selling them out of the trunks of their cars for 10 bucks. I still have one from 1980. The thing is as thin as cheesecloth , but I still keep it around..
Ya had ta be there!;) ...

Yeah, my experience at the ACC in '07 was similar to yours from the 80s lol. Obviously not as rowdy and crazy as the crowd at this show consisted of anyone from ages 9 to 79. I swear these group of kids in front of us couldn't have been no more than 12. Besides the ridiculous $40 tour shirts (which I bought 2) and $12 beers, I had a great time lol.

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 11:34 AM
I must be getting slow in my old age. I only just now realized that your avatar is actually the source artwork for the GnR Use Your Illusion albums. Compounding this, I'm currently reading Stephen Davis' mistake-filled bio of the band, "Watch You Bleed". (A definite must-NOT-read if there ever was one.) As a result, you'd think I'd be a bit more on the ball, even if by accident. :duh:

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I must be getting slow in my old age. I only just now realized that your avatar is actually the source artwork for the GnR Use Your Illusion albums. Compounding this, I'm currently reading Stephen Davis' mistake-filled bio of the band, "Watch You Bleed". (A definite must-NOT-read if there ever was one.) As a result, you'd think I'd be a bit more on the ball, even if by accident. :duh:

haha yeah I think Blaze noticed it also. Such great albums. Illusion II ranks just behind VHII for my favourite albums. I actually got that "Watch You Bleed" biography also. Only through the first couple chapters, and again, just like everyone else, Axl is seen as an inconsiderate, piece of shit, which I completely disagree to a certain extent. Choosing this artwork for those great albums just shows the genius of Axl Rose :biggrin:. (Can't wait for everyone to rip on me after saying that haha)

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
"Watch You Bleed" is a bizarre book. This is by the same guy that wrote some tabloid-like bios on Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, yet he manages to get the facts wrong about those very bands, as well as making some howling mistakes about other artists. It makes you question just exactly what he managed to get correct about GnR. :umm:

The book literally is made up of quotes from magazines and VH-1's "Behind The Music". No one in the band was interviewed. And the oddest thing about it is this underlying contempt that Davis seems to feel for the band, as if he feels the need to bite the hand that he is sucking off of.

I'm almost through with it, yet I truly wish I'd never picked it up.

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Have you checked out the Slash Autobiography?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Slash_book.jpg

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
The Slash autobiography is one of the best I've ever read. There is an honesty at work throughout the work, and a willingness to meet the tough issues head on. This is a stark reversal of the usual trend in these books, the tendancy to gloss over uncomfortable chapters in one's life. The recent "works" of Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood are full of this type of avoidance. And the outright lies or drunken memories are at times absurd. For instance, Wood remembers sitting in an office with Peter Grant, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, wherein he was being offered the guitarist's position for Led Zeppelin. HUH?

cadaverdog
03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
haha yeah I think Blaze noticed it also. Such great albums. Illusion II ranks just behind VHII for my favourite albums. I actually got that "Watch You Bleed" biography also. Only through the first couple chapters, and again, just like everyone else, Axl is seen as an inconsiderate, piece of shit, which I completely disagree to a certain extent. Choosing this artwork for those great albums just shows the genius of Axl Rose :biggrin:. (Can't wait for everyone to rip on me after saying that haha)
You can't deny Axl "had" talent.
Not sure he still does.
But he had no self control.
Always acting the bad ass with his 6 inch biceps.
Pissing off his fans by coming on the stage late.
I've read a few of these books about bands.
Hammer of the Gods , Sympathy from (or for) the Devil( The Stones book ).
Not sure about that title.
At least two Jim Morrison/ Doors books.
They didn't pass judgement on their subjects.
Just stories without opinion.

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Since we were on the topic of Slash...

Slash Begins Recording New Solo Album

“Hey, how is everybody?
I start recording my solo CD today (on March 25th), Josh Freese on drums and Chris Chaney on bass, with Eric Valentine producing. I know you’re saying ‘didn’t Josh play with Axl’s Guns N’ Roses?!’ He did in the 90’s for a while but left after a couple years, so I don’t know if it counts much. Besides, that doesn’t undermine that he is an amazing drummer.

I’ve been reading your messages and there is a handful of questions that a lot of you have in common. One question that a lot of you want to know is, who is singing on this record, but unfortunately, I can’t divulge that info yet, but you’ll know soon enough. I will say however, that they are fantastically talented songwriters who its been an honor to work and write with, to say the least.

In addition, a lot of you have been asking for guitar playing tips. Now, That’s a broad subject, much broader than I can handle in this small space. Although, I could use a few tips myself. But, the most important tip I can give is: Patience, focus and unwavering determination to be the player you want to be. Practice, practice, practice! Practice rhythm, lead, intonation, finding your sound & songwriting (if you want to be a song writer) as well. And, listen to everything! learn as much as you can. Hang and jam (if you can) with musicians who have more experience than you and learn what you can from them. That’s what I tend do and it is one of THE bestlearning tools, plus its more fun than sitting in your bedroom practicing alone. I think that’s a good, but seemingly vague tip, even though its really not as vague as it seems.

Lastly, in answer to all your questions as to why I chose not to continue on with Guns N’ Roses, the reasons are pretty well documented in my book, I’d rather not revisit that subject anymore, thank you.

Ok, that’s all for this week, I’ll be in touch next week with a progress report on the solo record sessions.
Cheers,

Slash.”

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
This still cracks me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA92d72JM8Q

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
You can't deny Axl "had" talent.
Not sure he still does.
But he had no self control.
Always acting the bad ass with his 6 inch biceps.
Pissing off his fans by coming on the stage late.

When I went to see GNR in Toronto in '06, Sebastian Bach opened and played classic Skid Row tunes around 8:30 and then left the stage. This was around 10pm, and we were all wondering where the hell GNR was. Bach came out about a half hour later telling us the band was there, and that he was going to play some of his new tunes, obviously to bide time. It was 12am, and GNR finally came on. Me and my buddies were stuck downtown at 4am, wondering how the fuck a bunch of 16 year olds were gonna find a way home. I was a little frustrated they kept us waiting, but man they put on a great show (with a surprise visit from the Trailer Park Boys :baaa:). Better than the AC/DC show last October, damn thing finished at 8:50pm!

cadaverdog
04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
When I went to see GNR in Toronto in '06, Sebastian Bach opened and played classic Skid Row tunes around 8:30 and then left the stage. This was around 10pm, and we were all wondering where the hell GNR was. Bach came out about a half hour later telling us the band was there, and that he was going to play some of his new tunes, obviously to bide time. It was 12am, and GNR finally came on. Me and my buddies were stuck downtown at 4am, wondering how the fuck a bunch of 16 year olds were gonna find a way home. I was a little frustrated they kept us waiting, but man they put on a great show (with a surprise visit from the Trailer Park Boys :baaa:). Better than the AC/DC show last October, damn thing finished at 8:50pm!
I saw the band "Rainbow" a few times in the early 80s.
The last time was at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin .
Where SRV got killed.
UFO opened and kicked ass .
When "Rainbow" came out and the crowd was still screaming for UFO
they played one song and split.
Everybody was pissed.
The opening act "Duke Jupiter" came back out to play .
It calmed down the crowd a little.
"Rainbow" would have gotten the shitty end of a one side food fight.

binnie
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
The Slash autobiography is one of the best I've ever read. There is an honesty at work throughout the work, and a willingness to meet the tough issues head on. This is a stark reversal of the usual trend in these books, the tendancy to gloss over uncomfortable chapters in one's life. The recent "works" of Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood are full of this type of avoidance. And the outright lies or drunken memories are at times absurd. For instance, Wood remembers sitting in an office with Peter Grant, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, wherein he was being offered the guitarist's position for Led Zeppelin. HUH?

I absolutely agree, the honesty was refreshing and his de-glamourization of his own past was very interesting too. I was particuarly struck by his attitude to the past in general, particuarly the late 80s. There's a section where he goes out to a club in LA in the late 90s/early 00s and is horrified that all of these old rock dudes are stuck in some kind of timewarp. I thought that was interesting - as a fan, sometimes you think that rock stars yearn for the glory days as much as you do.

One thing that I was pretty struck by was how horrifically Slash has treated women over the years. Don't know why it surprised me, but reading him recount it with no remorse was pretty tough going. The one that really sticks in my mind is the girl who basically looks after him during the worst of the heroin years and once he's clean he realizes that he doesn't like her that much and wants her to fuck off! No thank-you, no guilt, no nothing!

Guitar Shark
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
The one that really sticks in my mind is the girl who basically looks after him during the worst of the heroin years and once he's clean he realizes that he doesn't like her that much and wants her to fuck off! No thank-you, no guilt, no nothing!

You'd hit it

binnie
04-02-2009, 02:32 AM
You'd hit it

:D

True 'dat. If only I'd been there to 'console' her :D

Seshmeister
04-02-2009, 05:32 AM

People need to vote with their feet and stop buying tickets to the ginger whinger shows.

Or wouldn't be great if 15 minutes after the show was meant to start the entire audience just stood up and walked out?