PDA

View Full Version : Limited run 2009 Gibson "Eye Guitar" -

Sarge
03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/jeffwith1f/default/gibson-eye--large-msg-123756284541.jpg

Thoughts?

That is really freakin' ugly.

ELVIS
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Hahahahahahaaha...:rofl:

lesfunk
03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Dog shit

Diamondjimi
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Looks like something that shitbag Jack White would use...

Garbage!

Nitro Express
03-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Gibson should be sued for wasting trees to make such atrocities!

Nitro Express
03-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Oh wait. That's the new Sammy Hagar signature model.

Blaze
03-21-2009, 05:30 AM
I have looked and looked I don't see the eye. Ummm could someone point it out?

Coyote
03-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Thank God that's a limited edition...

Sarge
03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I have looked and looked I don't see the eye. Ummm could someone point it out?

Eye don't know :hee:

Look at where they put the pickup selector switch and the placement of the knobs!

jhale667
03-21-2009, 07:23 PM
That's hideous. :barf:

And yes, it does look right up Jack White's alley...:rolleyes:

sadaist
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
It looks plastic and cheap....like my women.

hideyoursheep
03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Eye don't know :hee:

Look at where they put the pickup selector switch and the placement of the knobs!

Jeezus!

Why didn't they just go ahead and put them directly under the strings!
:019:

It looks like it's wearing bell-bottoms!

Eye don't want one.

Jake Daniel
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I couldn't be happier to see all of these negative comments about this new guitar. That just means my chances of actually getting mine (yes, already pre-ordered) are pretty good. As long as every one, apparently, hates it, then no one but the handful of us who recognize it's potential will be able to score one. Unconventional? Yes. Garish? Oh, hell yes! Ugly? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All I know is the specs are amazing, and I can't wait to plug mine in and WAIL!!! This guitar was built for screaming. Yeah, the tone knobs are a little too close for my comfort, but how often do I pull a Pete Townshend pinwheel? Color-wise, I would have preferred black, but the fire engine red is so IN YOUR FACE, that it's over the top. I think the Gibson designers knew exactly what they were doing. The Gibson Eye was designed to PUNISH!!! Both eyes and ears alike. I'm excited. Only 350 of us will actually get one. Only half of those are actually players. And only a small percentage of players will actually be heard by anyone outside their immediate family and pets. So when I upload the first tracks that I create with this gnarly beast, I'll be sure to come back here and say to all you nay-sayers...just like my little guitar...IN YOUR FACE!!!

Peace!
Jake

jhale667
04-30-2009, 09:21 PM
...:rolleyes:

Welcome aboard.

smaz
05-01-2009, 03:34 AM
I still think this thing is right up there...

http://images.hugi.is/hljodfaeri/122245.jpg

ZahZoo
05-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Ok so it's an SG with a strat offset on the horns and some dumb-ass artsy shit pick guard and weird colored pickup covers.

What is it with big ugly pick guards..? Why cover all that nice wood with crap plastic that serves no purpose other than to hold components in place...

The knob and selector switch placement looks neither functional nor visually inspired.

I'd give it a 9.5 on the total piece of shit looking guitar I'd never buy scale of 10.

Matt White
05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I've seen a lot worse than that........

ULTRAMAN VH
05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
That damn thing is over 2 grand, Gibson is on Crack. It looks like a toy.

GAR
05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
So when I upload the first tracks that I create with this gnarly beast, I'll be sure to come back here and say to all you nay-sayers...just like my little guitar...IN YOUR FACE!!!

Peace!
Jake

hahaahaa..

that'll be the day -

GAR
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
As a designer my past it behind me, but even I say this thing is as imbalanced as it's designer.

I'd sooner call it the Lithium or the Klonopin before I could possibly interpret this as an "Eye".

(Personally I'd like to reinterpret this on the bandsaw, for ecological purposes.)

degüello
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I think it looks alright.

Picturing it without the pickguard, looks kind of cool. Even with it, it ain't that big a deal.

Bunch of conservative old farts in here... ;)

degüello
05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
The volume knob so close to the strings could be cool for volume swells.

Diamondjimi
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Or cuntpletely getting in the way ,triggering the player to smash it into a hundred pieces...:D

jhale667
05-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Upon further inspection: That placement's IMO the one cool thing about it functionally...lol

GAR
05-02-2009, 02:32 AM
The only thing Gibson about this guitar, is the peghead silhouette.

You'd think if they really wanted to Gumby up a limited edition, they could fuck up the headstock real good and stupid, too, but they did not.

That was an obvious mistake.

It's like this, Gentlemen: If you're shootin' for the longest turd you can take and you feel it in your guts like it's gonna look like one long-ass rope of shit in there when you turn around and admire your work.. but if you're takin' that deep breath - and you're pushin' pushin and pushin' .. but you fucking HICCUP and it causes your sphincter to break off the turd before you're done - well, you know you're gonna be pissed because you was shooting for the biggest, longest piece of shit and you coulda sent in a picture to Guiness Book of World Records and now you can't.

Because you fucked up, hiccuping. You hiccupped.

That's what this guitar to me is, a hiccup.

They meant to make a really fucked up looking guitar but choked when it came to the headstock, probably some homosexual got hired on at Gibson, by hook or by crook his project got voted into Limited Run to see how it'd do, so he takes his sketches and modifies the whole damn thing before the template guy gets the prints, and he just fucks with it to make it the most ugly guitar this side of the Courtney Hole Love Venus guitar.

He tried to bake a steamy shit, but he hiccupped by leaving the traditional Gibson profile headstock.

If I was gonna Gumby this stupid thing up really good, I'm gonna gay up the headstock as equally as this body looks.

Maybe I try something stupid, like a 4+2 tuners arrangement, or - I know this is gonna be REALLY gay - a 5+1 tuners arrangement.

Oh, that's soooo punk rock. Thats it right there, five plus one headstock.. trace out a profile of my coch on paper, put the high E tuner on the nutsack for the 1 side, then have the 5 on the other side run up towards the meatus end.

Call it the "Eye am Gay" guitar n'shit.

If this guy who says he has one on order, wants the headstock modified custom Gumby style, I'll trace my knob, glue some blocks, cut out the pattern of my coch and drill some holes for tuner's and shit free of charge on it. I'll even pay for shipping.

I'll even sign it. Now there's a collectors item!

Then his freinds will say "What's with the Eye guitar when the headstock looks like a dick?" and if all his male friends are butt-stake eaters they'll all go Judy Garland for it. Guaranteed.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Haha!

At least put an Explorer headstock on it with Gar's "5+1" tuner arrangement...

Hey Gar, maybe you and i should start our own ugly guitar business...:D

Seriously though, since I bought this Cigar Box Guitar and considering how good it sounds and how simple it is to build, I may start building my own...

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 05:39 AM
I can see it on the headstock now...

UGLY

FORD
05-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Guess they figured if everybody loves the SG, and everybody loves a Strat, then some hybrid fucked up mutation of the two has to be a winner.

Weirdest part about that, of course, that Gibson shouldn't be trying to make anything look like a Strat. Guess the SG/Les Paul mutation was too ugly to even bother releasing?

ELVIS
05-03-2009, 07:48 AM
The SG was Gibson's answer to the strat back in the 60's...

I don't know what this thing is...

Maybe with a different pickguard, or none at all, it could be ok but god that thing sucks...

GAR
05-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Guess they figured if everybody loves the SG, and everybody loves a Strat, then some hybrid fucked up mutation of the two has to be a winner.

Weirdest part about that, of course, that Gibson shouldn't be trying to make anything look like a Strat. Guess the SG/Les Paul mutation was too ugly to even bother releasing?

Thing about the strat design and others trying to skirt the design patent, which one of the other threads says has now become public domain as a defacto design, well it's always been those copying the strat stretch it out here.. or the fatten the horns there, or make the cutaways deeper, or shallower, or more rounded.. or the lower bout gets a tug causing it to look less equi-distant and offcentered..

What's with the "maxipad-with-wings" pickguard, if they didn't want to intentionally fail? What are they really saying to the public with this thing: 'we are not too big to take a stupid chance"? Wasn't that whole thing with the Sonex enoug of a stupid chance there?

But the SG is just as strong an image.. why Gibson would even want to stretch and tug and balloon any portion of it out for the sake of product development for a significant run doesn't make sense. And Gibson doing this to themselves and not a copycat, is even more of a headscratcher because what are they doing wasting time with a bad knockoff when the SG is more popular than it has ever been and blanking the thing out is like printing money - every one they make probably already has a salesorder in waiting on it.. so why waste time with a bad copy when demand for the original cannot be fulfilled?

Building a dozen a week, for what - ten weeks worth? It may sound like a short count, but lets consider other socalled short runs that were really good and that were really short:

es335
flying v
explorer
les paul
firebird

.. and now today these are considered franchise keystones of the Gibson marketing identity.

The Gibson Eyesore will only be pursed by Guitar Collector Eyesholes that's for sure.

ZahZoo
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Upon further inspection: That placement's IMO the one cool thing about it functionally...lol

On a Strat the volume knob sits about 1 inch from the high E. That's about perfect for volume swells and keeping all the other strings in a comfortable picking reach.

This thing appears to sit about 2-2.5 inches below the high E. Also a bit further up from the bridge.

I think it would limit your sweep range on swells unless you got extra long fingers. But the extra distance might reduce accidental volume adjustments.

It's still fuckin ugly though!!

indeedido
05-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Is that a First Act guitar? I think I saw one at Wal-Mart.

ELVIS
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Is that a First Act guitar? I think I saw one at Wal-Mart.

No, but this is...

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89h-X-tZa_w&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89h-X-tZa_w&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

sadaist
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Maybe it's the color. The only cool thing that ever came in that color is this....

http://www.martyscars.com/images/chevy_corvette_69_monaco_orange/1969&#37;20Chevy%20Corvette%20Monaco%20Orange.main.jpg

compared to

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/jeffwith1f/default/gibson-eye--large-msg-123756284541.jpg

jhale667
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
On a Strat the volume knob sits about 1 inch from the high E. That's about perfect for volume swells and keeping all the other strings in a comfortable picking reach.

This thing appears to sit about 2-2.5 inches below the high E. Also a bit further up from the bridge.

I think it would limit your sweep range on swells unless you got extra long fingers. But the extra distance might reduce accidental volume adjustments.

It's still fuckin ugly though!!

Agreed, though the knob placement is still more volume-knob friendly than a Les Paul or any of their other offerings if you think about it...

Actually, that's kind of close to where I drill my humbuckered Strat bodies for the knob, but I put mine slightly closer to the pickup...but then yeah, I DO have extra-long fingers...:lol:

letsrock
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
yep it ugly.