PDA

View Full Version : New Conficker worm set to attack on April 1

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
The owners of computers infected with the latest variant of the Conficker worm probably won't be laughing on April Fool's Day.

Conficker C is the latest variant of a worm also known as the "Downandup" worm whose author is wanted by Microsoft on a $250,000 bounty.

It is expected to download an updated copy of itself or download other malware onto infected computers once the system date on those machines is on or after April 1, 2009, according to the internet security firm CA.

It is also expected to start generating 50,000 web URLs a day, up from 250 per day in previous versions, said an article on the discussion board of internet security firm Symantec Corp., which makes Norton Antivirus and first reported the latest variant of Conficker on March 6.

The CA security adviser blog reported that Conficker C may not trigger malware detection software on a user's computer because it has lost some of the spreading abilities found in previous versions.

However, it can shut down tools used to monitor for malware and that could potentially remove it from the system.

Earlier versions of Conficker were first noticed on the internet in November 2008.

On Feb. 12, Microsoft announced a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for Conficker. At that time, Symantec reported that in the previous five days, an average total of 2.2 million IP addresses had been infected with two variants of the worm.

The malicious code infects computers running various versions of Microsoft Windows, especially those that have not been patched with a security upgrade issued by Microsoft in October.

The earlier versions of Conficker did not require any user intervention to spread. The worm disables Windows security features and makes the computer part of a "botnet" of other infected computers that take orders from a varying series of servers on the internet.

As such, it may gather personal information, install malicious programs on the computer, and attack or infect other computers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Conficker.svg/800px-Conficker.svg.png

kwame k
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
If you haven't experienced a computer virus yet, just wait -- you probably will.
Fortunately, you missed the real heyday of computer viruses when anti-virus software wasn't very widely used, and virus attacks caused millions of dollars in damages overnight. Today's viruses can still be nightmarish, but for the average user, cleanup is considerably easier than it was just a few years ago, when the only solution in many cases was reformatting your hard drive and starting from scratch (and even that didn't do the trick sometimes).
So join me on a trip down memory lane as we revisit some of the worst viruses of all time and count our blessings that our computers are still up and running despite it all. (Though, please note, "worst" is a matter of considerable debate in the security industry, as the number of infected machines and amount of financial loss is always estimated. If you think another virus was worse than these, please post it in the comments to remind us!)
The worst viruses of all time
Brain, 1986
It all started here: Brain was the first "real" virus ever discovered, back in 1986. Brain didn't really hurt your PC, but it launched the malware industry with a bang and gave bad ideas to over 100,000 virus creators for the next 2 decades.
Michelangelo, 1991
The worst MS-DOS virus ever, Michelangelo attacked the boot sector of your hard drive and any floppy drive inserted into the computer, which caused the virus to spread rapidly. After spreading quietly for months, the virus "activated" on March 6, and promptly started destroying data on tens of thousands of computers.
Melissa, 1999
Technically a worm, Melissa (named after a stripper) collapsed entire email systems by causing computers to send mountains of messages to each other. The author of the virus was eventually caught and sentenced to 20 months in prison.
ILOVEYOU, 2000
This was notable for being one of the first viruses to trick users into opening a file, which in this case claimed to be a love letter sent to the recipient. In reality, the file was a VBS script that sent mountains of junk mail and deleted thousands of files. The results were terribly devastating- one estimate holds that 10 percent of all computers were affected, to a cost of $5.5 billion. It remains perhaps the worst worm of all time.
Code Red, 2001
An early "blended threat" attack, Code Red targeted Web servers instead of user machines, defacing websites and later launching denial-of-service attacks on a host of IP addresses, including those of the White House.
Nimda, 2001
Built on Code Red's attack system of finding multiple avenues into machines (email, websites, network connections, and others), Nimda infected both Web servers and user machines. It found paths into computers so effectively that, 22 minutes after it was released, it became the Internet's most widespread virus at the time.
Klez, 2001
An email virus, Klez pioneered spoofing the "From" field in email messages it sent, making it impossible to tell if Bill Gates did or did not really send you that information about getting free money.
Slammer, 2003
Another fast spreader, this worm infected about 75,000 systems in just 10 minutes, slowing the Internet to a crawl (much like Code Red) and shutting down thousands of websites.
MyDoom, 2004
Notable as the fastest-spreading email virus of all time, MyDoom infected computers so they would, in turn, send even more junk mail. In a strange twist, MyDoom was also used to attack the website of SCO Group, a very unpopular company that was suing other companies over its code being used in Linux distributions.
Storm, 2007
The worst recent virus, Storm spread via email spam with a fake attachment and ultimately infected up to 10 million computers, causing them to join its zombie botnet.
Thanks to Symantec for helping to compile this list.

Link (http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/87095)

kwame k
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Figured a trip down memory lane was in order.

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Morris, 1988
One of the first-ever Internet worms, Morris was created by Cornell University student Robert T. Morris, who claimed its purpose was to gauge the size of the Internet. Instead, since it used existing flaws in Unix sendmail and infected a given computer multiple times, it crippled roughly 6,000 computers (the Internet had an estimated 60,000). Although Morris caused between $10 million and $100 million in damage, he wound up with just three years’ probation and a $10,050 fine — along with a sweet teaching gig at MIT.

Witty, 2004
Detected on March 19, Witty was the first worm to specifically attack network-protection software, in this case IBM Internet Security Systems' products (BlackICE, RealSecure Desktop, RealSecure Network and RealSecure Server Sensor). It also carried a specifically destructive payload, alternating attacks on random IP addresses in batches of 20,000 with overwriting parts of infected computers’ hard disks, gradually rendering them unusable. Witty’s overall effects were relatively small because of its vendor-specificity; however, it demonstrated that a worm could affect a population of machines and networks whose administrators were actively taking steps to improve security.

kwame k
03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
The different variants of the Anti-Virus 2009 is fucking bad, too. The pop up that claims your computer is infected and for you to click on it. Once a clicked consent happens some anti-virus' assume you meant to do it and allow the virus to infect your computer.

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
My Windows LiveOne Care Malware protection that came with my laptop is out of date, need to pay $59.95 to update it :fufu:. I figure I can download a cheap version, take all the necessary precautions to not get attacked by all the bullshit out there. These Conficker Worm fucks have nothing else better to do.

kwame k
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Check out SpyZooka Link (http://www.spyzooka.com/index.php?a=330) Tucows gave it their highest rating and it's purported to pick up other infections that other anti-virus programs miss. I've been using it for a few months and it seems pretty good. As always Caveat Emptor(Buyer Beware)

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Just did a scan with SpyZooka: SPYWARE found.

kwame k
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it seems to work pretty good but some of the stuff it picks up is just cookies and it makes it seem like it's a big deal. Cookies are a big deal but you can't surf anywhere on the web without populating you cookies folder.

I personally like it but I really feel apprehensive recommending things. I'd hate for anyone to take my suggestion and find out later it caused problems on their system.

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Just ran a scan with my Windows Defender: No unwanted or harmful software detected.

All this talk about viruses and conficker worms is making me paranoid.

Thanks for the help though.

Blaze
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Check out Tucows gave it their highest rating and it's purported to pick up other infections that other anti-virus programs miss. I've been using it for a few months and it seems pretty good. As always Caveat Emptor(Buyer Beware)

Thanks for sharing.:umm:

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for sharing.:umm:

SpyZooka did detect Spyware on my laptop, but of course to remove it you have to register, which means paying, which I really dont want to do right now. :pullinghair:

Blaze
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Fact is, if you have a directed attack there is not much you can do except in real time. Preventive measures are somewhat moot.
There are plenty of free open code spy-ware and virus scanners out there for the average computer. And do quite well if responsible Internet habits are practiced.
Fact is, just like the real world, if you go to shady parts of town things might occur to you.
Thing is, now-a-days hackers have less of an interest of crashing your computer, especially if it is a drone and more of an interest of keeping the unit well functioning and usable.

kwame k
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
SpyZooka did detect Spyware on my laptop, but of course to remove it you have to register, which means paying, which I really dont want to do right now. :pullinghair:
What I used to do is........after it runs it's scan, click the results link(lower right hand corner), in the results box click the Scan Report tab, scroll down to the the bottom of the report, it will show which directories are infected and the path to where they're located, follow the path and manually delete it.

I did that for awhile, until I got sick of manually doing it and got a registered copy.;)

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I`m doing a full scan right now. Going to use your method once it finishes, hopefully it doesn`t find too much, or else im going to be here a while.

kwame k
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I`m doing a full scan right now. Going to use your method once it finishes, hopefully it doesn`t find too much, or else im going to be here a while.
If you're running a windows based operating system, use the Search program on the start button list. Copy the path from SpyZooka report and paste it into the search files and folders search box, that's what I used to do.

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Only found 2 infections, it was alot easier getting rid of them your way.

Just re-scanned, 0 infections.

Thanks kwame :baaa:

kwame k
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Only found 2 infections, it was alot easier getting rid of them your way.

Just re-scanned, 0 infections.

Thanks kwame :baaa:

Really it's the way to go, ever notice how your anti-virus program fucks with your system's performance. I know by nature it has to but..... for all the protection we put on these computers, it's like a condom analogy, it's only xx%-effective.

:beers8:

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Microsoft has a free download available for detecting malware of this sort and (so the site claims) removing it. Here is the link:

Download details: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en)

This computer worm is no April Fool's joke
Personal computers and laptops already infected with Conficker could automatically be linked to the servers operated by the hackers.

By Mc Nelly Torres

South Florida Sun-sentinel

9:35 PM EDT, March 30, 2009

Cyber security experts are warning that a new variation of Conficker, a fast-spreading computer worm also known as Downadup, could attack millions of computers on Wednesday -- April Fool's Day.

Personal computers and laptops already infected with Conficker could automatically be linked to the servers operated by the hackers.

Esteban O. Farao, a consultant with Enterprise Risk Management, a Miami security consulting company, said the worm is not destroying files or stealing data, but it has the capability to do so.

"The main concern about this worm is that it is capable of downloading additional code from the hacker's Web site or through a peer-to-peer connection," Farao said. "Consequently it can bring more functionalities or receive instructions."

Experts say it's unknown whether the worm will cause havoc or merely turn out to be an April's Fool prank. But people can protect their computers by using security software.

Howard Schmidt, a former White House cyber security adviser, said computer users need to download an application of Microsoft software to detect and disable the worm.

Experts also advise keeping your security applications and operating systems updated.

"The most interesting thing about this worm is that every time someone finds out a way to get rid of the worm, it reinvents itself with more rigor and better technology," Schmidt said.

Authorities have not identified the culprits behind the worm or their intentions. Microsoft has offered a $250,000 reward to bring the Conficker creator to justice.

The Conficker worm, which has infected 10 million computers outside the United States, is a program that exploits weaknesses in Microsoft's Windows operating system including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.

The worm surfaced last November in computers on weak networks such as those in coffee shops, airport or offices. The second variation can spread via shared networks, including removable drives such as USB devices.

This worm also blocks infected systems from downloading new security software or receiving updates for security software. After attacking, it connects to a server where it receives instructions to propagate and gather personal information. Conficker creates a back door in the system where the worm can download and install additional programs.

Albert Whale, owner of ABS Computer Technology Inc., a Pittsburgh company that offers computer consulting services, said experts think the hackers are making money by getting information to send spam or attack people they don't like.

"Hackers spend 24 hours a day perfecting their craft," Whale said. "People don't even spend an hour a week securing their computers."

Staff researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Computer worm Conficker: Devastating worm activating on April Fool's Day -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-computer-worm-conficker-0330,0,7417346.story)

twonabomber
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
i think i'll be surfing via PS3 the next few days. :D

Coyote
03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm staying off the 'net tomorrow...

WACF
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Microsoft has a free download available for detecting malware of this sort and (so the site claims) removing it. Here is the link:

Download details: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en)

Computer worm Conficker: Devastating worm activating on April Fool's Day -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-computer-worm-conficker-0330,0,7417346.story)

Thanks for the link....

twonabomber
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Malwarebytes says i'm clean...Microsoft says i'm clean...

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM

But we know you're a slut, so......

:gulp:

twonabomber
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
we need an "itchy" smiley.

:D

kwame k
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's an interesting article from McAfee about the Conficker Virus, all the fixes and where it stores itself. Link (http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/documents/combating_w32_conficker_worm.pdf)

Kristy
03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Heh, fuck you Micro$oft. Maybe if you gave your customers quality software instead of the over-priced shit you do now this wouldn't be such a problem for those who have to rely on their PCs to make business. :tongue0011:

XP is shit! About 15 years out of date and Vista was bland mashed-up rip off from Apple and old unsellable XP programs. So in all this time you billionaires can't construct an operating system that would be less suspectable to worms and trojans? All you "updates" basically do is rewrite the firmware so you know if anyone is trying to copy you software pattens. Maybe increased security for you but little for your customers.

Take that $250,000 and instead of trying to scalp the moron who wrote this virus (one that cornholes your PC) HIRE THEM! Maybe they can teach you just how terrible your software really is

Full Bug
03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I use Malwarebytes as well, great program, I must have if you ever get a trojan....
On a side note I use the paid version of Kaspersky 2009 and havent been infected with anything since....Good all around protection....

Pennypacker
03-31-2009, 11:20 PM
IBM Security Experts Say North America Home To Only 5.8% of Conficker Infections, Asia Tops The List

IBM's Security Internet Systems, known as X-Force have posted some interesting statistics on the Conficker virus on their blog. Over the course of the past weekend they were able to assemble a method to detect the attempts of infected computers trying to access their networks and based on that information create a snapshot of the geographical locations of these infected systems. Their report suggests that only a small number of infections are here in North America, just 5.8% and that the majority of infected computers can be found in Asia at 44.6% and parts of Europe at 31%.

One of the possible reasons for the major gap between North America and Asia is the presence of pirated versions of Windows which are in popular use in parts of Asia. Systems running a counterfeit version of Windows cannot apply the latest security updates and so are susceptible to infection.

It's April 1 in Asia and Australia at the moment and the Conficker worm is busily expanding the list of domains from which it seeks instructions.
The results so far recall the Y2K crisis: Lots of worry, but not much impact.

"Conficker has activated," said Patrik Runald, chief security adviser at F-Secure, in a blog post on Tuesday. "So far nothing has actually happened."

Here's the chart they've produced with all the results:
http://krisabel.ctv.ca/image.axd?picture=2009%2f3%2fconficker-distro-2009-03-30.gif

Dan
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Well It's The 1st Of April Down Here And Nothing.:D

kwame k
04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
It's much ado about nothing or it's the end of the world as we know it and the 3 million estimate may be flawed. I agree with the sentiments about Micro$oft and the flawed programs that they dump on us poor saps but......everyone uses Micro$oft and it's fully supported. Clearly Mac has the advantage when it comes to not having to worry about viruses and a much better, stable operating system. With a Mac you are pretty much clear of all the bullshit us PC users are exposed to. Having said that, when you look at cost, peripherals, and support Micro$oft comes out ahead. Windows based operating systems are junk but they are massed produced junk in the majority of peoples homes. When you look at the popularity of Windows and realize for better or worse that Windows based products are what the majority of the people use, you realize that while Mac's,Linux and other alternatives, while better, they don't meet the litmus test of user compatibility. If you go with a Mac or get away from Windows completely, you may have a superior operating system but you spend all your time configuring said operating systems to make them compatible with all the functions you want your computer to do in a Windows world, it's way more hassle than benefit.

I hate Micro$oft as much as the next person and having to deal with fucking stupid Micro$oft issues at work, I can say I personally hate Micro$oft but if it wasn't for the flaws in Windows I wouldn't have a job. So there's that.

Panamark
04-01-2009, 01:07 AM
If you can access the microsoft update page, apparently your
PC is not infected.

jhale667
04-01-2009, 01:14 AM
If you can access the microsoft update page, apparently your
PC is not infected.

I can, so that's a start. ;)

Yeah, a directive went around at work today to update the Virus software on all the workstations...updated my shite at home as well..:umm:

Panamark
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Heh, fuck you Micro$oft. Maybe if you gave your customers quality software instead of the over-priced shit you do now this wouldn't be such a problem for those who have to rely on their PCs to make business. :tongue0011:

XP is shit! About 15 years out of date and Vista was bland mashed-up rip off from Apple and old unsellable XP programs. So in all this time you billionaires can't construct an operating system that would be less suspectable to worms and trojans? All you "updates" basically do is rewrite the firmware so you know if anyone is trying to copy you software pattens. Maybe increased security for you but little for your customers.

Take that $250,000 and instead of trying to scalp the moron who wrote this virus (one that cornholes your PC) HIRE THEM! Maybe they can teach you just how terrible your software really is

Im a programmer / hardware engineer by trade. I hate M$ as much
as the next person. But I have to disagree with you on XP, its
the best OS that M$ ever released... (not that thats saying much)
but XP/SP3 is the most stable release since MS-DOS.

I tinker with linux and the occasional mac too...
All have their merits. I could stomach M$ if they
charged accordingly. $300 for a retail version
of their latest OS, when you can buy a whole
PC for that is blatant robbery...

I would like to see a stripped down core version
of 64 bit XP (no ie, wordpad etc etc) for $50
and then let the consumer chose their
word processor, browser etc.. Now that would
be cool...

The multimedia work my company does still works best
on windows (unfortunately). But linux is getting
mighty close ! I have ported our apps to linux
and keep track of the latest distro's, and
I can see that we are not that far away from
a free OS with our systems.

hurrah !

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I use Malwarebytes as well, great program, I must have if you ever get a trojan....

Yup, works like a charm....

Blaze
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
IMO, the reason windows has so many attacks on its system, is there are simply more Windows in use. Why bother with the smaller percentage programs, unless you have a specific target in mind and that system is in use there.

Pennypacker
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
It's Conficker worm activation day – but no attack yet

An internet worm that has computer and internet firms worldwide up in arms against it had not yet revealed its next move by mid-morning Wednesday.

Conficker C, the latest version of a worm also known as the "Downandup" worm, was scheduled to start using infected computers on April 1 to contact servers on the internet for further instructions or updates from its masters.

But shortly before 10 a.m. ET, the computer security firm Symantec reported that it had not yet detected any additional activities from the worm.

However, the company, which makes Norton Antivirus, said it would continue to monitor for activity.

"Keep in mind that these systems could be updated on any date after April 1," the company said in its email update.

Conficker's updated instructions might ask infected computers to gather personal information, install malicious programs on the computer, or attack or infect other computers.

Symantec noted that Conficker C can interfere with an infected computer's ability to download security software, but the company is providing instructions as to how to get around that (See sidebar).

At least 12 million computers around the world have already been infected since autumn, and Microsoft has announced a $250,000 US reward for information leading to the capture of the Conficker authors.

"What it's going to do from now on is definitely a mystery," Matthew McGlashan, a security analyst with the Australian Computer Emergency Response Team, told CBC News.

The latest variant of the worm, Conficker C, which was noticed in early March, is expected to launch its attack once the system date on an infected machine is on — or after — April 1, 2009.

At that time, copies of the malicious code on infected computers will try to generate and to connect to 500 web URLs a day from a group of 50,000 URLS across 110 domains around the world, including .ca, while trying to reach a "command and control" domain for further instructions.

Once it has its "command and control" instructions, the infected computer becomes part of a "botnet" of many infected computers that take orders from those who control them, and as such, it may gather personal information, install malicious programs on the computer, and attack or infect other computers.

Conficker infects computers running various versions of Microsoft Windows, especially those that have not been patched with a security upgrade issued by Microsoft in October.

ZahZoo
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
IMO, the reason windows has so many attacks on its system, is there are simply more Windows in use. Why bother with the smaller percentage programs, unless you have a specific target in mind and that system is in use there.

To a small degree yes... but Micro$oft's development teams left way too many back-doors and exploit potential in their code designs from the start. Security was not a primary consideration... even after the hackers got busy and everyone knew about the vunerabilities they continued to turn out code that had more holes in it than a hooker convention!!

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
ZZ = Go back 3 spaces and lose a turn for bad methaphor/analogy infraction.

ZahZoo
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Damn... some days your best just ain't good enough!!

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
:lmao:

You've done better. Suit up, bitch.

Kristy
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I have to disagree with you on XP, its
the best OS that M$ ever released... (not that thats saying much)
but XP/SP3 is the most stable release since MS-DOS.

In what way? XP has only "improved" because the pinheads at Micro$oft had no other choice but to improve upon it. On a global scale Micro$oft has wasted more time and money of the businesses who use their crap software because it's so old and out of date. It wasn't until Micro$oft was losing money themselves because of people switching over to other operating systems did they wake up to the fact that what they put out there is shit. Much of what XP runs on was developed over 15 years ago and that's why it's so easy to hack into it and write simple trojans programs into its root. All they do is "patch" it with service packs and lame updates that only serve Micro$oft that no one out there is ripping off their software in the first place, they could a fuck less about your personal online security Vista served as being no better - in fact it created more problems then it was intended to resolve and Micro$oft had to spend months patching that up, too.

Now, I'm not pro Apple. I fucking HATE McIntrash and their whole god damn pretentious advertising and "i" precursor vernacular but at least they developed a OS that is reliable in terms of online activity. Too bad when some crappy iMac goes shit up it'll run you at least $300 (off warranty) and about 3-4 weeks to get it fixed (only by them, of course). So you think Micro$oft could at least capitalize off of Mac's failures and put out an OS as equally as reliable but nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Even their new browser "IE 8" is absolute garbage. I downloaded it about a week ago from an automatic update that I was not aware it was being downloaded and you know what? It still shuts down other programs and is vastly insuperior to Firefox, Opera or even Safari and doesn't allow you to have a restore point to allow your PC to go back to a better time before that shit was installed on [your] hard drive. I had the most terrible time trying to get that shit out of my system - and what gets me is that they had IE 7 a out there for over a year as beta software and Micro$oft still can't make it work right.

kwame k
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree with most of what you are saying. Windows is flawed and has continued to be flawed. The only options you have if you want to use cheaper computers and peripherals, is to learn how to configure and maintain the flawed product.

If you're using XP you do have a restore point feature, as long as you have it enabled. Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools and you'll see the restore point program. As far as reverting back to IE 7, you'll have to uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7, if the restore point feature doesn't work. I agree it's bullshit about Micro$oft doing browser updates as part of it's automatic updates and you do have the option of turning off the automatic updates, too. start>control panel>system>click on the automatic update tab and pick the option that best suits your needs. This is based on your control panel being in classic mode and not category mode. You can switch to classic mode in the upper left hand corner of the control panel box.

Pennypacker
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
So with all this hype about the Conficker worm, is there anything that has actually happened yet? When I heard about this on the news, they made it seem like a nuclear war was going to break out on April 1, they kept telling us to "be prepared for the worst".

kwame k
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
So with all this hype about the Conficker worm, is there anything that has actually happened yet? When I heard about this on the news, they made it seem like a nuclear war was going to break out on April 1, they kept telling us to "be prepared for the worst".

Too early to tell yet. Remember what this virus does, it makes your computer a slave computer. Sending out the virus to different URLs and it may take stored information like passwords and account numbers. I for one think if it does launch it will not be today but a different date. Too many people looking for it today.

Nickdfresh
04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I just had a big, pain in the ass update, explicitly for the Cornfucker...

kwame k
04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
A big caveat here and take this for what it's worth. Here's a web site that helps you tweak XP for more stability and better performance. If you do some of the more advanced tasks make a copy in your word pad of the changes you make and the codes, in case you have to revert back. TweakXP.com - Performance Tweaks (http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx)

Panamark
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
In what way? XP has only "improved" because the pinheads at Micro$oft had no other choice but to improve upon it. On a global scale Micro$oft has wasted more time and money of the businesses who use their crap software because it's so old and out of date. It wasn't until Micro$oft was losing money themselves because of people switching over to other operating systems did they wake up to the fact that what they put out there is shit. Much of what XP runs on was developed over 15 years ago and that's why it's so easy to hack into it and write simple trojans programs into its root. All they do is "patch" it with service packs and lame updates that only serve Micro$oft that no one out there is ripping off their software in the first place, they could a fuck less about your personal online security Vista served as being no better - in fact it created more problems then it was intended to resolve and Micro$oft had to spend months patching that up, too.

Now, I'm not pro Apple. I fucking HATE McIntrash and their whole god damn pretentious advertising and "i" precursor vernacular but at least they developed a OS that is reliable in terms of online activity. Too bad when some crappy iMac goes shit up it'll run you at least $300 (off warranty) and about 3-4 weeks to get it fixed (only by them, of course). So you think Micro$oft could at least capitalize off of Mac's failures and put out an OS as equally as reliable but nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Even their new browser "IE 8" is absolute garbage. I downloaded it about a week ago from an automatic update that I was not aware it was being downloaded and you know what? It still shuts down other programs and is vastly insuperior to Firefox, Opera or even Safari and doesn't allow you to have a restore point to allow your PC to go back to a better time before that shit was installed on [your] hard drive. I had the most terrible time trying to get that shit out of my system - and what gets me is that they had IE 7 a out there for over a year as beta software and Micro$oft still can't make it work right.

Before I answer your question,
what is the OS you use. I would still guess
macintosh, even after your slam above.

If its linux, which distro and why ?

Kristy
04-02-2009, 01:36 AM
I run XP.

Panamark
04-02-2009, 03:22 AM
I run XP.

:lmao:

I would hate to see you try vista in that case:hee:

Panamark
04-02-2009, 03:22 AM
P.S. (I run XP Pro too) ! :)

Panamark
04-02-2009, 03:25 AM
If you havent, dowload Service Pack 3, its worth it if you
use XP... I cant argue with you about M$ at all.....
I still have problems with XP, but less than other
versions of Windows. Hence my comments that
its their best release thus far.. (Not saying much
for M$ I know)

Seshmeister
04-02-2009, 05:16 AM
These virus panics are like the bogus terrorist alerts, always over stated causing more hassle and time wasting than the threat itself.

Over the last 20 years antivirus software has caused me far more problems than any virus. I'm sure most viruses are written by anti virus companies.

Panamark
04-02-2009, 06:34 AM
I reckon its strange how M$ enables "Allow remote assistance" by default
on installation....

WTF ??? Its the first thing I disable after a fresh install....

Pennypacker
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Conficker Worm Arms Itself To Steal And Spam

The Conficker/Downadup worm is on the move again. After a relatively uneventful April 1, on which the worm began widening the number of Web sites that it scanned for instructions, a new Conficker variant has emerged and appears to be preparing to spam and steal information.

Symantec (NSDQ: SYMC) said the new Conficker/Downadup variant .E is designed to update version .C rather than the first-generation .A variant.

"In actuality, the primary objective is to update .C with the new features discussed during the briefing and drop Waledac binary onto the .C infected machines," a company spokesperson said in an e-mail.

Not every security company agrees the malicious code being detected belongs to Conficker. Bkis, a security research firm based in Vietnam, said Thursday that the malware Trend Micro identified is associated with the Waledac worm.

Weafer, however, argues that not all honeypots -- the machines used to collect malware samples -- contain the same samples.

The Conficker/Downadup worm was designed initially to exploit a Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) Windows vulnerability that was patched (MS08-067) last October. Since then, it has been updated several times. It now is capable of multiple attack vectors, including USB devices and brute-force password guessing. It also uses various advanced techniques to escape detection and to maintain its command-and-control channel, including a pseudo-random algorithm for generating the domains it uses to receive commands.

Panamark
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
This thing is setting a precadent. You know whats scary. Almost eveyone is now
walking around with a video camera and microphone 24/7. (cell/mobile phones)
You cant tell me that certain agencies dont already know how to tap into
this without us knowing. Now with the ever expanding number of built in
GPS satellite facilities also in the phones, its not just theoretically possible,
its totally possible to know where a person is, know what they are saying
and even watch what they are watching or doing..

Just think about that one...

Ally_Kat
04-10-2009, 07:02 PM
This thing is setting a precadent. You know whats scary. Almost eveyone is now
walking around with a video camera and microphone 24/7. (cell/mobile phones)
You cant tell me that certain agencies dont already know how to tap into
this without us knowing. Now with the ever expanding number of built in
GPS satellite facilities also in the phones, its not just theoretically possible,
its totally possible to know where a person is, know what they are saying
and even watch what they are watching or doing..

Just think about that one...

I think about that all the time. About 9:30 each night, I get this really horrid static connection on my bluetooth. Or so I thought it was just with my bluetooth. When I shut it off, it was still static-y on the phone - kinda like when you get water in your phoneline. But this is cellular. Something's going on. The people tracking always comes to mind