PDA

View Full Version : A Dumb Fucking Idea, for a Dumb Fucking Reason

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally published Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Oregon bill would let bikes roll past stop signs

Seattle Times staff and news services

A bill to allow bicyclists to roll through stop signs, but only in residential neighborhoods, is drawing some fire in the Oregon Legislature.

The measure is sponsored by a freshman legislator, Rep. Jules Bailey, D-Portland.

Advocates argue that allowing bicyclists to make rolling stops makes it easier to maintain momentum, encouraging cycling in general.

Also, they say, most bicyclists roll through stop signs anyway if there's no traffic.

The proposed law, the supporters add, would draw cyclists away from busy but dangerous arterial streets with few stops and into neighborhoods that have little traffic and many stops.

Critics argue the results of the bill could be lethal.

The measure is modeled after a similar law in Idaho that allows bicyclists to treat stop signs like yield signs.

Politics | Oregon bill would let bikes roll past stop signs | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2008946465_webstopsigns30m.html)

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Bicyclists, and their disdain for following the RULES OF THE ROAD are a fucking pet peeve of mine to begin with...

But allowing them to just ROLL through stop signs, in hopes it will encourage ridership????

Are you fucking kidding me?

It will encourage organ donorship is all....

:gulp:

Fucking Idiot Lawmakers Run Amok

lesfunk
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
They should pass a law allowing bikes to STAY OFF THE FUCKING ROAD!

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
I believe if bicyclists want to "share the road", then they should "share the burden"

Follow ALL traffic laws.

Be Licensed to ride on an arterial or main thouroughfare

Each bike [aka vehicle] must have a yearly renewel tab, of which the funds go to painting in their lanes, etc....

I honestly have NOTHING against the riders who obey the rules, and respect other drivers.

It's the assholes who think because they're wearing lycra on a $4K bike that they own the fucking road.

Kristy
03-31-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't what all the fuss is. Most bicyclists in Oregon are too stoned to know what a stop sign is much less understand its meaning.

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
As an avid biker (that uses the damned thing for more than simple recreational use) there are two things that appall me the most:

1. Drivers that think it is a hoot to attempt to come as close to a biker as possible (including weaving into bike lanes to "buzz" the cyclist) and being idiotically arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road..

2. Imbeciles on bikes, disregarding traffic laws (riding against the traffic, in the middle of a lane holding up vehicular traffic) and being idiotically (and suicidally) arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road.

No, I'm not some hopelessly naive simpleton that believes we should all equally share the road, even though that is the inherent idea. A law was passed in this state last year ensuring at least a three foot margin must be maintained by all vehicles passing a cyclist. The reality being, if I depended on this "barrier" for my own safety, I would have been dead the day it was signed into practice.

People driving have too much distracting them as it is, such as cellphones, stereos, looking for an address, other clueless drivers ect to even notice a bicycle most of the time. I get that. Yet this does not forgive some of the dorks out there that are not at least attempting to drive with some common sense. By the same token, cyclists have to be responsible not only for their own actions, yet those of drivers as well. Those bikers that flagrantly disregard the rules of the road along with common courtesy for their fellow travelers are just as guilty of being shit-heads as those they accuse.

It has been my experience that if you get run over while riding a bike, it's your own damned fault. If you are expecting some semblance of courtesy on the road, then you deserve to be hit, as it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are too fucking stupid to be out on the highway in the first place.

Do me a favor: take the bus, and quit giving the rest of us a bad name, while making us targets (by your moronic actions) of pissed off drivers everywhere. :umm:

lesfunk
03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
and another thing , Quit dressing like Jesters . I pass a guy on a bike and I expect him to pull over and start Juggling!

lesfunk
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
As an avid biker (that uses the damned thing for more than simple recreational use) there are two things that appall me the most:

1. Drivers that think it is a hoot to attempt to come as close to a biker as possible (including weaving into bike lanes to "buzz" the cyclist) and being idiotically arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road..

:umm:
KillJoy!:tongue0011:

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
KillJoy!:tongue0011:

Hey, I hear ya. At times, I'd like to run over some of these knuckle-heads myself. :angryone::duh:

Va Beach VH Fan
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
A bill to allow bicyclists to roll through stop signs, but only in residential neighborhoods, is drawing some fire in the Oregon Legislature.

Duh, it's obvious that getting hit by a car only going 25MPH doesn't hurt...

chefcraig
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Duh, it's obvious that getting hit by a car only going 25MPH doesn't hurt...

Absolutely. After all, it simply depends upon how you land. ;)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/139/bikeaccident.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeaccident.jpg)

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Perhaps a law saying that all pedestrians outside of a crosswalk are fair game, thus controlling the over-population problem we face.

Nitro Express
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't what all the fuss is. Most bicyclists in Oregon are too stoned to know what a stop sign is much less understand its meaning.

LOL! I used to live in Portland and Eugene. I saw some topless hippie chick riding around one day in Eugene. I think the lawmakers in Oregon are also stoned. The place is a combination of stoned hippies, drug addicted runaways, and commercial fishermen and out of work loggers who want to kill everyone.

Kristy
04-01-2009, 12:30 AM
LOL! I used to live in Portland and Eugene. I saw some topless hippie chick riding around one day in Eugene. I think the lawmakers in Oregon are also stoned. The place is a combination of stoned hippies, drug addicted runaways, and commercial fishermen and out of work loggers who want to kill everyone.

Oh, and don't forget about the WHITE male college drop out with dreads. Some spots of that town are like an endless Counting Crows concert.

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 02:17 AM
LoveJoy District, anyone?

Guitar Shark
04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
This is slightly off topic, but I hate when cyclists weave through lines of cars stopped at a traffic light and get in front of the first car. For some reason, all cyclists seem to do this. WTF!

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Not off topic in the slightest.

I always have the URGE to open my car door when I see them approaching, and introducing them to my armrest.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, the cyclists' hypocrisy.

They demand/expect to be treated equally on the road, but refuse to obey the same traffic laws.

Fuck their lycra wearing selves.

Redballjets88
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
how about make them use sidewalks exclusively. (unless no sidewalk is provided)

If I can get a 200 dollar ticket for forgetting to buckle up, which they call a safety measure, why can't the laws force the bicycle retards on to the sidewalk where it is safe?

The worst accident that can happen on a sidewalk is a bike hitting a person, causing bruises, and MAYBE a broken bone.

A bike accident on the street = death or severe injury.

Fuck you cyclists, go join a spin class.

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Sidewalks are for just that, walking

Bike lanes in places that have the shoulder room, are a good use of space.

But not every street can do that.

But the last fucking thing I want is these assholes on the sidewalk, where the elderly, and kids in strollers are.

Follow the rules of the road, yield to faster moving traffic, stay off the sidewalks, and pay your fair share of the inprovements on the roads you use. Or take the bus.

Guitar Shark
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Lounge, it may surprise you to learn that cycling on sidewalks is not illegal in Seattle. Bike riding is allowed on sidewalks as long as pedestrians are given the right of way. Seems stupid to me.

kwame k
04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
That's amazing that riding on the sidewalk is legal. I have to agree with the rest of you guys, I don't care what you are driving/riding on a public road, for everyone's safety obey the rule of the roads. Allowing cyclists to run stop signs is just plain stupid.

Now to address you haters about Stoned Oregon Cyclists, I only rode around Portland stoned a few times and that was 12 years ago.;)

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Lounge, it may surprise you to learn that cycling on sidewalks is not illegal in Seattle. Bike riding is allowed on sidewalks as long as pedestrians are given the right of way. Seems stupid to me.

I'm sure there's a LAWYER somewhere who we can BLAME for this STUPID provision.....

Lawyers: Put on earth to make Used Car Salesman look good....

Kristy
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Okay, I'll admit I love to ride myself and usually end up taking my bike over my car when it comes to going on short errand trips or just for the fact that I love bike riding. But with that said, there are assholes on both sides of the equation. I know the type most of you are talking about: the fuckwit with the $4,000 road bike with the most ridiculous riding gear/outfit I've ever seen thinking...no, believing that they are Lance Fucking Armstrong in training completely ignoring the rules of the road riding way too fast and not giving one courtesy to other bicyclist or pedestrians. Hey, when you're coming up on a unsuspecting person at that rate of speed at least tell them that you're coming up on them at a high rate of speed on their left! These are the same assholes who ride their bike right in front of your car at major intersection with their iClod earphones turned up so loud (to shit like Dave Matthews by the looks of them) that they're looking for a death wish. Of course, if you do end up hitting one of them chances are they'll sue for everything you have.

Motorist are just as bad - purposefully parking their cars in the crossing lane when at a red light or making right turns in front of me when I have the right of way at the light. I've never had this happen to me (thus far) but I've seen motorist thrown shit at people riding on trails or howling abuse at them when they are far enough from the lanes of motorist traffic. Me, I try to avoid riding near traffic as much as possible simply because a bike and car can't live together on the same road in most cases but that itself doesn't mean I don't lose the rules of the road by giving a break to pedestrians or yielding to cars by thinking I have the right of way at all times.

So I don't know...fuck you both.

Guitar Shark
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Okay, I'll admit I love to ride myself

Sorry, I read no further after this... ;)

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
So I don't know...fuck you both.

Promises, promises....

hideyoursheep
04-02-2009, 12:54 AM
You guys are terrible..:D

hideyoursheep
04-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Make it a law?

I nearly whacked a bicycle cop that ran a stop 4 years ago.
He yells, "HEY!!"

What could he do? Pull me over?

Fuck it, I kept going..