PDA

View Full Version : Report: Stallworth to get DUI manslaughter charge

Pennypacker
04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth will be charged Wednesday with killing a pedestrian last month while driving drunk in Miami, according to people familiar with the case.

Two people said an arrest warrant charging the 28-year-old Stallworth with DUI manslaughter will be filed Wednesday in the March 14 accident that killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes. The people requested anonymity because the charges haven't been announced.

The charge carries a possible 15-year prison sentence. Stallworth's blood-alcohol level after the crash was .12, well above Florida's legal limit of .08, according to results of a blood test. Stallworth will also be charged with DUI, according to the people informed about the case.

Stallworth, who is expected to surrender in court Thursday, released a statement last month saying he was "grief-stricken" over the accident.

A Miami Beach police report said that Reyes was not in a crosswalk on busy MacArthur Causeway when he was struck by the Bentley luxury car driven by Stallworth. The construction crane operator was trying to catch a bus home after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m.

The report also quoted Stallworth as saying he flashed his lights at Reyes in an attempted warning and that Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. He previously played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

alexpgrimes
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I wonder if we can get Winslow back???

TAKIN WHISKEY
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
If you can afford a Bentley, why can't you afford a driver? At least when you are drinking.

redblkwht
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Im lobbying for pennypoacher to mod with me here..

Stallworth shoulda stayed with the Pats, seems like both Ohio
NFL teams/players have bad luck. 1st the bengals now the browns..lol:mad0216:

chefcraig
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
This has been rumored locally for over a week now. Someone close to the investigation leaked the DUI results to the Miami Herald and the local FOX affiliate, and it caused quite the stink. Yet it would appear the details were accurate. The accident occurred around 7AM, so it was obvious the guy had been partying all night. The only thing that might save his ass from 15 years in jail is the fact that the victim was not in a crosswalk as initially reported.

Pennypacker
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Im lobbying for pennypoacher to mod with me here..:

Hey, if you need an extra guy...lol

Sports is my life! I was listening to a boring lecture on German Unification and decided that updating you guys on sports news was more important! Putting the education aside for fellow ARMY members will one day pay off ;)

With the NHL playoffs around the corner, you can bet your ass I have something cooking!! :biggrin:

Pennypacker
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I wonder if we can get Winslow back???

Why not bring in Chad Johnson while your at it. He'll cause quite a stir with his cocky-world revolves around me attitude!

But hey, its better than breaking a right fibula, crashing your motorcycle, opting for surgery on that knee during the season, and not telling your team about a staph infection!!