PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for new cables

indeedido
04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm in the market for a new cable to go from my guitar to my wah. All my other cables are Spectraflex, which I've had no problem with, but I do need one new one and they aren't available locally or through MF. I've been looking around the web and no one advertises what gauge each cable is from each maker. I've heard good and bad about Monster, Bullet makes a cool spark plug cable (looks aren't everything), but the hardest thing to judge is price. Some cables are high priced and don't function any better than a $20 Dimarzio cable. What brands are you guys using? I did see the EVH cables, I assume those are made by Monster, seems I read that somewhere. It is the only one that lists the gauge, 24. I can't say I want to purchase anything approved by a drunk who was out of his mind. thoughts?

ZahZoo
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
My most recent purchase was AXL tweed cables. Not sure what guage they are but they are built ough and cost like $17.95 for a 20 footer.

Matt White
04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I use MONSTER cables.....

jhale667
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I use MONSTER cables.....

Same here. I use the "Jazz" series which is supposed to be the most even and "hi-fi" sounding (other than their heftily-priced "Studio" series), as opposed to the "Rock" variety that supposedly emphasizes the treble frequencies.
Loves 'em. The Lifetime guarantee doesn't suck, either. They do still do that, don't they? Haven't had to make use of it in forever...think I've only replaced one or two since I started using them in '99-'00. My entire signal chain, with the exception of a couple of patch cables for switching and my pedal board, is Monster.

:guitar:

ELVIS
04-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Gauge isn't a big factor in a guitar cable like it is in a speaker cable that carries a heavy load sometimes over long distances...

Here's (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CBI-A20250-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&) a cost effective thing i've done in the past...

http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/Large/p34636.jpg

Buy some quality 1/4 Inch Male Plug connectors for about $2 each, break out the soldering gun and walla, you have twelve 20 ft guitar cables and one 10 footer, or anything else you want or need...

:elvis:

Panamark
04-03-2009, 01:32 AM
That looks like RG6 75 ohm cable, E ?

ELVIS
04-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Well, maybe the chick who posts the pics on the Musician's Friend website fucked it up...

:elvis:

Panamark
04-03-2009, 01:55 AM
We need core magnification to be sure !!!

Coyote
04-03-2009, 04:19 AM
The basic Planet Waves stuff works for me...

Although, I've been looking at some ProCo cables...

Panamark
04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
To be honest I never thought a guitar cable
would effect tone at all ? Unless it was shorting
out or fucked up....

Or if it was a mile long, then yeah..

I would judge my cables on the quality of the
connector and how they are terminated
(heat shrinking etc)...
Monster cables have nice connectors.

indeedido
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll give some Monsters a try. I've used them for years in my home theater rack. I assumed they would be good quality too for the guitar setup, but you never know. I definately don't want a cord changing my tone/signal like what I think the rock series does. I don't need more treble. My JSX can goose as much of that as I want. I need to revamp my pedal board so I'l probably wind up doing the do it yourself route with making my own patch cords. Those little fuckers are expensive. I have my pedals hard wired for lack of a better term. Two male switchcraft end made together, no cord. Nice and clean but I need to create some flexability.

ZahZoo
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Over the last 30+ years... I just don't see much that can effect the quality and value of a guitar cable. Especially not for some of the prices these things go for today.

Of the components... If you got decent quality wire and shielding, good quality connectors... then it's just quality soldering, assembly and proper use of shrink wrap.

I just can't see paying a whole lot more than 20 bucks for a 10-20 foot guitar cable.

jhale667
04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
The only way to describe the tonal difference I noticed with Monsters is if you're familiar with active pickup systems, it sounded like the difference between changing from a nearly-dead to a fresh battery. Kind of a "Hello!" effect... definitely increased the clarity overall. :D

:guitar:

Panamark
04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
That could be the difference between a good and bad connection too Jay ?
do your connectors have those extra little raised flaps (for want of a better description) on the earth part of the shaft ?

Panamark
04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Ah hang on !!
You have active pickups ? That makes sense then. Non active pickups put out fuck all current.

ELVIS
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm telling you, make your own!

Monster Cables are assembled in CHINA!

My cables are assembled at my DESK!

Can't you pussies do anything yourselves ??

jhale667
04-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Ah hang on !!
You have active pickups ? That makes sense then. Non active pickups put out fuck all current.

Not anymore. ;) All Duncans and Dimarzios these days...
Just makin' an analogy...

And ELVIS, while the Planet Waves cable I made at my desk works just fine, I like Monsters. Don't knock 'em 'til you try them.

Nitro Express
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I ordered a new PA system from Carvin and ordered a lot of cables including instrument cables. I never have had a problem with the connectors coming loose or hum. For me what has been the weak link in cables is the connector going intermitant or the wires breaking off. I had constant problems with the L connectors on some Ernie Ball cables I had. The connectors Carvin uses seem to avoid these problems. I never had a cable go bad that I bought from them.

Nitro Express
04-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Monster Cables are assembled in CHINA!

My cables are assembled at my DESK!

Can't you pussies do anything yourselves ??

Yeah but you have to have the roll of coax cable blessed by a shaman and use gold plated Neutrik ends. Then have sex with a virgin on top of the finished cable for it to be any good.:biggrin:

Sarge
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
The best cables that you can buy are ones that you make yourself.
I made all the cables for my pedalboard and my entire setup.

If you don't want to go that route.. get Lavacable.

I also have a monster cable, I hear people talking shit about them in the audio forums I go to.. but they are sturdy and sound good to me.

breasts,
Sarge

GAR
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Any reply I give on cables is gonna be long winded and boring to most, so I'll just go on the point of Monsters that, having owned a half dozen, the cores almost always shrink leaving air gaps between the shield wrap going microphonic (noise inducing rattles heard audibly thru the amp when you turn up or play live) and every, single one of 'em I have had the great displeasure to have had to decrimp, unsolder, recrimp and resolder the stupid things.

I will never own a Monster shielded cord again.

Also, I have just returned a pile of Hosa snakes to Guitar Center that had life warranty and they exchanged no reciept-no prob.

That was a relief!

I make my own like Elvis mostly. I get my 16-2 speaker wire at Home Depot.

jhale667
04-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Also cool are the George L's solderless ones you can make yourself...only problem with those is the screw-cap on the connector tends to loosen over time...no big deal, just re-clamp it and you're fine...I have two of those running my channel switchers on my amp.

Nitro Express
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
For those who burn themselves with a soldering iron I can reccomend Dimarzio cables too. Never had a problem with one and for shits and grins I bought me a Yngwie signature because our money isn't going to be worth shit so spend it on cables while you still can.