PDA

View Full Version : One in 10 Americans gets help to buy food

kwame k
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A record 32.2 million people -- one in every 10 Americans -- received food stamps at the latest count, the government said on Thursday, a reflection of the recession now in its 16th month.

Food stamps, the major U.S. anti-hunger program, help poor people buy groceries. The average benefit was $112.82 per person in January.

The January figure marks the third time in five months that enrollment set a record.

"A weakened economy means that many more individuals are turning to SNAP/Food Stamps," said the Food Research and Action Center, an anti-hunger group, using the acronym for the renamed food stamp program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

The U.S. unemployment rate was 8.1 percent in February, the highest in 25 years. New claims for jobless benefits totaled 669,000 last week, the highest in 26 years, the government said on Thursday.

Food stamp enrollment rose in 46 of the 50 states during January as the national total rose by 580,000 people, or 1.3 percent, from December, when the previous record was set, said Agriculture Department figures.

Vermont, Alaska and South Dakota had increases of more than 5 percent. Texas had the largest enrollment, 2.984 million, down 65,000, followed by California at 2.545 million, up 43,000, and New York with 2.211 million, up 37,000.

"It is a very difficult time for low-income families and individuals and also a difficult time for the groups that serve them," said Valentine Breitbarth of Bread for the City, a group that works with poor families in Washington.

Food stamp benefits get a temporary 13 percent increase, beginning with this month, under the economic stimulus law signed by President Barack Obama. The increase equals $80 a month for a household of four.

Recent food stamp data

Month Enrollment

September 2008 31.587 million

October 2008 31.050 million

November 2008 31.097 million

December 2008 31.784 million

January 2009 32.205 million

(Reporting by Charles Abbott and Russ Blinch; editing by Jim Marshall)

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090403/us_nm/us_hunger_usa)

kwame k
04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Troubled times have come, to my hometown........

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrYBtLgBviw&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrYBtLgBviw&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

swage33
04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Gotta correct that article...2nd paragraph...Food stamps, the major U.S. anti hunger program helps drug addicts sell their stamps for a fraction of their value to shit heads who then use them to buy groceries. It's a big scam here in Accoville Hollow.

FORD
04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Gotta correct that article...2nd paragraph...Food stamps, the major U.S. anti hunger program helps drug addicts sell their stamps for a fraction of their value to shit heads who then use them to buy groceries. It's a big scam here in Accoville Hollow.

That might have been the case back in the 80's, Cletus. But it wouldn't be so easy now, since there aren't any actual "food stamps" anymore.

It's all on debit cards.

swage33
04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
That might have been the case back in the 80's, Cletus. But it wouldn't be so easy now, since there aren't any actual "food stamps" anymore.

It's all on debit cards.

You fucking idiot, I see it every time I go shopping. Let me explain to you how this works seeing as how you are so smart and I am a cousin fucking inbred minority hater. You sell your stamps to a shit head. You give this shit head your card and you share with them your pin number. They take your card, buy food and then enter the pin that you shared with them. Are you so fucking naive that you think government fixed the problem? Of course you are.

kwame k
04-03-2009, 08:19 PM

I am sure some people abuse the system but that doesn't change the fact that more people are signing up for Welfare.

Blaze
04-03-2009, 08:20 PM
It's not the same, before the cash stamps could be horded and traded as cash. With the cards they must be spent on food for any value to exist.
The food is getting in to the population.... Those "shit heads" take the food back to where ever, often time to a "block mama" rarely do you find food hoards in the dope houses. A percentage might go to the whale houses.

Simply because you have issue with use, does not mean your dealer does.
And depending one what is being bought, $50 is not even a days supply.

Is there corruption, of course always there is corruption some where.

BTW, Mr. SOOOO Offended by corruption. Have you ever reported EBT violations you saw?

Some how, I think that if they are not showing up in rags in front of you.... you are assuming they are shady dope dealers.
Or you are selling yours.....to a shady Saidy
Not sure how you would be so familiar with this crime.

swage33
04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
It's not the same, before the cash stamps could be horded and traded as cash. With the cards they must be spent on food for any value.
The food is getting in to the population.... Those "shit heads" take the food back to where ever, often time to a "block mama" rarely do you find food hoards in the dope houses. A percentage might go to the whale houses.

Simply because you have issue with use, does not mean your dealer does.
And depending one what is being bought, $50 is not even a days supply.

Is there corruption, of course always there is corruption some where.

BTW, Mr. SOOOO Offended by corruption. Have you ever reported EBT violations you saw?

Some how, I think that if they are not showing up in rags in front of you.... you are assuming they are shady dope dealers.
Or you are selling yours.....to a shady Saidy
Not sure how you would be so familiar with this crime.

Man, I am not on a crusade. I do not have the superhuman power to gain a person's identity just by looking at them. Ford likes to call me Cletus because I reside in the heart of Appalachia. You know, I moved from here to Cleveland where I resided for 8 years... so, I can appreciate most peoples lack of appreciation for where I'm from. Where I'm from and where I reside is a very small community. Its the type of place where you try to avoid a bad reputation because the whole community will know about it, yesterday! I'm not speculating here, I know it happens, shit, everyone here knows it happens on a wide scale. Who the fuck is block mama? Why does she deserve illegally acquired food?

kwame k
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Man, I am not on a crusade. I do not have the superhuman power to gain a person's identity just by looking at them. Ford likes to call me Cletus because I reside in the heart of Appalachia. You know, I moved from here to Cleveland where I resided for 8 years... so, I can appreciate most peoples lack of appreciation for where I'm from. Where I'm from and where I reside is a very small community. Its the type of place where you try to avoid a bad reputation because the whole community will know about it, yesterday! I'm not speculating here, I know it happens, shit, everyone here knows it happens on a wide scale.

Then report it. Seriously, because it's the taxpayer's money. When you see a crime and you don't report it, you are enabling it to continue.

swage33
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Then report it. Seriously, because it's the taxpayer's money. When you see a crime and you don't report it, you are enabling it to continue.

I'ts like a dog without a leash, down here. Do you report that everytime you see it?

Blaze
04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Sharing food EBT is still a crime. However, you are stating it as if all you saw was Shady Saidy's buying for the whale house.
EBT does not buy anything but food, times happen that persons need TP, female needs, clothes for what ever... etc.....and trade happens

Is it wrong for you to look the other way, sure it is , just as wrong as you to assume that they are using them for dope...

Every year and elder would make me cookies for the holidays. This elder was on EBT.
I have also seen how a mother will start buying for thanksgiving quite a few months ahead of time.
Yea, take a deeper look into your community. If there is real corruption, as you eluded.The EBT problem is small potatoes compared to what is walking out the bigger corruptible areas.

Sure there are pockets of corruption across America in counties and small towns. There are so many examples, that no matter what type of corruption you have going on in your county or city. There is a procedure in place.

Blaze
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
To report corruption by city, county or state level

Federal Bureau of Investigation - What We Investigate (http://www.fbi.gov/hq.htm)

Jesus Christ
04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Why does she deserve illegally acquired food?

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

kwame k
04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I'ts like a dog without a leash, down here. Do you report that everytime you see it?

I understand your point but this is fraud and basically theft. Turn them in anonymously.

swage33
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Sometimes I feel bad about how I treat you. I was raised Christian and I have a high respect for the scriptures though I am truly hellbound. Little posts like this invite the hatred of people. I noticed that you do not post as muhaamad. Is it because you have more respect for muslims or more fear?

swage33
04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I understand your point but this is fraud and basically theft. Turn them in anonymously.

to what extent should I pursue this to meet your satisfaction? Should I stop people in the parking lot and ask them if they defrauded the system? Should I then ask them for a name and the name of the source of the stamps? Since my divorce I have dated a couple of skanks who engage in this practice. Should I turn them in? I know people of wealth who engage in this practice, should I turn them in? I know people who smoke pot, I know people who abuse prescription meds, I know girls who pump out babies on purpose so they can get more welfare, should I turn them in? Do you really think the Feds will show up and make it right? May I remind you that I do not have a badge. You SEEM to be insinuating that I should be a lone ranger and set all the wrongs to right by reporting them. Now, I don't know what kind of fairy tale world you live in but I am challenged, daily, to navigate the terrain in which I find myself while at the same time trying to secure some level of peace for me and mine. Most likely, your post was a backhanded response to what you interpreted as a false report but I assure you it is very real.

hideyoursheep
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Goddam right!

I turned in my own worthless so called "family members" for shit just like that.

Running a business, not reporting income just so that fuck could scam some free government love.

All because he was too fucking proud to take a real job, where you have to be on time, and do what they ask.

That Scumbag!

kwame k
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Settle down Swage, this was what you mentioned. If you knew they were drug addicts and selling food stamps for money, I figured you knew these people.

swage33
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Settle down Swage, this was what you mentioned. If you knew they were drug addicts and selling food stamps for money, I figured you knew these people.

Yeah, I know 'em. The rub is that they have wives and children that depend on them and who are totally innocent of the offense. Things are complicated and crusaders are linched down here. I know that social programs help many people who both deserve and need help but it seems to me that the government is willing to accept a very high degree of fraud. This is rarely mentioned and is in fact discarded in favor of the feel good rhetoric. And, there are those who feel that any government program is true and just throughout and if there is a problem the government will make it right and this just isn't so. In effect, I was venting about my daily experiences. I thought it was fair to show both sides.

hideyoursheep
04-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I know 'em. The rub is that they have wives and children that depend on them and who are totally innocent of the offense. Things are complicated and crusaders are linched down here.

Fuck that, throw 'em under the bus and let it roll over 'em a few times.
Wife and kids would be better off.

swage33
04-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't want to assume that responsibility...because I would and it would eat me alive.

kwame k
04-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Fuck that, throw 'em under the bus and let it roll over 'em a few times.
Wife and kids would be better off.

Yup, :fighting10::fighting0066::gun::fighting0036:

hideyoursheep
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't want to assume that responsibility...because I would and it would eat me alive.

Your conscience should never bother you for doing the right thing.

Think about those kids who are being used as a source of income for an addict who puts it's habit ahead of it's family.

What kind of life is that to give a kid?

Torch 'em.

Blaze
04-03-2009, 10:48 PM
to what extent should I pursue this to meet your satisfaction? Should I stop people in the parking lot and ask them if they defrauded the system? Should I then ask them for a name and the name of the source of the stamps? Since my divorce I have dated a couple of skanks who engage in this practice. Should I turn them in? I know people of wealth who engage in this practice, should I turn them in? I know people who smoke pot, I know people who abuse prescription meds, I know girls who pump out babies on purpose so they can get more welfare, should I turn them in? Do you really think the Feds will show up and make it right? May I remind you that I do not have a badge. You SEEM to be insinuating that I should be a lone ranger and set all the wrongs to right by reporting them. Now, I don't know what kind of fairy tale world you live in but I am challenged, daily, to navigate the terrain in which I find myself while at the same time trying to secure some level of peace for me and mine. Most likely, your post was a backhanded response to what you interpreted as a false report but I assure you it is very real.

You have to draw a line somewhere, ethically speaking. Will it be when you are stolen from? How much is feasible for your effort? And how much effort do you invest in preventing theft around you? $0.25? $25.00? $250.00? over days, maybe weeks? $2,500? $25,000? Over months or years?

Is it when your neighbor is stolen from? Your brother? You sister? Your Mother? Your Father? Your best friend? Your daughter? Your son? The mother of your children?

Have you grown comfortable with fraud that if you are benefiting, it acceptable to you?

On showing both sides, show the side also of the honest person receiving benefits. Why should they pay your prejudice just because you choose to allow theft to occur around you?

It is our duty to keep our cities financially responsible. Will you wait until the greed causes a death. Do you know for a fact it has not yet?

A significant number of tips are anonymous. And that is OK. It helps if you have names, dates, and other information. But what you know, no matter how insignificant, might be very important in filling out another persons tip.

As for families being involved, think of the children. Many fathers will disservice a child before they get a chance out of the gate. I have seen many cases where the children were involved before they where old enough to understand, through the use of bank accounts and sometimes these folks do not have the ethics to keep their child credit rating strong. And most children are not in the position to tell their family, "No, I do not wish to commit fraud(crime).

Just wondering...........
Will you look away when the corruption in your town hits your Justice System and Law Enforcement?

Federal Bureau of Investigation - What We Investigate (http://www.fbi.gov/hq.htm)

I understand, the "It's not my hometown, why should I care about these folks?" But how long have you been there already?

swage33
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Had I power, it would be easy. Were I elected by the virtue of my beliefs, it would be cut and dry. If I had the support of even a slim majority of the community it would be done, but I have children that are trying to grow up here and I have to be mindful of my actions. To suffer for ones beliefs is a decision that a grown adult makes for themselves...it is not right to make that decision for others. See how the world can use your children against you?

kwame k
04-03-2009, 11:02 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, what type of lesson does that teach your children? Really, you're in a tough spot and I can understand your apprehension. We all make our decision the best way we can and what I would do, does not necessarily mean you should.

hideyoursheep
04-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Had I power, it would be easy. Were I elected by the virtue of my beliefs, it would be cut and dry. If I had the support of even a slim majority of the community it would be done, but I have children that are trying to grow up here and I have to be mindful of my actions. To suffer for ones beliefs is a decision that a grown adult makes for themselves...it is not right to make that decision for others. See how the world can use your children against you?No idea what you're saying.

swage33
04-03-2009, 11:14 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, what type of lesson does that teach your children? Really, you're in a tough spot and I can understand your apprehension. We all make our decision the best way we can and what I would do, does not necessarily mean you should.

I see to it that my children know right from wrong. In my opinion, the law exists for the worst of us. Good people do not need their behavior mapped out on books in the local court house. When you find yourself the minority and you know you're right...what do you do? Your decision will be greatly influenced by your circumstances if you have the capacity to employ any wisdom at all. What I value most in my life and what I wish most for my kids is peace. I've had little of it but I've seen to it that its just about all my kids have known. I may be horribly wrong in this....time will tell.

hideyoursheep
04-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Go to the mattress!

kwame k
04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Go to the mattress!

You know I have to...............................

Take off the fat dress and get on the mattress!

ELVIS
04-03-2009, 11:35 PM

It's all on debit cards.

I know of crack heads who are card holders who go into the Super Market with someone else who buys the goods from the crack head at next to nothing...

C'mon FORD, it's simple...

:elvis:

Kristy
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM

I've seen that happen. For a while growing up my family lived on food stamps fort about 7 months and every now and then you'd see a drug addict or severe alcoholic trying to sell them at at half value for dope or liquor. If anything, that's what made being on food stamps embarrassing.

I still say they are a good idea even if they are another unchecked governmental program although those numbers seem to be a little off to me. This story seems to give no mention of demographic. I mean, are one in ten who live in Beverly Hills or The Hamptons living off government cheese?

swage33
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I've seen that happen. For a while growing up my family lived on food stamps fort about 7 months and every now and then you'd see a drug addict or severe alcoholic trying to sell them at at half value for dope or liquor. If anything, that's what made being on food stamps embarrassing.

I still say they are a good idea even if they are another unchecked governmental program although those numbers seem to be a little off to me. This story seems to give no mention of demographic. I mean, are one in ten who live in Beverly Hills or The Hamptons living off government cheese?

Being on government assistance is embarassing and good people are embarassed. Down here, mommies make it a game with their kids, they let the kids punch in the pin. Class doesn't have a damn thing to do with how much money you have in your pocket. I agree the program is necessary, there are some that think its infallable...was just pointing out that its not.

Nickdfresh
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I see to it that my children know right from wrong. In my opinion, the law exists for the worst of us. Good people do not need their behavior mapped out on books in the local court house. When you find yourself the minority and you know you're right...what do you do? Your decision will be greatly influenced by your circumstances if you have the capacity to employ any wisdom at all. What I value most in my life and what I wish most for my kids is peace. I've had little of it but I've seen to it that its just about all my kids have known. I may be horribly wrong in this....time will tell.

Are you speaking of Wall Street that fucked America out of trillion$ or a few toothless fuck scums that cheat the system out of a few thou$and?

Nickdfresh
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Being on government assistance is embarassing and good people are embarassed. Down here, mommies make it a game with their kids, they let the kids punch in the pin. Class doesn't have a damn thing to do with how much money you have in your pocket. I agree the program is necessary, there are some that think its infallable...was just pointing out that its not.

That must explain why AIG execs aren't...

Blaze
04-04-2009, 08:28 PM

:pullinghair:

Who doesn't include their children on family finances? good bad or ugly?
I am beginning to wonder if you actually shop at all and are just making this up as you go along..Seems a bit flat