PDA

View Full Version : Metallica performing @ RRHOF

Diamondjimi
04-05-2009, 03:40 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KW5T-muAkgQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KW5T-muAkgQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uu9sDAxRGQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uu9sDAxRGQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sadaist
04-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Nice to Phil Collins drumming again.

FORD
04-05-2009, 03:38 PM
So they had two bass players on stage....... despite the fact that neither of them played on the record that made them eligible to be in this year? :confused:

(I mean obviously Cliff couldn't make the gig, but why did they need both the other guys?)

And neither of the songs they played were from the "eligible" albums either.

WARF
04-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I hate to throw Cliff Burton under the bus...

But Jason Newsted was a pretty good bass player as well...

sadaist
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I hate to throw Cliff Burton under the bus...

But Jason Newsted was a pretty good bass player as well...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sick dude.....just plain wrong.

WACF
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I would of loved to have seen Hit The Lights with Mustaine...too bad it did not happen.

Nice to see Newsted invited on stage.

I have heard Enter Sandman more than enough....but....the crowd always eats it up...so they play it.

twonabomber
04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
So they had two bass players on stage....... despite the fact that neither of them played on the record that made them eligible to be in this year? :confused:

(I mean obviously Cliff couldn't make the gig, but why did they need both the other guys?)

And neither of the songs they played were from the "eligible" albums either.

what eligible albums? so Newsted and Truillo shouldn't get in until 25 years after they made their recorded debut in Metallica?

FORD
04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
25 years is the eligibility rule. So Metallica got in for "Kill Em All" (1983) and "Ride The Lightning" (1984). Obviously they need someone to play bass for the gig, and Cliff Burton isn't available. (Guess Metallica doesn't have as much clout with Satan as they used to?)

So picking one replacement bass player over the other is irrelevant, which is probably why they went with both. But they still should have played at least one song from one of the first two albums. "Creeping Death" would have been an appropriate choice with Passover coming up this next week.

twonabomber
04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
yes, 25 years since the first record comes out, not 25 years since the first record that someone deemed worthy of getting recognition for.

i'm no raging Metallica fan but i'd like to think they got in for the whole body of work and not just the first two records. okay, maybe not for St. Anger, but i'm only going on other people's opinions of that one.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice seeing Jason up there again...

FORD
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, that's the hypocrisy of the whole thing. I'll bet 90&#37; of the industry types who do the voting for the Hall of Fame never even heard Metallica's first two records until after the fact. Half of them probably never gave a shit about the band until "Enter Sandman" or worse yet, the ballads from the "Black Album".

I didn't hate the Black Album or even "Load". Where Metallica lost me was the ridiculous hypocrisy over Napster (considering how they openly encouraged the circulation of their own demo tape "No Life Till Leather" through every means technologically possible in 1982. ) Then to follow that up with S&M and then St. Anger which was horrible. I've heard both good and bad reviews of "Death Magnetic" but honestly, haven't cared enough to listen for myself. I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Unlike, say Sammy Hagar, for example. I have no problem with Jason Newsted being included in the Hall of Fame. And since Hell will freeze over before Suicidal Tendencies gets inducted, Trujillo might as well get in this way too.

atomicpunk5151
04-05-2009, 09:13 PM
yes, 25 years since the first record comes out, not 25 years since the first record that someone deemed worthy of getting recognition for.

i'm no raging Metallica fan but i'd like to think they got in for the whole body of work and not just the first two records. okay, maybe not for St. Anger, but i'm only going on other people's opinions of that one.

Twon hit the nail right here. IT is for the body of work over a career, not just for stuff that is older then 25 years.

They mentioned that they invited Jason since he was a huge part of the band from 86-00. He also seemed pretty damn happy to be there. He has laid pretty low since he quit Ozzy's touring band a few years back.

They also invited Ron Mcgovney and Dave Mustaine to attend the event. They would not have been inducted since they didn't record on an "OFFICIAL" release.

As for the performance, pretty good 2009 renditions. They bring a lot of energy to each show even all these years later.

++++++
Jason Newstead as ok live during his era. Steady but not spectacular. Certainly not in Burton or Trujillos league.

BUT Jason was great on LIVE backing vocals and was the connection to the fans.... kind of like some other "Bass player" we know.......

Matt White
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
BRILLIANT....I read they wanted JASON up there alone...& that Trujillo was cool with it...but JASON, being the class act that he is, insisted that Robert be up there as well...

METALLICA...incredible

WACF
04-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Well, that's the hypocrisy of the whole thing. I'll bet 90% of the industry types who do the voting for the Hall of Fame never even heard Metallica's first two records until after the fact. Half of them probably never gave a shit about the band until "Enter Sandman" or worse yet, the ballads from the "Black Album".

Seems they never heard of of Rush, Deep Purple, Kiss ect. either.

I was disapointed they did not play something off they first album too for the same reason as you...but then we are real fans and want that.

Most people want what is familiar.

FORD
04-06-2009, 02:08 AM

I honestly don't know why Rush isn't in there, unless Ray Danniels has pissed off the people in charge of the HOF like he has everyone else on the planet except for Rush themselves.

Deep Purple and Kiss, it's got to be the issue over who gets inducted. Easy answer with Kiss is the original 4, and that's it. If you can get Chaim Witz to go along with that.

But where do you even begin with Deep Purple? The original lineup that did "Hush" and the classic version that did the "Machine Head" LP, obviously. Coverdale? The thought makes me vomit, but some would probably insist on it. Tommy Bolin? Hell, he's dead, so why not?

But any of the hired guns from the post reunion lineups?? Hell no.

And for that matter, can you get Gillan and Blackmore in the same room at this point?

WACF
04-06-2009, 02:20 AM
I honestly don't know why Rush isn't in there, unless Ray Danniels has pissed off the people in charge of the HOF like he has everyone else on the planet except for Rush themselves.

Deep Purple and Kiss, it's got to be the issue over who gets inducted. Easy answer with Kiss is the original 4, and that's it. If you can get Chaim Witz to go along with that.

But where do you even begin with Deep Purple? The original lineup that did "Hush" and the classic version that did the "Machine Head" LP, obviously. Coverdale? The thought makes me vomit, but some would probably insist on it. Tommy Bolin? Hell, he's dead, so why not?

And for that matter, can you get Gillan and Blackmore in the same room at this point?

After the way Van Halen went in anything goes....they really fucked it up.

The thing with Metallica is...they did it right by inviting past members.

Deep Purple can have a few versions....Glenn Hughes in his own right should be aknowledged...the guy is a wicked talented.

Kiss...well...should be easy but then again at the VH1 Rock Honors Ace had to play with the cover band...weak.

binnie
04-06-2009, 02:33 AM
BRILLIANT....I read they wanted JASON up there alone...& that Trujillo was cool with it...but JASON, being the class act that he is, insisted that Robert be up there as well...

METALLICA...incredible

I think that about sums it up.

They also looked genuinely honoured to be there, and played with lots of energy (the excitment of it all got the better of Lars' drumming on Sandman), unlike another band I could mention........

Diamondjimi
04-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Induction speach's

Part 1

Cliff's dad speaks first...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeExSU8vncU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeExSU8vncU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jz96Ry4pUg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jz96Ry4pUg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Panamark
04-06-2009, 07:02 AM
They have to get back Jay-son back !!

Him and James look the same now..'
(Beards and alll)
Trujillo has too much hair.... lol looks outta place

It was still awesome to see, as everyone has said would have been better with Megadave
and the six of em launching into the "Four Horsemen"
with a flag hangin behind them with Cliff's Pciture on it..

Maybe even played Cliff's Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)." intro to hiplash as they came on....

Master was a little loose, but farken great to hear ! One of the best ever
Metallica songs....

Va Beach VH Fan
04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
They have to get back Jay-son back !!

Him and James look the same now..' Trujillo has too much hair.... lol

It was still awesome to see, as everyone has said would have been better with Megadave
and the six of em launching into the "Four Horsemen"
with a flag hangin behind them with Cliff's Pciture on it..

Maybe even played Cliff's Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)." intro to hiplash as they came on....

Master was a little loose, but farken great to hear ! One of the best ever
Metallica songs....

From what I remember on the documentary, Kirk said that Robert's playing reminded him of Cliff....

I'm no bass expert, but that would tell me that Trujillo is a better player than Jason, but who knows...

Seshmeister
04-06-2009, 07:15 AM

If they inducted Purple they would have about 30 people onstage...:)

Panamark
04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Trujillo is better, but Jason was Metallica for a long time.
Now him and James look like brothers...
Seems only fitting
Trujillo can go play with Ozzy :)

Seshmeister
04-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I know I'm in a minority here but could someone explain why Metallica are better than any number of a hundred heavy bands?

Riffs, songs, singing, lead, drumming - which scores over 6/10?

I was watching that film and thinking why does anyone give a shit apart from the comedy value?

Panamark
04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I know I'm in a minority here but could someone explain why Metallica are better than any number of a hundred heavy bands?

They did it first, I have never heard anything like
the first four Metallica albums at time of release.
Master of Puppets would have to be one of the
best ever metal albums in my opinion.
The planets aligned on that one..
Kinda like Back in Black, Fair Warning, Never Mind
the Bollocks... on and on.... etc etc...

Like Van Halen they spawned those hundreds of bands.

The classical sounding finger picked riffs that Hetfield
came up with were innovative too. (Simple, but something
new, different and effective) Riffs that were like,
Fuck why didnt I come up with that ??

Examples, Sanitarium, Fade to Black, even Nothing Else Matters
(which was played with no fretted notes, standard tuning)
If you lost your left arm you could still play the intro
to Nothing Else matters :biggrin:(Unless you are a lefty)

Simple as taking a piss, but they created it and it sounds cool...

Dunno Seshmeister, best I can describe it.. I believe they
were innovators.

atomicpunk5151
04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Riffs, songs, singing, lead, drumming - which scores over 6/10?
I was watching that film and thinking why does anyone give a shit apart from the comedy value?

I think FLEA explained it best when he introduced them. You can take a bunch of "All-star" players and put them together and it is usually shit.

BUT when you get the right combo of guys sometimes it just works. That's what happened with Metallica. James, Kirk, Lars & Cliff together were MORE then the sum of their parts.

I would say that the riffs and song are way over 6/10. Most of those songs are classics here in the US.

Singing? What do you want Mariah Carey? This is a Metal band. James is fine.

Kirks lead is at least a 6. Maybe a 7 if he would KILL his WAH pedal......

Bass could go over a 6 with Cliff.

Druming..well Lars gets maybe a 4 out of 10......lol!

FORD
04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I think FLEA explained it best when he introduced them. You can take a bunch of "All-star" players and put them together and it is usually shit.

Maybe Flea was referring to his drummer's current project? :biggrin:

Mr Walker
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Why isn't Alice Cooper in the HOF?

Seshmeister
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Examples, Sanitarium, Fade to Black, even Nothing Else Matters
(which was played with no fretted notes, standard tuning)

I'm going to go back and listen to that because I've just had a funny idea.

I was planning to play a set at my birthday party next year and it would be cool to play that on guitar then witch over to bass for Running with the Devil drinking a beer the whole time with my spare hand. :)

Then with another trigger on the drum kit I could do a Def Leppard song...

FORD
04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Why isn't Alice Cooper in the HOF?

I have no idea. :(

Panamark
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I was planning to play a set at my birthday party next year and it would be cool to play that on guitar then switch over to bass for Running with the Devil drinking a beer the whole time with my spare hand. :)

So basically you are going to play as per normal :biggrin: