PDA

View Full Version : DLR Live At Wembley, UK - 1988

chefcraig
04-11-2009, 12:25 PM
TripleThreatVideo2 (http://http://www.youtube.com/user/TripleThreatVideo2) has posted a terrific protion of Dave's performance in England from 1988 at this link (http://http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=david+lee+roth+wembley&aq=f). The footage and sound leave much to be desired, yet for curiousity's sake makes for some interesting viewing.

Here is one of the clips offered, a version of The Beatles' "I've Just Seen A Face".

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvEfXfu9Wpk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvEfXfu9Wpk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Antman
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Who's the third guitarist? Brett Tuggle? On the UK leg, he also did Wake Up Little Suzie acoustic. I have it on a CD boot somewhere but never saw any video.

vaijuju
04-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Who's the third guitarist? Brett Tuggle? On the UK leg, he also did Wake Up Little Suzie acoustic. I have it on a CD boot somewhere but never saw any video.

Yes it's him!(the blue guy)

UK ROCKER
11-14-2009, 06:27 AM
this brings back good memories, I went to Donington in 88 and also to a low key show that Dave did at the Hammy Odeon in the run up to or just after donington. Good times

Panamark
11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Geez these youtube bastards rip em offline quickly.....

binnie
11-16-2009, 08:11 AM
this brings back good memories, I went to Donington in 88 and also to a low key show that Dave did at the Hammy Odeon in the run up to or just after donington. Good times

What was Dave's performance at Donington like?

VHscraps
11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
What was Dave's performance at Donington like?

Okay - not brilliant. Shit sound - wind blowing 'round that place. And, the Dave show kept getting interrupted as they pulled bodies outta the crowd. I think two or three died. I rememberhaving to call my ma just to say 'don't worry, ma, I ain't dead' ...

It was muddy, the stage was at the bottom of a grassy hill, and the shyster promoters oversold the event. It was supposed to be 80-85,000, but the cops said afterwards that it was more like 120,000. Crush started in front of the stage during G'N'R, who were on immediately before Dave, and the bodies kept getting hauled out - live and the few dead - during Dave's show.

The big vibe that day was for G'N'R - it was just before they went mega, and the Appetite album sounded fresh.

Dave got some stick in the press afterwards for not stopping his show at first, but he had no idea what was goin' on until he probably saw the first dead guy.

Seshmeister
11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I had a bootleg of the show and Roth stops it a number of times. The 2 deaths happened during the GNR set not Roths.

It was up to the organizers to stop the show and I think their point was that that could be more dangerous.

There was a public inquiry into the cause of the deaths and failings of the security and their report is online somewhere.

Reverberator
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes , it was during guns set , luckily I was at the back getting pissed.

VHscraps
11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I had a bootleg of the show and Roth stops it a number of times. The 2 deaths happened during the GNR set not Roths.

It was up to the organizers to stop the show and I think their point was that that could be more dangerous.

There was a public inquiry into the cause of the deaths and failings of the security and their report is online somewhere.

Yeah, the deaths happened during G'N'R, but no one knew about the deaths until after - Axl left the stage saying 'don't kill yourselves' but they never knew people had died in the pile up until they were in a bar later on celebrating and they saw it on the TV news. The crush happened during G'N'Rs 'It's So easy' - big rush on the stage - but dead bodies were pulled out after G'N'R left the stage. I don't remember Megadeth, who followed G'NR stopping their set. I'm pretty certain it was during Dave's set that people caught in the crush started coming out. The two dead were at the bottomg of a pile-up of injured people, so they were pulled out last - after the other injured people.

Dave never knew what was going on and although he did stop his show, he did so reluctantly. A few stories in the UK music press the following week were accusing Dave of not doing enough to stop more crushing after the real crush that killed those two guys happened.

I saw three of those Monsters of Rock things - 84, 86 and 88 - and I always thought that it was a dodgy set-up. They basically took your money and put you in a field that got pretty dangerous when it rained - and in England, it can rain anytime. I always wondered why they never had it in Wembley or some other stadium. Probably because it would have ate into their profits to rent out a venue that could cope.

UK ROCKER
11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I did not see much of Dave's set as a group of us were getting CRUSHED at the front of the stage, It was fucking frightening, my chest felt like it was just going to cave in, my friend fell over and was nearly trampled to death as a result (he could not get back up)
After Dave's set we went to the St Johns ambulance tent as i had been chatting a nurse up in there earlier, I tried to joke around again with her but she then told me of what had happened , pulled a curtain back and there were these dead kids covered up ready to be taken away. It was fucking horrible. That day changed me that's for sure.

UK ROCKER
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
On the upside I met all the acts on the bill (except for Dave he declined the interview ) the night before Friday in BBC Nottingham as The Friday Rock Show was interviewing them etc.

Reverberator
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
And there I was getting pissed up at the back..... I miss fucking everything.

diamondsgirl
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Geez these youtube bastards rip em offline quickly.....

no shit! and I never get tired of hearing Dave cover that tune.

diamondsgirl
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
no shit! and I never get tired of hearing Dave cover that tune.

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shaun Ponsonby
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, the deaths happened during G'N'R, but no one knew about the deaths until after - Axl left the stage saying 'don't kill yourselves' but they never knew people had died in the pile up until they were in a bar later on celebrating and they saw it on the TV news. The crush happened during G'N'Rs 'It's So easy' - big rush on the stage - but dead bodies were pulled out after G'N'R left the stage.

I always found it odd that GNR used footage of that show in the Paradise City video.

It would be the last show I'd want to take footage from for a video.

Atomic_Rob
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the deaths happened during G'N'R, but no one knew about the deaths until after - Axl left the stage saying 'don't kill yourselves' but they never knew people had died in the pile up until they were in a bar later on celebrating and they saw it on the TV news. The crush happened during G'N'Rs 'It's So easy' - big rush on the stage - but dead bodies were pulled out after G'N'R left the stage. I don't remember Megadeth, who followed G'NR stopping their set. I'm pretty certain it was during Dave's set that people caught in the crush started coming out. The two dead were at the bottomg of a pile-up of injured people, so they were pulled out last - after the other injured people.

Dave never knew what was going on and although he did stop his show, he did so reluctantly. A few stories in the UK music press the following week were accusing Dave of not doing enough to stop more crushing after the real crush that killed those two guys happened.

I saw three of those Monsters of Rock things - 84, 86 and 88 - and I always thought that it was a dodgy set-up. They basically took your money and put you in a field that got pretty dangerous when it rained - and in England, it can rain anytime. I always wondered why they never had it in Wembley or some other stadium. Probably because it would have ate into their profits to rent out a venue that could cope.

As you probably know, they have Download Festival at Donington now which has replaced the Monsters of Rock show, but since the deaths in 1988, the area in front of the stage has changed and the crowd is now divided in two down the middle to the front of house desk a few hundred feet back from the front barrier. This is one way to stop massive crowd surges, the other would be too add a golden circle which is used a lot in stadium gigs.

I wasn't born until 88, but I would imagine a lot of shows felt slightly rough around the edges shall we say, considering the over the top World we live in today where you can't fart without a public enquiry being held somewhere.

DlocRoth
12-09-2009, 02:30 AM
object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Would be a great segue on the next VH tour.......

Or on record. Since a cover almost always sneaks on the album.

diamondsgirl
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Would be a great segue on the next VH tour.......

Or on record. Since a cover almost always sneaks on the album.

I would love it! :)

lewdicruss
02-25-2010, 02:29 AM
crap, missed it