PDA

View Full Version : So did that "new series" of Red Dwarf suck, or what?

FORD
04-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Seriously.... first 6 series of that show were great. Series 7, not so much. I still haven't seen Series 8.

So after a 10 year hiatus, they bring the show back for a three part mini series. In one word: POINTLESS.

I waited 10 years for this? Now I know how the Hagar sheep felt in 2004 :(

Panamark
04-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Well, you were both seeking the return of a "Red Dwarf"

FORD
04-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Can you get Red Dwarf down in Oz?

Panamark
04-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Yes ! I used to watch episodes randomly. The early stuff was very funny.
Didnt one of the main dudes die ??

FORD
04-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Nah, Rimmer was out for most of Series 7, but all the 4 main characters were back for this one. It was the fault of the writers.

And for those of you who don't know what the fuck we're talking about.... here's a highly evolved singing cat (and his friends) to explain.........

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpZKmUb6NBk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpZKmUb6NBk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Watched the first one, still to watch the other two.

You have to understand that Red Dwarf like most comedy differs from the US stuff in that there are only a couple of writers and eventually they just run out of steam. It's not like Frasier, Friends or the Simpsons where you have 20 people writing hundreds of episodes like a factory.

From what I've seen so far the main problem seems to be they've just ran out of gags.

Seshmeister
04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Watched the other two.

It may sound an odd thing to say but I think it really missed the audience laughter. Instead of filming in front of a live studio audience because there was lots of CGI stuff they couldn't. I thought it sounded weird without it.

Me thinking that is weird because over in the UK we used to get MASH without the laughter track and I much prefered it that way, I can't watch the American version.

Overall I thought RD was ok. I think you really had to be a Blade Runner fan to fully appreciate it, some the homage to it was even copying scenes shot by shot.

I was lucky having just watched Blade Runner again last week.

Panamark
04-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Sesh, you just made me realize that the re-runs of mash Im seeing on Fox have the
canned laughter, and I too found it different ! I couldnt quite put my finger on it,
I was thinking it must be the widescreen, or simply that the series is finally
becoming dated, but its actually that fake laughter !!

I cant think too much about the fake laugh track on any comedy shows, once
Im aware of it, I focus on it and it ruins the show...

binnie
04-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Watched the first one, still to watch the other two.

You have to understand that Red Dwarf like most comedy differs from the US stuff in that there are only a couple of writers and eventually they just run out of steam. It's not like Frasier, Friends or the Simpsons where you have 20 people writing hundreds of episodes like a factory.

From what I've seen so far the main problem seems to be they've just ran out of gags.

I think this is the problem with a lot of British comedy - one or two writers can usually produce around 3 series (18 episodes or so) of great material, but then it's all downhill. The way TV is funded, we just can't sustain 10 year runs like the Americans....

Seshmeister
04-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Sesh, you just made me realize that the re-runs of mash Im seeing on Fox have the
canned laughter, and I too found it different ! I couldnt quite put my finger on it,
I was thinking it must be the widescreen, or simply that the series is finally
becoming dated, but its actually that fake laughter !!

I cant think too much about the fake laugh track on any comedy shows, once
Im aware of it, I focus on it and it ruins the show...

There is a big differnce between canned laughter and the laighter of a studio audience though and most go for the latter these days.

Not sure about MASH. If the comedy is good enough and it's done properly you should never notice the laughter. eg I bet you never noticed there was laughter in Fawlty Towers...

Panamark
04-16-2009, 07:25 AM
There is a big differnce between canned laughter and the laighter of a studio audience though and most go for the latter these days

Agreed, at least real spontaneous laughter that can actually add to the comedy.

Not sure about MASH. If the comedy is good enough and it's done properly you should never notice the laughter. eg I bet you never noticed there was laughter in Fawlty Towers...

I never noticed laughter at all in Mash until you pointed this out.
Now I bet I wont be able to watch it again. Its canned what we
are getting st the moment..

Hawkeye: "Hey BJ I wonder if Hotlips is going to eat all of Frank's leftovers tonight" (Canned Laughter)

INCOMING WOUNDED INCOMING WOUNDED (chopper sound)
Clinger trips over in his high heels in the commotion (canned laughter)

Its like, WTF ?? I Know when to laugh, dont force me !!!

As for Basil Fawlty and the crew, that background laughter had
to be live... (Please dont fuck up another show !! lol)

I reckon theres a third sneaky laughter track, the
"Canned, but sounds like a real studio audience laugh track"

It sounds live, but you can hear exact repetitous patterns
at various random points. You see, I cant think about the laugh
track too much, it messes with me !!!
:hee::hee::hee::hee::hee::hee::hee:

FORD
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I think this is the problem with a lot of British comedy - one or two writers can usually produce around 3 series (18 episodes or so) of great material, but then it's all downhill. The way TV is funded, we just can't sustain 10 year runs like the Americans....

Most of the American shows that go that long have a serious drop in quality by the time they get there.

Of course the longest running comedy show in the US right now is a cartoon (The Simpsons) and that has its advantages. The characters don't age. A real life Bart Simpson would be pushing 30, and Grandpa would have kicked the bucket a long time ago. But that doesn't mean they haven't had some weak episodes over the years.

Seshmeister
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
The numbers these factories can push out are amazing. 270 episodes of Cheers(201 of which had Frasier) and then 263 of Frasier and very few are shit.

In terms of time Kelsey Grammer has been in 461 episodes of say 22 minutes.

If that were 88 minute films then it would be like having Frasier the movie come out followed by 113 sequels...