PDA

View Full Version : 'Day After Tomorrow': A lot of hot air

lucky wilbury
05-25-2004, 01:40 AM
http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=USATODAY.com+-+%27Day+After+Tomorrow%27%3A+A+lot+of+hot+air&expire=&urlID=10526977&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fnews%2Fopinion %2Feditorials%2F2004-05-24-michaels_x.htm&partnerID=1660

'Day After Tomorrow': A lot of hot air
By Patrick J. Michaels

As a scientist, I bristle when lies dressed up as "science" are used to influence political discourse. The latest example is the global-warming disaster flick, The Day After Tomorrow.
This film is propaganda designed to shift the policy of this nation on climate change. At least that's what I take from producer Mark Gordon's comment that "part of the reason we made this movie" was to "raise consciousness about the environment."

Fox spokesman Jeffrey Godsick says, "The real power of the movie is to raise consciousness on the issue of (global warming)."

'Nuff said.

Oh, the plot. Global warming causes the Gulf Stream to shut down. This current normally brings tropical warmth northward and makes Europe much more comfortable than it should be at its northerly latitude. The heat stays stuck in the tropics, the polar regions get colder, and the atmosphere suddenly flips over in a "superstorm." The frigid stratosphere trades places with our habitable troposphere, and in a matter of days, an ice age ensues. Temperatures drop 100 degrees an hour in Canada. Hurricanes ravage Belfast. Folks in Japan are clobbered by bowling-ball-size hailstones. If we had only listened to concerned scientists and stopped global warming when we could.

Each one of these phenomena is physically impossible.

Start with the Gulf Stream. Carl Wunsch, a professor of physical oceanography at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, knows more about ocean currents than most anyone. He thinks the nonsense in The Day After Tomorrow detracts from the seriousness of the global-warming issue. So he recently wrote in the prestigious science journal Nature that the scenario depicted in the movie requires one to "turn off the wind system, or to stop the Earth's rotation, or both."

The stratosphere will become the troposphere when all three laws of thermodynamics are repealed. Hailstones can't reach bowling-ball size because their growth is limited by gravity. Hurricanes can't hit Belfast because the intervening island of Ireland would destroy them.

How do I know so much about a movie that isn't out yet? I've seen the promos, and I've read and reviewed the book upon which it is based, The Coming Global Superstorm by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber. In Strieber's previous work, Communion, he explained that he was told of the Earth's upcoming apocalypse by aliens. And how this knowledge was communicated is much more the purview of an adult Web site than a family newspaper. What's on the movie's Web site is worse — nothing but out-and-out distortion.

It also insists that what is depicted on the screen has already started.

"Did you know," says the site, that there were more tornadoes recorded in May 2003 than in any other month?

I looked up federal tornado statistics, and indeed they're going up, and there was a peak in May 2003. Then I determined the number of radar stations and their type. When our first radar-tracking network was established in the 1960s and '70s, the number of tornadoes rose proportionally, then leveled off until the new Doppler radars came online in 1988. It took a decade to put this system in place, and the number of reported tornadoes went up accordingly.

Then I plotted the number of severe tornadoes. If anything, it's going down. So the flashy Doppler radars are merely detecting more weak storms that cause little, if any, damage.

The Web site also implies that global warming is making hurricanes worse. Christopher Landsea, the world's most aptly named hurricane scientist, has studied the maximum winds in these storms as measured by aircraft and finds a significant decline.

Global warming? Some scientists think climate change strengthens El Niño, the large atmospheric oscillation responsible for a variety of weather — both good and bad. El Niños are known to rip apart hurricanes. So it's more likely that climate change is weakening these storms than enhancing them.

Will Godsick and Gordon get their way? They're sure being aided and abetted by MoveOn.org, the liberal advocacy group and billionaire George Soros' policy toy. They've got Al Gore front and center, plumping the film. They've got their Web site using the movie to drum up support for legislation by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions, which only failed by 12 votes last fall. There's a huge drought out West, which a New York Times editorial blamed on global warming. The issue is hot enough to influence votes out there.

Remember that humans have slightly warmed the planet some in recent decades, but the correlation between Western drought and warming is zero.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone's freedom of expression. But remember that propaganda can have consequences. McCain's and Lieberman's measure mimics the United Nations' infamous Kyoto Protocol on global warming, which many scientists know will do nothing measurable about planetary temperature within the policy-relevant future. But it will cost money.

This isn't Hollywood's first attempt to scare people into its way of thinking. How about Jane Fonda in the 1979 anti-nuclear-power flick, The China Syndrome?

Twelve days after its release, the accident at Three Mile Island occurred. Despite the fact that it released only tiny amounts of radiation, the politics of that hysteria effectively killed any new nuclear plant.

Analogize the Western drought to Three Mile Island, and you get the idea.

Or how about the 1983 movie The Day After, whose purpose was to strengthen the nuclear-freeze movement. It failed.

The Day After Tomorrow is only one more day than The Day After, and it deserves the same fate. Lies cloaked as science should never determine how we live our lives.

Mr Grimsdale
05-25-2004, 01:57 AM
I can't believe anyone is taking it that seriously.

It's a Hollywood movie!!! Get a grip. It's supposed to be escapist nonsense. What next, how Spider Man II encourages people to get bitten by "la la" land spiders and jump of buildings hoping they'll be able to spin a web.

For fooks sake IT'S A MOVIE.

ELVIS
05-25-2004, 03:08 AM
LMAO!

:D

ELVIS
05-25-2004, 08:54 AM
algore front and center...:D

High Life Man
05-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Emmerich made "Independence Day" and "Godzilla," two of the worst movies EVER.

Sadly, this festering pile of dogshit will make a lot of money.

Ally_Kat
05-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
I can't believe anyone is taking it that seriously.

It's a Hollywood movie!!! Get a grip. It's supposed to be escapist nonsense. What next, how Spider Man II encourages people to get bitten by "la la" land spiders and jump of buildings hoping they'll be able to spin a web.

For fooks sake IT'S A MOVIE.

that's what sane peopel say hun. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are taking this as serious as an official scientific statement.

Dr. Love
05-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Holy shit the world is going to EXPLODE you guys!! WTFUX, why are you not taking this shit seriously!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ELVIS
05-25-2004, 02:25 PM
If Art Bell and Whitley Strieber say it.. it's gospel...

:rolleyes:

Ally_Kat
05-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Grimsdale, this is one example --

Hollywood's chilling disaster movie puts spotlight on global warming
Tue May 25, 2:39 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Hollywood's lust for destruction and disaster turns to global warming for inspiration for the first time in "The Day After Tomorrow," which sees New York flooded, New Delhi pounded by massive snowstorms and London and Paris frozen over.

The plot seems a little too chilling for some experts.

But they are still happy to see a public spotlight put on the problem with the 125 million dollar movie, directed by Roland Emmerich of "Independence Day" fame, which hits screens on Friday.

"Whether its premise is valid or not, or possible or not, the very fact it's about climate change could help to spur debate and dialogue," said Gretchen Cook-Anderson a spokeswoman for the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

"In the event that the movie is popular beyond American borders, it will be an opportunity to spur dialogue, to inform people and educate people about climate changes."

Emmerlich made his name with aliens bringing the near destruction of the world in effects-laden "Independence Day".

The cause of the trouble is nearer to home in "The Day After Tomorrow" which tells how global warming could cause climate change, a new ice age and all the disasters that would entail.

The warming Earth melts the polar ice caps, which yield fresh water. Fresh water is lighter than the salt water of the seas, and forms a lid over it. That lid slows and stops the oceans' natural circulation, beginning in the warm tropics toward the colder, northern latitudes.

Dennis Quaid plays a climatologist who warns of the looming disaster and then has to cope with it faster than even he expected as tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tidal waves, and floods lash the planet.

The Houses of Parliament in London and the Eiffel Tower in Paris are both buried in ice and snow.

Ten thousand years ago, the Earth saw a mini-ice age called the Younger-Dryas period, according to David Adamec, a scientist and scriptwriter consulted for the film.

"The premise of the movie is that if you interrupt that heat being transported to the poles, all of a sudden you set up an imbalance in motion which brings on an ice age," said Adamec, an oceanographer at Goddard Space Center outside Washington.

"It takes place catastrophically over the course of a few days."

But this is Hollywood.

"Even the Younger Dryas period happened over decades and decades," said Adamec, who read the script before shooting began.

"I looked at the screenwriter and said, 'you know, it's not realistic.' He said: 'Yes, I know -- it's a movie'."

In one part, a storm brings air temperatures of minus 100 to minus 120 degrees Celsius (minus 148 to minus 184 degrees Fahrenheit) that flash-freezes people where they stand.

"Well, that can't happen" Adamec said.

"When air descends from the upper altitude, it's compressed, so it warms up, like in a bicycle pump when you compress air you can feel that it's warm. That's ignored in the movie," he said.

Adamec, like other experts and activists who favor lowering greenhouse gas emissions, still welcomed the attention the film is drawing.

"If it gets people interested in the problem, that's great. That way, individual people make a more informed decision about where they want their government and policy to go."

The world premier in New York will be accompanied by a demonstration in favor of protecting the environment to be attended by former vice president Al Gore.

Gore said, "Millions of people will be coming out of theaters on Memorial Day weekend asking the question: 'Could this really happen?' I think we need to answer that question."

The director said the film has even larger pretensions.

"The threat of global climate change is the only problem big enough to force all the countries of the world to stop fighting and work together to save the planet," Emmerich said.

Whether that's another impossible idea, only time will tell.

knuckleboner
05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
eh...nowhere do the scientists say that the film is good science.

they just say that if it spurs people to look into the issue, they're happy.

what's the harm, there?

how many people bitched that, "armageddon" AND "deep impact" were both pretty poor in terms of science? (REAL poor...)

High Life Man
05-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
how many people bitched that, "armageddon" AND "deep impact" were both pretty poor in terms of science? (REAL poor...)

And poor in terms of movie making.

lucky wilbury
05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
with those other films you never had current and ex politicans use it to push some sort of agenda.

Mr Grimsdale
05-27-2004, 11:11 AM
My argument is it's a fookin' film. Ignore it. It's just entertainment, and probably second rate entertainment at that.

The funniest thing about the film is the warning in the trailers for it over here.

"This film contains extended scenes of peril"

I mean, for fooks sake will people get a grip. It's a disaster movie, what the fook do people expect to see?

The world has gone soft in the head. Next McDonalds adverts, "Warning this commercial contains scenes of unhealthy food which if eaten in large quantities may have long term health effects".

GET A GRIP!!!!!

It's like people suing tobacco companies. Jaysus H Christ!!! The dangers/potentials dangers/whatever have been discussed for years, they weren't forced to smoke and literally burn their money, they did it freely. Ordinary people need to take some responsibility for their actions.

...AND GET A FOOKIN' GRIP BEFORE I GET A GRIP ROUND THEIR SCRAWNY LITTLE NECKS!

JAYSUS PEOPLE REALLY PISS ME OFF!!!!

John Ashcroft
05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I wish we had some good surf like that in the NY area! That'd be bitchin!

(Of course, I'd have to go up and save Ally first)

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
I wish we had some good surf like that in the NY area! That'd be bitchin!

(Of course, I'd have to go up and save Ally first)

We got surfing. You and me can take a trip to Rockaway Beach

FORD
05-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
We got surfing. You and me can take a trip to Rockaway Beach

Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is out and I want some.
It's not hard, not far to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach.
Up on the roof, out on the street
Down in the playground the hot concrete
Busride is too slow
They blast out the disco on the radio
Rock Rock Rockaway Beach
Rock Rock Rockaway Beach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach
It's not hard, not far to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach.

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 03:05 PM
I know you want to come along, FORD.

FORD
05-27-2004, 03:35 PM
So are you "sitting there in Queens, eating refried beans, reading all the magazines, and gulping down Thorazines" ?? ;)

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 03:48 PM
What are Thorazines?

But seriously, Forest Hills is the town to the northeast of me. Everybody is a Ramones fan here.

FORD
05-27-2004, 03:59 PM
I guess thorazine was big in the 70's as a drug prescribed for mental illness or something.

And I would hope everybody there is a Ramones fan. Is it true that they named streets after Joey & DeeDee?

And if not, why the Hell not?

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 04:06 PM
I dunno about any streets named after them. I haven't seen any.

FORD
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
It's a damn outrage! :mad:

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Just cuz I havne't seen it doesn't mean it's not there. I'll ask around