PDA

View Full Version : Best shit to clean your strings and guitar with ?

Panamark
05-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Whats the best way to clean those strings and neck after
a hot sweaty workout ?? I use alcohol on a cloth for the
strings and just straight out polish for the neck.

Whats some other proven cleaning methods ?

ashstralia
05-25-2004, 10:01 AM
i've used finger ease for years,
and at gigs you can stick a lighter
in front of the can and spray for a good gene simmons
impersonation. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
i think it's naptha.

alexpgrimes
05-25-2004, 02:42 PM
I just use Pledge...lol. makes everything smell lemon fresh..

BrownSound1
05-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Alcohol works great, as does Acetone. I ran my strings through a machine called a vapor degreaser years ago, and it worked great. It was filled with 1,1,1 trichloroethane, and that substance will remove oil better than any other in the world. Too bad the shit has been outlawed because of the CFC hazard. ;)

Mr Grimsdale
05-31-2004, 04:41 PM
...it's also highly carcinogenic!

Viking
06-11-2004, 09:02 PM
It's been years since I've even gotten close to a guitar, but I used to clean my Les Paul knockoff with Windex, followed by Pledge on the neck.

YankeeRose
06-12-2004, 03:56 AM
window cleaners, alcohol and etc will dry out the wood. Get some stuff called Murphy's Oil Soap. Dilute it 1 part Murphy's to about 5 parts water, spray on and wipe off with a clean cloth. May take some buffing, but this will clean your strings and guitar without damaging the wood...actually it'll condition the wood while it cleans.

SavageHenry
06-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Concentrated Hydroflouric acid will remove all oil and grime but make sure that you are wearing rubber gloves.

BrownSound1
06-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Hydroflouric? Hell no, if that shit gets on your skin then you are fucked...as in gotta cut an arm off because it will eat the bone.

ashstralia
06-14-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah, i wouldn't be using anything that
serious!

GAR
06-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I snip small pieces of 3M Scotch brand green-ScotchBRITE™ in 2x2" inch squares. I wrap a piece folded under the string then pull it up and down the neck, sliding the full length but with care not to let the pad touch the neck or body or pickups cuz it will scratch it up.

ScotchBrite™ will remove all grime from the wound strings, and any rust or KooKooROO shit off the plain solid strings. Then, I'd follow up with a small 2x2" terry piece of sock cloth or cumrag towel and squirt some WD-40©™ and slide that into the strings the same way, up and down. That will remove any remaining rust fragments and moisture out (WD- stands for "Water Displacement"-) of the string and onto the cloth.

Rubbing Alcohol is perfect for both plain woods: ebony, paduak (the fake rosewood in Squiers Alvararez's and Rickenbackers) and real rosewood, but once grime is removed near the frets, follow up with Pure Lemon Oil - a little bit goes a long ways on them 2x2" inch cloth pads.

No lemon oil? Once a year or two years application should keep the fingerboard moist, but what else can you do? I use Lemon Pledge Furniture Wax Spray on both neck AND painted body, or clear lacquered areas ALL THE TIME. Lemon Pledge is shaken very well, then just sprayed directly on the body and neck in a few spots, then rubbed like a clit in circular formations until water moisture and wax are cloudy together in the form of a paste. THEN taking a clean piece, wipe the paste off. THEN turn the clean side over and finish buffing till its dry and mirrorlike.

Lemon Pledge is fine on the fingerboard but you musn't spray on the strings because the formula never mixed the water and wax parts well, so it tends to rust the strings. Either tape off the strings to the side with masking tape and the tension slack, or with no strings. Then, take a large portion of cumrag or a whole sock and just grab then neck and briskly rub it tightly - the frets will polish up really really good but you have to stroke the neck up and down really hard to buff out both fingerboard and neck. It ensures all the moisure is drawn off the fingerboard too, like jacking off. If it ain't warm when you finish, you didn't rub hard or long enough on it.

Music Store Polish:

Gibson Spray- excellent shit, dries fast, smells nicey and less smearable than Pledge.

Tres Amigos- they have a few different things, like carnuba wax paste which takes a drying phase but works excellent and buffs out really fucking hard and non-smearable. Worth the cost, one kit I had came in a kit of 3 pastes and oils.

Dean Markley Carnuba Paste- hey, carnuba's the hardest wax known, which is why it's used to protect paint on cars, boats and anything with a nice appearance finish or shine.. IMO any carnuba in a paste that dries to a hard crust and buffs off to a glasslike shine is a good one, but Dean Marley's paste SMELLS the best and buffs off with less effort so it must be more refined. Best shit, no lies 5 ***** Stars, that stuff.

CHEAP GUITAR POLISH

Safety Razor Blade Trick- scrapes the filth between the frets.. plus any blood, cum, sweat and puke, right down to the raw wood like brand new. A MUSIC STORE REPAIR/REFURB TRICK. Try it. You should all have a few in your guit bag.

AquaNET™- You fucking HOMO, I seen your shit glory pics from your daze in that hair-metal band Wigs N' Boots© from the 80's? But you know what, that old can of hair spray works alright on the fingerboard in a pinch. Spray on, wipe off. Just like the anal lube off your ghey HairMETAL™ ass in the old days (I won't tell the wife if you don't).

Fingernail Polish- we used this crap like the red, white or black in the Goth days, right? WRONG You did, not me. I never had a phase like that, but I did use nailpolish on potentiometer and jack plug nut threads - cuz it works bitchin' like ThreadLock compound. Keeps your Nuts tight. And your nails ghey.. and pretty if that's your bent..

Elmer's White Glue- Use this smeared liberally in the neck pocket of a strat project you want to be sure not to have the neck move. Get a small bottle, the one they charge too much for: reason being, you should have a small bottle around that won't spill in case of emergencies or anything else instead of a big bottle that will leak in the ol' guit bag, make a mess, then get thrown out. In this case, smaller is better so don't buy a big econo size. Must have Elmers'!

Naptha- this fluid as mentioned earlier does a neat job of safely removing crud from guitar finishes that won't come off undamaging like band stickers or nailpolish or paint, even Krazy Glue. Trouble is, it comes by the quart so you'll be hard pressed to find a small bottle to pour in just to have for the guit bag or toolbox. Tiny hobby bottles that don't LEAK hopefully.

There's some helpful tips kiddees.. I'm saving the REAL classified data to trade for a blowjob from the Pope at the Vatican next time I'm in town.

Mezro
06-14-2004, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Panamark
Whats the best way to clean those strings and neck after
a hot sweaty workout ?? [QUOTE]

Urine

Mezro...hose it down with your hog:D

Cathedral
06-21-2004, 03:02 AM
I had a Cat that sprayed my axe once and it earned his black ass a trip to the quarry, one way.

A year of Lemon Oil treatments finally got it smelling nifty again.

Man, cat Spray fucking stinks like a mother fucker...

GAR
06-22-2004, 08:07 PM
This crackhead freind of mine was raising Abysinnian kitties, and they got into his Anvil cases and sprayed 'em pretty bad.

Nailed his 3-foot high pile of tangled-up guitar cords.

Guess who wrapped up his shit for him because he was out of it and couldn't do it?

THAT was fucked up. Round n round, wrapping cat cunt-cream all around my wrists and elbows, mucking it up between my fingers and nails.. either that, wrap em up with the catcrap and all, or the guy woulda lost 500 dollars worth of cables as he was gettin evicted.

I KNOW the smell alright..

ZahZoo
06-25-2004, 03:00 PM
The best thing is avoid all the chemicals... For strings just a clean dry cloth. Once they start getting too gunged up or corroded change em!! If you play much they will be flat spoting on the fret side anyways and losing tone.

Guitar body... dry soft cloth. If you must use a polish use something non-wax or better yet clean it real good and use a high quality carnuba wax on it to protect it.

Neck... if it's sealed a most cloth and non-wax polish. Unsealed use naptha or mineral spirits followed by a top quality wood oil.