PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! This one slipped under the radar. Where is the media when you need them.

ULTRAMAN VH
04-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Obama's Hypocrisy
Shikha Dalmia, 04.17.09, 12:00 AM EDT
He nixed D.C.'s school voucher program just as positive results were coming in.

Perhaps hard-bitten cynics aren't surprised by the quiet ruthlessness with which this administration has deep-sixed a popular D.C. school voucher program. But for everyone else--or, rather, everyone else not in bed with teachers' unions--its conduct has to come as a total shock.

D.C. public schools are violent, chaotic places that have among the highest dropout--and the lowest graduation--rates in the country. In 2007, D.C.'s fourth- and eighth-grade students scored lower than children from all 50 states on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), the nation's most reliable standardized test. Less than half of its children are "proficient"--meaning they perform at grade-level--in reading and math.

Yahoo! BuzzAgainst this grim reality, one would have thought an administration that ran on the theme of hope would do anything to nurture a program that offers a way out of D.C.'s hope-killing factories and into other schools.

Instead, the Obama administration has done everything in its power to strangle it. Obama cheerfully signed a spending bill that gratuitously included a provision phasing out the program next year unless Congress expressly reauthorizes it. Of course, making water flow uphill will be easier than winning approval from a Democrat-controlled Congress with strong ties to the teachers' unions who contributed $50 million to Obama's campaign.

As if that wasn't a big enough obstacle, no sooner had the ink dried on the law than Education Secretary Arne Duncan rescinded the scholarship offer to children admitted for next year, making the program's shuttering a fait accompli.

And now it turns out that, while the program's fate was being sealed in Congress, the administration deliberately sat on a study its own Department of Education completed weeks earlier. Why? Because the study found not that the program was failing, but that it was succeeding.

In fact, the program, with per-pupil costs that are a third of what D.C. public schools spend, is producing solid gains for the 1,700 predominantly poor and minority children it serves. Indeed, the first batch of children who received vouchers from the program for private schools is now 19 months ahead of its public school peers in reading--which is why there are four applicants for every available slot.

But transparency is not the only principle the administration has sacrificed in this matter. In fact, the layers of hypocrisy underlying its conduct would make even Machiavelli blush.

First: This administration has proudly boasted that it would make a decisive break with its predecessor's habit of ignoring science when it clashed with policy objectives. And concerning the D.C. program in particular, President Obama had assured that he would let evidence settle its fate. "Let's see if it [the voucher program] works," he said during the campaign. "And if it does, whatever my preconceptions, you do what's best for the kids." Yet far from being led by the scientific evidence, he concealed it.

Second: The administration has been airdropping money across the country in an alleged attempt to stimulate the economy. Indeed, it increased education spending 10-fold for two years in its $750 billion stimulus package that includes, among other things, money to weather-proof school buildings. It has also been pouring trillions of dollars into failed banks and auto companies. Yet it didn't think it fit to spend an infinitesimal $14 million on a thriving program that makes a palpable difference in the lives of children desperately in need of help.

Third: President Obama has promised to lead the most ethical administration, one immune from the corruption of special-interest politics. Yet he offered not even a pretense of resistance to the biggest Democratic interest group: teachers unions--even though it is evident that what's driving their opposition to this program is not principle but naked self-interest.

To be sure, unions have long pretended to oppose vouchers not because they are afraid of competition but because vouchers drain resources from public school children. But the D.C. program didn't do that. In fact, precisely to address this objection, the program was structured to keep D.C. public schools financially stable, meaning they lose no funding when their students transfer elsewhere. If anything, they have more money to spend on the remaining children. Obama would have done all D.C. children a service by pointing out this inconvenient truth--but he chose to remain silent.

Four: The most blatant hypocrisy involves Obama's personal parental decisions. He chose to send his own daughters to Sidwell Friends, a private school among D.C.'s most exclusive institutions whose annual tuition runs around $30,000. If he felt so strongly that offering children an exit route would stymie the reform of public schools, then why not put his own daughters in one? Jimmy Carter did. This would not only please unions--prompting them to open up their war chest even more in the next elections--but also signal his resolve about reform. If he didn't, that's presumably because his daughters' futures are too precious to be sacrificed on the altar of politics. But, evidently, the futures of other children are not.

Incidentally, among the children who will have to return to public school once this program is scrapped are two of his daughter's schoolmates, who were using their vouchers to attend Sidwell. It's sad that Obama's message of hope and change doesn't include children like them.

Shikha Dalmia is a senior analyst at the Los Angeles-based Reason Foundation.

Forbes.com - Business News, Financial News, Stock Market Analysis, Technology & Global Headline News (http://www.forbes.com)

sadaist
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I've always wondered why so many people consider it the governments responsibility to make sure our children learn in school, are proficient, and don't drop out. I just assumed it was each individuals parents' job to do that.

ULTRAMAN VH
04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I've always wondered why so many people consider it the governments responsibility to make sure our children learn in school, are proficient, and don't drop out. I just assumed it was each individuals parents' job to do that.

Agreed, but unfortunately parenting is at a premium these days. I witness is it daily through the juvenile court system. Parents loose control of their kids and demand that the Masters enforce discipline via home detention or detention in a juvenile facility.

Dr. Love
04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I consider it a governmental duty because it is a way for us as a country to invest in the future of our society so that our country is able to maintain its ability to compete in the world.

And it's failing pretty hard. Good for me because I have less domestic competition and can get ahead of others more easily. Bad for me because I have to pay the broader price with everyone else.

mwsully
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Being a public school teacher myself, I'd be interested to know how they funded the program without pulling from public school monies. Was it privately funded or through some government program? And about those 1700 students? How were they chosen to receive the funding?

sadaist
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I consider it a governmental duty because it is a way for us as a country to invest in the future of our society so that our country is able to maintain its ability to compete in the world.

If parents can not take responsibility for their own children, they don't deserve to be able to compete in this world. And to compete, one must have some level of self determination. The school drop out & failure rates show very little of this.

Dr. Love
04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't think that's a realistic point of view. It punishes children for the actions (or lack of action) of their parents. It overlooks a lot of cases where kids have parents that for a variety of reasons may not be able of providing an education (where the kid has parents at all).

Additionally, many kids are irresponsible and do stupid things. You can't expect them to show self-determination as a blanket statement. Not with the way our culture is evolving.

And finally, that point of view punishes everyone in the long run. If there is no concerted effort to improve the quality of education (and thereby enabling people to improve the quality of their own lives) then you can almost certainly expect a deterioration of quality over time among the population, both in terms of education and quality of life.

Telling people that it's their problem and they should have done better sounds like a good idea but I think it ignores the cost to society and to everyone as a result.

mwsully
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Unfortunately, what we expect and what is true are so different when it comes to parenting.

I personally work in a Title I school: a low socioeconomic population of students. I have to say that family poverty is a huge burden on the development of the majority of children here. Granted, there are some that have been able to overcome their home environments and be at or above grade level academically. But most are struggling just to catch up to their peers.

The two major problems we have in public schools as I see it is 1. some have way more money to use than others, because the families donate via PTA, Home and School Club, etc. Those monies can provide a mulititude of extracurricular programs, tutoring, improving the overall atmosphere of the school, and especially for field trips, which are a huge cost to schools. Title I schools, by definition, do not have that kind of financial support. Yes, we do get some monies through federal programs, but we are severely limited as to how we can use it. Even so, we don't even come close to the amount generated in high income neighborhood schools.
2. How we measure academic performance is seriously flawed. Period.

My personal opinion: public schools are failing because some want to see it fail and are enacting ridiculous policies to make it so. Certain people don't feel right financially supporting children other than their own.
To me, it looks like we're slowing moving back to the privileged having exclusive access to education.

Kristy
04-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Being a public school teacher myself, I'd be interested to know how they funded the program without pulling from public school monies. Was it privately funded or through some government program? And about those 1700 students? How were they chosen to receive the funding?

Probably through academic merit or socio-economic status.

mwsully
04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
If parents can not take responsibility for their own children, they don't deserve to be able to compete in this world. And to compete, one must have some level of self determination. The school drop out & failure rates show very little of this.

Sadaist, I commend your idealism, but it's naive. We, as a country, cannot afford to think that way.

hideyoursheep
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Agreed, but unfortunately parenting is at a premium these days. I witness is it daily through the juvenile court system. Parents loose control of their kids and demand that the Masters enforce discipline via home detention or detention in a juvenile facility.

Parents (in many cases single parents) lost control when it became necessary to work odd hours and lose control of what their children were doing while not under their supervision. Since you've seen the court system operate, you'll agree that it isn't geared towards the child's best interest when it comes to divorce and such-single parenting is being subsidized and the courts also make money off of it. Example; Paying your ex 4 g's a month doesn't guarantee your crotchfruit will be raised properly by any means

IMO, control was lost when parents AND teachers lost the ability to whoop that ass whenever it was needed.

sadaist
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Sadaist, I commend your idealism, but it's naive. We, as a country, cannot afford to think that way.

It's not idealism, it's common sense. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for quality schools that provide the "opportunity" for everyone to learn & have a solid foundation of education. However, I disagree that we need to carry them through if they fail. Just as I believe a business should be able to fail without government intervention, I also believe an individual should be allowed to fail. Provide the resources & opportunities...from there it's up to each person what they do with it.

You can't blame poverty. Just like the above example of poor students from the same type class families at the same school...some fail, but some succeed. That's the way life is. Otherwise we'd all be rich, living in beach houses with the hot cheerleader from high school. This goes back to my statement of personal determination. If someone wants something badly enough, and is aware of the available resources, they'll find a way.

This is still the land of opportunity, but you can't have the great dreams of success if there is not also a chance of failure.

sadaist
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM

And it's failing pretty hard. Good for me because I have less domestic competition and can get ahead of others more easily. Bad for me because I have to pay the broader price with everyone else.

Notice the more government spends on education the worse it's gets?

ULTRAMAN VH
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Parents (in many cases single parents) lost control when it became necessary to work odd hours and lose control of what their children were doing while not under their supervision. Since you've seen the court system operate, you'll agree that it isn't geared towards the child's best interest when it comes to divorce and such-single parenting is being subsidized and the courts also make money off of it. Example; Paying your ex 4 g's a month doesn't guarantee your crotchfruit will be raised properly by any means

IMO, control was lost when parents AND teachers lost the ability to whoop that ass whenever it was needed.

Good points, single moms and dads have to work and shiftwork is always an issue, allowing the so called "crotchfruit" plenty of time to get into trouble. Going to school in the 70's was quite different than now. I remember we had a certain tough guy in class wreaking havok and our principal marched him out in front of the class, bent him over his knee and proceeded to whoop his ass with a paddle. I distinctly remember the paddle was modified with drilled holes in the wood for added performance. Needless to say, after witnessing the so called tough guy cry like a three year old who just dropped his lolipop in the mud, made me less apt to be a trouble maker. Today juveniles have been given way to much power over authority and it is really quite sickening.

LoungeMachine
04-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Because an educated populace is CHEAPER and MORE PRODUCTIVE in the long run.

Not so much "responsibility", but in the Country's best interest. If we dont invest in our childrens' educations, we're foolish.

History proves me right.

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I just thought it was funny to note that ULTRAMAN VH posted an article complaining about the phasing out of a government program. Yet Obama is the hypocrite? lol.

Nickdfresh
04-24-2009, 08:34 PM
It's not idealism, it's common sense. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for quality schools that provide the "opportunity" for everyone to learn & have a solid foundation of education. However, I disagree that we need to carry them through if they fail. Just as I believe a business should be able to fail without government intervention, I also believe an individual should be allowed to fail. Provide the resources & opportunities...from there it's up to each person what they do with it.

You can't blame poverty. Just like the above example of poor students from the same type class families at the same school...some fail, but some succeed. That's the way life is. Otherwise we'd all be rich, living in beach houses with the hot cheerleader from high school. This goes back to my statement of personal determination. If someone wants something badly enough, and is aware of the available resources, they'll find a way.

This is still the land of opportunity, but you can't have the great dreams of success if there is not also a chance of failure.

Um, actually statistics and a whole lot of research clearly show you can blame poverty. Most kids live and die within the class they are born. And the American provincial system of school funding is almost wholly dependent on the local tax base. Yes, theoretically they can make it, but face obstacles. Even if they do "make-it" in high school, so what? What do they have to look forward to beyond that? There's little chance most will afford college...

Nickdfresh
04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Notice the more government spends on education the worse it's gets?

LOL Really? You have anything to back this up? Gee, I always thought that wealthy, suburban districts were the ones with the highest success rates and college attendance for their graduates. Silly me! What was I thinking?

hideyoursheep
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
LOL Really? You have anything to back this up? Gee, I always thought that wealthy, suburban districts were the ones with the highest success rates and college attendance for their graduates. Silly me! What was I thinking?

The right calls that personal reponsibility.
We can't have a level playing field in the school systems-that would be called redistribution of wealth.

Who would want that? ;)

Nitro Express
04-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Once parenting slips on a mass scale, every level of society goes down the shithole with it.

hideyoursheep
04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
You gotta check 'em!

Especially in those early teen years.

mwsully
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
You gotta check 'em!

Especially in those early teen years.

:lmao:

Douglas T.
04-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Yep!!

sadaist
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
You have anything to back this up?

ABSOLUTELY not

;)

Nickdfresh
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Ha! I've give you cred for that one...