PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Arlen Specter (R, PA) a Bluedog Democrat?

Nickdfresh
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Sources: Specter intends to switch parties

By DAVID ESPO – 9 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Several officials say veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania intends to switch parties, advancing his own hopes of winning a new term next year while pushing Democrats one step closer to a 60-vote filibuster-resistant majority.

The sources said an announcement could come later in the day — or Wednesday. The officials who provided the information did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss his plans.

Specter is a 79-year-old veteran of five Senate terms, and one of only a handful of moderate Republicans left in Congress in a party made up largely of conservatives.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5izxqkXsWUfp0v_OlXqf3BsVaYSVwD97RIK2O3) All rights reserved.

LoungeMachine
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
:D

Welcome to the bright side, Arlen.

:gulp:

FORD
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.strongmuseum.org/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rev_batman_robin2.jpg
HOLY MAGIC BULLET, BATMAN!! Does this mean the Repuke obstructionism is over?

Only if we get The Joker Norm Coleman to go away, Robin.

sadaist
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't agree with anyone changing parties mid-term. Their constituents vote them in on a particular set of beliefs, and it's their job to uphold those as best they can. If you are going to change, do it at the time of an election. Plus it seems on the surface as if he's only doing this to ensure he gets re-elected, and not so much on personal beliefs (we'll see as more comes to light on this story). This will alienate the republicans, and democrats won't easily trust a long time member of the opposing party...so what votes is he expecting to get?

Nickdfresh
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Being a Republican or Democrat is in itself not a "set of beliefs." And a lot of ex-GOPers such as Specter saw it the other way around, that the party they joined alienated and marginalized its moderate wing long ago to pursue an agenda catering to zealots and phonies...

fryingdutchman
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
He pulled the trigger today...

From Reuters...

Senator Arlen Specter abandoned the Republican Party for President Barack Obama's Democrats on Tuesday, putting them within reach of a 60-seat majority that could give them absolute control of the Senate.

"This is a painful decision," Specter told reporters of the stunning decision which boosted his 2010 re-election chances to a sixth six-year term by sidestepping a tough challenge in the Republican primary from conservative Pat Toomey.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid promptly welcomed Specter, 79, into the ranks of Democrats, who together with him now control 59 seats in the 100-member Senate. Democrats will reach 60 if they hold on to a contested Minnesota Senate race.

A 60-vote majority would be enough to override Republican procedural hurdles and muscle through key parts of Obama's agenda, including measures to provide health insurance to all Americans and combat global warming while moving the nation toward energy independence.

The last time either party held 60 Senate seats was in 1978, when the Democrats had 61. Democrat Al Franken, who won the vote tally in Minnesota, would be the 60th but Republican incumbent Norm Coleman is challenging the count in court.

"Since my election in 1980 ... the Republican Party has moved far to the right," Specter said in a statement explaining his decision. "I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."

KNOWN AS A MODERATE

Specter said in the statement posted on his campaign Web site, "My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats than I have been for the Republicans."

An administration official said Obama was handed a note during his daily economic briefing at the White House that said Specter would announce he was changing parties.

A few minutes later, the official said Obama reached Specter and told him "you have my full support" and that Democrats were "thrilled to have you."

Specter, who had been one of the Senate's few Republican moderates, had a reputation for crossing the political aisle.

He caught the ire of conservatives in Pennsylvania last February when he was one of three Senate Republicans to vote for Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus plan.

Senator Olympia Snowe, another Republican moderate, said, "Many Republicans feel alienated and disaffected from the Republican Party," which has been floundering since Democrats last year won the White House and expanded their control of Congress.

Recent polls showed Specter trailing in his bid to win the Republican nomination for re-election and more popular among Democrats than Republicans.

LoungeMachine
04-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't agree with anyone changing parties mid-term. ?

I agree with this statement 100%

But right now, I dont give a shit about Arlen's voters.

I only care about what the Republican Party has done, and IS doing to this country, and this Republic.

2 wars, economic collapse, and a shredded Constitution all at the hands of Republican controlled government.

THEY CAN STFU AND TAKE A BACK SEAT FOR A WHILE NOW.

They showed us all what they're capable of, and it aint pretty.

Will the Dems do better this time? dunno. But since right now they're the only viable alternative to REPUKE CONTROL, I'm willing to give them support.

I applaud Arlen for telling the RNC in no uncertain terms: You're not MY party anymore, and not the GOP I joined

Maybe this is another in a long string of WAKEUP CALLS the RNC/GOP need.

Maybe if enough people BOLT from them, they'll wake the fuck up and STOP letting idiots take them over. [list too long to post]

Cheers, Allen!!!!!!!

Eat it, RepUkes

swage33
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
If this selfish fuck sits with the majority he can chair some committees...fuck him. Embrace him as a friend...thats what his old friends did.

FORD
04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.mikemalloy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/party-pooper1.jpg

Mike's Daily Blog

Goodbye! And thanks for all the fish!

April 28th, 2009

Around lunch time today in Washington the faint smell of urine could be detected wafting from Republican Party headquarters. The entire Party leadership had just peed its pants on hearing the news that Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter had switched caucuses and joined the Democrats.

Oh, my! That means several things, of course, to the Death Party - formerly known as the Limbot Party and before that, the Republican Party. First, the Death Party’s persistent attempts to continue its destruction of America will now abate a bit. (Not completely. Not as long as the Pigman, Hannity, Scarborough, Beck and the rest of the Media Brown Shirts continue to shred and mock whatever is left of the truly patriotic cohesion that at one time identified this society.) Second, The Death Party now comes even closer to being what its leaders want it to be: A regional ( i.e. the States of the Old Confederacy) collection of Yahoos and gun freaks, Christers, racists, women-haters and half-wits. Third, the impending collapse of the Death Party as the obstructionist, violently anti-Constitution, war-loving, torture obsessed, freak show now moves one giant step closer to oblivion.

Can I get an amen on that?

Thank you.

The most fun part of Specter’s switcheroo was the reaction from the Death Party’s leadership - especially the pretend head of the Republican Party, the chairman his own Limbaugh shufflin’ self, “Uncle” Michael Steele. It was almost embarrassing watching Uncle Mike jivin’ and dissin’ ol’ Arlen, talkin’ ’bout how when the next primary season comes around the Pennsylvania Death Party is gonna “take former Republican Senator Specter out.” Uh-hunh. Take him “out.” “Out.” Like what, Uncle Mike? Kill him? ‘Zat what you mean by “take him out?” Or are you just trying to be all manly and tough and talk like NRA dude Wayne (”The Peter”) LaPierre? C’mon, Uncle Mike. Shuckin’ and jivin’ for a living is one thing, but, really, do you have to pretend you enjoy it??? The white folks are laughing, you know.

After the warm-up act of “Uncle” Michael Steele, the headliners all lined up in what appeared to be the hallway outside the nearest Senate urinal (See first sentence above.) There they were, standing in expressionless silence like a bunch of 19th century Southern plantation owners waiting for the auction to begin. Ol’ Mitch McConnell spoke first, lamenting (or hoping for?) the apparent political death of Specter The Traitor. Half swallowing - as he always does when he talks - his epiglottis, he gurped and slobbered his profound shock at Specter’s audacity, Specter’s betrayal, and probably in his mint julep-y mind, Specter’s cancer remission. It was a deeply disturbing performance, all the more so for those who know of McConnell’s, um, history. (Don’t even go there. It’s way weird.)

Standing behind McConnell was ol’ Wyatt Earp his own damn self, Texas (soon to be “Republic of . . .”?) Senator John Cornyn. His demeanor while Mitch slobbered and gurped was that of a Field Boss who’s just found out his prize breeding slave has run off. Also in the frame one could make out Arizona Senator John Kyl, another sour-looking member of the Death Party whose whole life appeared to be flashing before his darting eyes.

What a collection of ghouls.

Hey, boys, here’s a news flash for you. America hates your phony Party and your phony politics of destruction. Seriously. After decades of so-called “Reaganomics” and the racist, divisive megalomania of Dick Nixon, and the country-club Republican disdain of normal Americans so aptly tossed off by GHW Bush, and the idiot-son warmongering of, well, his idiot son, and all the various and sundry politicians and advisors and counselors and corrupt attorneys your smelly Party has pushed off onto this country, and your fascist policies and your lies and wars and fraud and corruption, and on and on and on, you know what? Most of America really doesn’t like any of you. The only region left that is still willing to be spiritually and economically beaten and pillaged by you thugs is . . . the Olde Confederacy, that section of the country being eaten alive by misogyny, racism, violence, and that Old Time Religion. Honestly, boys, you’re all zombies at this point; the walking dead. Led on by wired-up torture fetishists like Dick Cheney. Your own mamas have kicked you out. If you can’t hear the clock ticking down on your diminishing existence, can you at least stop pretending you give a shit about what happens to your once great country? Once great, that is, until you miscreants polluted it with your lies, your greed, and your absolute disrespect . . .

Maybe it is time for you boys to take another stab at secession. And, maybe this time the rest of the country would consider it a blessing and slam the goddamn door in your faces as you left.

- MDM

mikemalloy.com (http://www.mikemalloy.com/)

lesfunk
04-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Thats the first thing I've read from Malloy. What a twat.

ELVIS
04-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh, my! That means several things, of course, to the Death Party - formerly known as the Limbot Party and before that, the Republican Party. First, the Death Party’s persistent attempts to continue its destruction of America will now abate a bit. (Not completely. Not as long as the Pigman, Hannity, Scarborough, Beck and the rest of the Media Brown Shirts continue to shred and mock whatever is left of the truly patriotic cohesion that at one time identified this society.) Second, The Death Party now comes even closer to being what its leaders want it to be: A regional ( i.e. the States of the Old Confederacy) collection of Yahoos and gun freaks, Christers, racists, women-haters and half-wits. Third, the impending collapse of the Death Party as the obstructionist, violently anti-Constitution, war-loving, torture obsessed, freak show now moves one giant step closer to oblivion.

No, but you can get a GO TO HELL, Mr Malloy, for spewing nothing but hatred every time I read or hear what you have to say...

:elvis:

FORD
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
And what did he say that wasn't true? :confused12:

WARF
04-29-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.mikemalloy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/party-pooper1.jpg

Mike's Daily Blog

Goodbye! And thanks for all the fish!

April 28th, 2009

Around lunch time today in Washington the faint smell of urine could be detected wafting from Republican Party headquarters. The entire Party leadership had just peed its pants on hearing the news that Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter had switched caucuses and joined the Democrats.

Thank you.

The most fun part of Specter’s switcheroo was the reaction from the Death Party’s leadership - especially the pretend head of the Republican Party, the chairman his own Limbaugh shufflin’ self, “Uncle” Michael Steele. It was almost embarrassing watching Uncle Mike jivin’ and dissin’ ol’ Arlen, talkin’ ’bout how when the next primary season comes around the Pennsylvania Death Party is gonna “take former Republican Senator Specter out.” Uh-hunh. Take him “out.” “Out.” Like what, Uncle Mike? Kill him? ‘Zat what you mean by “take him out?” Or are you just trying to be all manly and tough and talk like NRA dude Wayne (”The Peter”) LaPierre? C’mon, Uncle Mike. Shuckin’ and jivin’ for a living is one thing, but, really, do you have to pretend you enjoy it??? The white folks are laughing, you know.

After the warm-up act of “Uncle” Michael Steele, the headliners all lined up in what appeared to be the hallway outside the nearest Senate urinal (See first sentence above.) There they were, standing in expressionless silence like a bunch of 19th century Southern plantation owners waiting for the auction to begin. Ol’ Mitch McConnell spoke first, lamenting (or hoping for?) the apparent political death of Specter The Traitor. Half swallowing - as he always does when he talks - his epiglottis, he gurped and slobbered his profound shock at Specter’s audacity, Specter’s betrayal, and probably in his mint julep-y mind, Specter’s cancer remission. It was a deeply disturbing performance, all the more so for those who know of McConnell’s, um, history. (Don’t even go there. It’s way weird.)

Standing behind McConnell was ol’ Wyatt Earp his own damn self, Texas (soon to be “Republic of . . .”?) Senator John Cornyn. His demeanor while Mitch slobbered and gurped was that of a Field Boss who’s just found out his prize breeding slave has run off. Also in the frame one could make out Arizona Senator John Kyl, another sour-looking member of the Death Party whose whole life appeared to be flashing before his darting eyes.

What a collection of ghouls.

Hey, boys, here’s a news flash for you. America hates your phony Party and your phony politics of destruction. Seriously. After decades of so-called “Reaganomics” and the racist, divisive megalomania of Dick Nixon, and the country-club Republican disdain of normal Americans so aptly tossed off by GHW Bush, and the idiot-son warmongering of, well, his idiot son, and all the various and sundry politicians and advisors and counselors and corrupt attorneys your smelly Party has pushed off onto this country, and your fascist policies and your lies and wars and fraud and corruption, and on and on and on, you know what? Most of America really doesn’t like any of you. The only region left that is still willing to be spiritually and economically beaten and pillaged by you thugs is . . . the Olde Confederacy, that section of the country being eaten alive by misogyny, racism, violence, and that Old Time Religion. Honestly, boys, you’re all zombies at this point; the walking dead. Led on by wired-up torture fetishists like Dick Cheney. Your own mamas have kicked you out. If you can’t hear the clock ticking down on your diminishing existence, can you at least stop pretending you give a shit about what happens to your once great country? Once great, that is, until you miscreants polluted it with your lies, your greed, and your absolute disrespect . . .

Maybe it is time for you boys to take another stab at secession. And, maybe this time the rest of the country would consider it a blessing and slam the goddamn door in your faces as you left.

- MDM

mikemalloy.com (http://www.mikemalloy.com/)

Stick it to em' Mike!

Fuck Dick Cheney, Bush, and all the other war profiteers... and their greedy anti-American party!

matt19
04-29-2009, 12:49 AM
No, but you can get a GO TO HELL, Mr Malloy, for spewing nothing but hatred every time I read or hear what you have to say...

Yet Glenn Beck and Hannity can spew all the hatred they want to.....

Fucking hypocrite.:barf:

ELVIS
04-29-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't listen to Beck or Hannity...

Fucking sissy!

Big Train
04-29-2009, 02:51 AM
But since right now they're the only viable alternative to REPUKE CONTROL, I'm willing to give them support.

Perhaps you should throw your vote at something you actually believe in wholeheartedly. Third parties need that vote and if your less than 100% with it, your doing yourself a disservice.

Sorry, I like to shill for 3rd, 4th and 5th parties. When I hear statements like that it drives me nuts because if enough people were willing to see a third party with principles they believe in as "viable" they would be.

hideyoursheep
04-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Perhaps you should throw your vote at something you actually believe in wholeheartedly. Third parties need that vote and if your less than 100% with it, your doing yourself a disservice.

You can direct that comment straight to Arlen himself, who admitted that it was a "painful decision" for him to make. It shouldn't have been. In fact, what he should have said was , "Damned glad to do it!"

Fuck that guy.
Stand for something, or begone. Who needs an old badger like that in Washington? He's part of the problem, not the solution.

Same goes for Joe "Mr. Independent Republican" LIEberman. Goes from Dem. VP candidate to Hannity's best friend. :rolleyes:

matt19
04-29-2009, 06:19 AM
I don't listen to Beck or Hannity...

Fucking sissy!

My mistake I meant hypocrites. Its disgusting how much they throw around negativity and scare tactics. I saw Glenn Beck arguing how green lightbulbs are toxic and therefore people shouldn't buy them just the other day... give me a fucking break. What a weak fucking point to argue over, saves you hundreds of dollars in energy a year and is much better for the planet... but....but if you break one... you COULD POSSIBLY harm yourself.... jesus.

So Specter wants to switch parties, because the party he was with wasn't the one he was originally. Because he felt it changed.... wow I did the same 2 years ago.:tongue0011:

ODShowtime
04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
I agree with this statement 100%

But right now, I dont give a shit about Arlen's voters.

THEY CAN STFU AND TAKE A BACK SEAT FOR A WHILE NOW.

Hey I voted for Specter and I think this is great! HAHAHA My man throws another monkey wrench in the republican works. This guy just won't stop!

He was invaluable a few years ago as head of the Senate Judiciary Committee that tried to keep gw&friends in check. Man he was pissed when the repubs blew that for him last year.

Nickdfresh
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Sorry, I like to shill for 3rd, 4th and 5th parties. When I hear statements like that it drives me nuts because if enough people were willing to see a third party with principles they believe in as "viable" they would be.

I'd like to see a four, five, or even six party gov't., unfortunately, we're set up as a two party one...

FORD
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
While I favor the idea of multiple parties in principle, just take a look at the recent Israeli election for the hazards of what can happen. NuttyYahoo of the Likud party (Israeli repukes) actually got less votes than his opponent in the Kadima party (Israeli BlueBalled DLC "centrists"). But he formed a coalition with the even more extreme parties (Israeli equivalent of the "US Constitution party") and now you have the most extremist regime in history running Israel at the worst possible time.

Imagine, if you will, a government made up of Sarah Palin running the foreign policy and Ron Paul running the domestic stuff :yikes:

Guitar Shark
04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
You can direct that comment straight to Arlen himself, who admitted that it was a "painful decision" for him to make. It shouldn't have been. In fact, what he should have said was , "Damned glad to do it!"

Fuck that guy.
Stand for something, or begone. Who needs an old badger like that in Washington? He's part of the problem, not the solution.

Same goes for Joe "Mr. Independent Republican" LIEberman. Goes from Dem. VP candidate to Hannity's best friend. :rolleyes:

Eh, I'm comfortable with allowing politicians to change their minds on their political affiliation. This whole "flip flopper" business is a bunch of crap. How many times have we heard people say things like "You may not like George Bush, but he is consistent and you always know where he stands." Look where that logic got us.

lesfunk
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't see what the big news is. He's been a Moderate Democrat for ages anyway. He just had an R in front of his title

sadaist
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
What bothers me about this is he didn't do it out of principle or belief. This is very simply a move to save his ass in the next election, and he has made that abundantly clear. He even said he didn't want the PA Republican party judging him now on his 29 year record in the senate. That's what voters do you numbskull! When you are re-elected, it's "supposed" to be based on your track record. This is just a last ditch effort of desperation of a worried old man trying to cling to power one final time. Sickening.

lesfunk
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
what do you expect? He's a politician.... and a senator to boot (the worst kind of politician)

FORD
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
http://cnx.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/image.jpg

kwame k
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
What bothers me about this is he didn't do it out of principle or belief. This is very simply a move to save his ass in the next election, and he has made that abundantly clear. He even said he didn't want the PA Republican party judging him now on his 29 year record in the senate. That's what voters do you numbskull! When you are re-elected, it's "supposed" to be based on your track record. This is just a last ditch effort of desperation of a worried old man trying to cling to power one final time. Sickening.

I agree with most of what you're saying but.........If the voters are dumb enough to vote for him and can't see through this ruse than the people have spoken.

I do think the reason he is doing this is because of who the Repukes are running against him and since the Repukes are basically self-destructing, Specter may pull this off.

I have no pity whatsoever for the Repukes and every seat they lose is a testament that the criminal behavior they have displayed and subjected us to for the majority of Bush's terms as President, is coming back to haunt them. They have done this to themselves and We The People are the ones who have suffered for this.

ODShowtime
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM

No, what he was saying was that registered republicans in PA are a dwindling and ever more crazy conservative lot and Specter doesn't want to have to go through only them to get back into the general election. There are plenty of democrats and other non-rightwing types in PA that dig him and realize he is an important servant to our Republic. He wants all of them to make the choice. It's as simple as that.

The guy stands up to bullshit. Whether it's gw&friends' fun with the federal courts to belicheck cheating the Steelers and Eagles, Specter don't play that shit.

Also, he's been a lefter-leaning centrist for quite some time, so as the republican party becomes even more of an evil parity of itself, he realizes it no longer reflect his principals.

The only thing sickening about this is your ignorance of the situation.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
I'd like to see a four, five, or even six party gov't., unfortunately, we're set up as a two party one...

As long as each individual voter thinks the way you do, the logjam is created that continues to give power to the Dems and especially Repukes you all hate so much. I always thought a vote was an idea about what you personally thought was the best idea and the best person for that idea. Your willing to give that power away it seems, election after election.

LoungeMachine
04-30-2009, 03:59 AM
As long as each individual voter thinks the way you do, the logjam is created that continues to give power to the Dems and especially Repukes you all hate so much. I always thought a vote was an idea about what you personally thought was the best idea and the best person for that idea. Your willing to give that power away it seems, election after election.

Nuh huh.

And you voted for whom, exactly in 2000, 2004, and 2008?

If you lie, God kills a kitten.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 04:01 AM
OD,

The Spygate scandal you give him points FOR? Wasting taxpayers time and money on "probing" the NFL, which was really a play for Comcast (which demanded the NFL Network in their basic packages), which he has very close ties to.

He would be villified if the R was still next to his name.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Nuh huh.

And you voted for whom, exactly in 2000, 2004, and 2008?

If you lie, God kills a kitten.

Since you must know (although this is no secret, posted here a few times) Nader, Bush, Nader.

Who'd you vote for ?

GAR
04-30-2009, 04:05 AM
And what did he say that wasn't true? :confused12:

He doesn't mention the spineless Specter was courted for 5 years to become a traitor to his constituents.

He doesn't mention Joe Biden's official itinerary documents 16 visits to discuss throwing his party down the stairs for the Spendulus Bill.

That's the weird irk here: I smell money because somebody got bought off here for a hi dollar

LoungeMachine
04-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Since you must know (although this is no secret, posted here a few times) Nader, Bush, Nader.

Who'd you vote for ?

Ouch.

So much for walking the line you spout, huh? ;)

Gore, Kerry, Obama.

I won 2 out of 3.

[3 for 3 if we COUNT Ohio in '04]

Big Train
04-30-2009, 04:11 AM
From what I've read, it's more grumblings about Specter taking prime committee positions away from "loyal" Dems who were in line for them. Indirect cash via the influence those positions will bring him.

hideyoursheep
04-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Eh, I'm comfortable with allowing politicians to change their minds on their political affiliation. This whole "flip flopper" business is a bunch of crap. How many times have we heard people say things like "You may not like George Bush, but he is consistent and you always know where he stands." Look where that logic got us.

A little late for this lifer to be changing affiliations and remain credible-at least to me.

From Dem to GOP for 40 years and back again?

It's one thing to have a change of heart on specific policy, but this reeks of political posturing for his own benefit, not for the benefit of those he was elected to represent.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Ouch.

So much for walking the line you spout, huh? ;)

Gore, Kerry, Obama.

I won 2 out of 3.

[3 for 3 if we COUNT Ohio in '04]

WTF are you talking about? I do walk the line I spout. I voted for who I thought was best, as I always have. Nader was talking about drastic reduction in government in 2000. I knew then like I know now that he had no chance of winning. My vote, while I fully believed in his issues, also helped to grow that party. If the Green party had gotten to 5%, they would have gotten Federal matching funds. I actually want a viable third party. You seem to want to win a game of presidential Bingo, to be "right" somehow.

Yea you won, except for sorry ass Kerry. Poor fuck is riding US Air instead of Air Force One. Forgotten, but not gone...

In the battle of fear profiteers (Bush v. Gore), Gore ended up coming back strong. Well, profitably...did you stock up on your carbon credits yet?

ODShowtime
04-30-2009, 06:28 AM
OD,

The Spygate scandal you give him points FOR? Wasting taxpayers time and money on "probing" the NFL, which was really a play for Comcast (which demanded the NFL Network in their basic packages), which he has very close ties to.

no shit sherlock. I know you're from Mass, I presume you're one of the people who got all hot about Arlen exposing a CHEATING PIECE OF SHIT and tried to do whatever you could to minimize the fact that the team cheated. The fact of the matter is that the NFL wanted it swept under the rug and would have gotten away with it. It never would have taken off without Specter. Now belicheck and brady have the stain on their reps that they so richly deserve.

That was the least important point of my post so I presume you have no problems with the rest of it.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2009, 09:18 AM

The "logjam" is the two-party system encoded in the political DNA by the founding fathers. The trade-off is a limited choice and parties that are essentially disunified parties unto themselves beset with various "wings." The positive: as Ford stated, you have relatively stable gov'ts that don't fall when the wind picks up too-much like say -Italy...

Incidentally, it is also the "third parties" such as the Green Party and the Independence Party that get blamed in elections for merely electing the candidate they are the farthest from...

Big Train
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
no shit sherlock. I know you're from Mass, I presume you're one of the people who got all hot about Arlen exposing a CHEATING PIECE OF SHIT and tried to do whatever you could to minimize the fact that the team cheated. The fact of the matter is that the NFL wanted it swept under the rug and would have gotten away with it. It never would have taken off without Specter. Now belicheck and brady have the stain on their reps that they so richly deserve.

That was the least important point of my post so I presume you have no problems with the rest of it.

I did think it was a waste of time for a US Senator to get involved. I'm not saying my beloved Patriots were innocent. I don't think they were.

No, I don't really have an opinion either way of Specter otherwise. If he works for you, fantastic.

Guitar Shark
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Who'd you vote for ?

You, sir, are the first person I've heard of who voted for Bush in 2004 but not in 2000. I think that is probably a fairly small group of people.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
The "logjam" is the two-party system encoded in the political DNA by the founding fathers. The trade-off is a limited choice and parties that are essentially disunified parties unto themselves beset with various "wings." The positive: as Ford stated, you have relatively stable gov'ts that don't fall when the wind picks up too-much like say -Italy...

Incidentally, it is also the "third parties" such as the Green Party and the Independence Party that get blamed in elections for merely electing the candidate they are the farthest from...

Could you expand upon this please? I'm not seeing how the founding fathers, whose documents all desire freedom of thought and choice, created the two party setup and the inherent system for the United States. As far as checks and balances go, more parties create a better check and balance than the "either/or" system we have now.

The fact that they get blamed always bothers me. It's like saying "well enough tools of the parties became sentient enough to think for themselves for once and thusly lost the election for us".

LoungeMachine
04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
He'll say you dont unseat a "war president"

But I personally dont buy his Nader vote in 2000.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
You, sir, are the first person I've heard of who voted for Bush in 2004 but not in 2000. I think that is probably a fairly small group of people.

I think so too.

Big Train
04-30-2009, 11:32 AM
He'll say you dont unseat a "war president"

But I personally dont buy his Nader vote in 2000.

Everyone has to prove something to you, but you have to prove nothing to anyone...Lounge doesn't believe me, how can I clear my good name with him??

LoungeMachine
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Everyone has to prove something to you, but you have to prove nothing to anyone...Lounge doesn't believe me, how can I clear my good name with him??

Who said you had to?

What, am I required to take your post at face value now?

It's an opinion.

Take it or leave it.

But I'm allowed it.