PDA

View Full Version : Settings from Van Halen's Guitar Tech

ThatArtGuy
04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Another poster from a guitar playing forum shared this post with us. Could be true or not, but he has no reason to lie. Here's his post:

Here are the settings given to me by Wolfgang's Guitar Tech.

To keep a long story short I struck up a conversation with him backstage at the 2008 St. Louis show. There were several people around us at the time and I simply stated "It sure would be nice to have Eddie's exact settings on his new MXR Flanger". He laughed and said you and everyone else would like to know.

My Son and I took our seats inside the stage and the music is playing while the roadies are setting up, I see the Tech walking to the lip of the stage and he points to me. I walk over and he leans down from the stage and hands me the small piece of paper and smiles.

Here are the settings:

1. MANUAL-- IS SET A LITTLE PAST THE TEN O'CLOCK MARK.

2. WIDTH---- Is set at 10 o'clock.,

3. Speed---- Is set a little past 10 o'clock.

4. Regen ----- Is set at exactly 3 o'clock.

He drew out the dials and placed the marks on these settings. There is another button on the pedal that he wrote "OFF X".

Enjoy.

Nitro Express
04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Nothing fucks with your mind more than a flanger. I swear; sometimes, those things just drive you insane trying to dial in what you want. Add in some small dip switches on the circuit board and prepare to enter the asylum and a padded cell.

Matt White
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Why not just hit the "EVH setting" button?!?

:confused:

GAR
04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Ed doesn't do that, or else he'd have to understand what it's function is, stop and think about it.. and there's not enough braincell capacity for that.

Thinking induces siezures.. let's try to avoid it at all costs.

jhale667
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Why not just hit the "EVH setting" button?!?

:confused:

Yeah, and then there's that...;)

BrownSound1
05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I've got an original MXR Flanger and I've never had any trouble getting the Unchained sweep. I never dicked with the Dunlop versions of the pedal though.

jhale667
05-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I've got an original MXR Flanger and I've never had any trouble getting the Unchained sweep. I never dicked with the Dunlop versions of the pedal though.

Supposedly if you got one of the earlier reissues they weren't up to snuff because they'd changed out a germanium capacitor for a cheaper one, and the difference was noticeable - so much so that they went back to the germanium one on subsequent productions...the new (gray) ones sound fine, don't really see the EVH version of it being quite as useful as the EVH Phase90 is with the script/block mode switch...

GAR
05-15-2009, 03:02 AM
You mean a Francium capacitor, or a Norwegian one.

Germaniums are what my Granny is now growing outta her big dead fuckin' ASSHOLE at Forest Lawn Memorial.

Coyote
05-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Pretty much any analog flanger will get that sound.

Well, to my ears, anyway...

jhale667
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
You mean a Francium capacitor, or a Norwegian one.

Germaniums are what my Granny is now growing outta her big dead fuckin' ASSHOLE at Forest Lawn Memorial.

What, does the library have Google and Wiki blocked this week? :fufu:

ELVIS
05-20-2009, 03:00 AM
I have the EVH phaser and it sounds like shit no matter how you set it...

I had a phase 90 years ago that sdounded good no matter how you set it, and I traded it for a phase 100 that died and I can't seem to fix it...

One cool idea for both of these EVH pedals is this:

They both come cheaply painted in flat colors, the flanger in black and white, and the phaser in RB&W...

I took the case off of my phaser and polished it with mild rubbing compound and finally rubbed it out with nu-finish (which I swear by) and it looks like it has a polished clear coat on it now...

This process makes these pedals look much more expensive than the junk they are...

Nah, my phaser is not junk, it just doesn't sound anything like a Van Halen tone...

And as far as the flanger, who would want that EVH copy flanger sound ??

jhale667
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I have the EVH phaser and it sounds like shit no matter how you set it...

Completely disagree with you there. I find the 'Script' mode useful.

ELVIS
05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
It does sound better just plugged straight into an amp rather than going into my crazy set-up...

The effect is more distinct going straight into an amp...

:elvis:

Nitro Express
05-21-2009, 12:35 AM
It does sound better just plugged straight into an amp rather than going into my crazy set-up...

The effect is more distinct going straight into an amp...

:elvis:

That's the only way to run one. Right in front of the amp input. I actually use mine like a Univibe when playing Hendrix tunes. It does get the rotating speaker vibe when you dial the knob up.

GAR
05-28-2009, 02:39 AM
What, does the library have Google and Wiki blocked this week? :fufu:

Silicon-germanium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon-germanium)

The Technology of the Fuzz Face (http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm)

jhale667
05-28-2009, 07:55 PM
That's the only way to run one. Right in front of the amp input.

Not so. Modulation effects typically perform better in an effects loop. Not saying it doesn't sound cool in front, but it's not technically the optimum way to run it.
Also depends on what you're wanting to hear - do you want your distorted signal phased, or vice-versa? ;)

indeedido
05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
That's the only way to run one. Right in front of the amp input. I actually use mine like a Univibe when playing Hendrix tunes. It does get the rotating speaker vibe when you dial the knob up.

Ditto on the univibe type effect with the control up around 2 or 3 o'clock. I pull some groovy Trower/Hendrix tones out of it