PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Mr Walker
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Mike Florio at PFT is already stirring up all kinds of shit since the Jets gave Favre an unconditional release after drafting Sanchez.
Here's two of his recent musings...

Cook Says Favre Has No Plans To Unretire
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 2:43 p.m.

Agent Bus Cook claims that quarterback Brett Favre won’t be coming out of retirement.

“He’s retired, he doesn’t have any desire to come back, and that’s the way it is with Brett,” Cook told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. “He’s mowing his grass. He’s working on his farm. He enjoys that stuff.”

Cook also says that Favre’s request that the Jets release him has only one meaning — “Brett wants to retire as a Packer and that’s just part of it.”

Bull.

Unless Favre plans to sign a one-day ceremonial contract in the next few months, there was no reason for him to obtain his walking papers on the heels of the 2009 draft. Besides, wouldn’t the joint statement from the Jets and Favre have included a reference to Favre’s actual intentions, if he merely aims to retire as a Packer?

Such a move would have insulated the Jets against criticism for letting Favre potentially set up shop elsewhere while he otherwise would have been still under contract, and it would have made Cook and Favre come off as something other than manipulative and conniving.

Plane Flies From Minneapolis To Hattiesburg, And Back Again
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

It probably means nothing.

But, let’s face it, Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport is hardly a major hub of transportation.

Only five flights arrived there today, and only six departed.

One of the arrivals came from Minneapolis, and one of the departures headed back there.

The plane from Minneapolis arrived at 9:11 a.m. local time, and left at 4:14 p.m. local time.

It probably has nothing to do with one of the more famous residents of Hattiesburg. After all, he’s retired from playing football, and he has no intention of coming back.

Favre said so himself. “It’s all rumor. [There’s] no reason for it.”

Oh, wait. That was last year, when Favre shot down in early July talk that he wanted to come back.

Since he was telling the truth then, he’s surely telling the truth now.

Pennypacker
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Favre, please stay retired. As a Vikings fan, and seeing where you brought the Jets last year, Im more happier with the Jackson/Rosenfels tandem we have. It Frerotte can go 9-3 there's hope for one of those two to do the same, and lead us to another division title :)

You're done Favre, you had a great career, but this isn't 1997, and your not in your prime.

Go Vikes!

indeedido
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Farve had a good season last year. 9-3 start. It was the horrible defense that collapsed not Farve. One guy can't do it all. Their defense sucked ass

Pennypacker
04-30-2009, 11:50 PM
After that 8-3 start, the Jets went 1-4, and Favre was dismal in that period as well as the D

Highest QB Rating 61.4

TDS 2
INT 9

And this was against teams like San Fran, Seattle and Denver.

Mr Walker
05-01-2009, 08:50 AM
This just in... Deanna Favre was seen purchasing a purple set of bra and panties.

WARF
05-02-2009, 01:03 AM
That was fucking funny! :lol:

Mr Walker
05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey WARF... did you bail on the Jets when you moved to Patriots Country?

Mr Walker
05-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Though plenty of folks continue to accept at face value the same “I ain’t comin’ back” message that a certain quarterback was communicating as late as early July of 2008, the signs point to the Second Annual Brett Favre Retirement becoming the Second Annual Brett Favre Unretirement.

Why? Favre reportedly still wants revenge on the Green Bay Packers.

“Favre can’t stand Green Bay,” an unnamed league source told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “He wants to play Green Bay and say, ‘I told you so.’ His bitterness is creating this. I think he’s calling Minnesota. I think Minnesota is talking about this as we speak. You haven’t heard the end of Favre. No way. He is bionic. As long as somebody will let him in, he will play.”

Pennypacker
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
My birthday was just ruined reading this!!!

Favre to meet with Vikings about return

Brett Favre's storied career might not be over yet.

ESPN is reporting the 39-year-old quarterback will meet with Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress later this week.

The Favre saga has taken many turns over the last two seasons. After leading the Green Bay Packers to the NFC Championship game, and losing to the eventual Super Bowl Champion New York Giants, Favre retired from football in March, 2008. He later expressed a desire to return only to find the Packers unwilling to make him their starting QB.

After months of rumour and speculation, Favre was traded to the New York Jets.

Last season Favre showed flashes of his brilliance, but the Jets ended up with a 9-7 record and missed the playoffs.

He asked for and was given his release by the Jets last week.

Mr Walker
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Report: Favre, Childress To Meet
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 6:46 p.m. EDT

Well, well, well.

Welcome to the Summer of Favre, Part 2.

Only a day after the former Packers and Jets quarterback supposedly told ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that said former Packers and Jets quarterback won’t be playing again, ESPN’s Ed Werder reports that said former Packers and Jets quarterback will be meeting with the man who’ll be the former Vikings coach absent a postseason win or two. Or three.

Per Werder, Favre and Brad Childress will meet at an “undisclosed location” later this week to discuss the possibility of Favre joining the Vikings for the 2009 season.

Werder says there’s a “mutual understanding” that Favre will soon thereafter decide whether to sign with the Vikings.

Also, Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, reportedly is looking into whether any unemployment quarterbacks coaches are available to work with Favre as he works his way back into playing shape.

In Minnesota, Favre immediately would be installed as the starter, and he’s get the keys to an offense very similar to the one he ran for years in Green Bay.

WARF
05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Part 2... more like part 4!

High Life Man
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
He's a cunt. His wife is even worse.

No wonder he wants to play - he can't stand being around her.

chefcraig
05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Worse than the ill-feelings here, let's look at the facts. Towards December of last year, the guy got tired. Don't ask yourself, ask the Jets about that situation, where he wound up throwing more interceptions than touchdowns.

On top of that, the guy has issues with an arm that he has refused to have surgery on. And his motivation appears to be sticking it to Green Bay. Does that sound like a team player to you?

Pennypacker
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
"Nothing has changed. At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football" - BRETT FAVRE April 29

May 6...

For most of his career, he was celebrated as a tough guy playing a man’s game with the joy of a little boy. Now Brett Favre(notes) stands on the verge of plunging the sports world into yet another offseason’s worth of waffling on his retirement.

Does Favre really want to play for the Minnesota Vikings—or is he simply willing to jump at any chance to play against the Green Bay Packers and prove a point to the man who traded him, general manager Ted Thompson?

That doesn’t seem to be a particularly important question in the Twin Cities right now, where the potential signing of Favre is seen as the final piece in an otherwise Super Bowl-ready roster. The chance to tweak a division rival makes it even juicier.

Even Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty—perhaps forgetting that he’d need to pick up a vote or two in Wisconsin if he runs for president in 2012—called the potential Favre signing “a wonderful little salt to rub in the eyes of some of our Green Bay Packer friends” on Wednesday.

“Can you imagine Brett Favre going into Lambeau Field in Viking purple and maybe even wearing No. 4?,” Pawlenty asked. “There would be audible gasps.”

Pennypacker
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
On top of that, the guy has issues with an arm that he has refused to have surgery on.

Favre had surgery this offseason to repair his torn right bicep that he played through most of the 2nd half of the season last year. We can't put all the blame on the torn bicep however :biggrin:

chefcraig
05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Favre had surgery this summer to repair his torn right bicep that he played through most of the 2nd half of the season last year. We can't put all the blame on the torn bicep however :biggrin:

Ooops. I honestly missed that. Fair enough, and thanks for pointing it out, it's appreciated.

houseofpain
05-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Guys, love the opinions here. IMPO, Brett Favre has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants. Retire, unretire, tell us your retired, come out of retirement. I don't care. I love the way the guy plays. He's a warrior, unlike NBA players he take six weeks off for a dislocated pinkie. The MVP Trophy should be named the Brett Favre Award. Brett Favre should win Defensive Rookie of the year, MVP, comeback player of the year, 12th man award, whatever award they want to give, give it to Brett. And if he comes to Minnesota...just imagine the play action fake to Peterson...if the receivers can run routes and catch the ball, it will be awesome!

Pennypacker
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Guys, love the opinions here. IMPO, Brett Favre has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants. Retire, unretire, tell us your retired, come out of retirement. I don't care. I love the way the guy plays. He's a warrior, unlike NBA players he take six weeks off for a dislocated pinkie. The MVP Trophy should be named the Brett Favre Award. Brett Favre should win Defensive Rookie of the year, MVP, comeback player of the year, 12th man award, whatever award they want to give, give it to Brett. And if he comes to Minnesota...just imagine the play action fake to Peterson...if the receivers can run routes and catch the ball, it will be awesome!

Your right. Hearing "Favre goes deep to Berrian....TOUCHDOWN!!!" does sound alright to me :biggrin:. Those 2 games vs the PACK would be intense.

Bill Lumbergh
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I HOPE he comes back, then tears an ACL in the 1st preseason game....damn, I'm sick of this shit. He's DONE....He might be effective here and there, but like last year, he'll run out of steam. Peterson will tear off a 40 yard run, then Brett will throw a pick the next play....OVER.

Pennypacker
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Favre rebuffs Vikings, will stay retired

The Minnesota Vikings will not sign free-agent quarterback Brett Favre(notes), a source close to the team told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

The source said Favre told Vikings coach Brad Childress that he wanted to remain retired in a phone call that took place sometime in the last day. Favre is expected to publicly explain his decision soon.

Favre retired after the 2008 season, which he spent with the New York Jets. There was speculation that the Vikings were interested in bringing in a veteran to compete with Sage Rosenfels(notes), who was acquired this offseason from the Houston Texans. Rosenfels is atop the depth chart heading into training camp, with Tavaris Jackson and John David Booty(notes) also on the roster

redblkwht
05-10-2009, 11:36 PM
My question is this: Why did they send his x-ray of the shoulder for is he
didnt intend on a return? Im confused..anyone wanna fill that in?

thanks, rbw

Mr Walker
05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
My question is this: Why did they send his x-ray of the shoulder for is he
didnt intend on a return? Im confused..anyone wanna fill that in?

thanks, rbw

Report: If “Major Surgery” Isn’t Needed, Favre Will Play For Vikings
Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2009, 7:17 p.m. EDT

Wow.

What a difference one freakin’ day makes.

Last night at this time, we all had assumed that Rick Schwartz of Yahoo! Sports had fashioned for himself a Jay Glazer moment, popping out of a Punxsutawney pantry and putting to rest the lingering question of whether it would be six more weeks — and longer — of the winter of Brett Favre’s career.

Now, Jeremy Schaap of ESPN reports that, if Favre doesn’t need “major surgery” on that arm injury that some think was merely an excuse for Favre’s diminished play down the stretch last season, Favre will unretire and play for the Vikings.

We’re not quite sure how Schaap got this scoop, given the small army of NFL reporters and bloggers residing on the Bristol payroll. But we’ll give Schaap the benefit of the doubt over Schwartz, given that we have heard of Schaap.

Mr Walker
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Yahoo! Sports Editor: No X-rays Were Sent To Minnesota
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2009, 10:33 a.m. EDT

After posting our item from last night regarding the e-mail I received from Mark Pesavento of Yahoo! Sports regarding the twisting-in-the-wind report from Rick Schwartz of that same publication, I received a couple of additional e-mails from him.

The final e-mail expressed dismay over my assumption that any of the e-mails he sent to me were “on the record.”

And my final e-mail to Pesavento expressed dismay over his assumption that, when someone sends me an e-mail, it’s off the record even if the sender of the e-mail doesn’t utter the magic words.

It’s really not that hard, and most of my sources who prefer to remain nameless know how to invoke the protection that any journalist (real or pretend) worth his or her salt is willing to provide in exchange for information.

It comes in different forms (”off the record” . . . “don’t quote me on this” . . . “on background” . . . “if you tell anyone I told you this I’ll kick you in the nuts with a steel-toed sneaker”). But Pesavento, as the Assistant (to the) Managing Editor of Yahoo! Sports, presumably knows that there’s never a presumption that anything is “off the record.”

So, anyway, here’s what Pesavento had to say in his follow-up e-mail, before realizing that anything he was saying was fair game for publication.

He said that Yahoo! Sports knows that, contrary to multiple reports, no X-rays were sent by Brett Favre to the Vikings.

“I don’t want to come off as defensive, but since we’re talking about the reporting of this story, please hear me out: Despite what [ESPN’s Jeremy] Schaap reported (something other media outlets have latched onto), we know there were no X-rays sent to Minnesota. Our (highly-placed and very reliable) Vikings source told us so and Bus Cook has since confirmed that.

“So, my question to you, because I know you’re interested in media is: Is it really our duty to write the ‘ESPN is full of shit’ story just because everyone now assumes — despite evidence to the contrary — that the Vikings are holding X-rays up to the light to see what that weird crook in Favre’s bicep is? Because as of [Saturday], what we wrote is still accurate: Childress and Favre talked on the phone, and that was it. There are no X-rays. Both sides are worried about Favre’s health, and for many reasons, both sides have decided to move on. There is no deal and, according to our source, there will be no deal. And there’s absolutely nothing from Favre’s side to refute that.

“We’re not writing anything more because, as of now, there’s nothing more to say.”

Apparently, there is. And now it’s been said. And written.

chefcraig
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice. So essentially, he tricks the Jets into giving him a release, therefore screwing them out of the opportunity of trading hiim for a player or picks, all so he can attempt to shove it up Green Bay's ass in two games the coming season. Classy.

This also points out why the meeting between Favre and Childers was called off. No need to discuss anything if Farvre can't play.

Mr Walker
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice. So essentially, he tricks the Jets into giving him a release, therefore screwing them out of the opportunity of trading hiim for a player or picks, all so he can attempt to shove it up Green Bay's ass in two games the coming season. Classy.

This also points out why the meeting between Favre and Childers was called off. No need to discuss anything if Farvre can't play.

I can't find the item, but I read that the Jets & Favre had a 'gentleman's agreement' that if they released him the only team he would play for would be the Vikings. All the Jets cared about was eliminating his cap hit and making sure he didn't wind up throwing balls in the AFC.

chefcraig
05-11-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't find the item, but I read that the Jets & Favre had a 'gentleman's agreement' that if they released him the only team he would play for would be the Vikings. All the Jets cared about was eliminating his cap hit and making sure he didn't wind up throwing balls in the AFC.

Cool, and thanks for the info.

Pennypacker
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
In February, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said as to interest in Brett Favre: “No way.”

More recently, Wilf replaced his position with: “No comment.”

Now, team president Mark Wilf is basically echoing the “no comment” mantra, but with more words.

“I’m not aware of any meeting [between coach Brad Childress and Favre], but any football personnel matters . . . those types of issues are issues that we don’t discuss publicly, and I hope fans and the media can appreciate that,” Mark Wilf told reporters on Monday. “Because that’s the right way we feel we can get the best product on the field to get our ultimate goal, which is a Super Bowl championship.

“I’m appreciative of the fact that the fans are very interested and curious about the whole situation. We have a football department, we have a head coach, Brad Childress, Rick Spielman is our head of personnel, and we go through this process with any player. We look at a variety of factors and that is the process we are going through right now. And certainly a competitor and Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre is no different in terms of that evaluation.”

But Mark Wilf did suggest that there is at least some interest in Favre.

“Certainly a player of Brett Favre’s [status], a Hall of Fame quarterback with the competitiveness that he has, that is a player we would have interest, as we would have other players. . . . I defer to our coach and personnel people to really evaluate those issues.”

Big questions remain, obviously. Did Favre tell Childress that Favre won’t be unretiring and playing for the Vikings? Did Favre send X-rays and/or an MRI and/or a cookie bouquet to the team last week?

As to the first question, Mark Wilf would say only this: “What I can tell you is that type of decision is up to Brett Favre, and I’ll leave it to Brett Favre to give you that answer.”

So, basically, Mark Wilf said, “No comment.”

Mr Walker
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Source: Favre looking for options
By Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Quarterback Brett Favre consulted renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews regarding options for healing the partially torn biceps tendon in his throwing shoulder this week, according to a source.

The development further indicates Favre's willingness to consider coming out of retirement to sign with the Minnesota Vikings, particularly if there is a non-surgical solution to his damaged shoulder.

The source said Andrews and Favre experimented with one of several exercises that could accelerate the process of the tendon releasing on its own. During an interview with ESPN in February, Favre mentioned that he had a partially torn biceps tendon in his left shoulder during his Green Bay Packers career and that the pain subsided once it completely tore naturally.

If that fails to produce the desired results, it remains uncertain whether Favre would endure even arthroscopic surgery to prolong his career to a 19th season. A source close to Favre described that as an option but a projected 3-6 week rehabilitation is unappealing to the quarterback, who will apparently require no therapy if the tendon can be forced to tear through the exercise regimen. Favre, 39, has confided to friends he will not have major reconstructive shoulder surgery. Shortly after he retired from the New York Jets four months ago, Favre made it clear that he blamed the shoulder problem for his undoing late in the season.

At the time, Favre said the shoulder injury frustrated him and affected his confidence because it compromised his accuracy, and there was no pattern he could discern as to when it would interfere with his ability to deliver the football.

"My mind was telling me that I'm fine, but I would throw it, and it was not where I wanted it to go,'' he said in an interview at his home on Feb. 13. "That's telling me something, and it's frustrating. ... There started to be a little doubt that maybe I should attempt that [pass], and that's probably what's most disappointing. That's where I felt I let the team down. The downside of playing so many games and being physically healthy is that when it finally happened to me, it happened to the most important part of me -- the throwing shoulder.''

Favre said it didn't happen on every throw, but that he could never determine when he might lose velocity or accuracy and was unable to predict when the pain might return or how long it would linger.

"It wouldn't be every throw,'' he said. "Sometimes it would be a little 3-yard pass, and the pain would go into my neck and down my arm and, for two or three plays, there would be shooting pain. I'd get it a lot in practice, and the coaches would have me take a few plays off. It started altering the way I threw, and I thought, 'You're on the way out when that starts happening.'"

NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN's Ed Werder and ESPN.com's Matt Mosley contributed to this report.

damngoodtimes
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM
he said today that he would decide by 7/30 when Vikings camp opens.

Brad Childress will now get to enjoy the same fate as Eric Mangini when this all doesn't work out.

ForeverDLR/VH
07-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Vikings are fucked without Favre, They have the Defense with the best RB duo in the NFL, they just don't have a QB and will do shit with Jackson at the helm.

letsrock
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
bret will be a Viking.
I dont think he will leave the game until he really cant walk.

ForeverDLR/VH
07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
bret will be a Viking.
I dont think he will leave the game until he really cant walk.

Or wins another Super Bowl, I know here comes the Vikings jokes :umm:

ForeverDLR/VH
07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Brett makes a Decision this friday.

High Life Man
07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
He won't.

Unless some team loses their QB once the season starts.

What a jag.