PDA

View Full Version : Jason Becker playing Hot for Teacher

ThrillsNSpills
05-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Never Heard Recordings (http://12.189.211.71/NeverHeardRecordings.htm)

from his demo to DLR.
along with plenty of amazing recordings.

degüello
05-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Cool, thanks for posting that.

GAR
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
http://12.189.211.71/NeverHeardHotForTeacher.mp3

I never liked Jason's soul-less, mechanical playing style and disliked his trashy Carvin sound even more than that.

He does take some creative liberties, that's a plus. However, there is no however. I don't like his playing and that's the bottome line.

I did buy the "Cacophony" tape when it came out. I loaned it out after a few listens and it never came back as it got passed around like a month-old National Enquirer with Rosie O'Donnell on the cover with a story about how fat and disgusting she is.

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Pretty cool stuff...

Drop in The Bucket demo is nice...better so than whats on the album...

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
He butchered the Hot For teacher solo...

That sweep crap gets old just like tapping does...

Seshmeister
05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree but I thought you were the big Yngwie fan????

degüello
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
It's remarkable that he learned the tunes and recorded that in a single night, if what he says is accurate. Pretty fluid and relaxed sounding. Effortless, really.

GAR
05-03-2009, 01:31 AM
It sounds like the dbx compression of the tascam porta cassette unit.

I had one of those.

I buy the story that he did it in one night: I once went to an audition and the guy spent 3 hours smoking pot, and a half hour talking to me while duping his cassette copy of the demo he wanted me to learn.

I wasn't given the chance to listen and discuss it.. just "here ya go, gotta run, let me know"

So I wasn't surprised when I got home and it sucked.. I flipped it over and rerecorded a parody of his tune with a better solo using my Alesis HR16 drum machine, and left it on his answering machine.

I did that in an hour, programmed the drum machine with the correct verse-bridge-chorus count and my own Weird Al version of the guy's vocals with mock lyrics.

HFT could have been done in a day, what's so difficult about it especially when you'd have heard it 100 times on MTV that summer of 84, it was all over the radio, and if you was a EVH fan, you'd probably played the record a couple hundred times stealing the licks off it.

I say Becker had the song down years before he was asked for an audition tape!

ELVIS
05-03-2009, 03:47 AM
I agree but I thought you were the big Yngwie fan????

Did that sound like Yngwie to you ??

ELVIS
05-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah Gar, I had the Cacophony stuff as well...

What did they do, two albums ??

:elvis:

GAR
05-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I only had the one, bought out of curiosity.