PDA

View Full Version : Jack White forms new supergroup instead of just rocking the fuck out

rustoffa
05-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Jack White on The Dead Weather, White Stripes

"There's so much music coming from me"

Joe Bosso, Tue 5 May 2009, 4:41 pm BST
Jack White on The Dead Weather, White Stripes
http://mos.musicradar.com/images/artist-news/the-dead-weather/thedeadweather-200-80.jpg

Most people are lucky to have one band that works out (let alone becomes world famous). With The White Stripes and The Raconteurs, Jack White has two. And his uncanny track record hints that he'll hit the trifecta with The Dead Weather.

"Believe me, I know how stupidly fortunate I am," says White in an excusive podcast interview with MusicRadar (below). "I consider myself blessed just to be able to make a living doing what I love.

"But I think that's the secret," the workaholic, multi-purpose musician says. "I chose to do what I love and go for it with every ounce of crazy passion I had. And for me, success doesn't dull that drive and passion; it increases it; it makes me want to give more and try more. I think if you can do that in any avenue in life, you're going to be successful."
Dead Weather this year, White Stripes and Raconteurs soon

"It's funny that I've become known as a guitarist. I absolutely adore playing the drums" Jack White

With The White Stripes and The Raconteurs on hiatus (but both soon to be back in action; more on that in the podcast), White is now turning his attention - not as easy as it sounds, in his case - to The Dead Weather, the new 'supergroup' he formed with Kills frontwoman Alison Mosshart on vocals, Queens Of The Stone Age's Dean Fertita on guitar and fellow Raconteur Jack Lawrence on bass.

As for White, while he contributed some guitar to The Dead Weather's debut album Horehound, due 9 June, he mainly returns to his first love: drums. "It's funny that I've become known as a guitarist," he says, "because I've always been a drummer. And I absolutely adore playing the drums in this band. It's such an expressive instrument - and, let's face it, it's fun to just hit things."

White's enthusiasm is infectious. In conversation, belying his image as an ultra-serious, aloof taskmaster, he's engaging and quick to laugh. "People think of me as this artsy weirdo," he admits. "Maybe if I didn't have music as an outlet, I would be - I'd be some horribly depressed, bitter guy somewhere. Music frees me socially, and it allows me to express anything I want."

He chuckles and says, "I only hope people like listening to what I do as much as I like doing it."

In this exclusive MusicRadar Podcast, White discusses The Dead Weather, his passion for drumming (and what a kit he has!), 'James Bond gear' and his new label venture, Third Man Records. He also talks about what lies ahead for The White Stripes and The Raconteurs.

Link below!

Jack White on The Dead Weather, White Stripes | musicradar.com (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jack-white-on-the-dead-weather-white-stripes-205880?cpn=RSS&source=MRNEWS)

alexpgrimes
05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
supergroup??? thats a joke much like his music.

indeedido
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I hardly would call that a supergroup.

Diamondjimi
05-06-2009, 04:32 PM
"Believe me, I know how stupidly fortunate I am," says White

Understatement of the Millenium!!!:shiznit:

Golden AWe
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
The Raconteurs second album was GRATE!!! Also much better than the first one. Gotta hear this one as well.

FORD
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Does he think he's Dave Grohl or something? Or a bizzaro Dave Grohl, since he's a guitarist who wants to be a drummer.

BTW, if he's a drummer, then why doesn't he play on the White Stripes albums, because God knows the chick ain't no drummer.

Mr Walker
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I hardly would call that a supergroup.

Chickenfoot seemed to have lowered the bar on the term supergroup.