PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on New Marshall Haze mini stack

indeedido
05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Outside of the cheezy effects built into it, I think it is pretty cool. Suprised they didn't do this a long time ago instead repackaging the original Lead 12 mini stack. Nice upgrade to 12" speakers rather than 10" too.

Buy Marshall Haze MHZ15 Full Stack | Amp Stacks | Musician's Friend (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ15-Full-Stack?sku=581922)

jhale667
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Wouldn't mind having one or two of the cabinets...;)

Seshmeister
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Not cheap...

Coyote
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Gonna keep my eye out for this...

al3d
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Not cheap...

it's a tube amp..not a shitty Solidstate one. so that's more $$$ for sure.

But price is pretty reasonnable i would say

indeedido
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
The price point is right on track with the competitors. $100 more than the Vox night train, $200 lower than the Egnater Rebel mini stack.

I played the Egnater rebel mini stack, it is pretty bad ass with the wattage control and the tube mixture control.

There's a demo of the Marshall haze on their site Marshall Theatre (http://www.marshallamps.com/marshall_theatre_popup.asp?clipCat=Haze)

Also some youtubes of Doug Aldrich with it too.

Sarge
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
That is pretty cool!
I think it would be better to go with a 1/2 stack if they offer it.

ELVIS
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Hmmm...

indeedido
06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Musician's Friend is having a Marshall Madness sale. Ends today. If you call up and say Marshall Madness they'll take 15% off under $1000 and 20% off $1000 and up.

So, I call up and do just that. The Marshall Haze mini stack is $999, they guy says close enough and gives me 20% off. So, who am I to refuse such a cool amp for $799. Also comes with a Marshall stool. FREE shipping and NO tax. Looks like I'll be selling off my mini wall of doom to make room for this. 15 watts of 6V6 glory.

Prediction though, Gar will immediately come to this thread and tell me I'm a fool for buying such a cool amp because of petty jealousy. Come on man, don't hate the playa, hate the game!;)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ15-Full-Stack?sku=581922#new

letsrock
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Enjoy your new amp.

Panamark
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I think I just got a woodie !! :)

That looks great ! I could see it sittin beside my "work" desk
right now...

Count me in !! (I will find one, oh yes, I will !!)

indeedido
07-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Amp arrived on Friday. I'll just say a few things about it for those interested.

1. It's no mini stack, it is a mid stack. I've heard it referred to as both, but it is definitely a mid stack.

2. 15 watts, it seems as loud as my JSX head. Not a bedroom amp, could easily gig with it.

3. Effects are actually pretty nice. The vibe sounds like my EVH Phase 90. Lower settings great phase, higher settings similar to a univibe.

Mine does however suffer from a design flaw. The distorted channel is bleeding into the normal channel. With the normal volume set between 1 and 5 it is still clean but you can hear the distorted signal in the background behind the note. Like a ghost note. I accidentally discovered where it was coming from, I turned down the gain knob on the distorted channel and it went away. I first thought it was a blown speaker, but I isolated both of the cabs and it was still there. Without a presence control it is pretty muddy. I'd be happier with EL34s over the 6V6. Not producing that classic Marshall crunch to me. Nice amp, but will go back due to the bleeding of the channel. I won't get another one. I'd like to try the combo version it has EL34s and a presence knob as well as a boost. The cabs are nice and tight. I'm going to try my JSX head on them before it goes back.

How much bigger than the ZW mini stack? Have a look.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Picture019.jpg

Panamark
07-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Looks cool Indeedido,

Hey, dunno if this will help, but I "discovered" after years
of owning a JCM800 a similar noise problem you describe.
The cross noise would dissapear if you turned down
both the gain and the reverb...

Took it to the Marshall Guru in Sydney and he showed
me how the reverb tank had actually been mounted
reveresed at the factory ! We had to lengthen one
of the connecting leads (has RCA connectors on it)
then reversed it. Clean as a whistle now..
Apparently he had come across this before.
Never really bothered me as I never really used
the clean channel, so I had it for years before
I picked up on it..

Dunno if it will help you, they probably have different
reverb tanks in those smaller heads ? (possibly no
tank at all, digitial ?)

ELVIS
07-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I have a ZW slant cab with an Epi Pro Jr. on top that sounds pretty good...

The Epi head fits perfectly on the small 10" cab...

:elvis:

Coyote
07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Dunno if it will help you, they probably have different
reverb tanks in those smaller heads ? (possibly no
tank at all, digitial ?)

Reverb tanks are pretty rare in today's transistorized world, Pana... :D

indeedido
07-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the reverb on this head is digital. Not a bad sounding reverb, can go pretty lush

letsrock
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Its bigger than the other pics make it look. To bad about the flaw.

indeedido
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, its pretty big. And LOUD

Panamark
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM

Yeah I suspected as much, but when I heard this mid sized stack was
tubes, I thought, well just maybe they were going full retro..
Actually Im not that opposed to a digital reverb these days...
But I still love my tubes/valves for amplification over transistors anyday !!

GAR
07-07-2009, 03:56 AM

I spoke with an engineer at Accutronics, the company that introduced the reverb spring tank a few years ago and he said every year has been better than the one preceeding, for 60 straight years.

Nothing can nor will EVER replace the analogue spring reverb, it is the most natural sounding, true sonic reiteration-reproducer device for the size in all physics.

When digital can reproduce lower than 100hz sounds you let me know - that's the day digital can stand toe to toe with the spring!

ELVIS
07-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Digital can abosuletly, we just can't afford it...

ELVIS
07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
60's style plate reverb sounds better than Spring...

Panamark
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
When digital can reproduce lower than 100hz sounds you let me know - that's the day digital can stand toe to toe with the spring!

When my Marshall damaged ears can hear down that low again,
I might give a shit :biggrin:

Panamark
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
For the record I love my old Spring Reverb tank !!
But theres some great software reverb sims out there now...

letsrock
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Nothing wrong with solid state or digital.
Heck listen to Pantera Dime used Solid state Randalls.

jackassrock
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Pantera was a great metal band... that had shitty tones. The songs, the performances by the members, and the feel carried them. Not the sounds.