PDA

View Full Version : Do We Not Have An Official Star Trek Thread Yet?

bluemustard
04-18-2009, 02:08 AM
The first scene with Kirk in the car looks cool.

Star Trek trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809752801/video/12413527)

:gulp:

I8OU812
04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Guys, one thing I love more than Van Halen is Star Trek. I can't wait.

thome
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Looks cool a sci fi from Abrams will be excellent .

I haven't seen one in many years that was worth watching except the Star Wars latest and Iron Man.

Perhaps us scifi nuts can find a home again....

Kristy
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Looks cool a sci fi from Abrams will be excellent.

Probably no different from other Abrams offerings: lots of over-dramatic scenes, nonsensical dialogue and cheesy CGI. At least this is not a Bruckheimer film in which case the horribly scripted dialogue would be replaced with scene after bombastic scene as a tool hoping it'll form some sort of a plot line for the audience to adhere to.

I still go see it knowing this summer has more to offer then another lame pirate show.

al3d
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Can't wait to see it. i'm a big Fan as well. Worked on lots of Trek stuff, but this one should be DA BOMB...i mean George's lucas team is redoing the FX now..so can't go wrong..:)

thome
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Probably no different from other Abrams offerings: lots of over-dramatic scenes, nonsensical dialogue and cheesy CGI.

I still go see it knowing this summer has more to offer then another lame pirate show.

to the first part of the statement.

Yes!!! that is what I am talking about a top notch scifi. Perhaps also some hot alien babes bent on destruction and can only be tamed by love..

to the second part

My dear..... perhaps the finest statement about what some call movies...I have ever seen

Kristy
04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Time will tell with what Abrams does with Star Trek although I didn't care much for Cloverfield. What interests me is that this doesn't appear to be another cliche in the whole Trek series with new faces and revamping of the Roddenbery cookie-cutter crap that has been rehashed to death.

Most likely Terminator will be shit. Although you have to appreciate an actor with the name 'Moon Bloodgood'
http://static.screenweek.it/2009/2/1/Terminator-Salvation-Moon-Bloodgood-Blair-Williams-2_mid.jpg

Nickdfresh
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
<object width="480" height="430"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf?image=http&#37;3A%2F%2Fwww.theonio n.com%2Fcontent%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2FSTAR_TREK_artic le.jpg&amp;videoid=94844&title=Trekkies%20Bash%20New%20Star%20Trek%20Film%2 0As%20%27Fun%2C%20Watchable%27" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed src="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="430"flashvars="image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Fcontent%2Ffi les%2Fimages%2FSTAR_TREK_article.jpg&videoid=94844&title=Trekkies%20Bash%20New%20Star%20Trek%20Film%2 0As%20%27Fun%2C%20Watchable%27"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film">Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'</a>

ZahZoo
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Only thing missing is Yeoman Janice Rand...

http://www.allscifi.com/aridor/pictures/randspock.jpg

Nickdfresh
05-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Star Trek is opening to pretty good reviews overall:

Star Trek (2009) - Critics' Reviews - MSN Movies (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-critic-reviews/star-trek/?gt1=28144)

Star Trek (2009) - Critics' Reviews - MSN Movies (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-critic-reviews/star-trek/?gt1=28144#MetaReview)

Blaze
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Star Wars Forever!!!! :headbangez:

:umm:, except when Jean-Luc is at command :sleazy-smiley:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2377/2540804919_7b35401728.jpg

bueno bob
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
OK...so I went to go see it last night...WOW...J.J. did the unthinkable and made a Star Trek that successfully A) Keeps with the continuity of the original Star Trek; B) Finds a perfect way to scrap the entire continuity, and in doing so, create a completely new franchise out of it which C) should appeal to just about everybody under the sun, Star Trek fan or not (and I've never really been all that big on Star Trek myself).

Hands down, it's compelling, visually stunning, and cast EXCEPTIONALLY well. Just a wonderful achievement on all fronts and the singularly best Star Trek movie since The Wrath of Khan, easily; in some regards, I'd venture to say it's even better.

I'm already counting down to the sequel...

The only real problem I had with it was Scotty's munchkin thing companion (which I didn't really find necessary). At the start, I had a hard time seeing Zachary Quinto as anybody other than Sylar, but that vanished about halfway through the film and I suddenly started seeing him as Spock, not Sylar trying to be Spock.

And that "relationship" (and I'm not saying who it was between, since there may yet be folks in this thread who haven't seen it) between two of the main characters...well...it'll take a sequel for me to really get into it or see it actually happening, but I have little doubt that it can be fleshed out a bit more.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid 9. One of the very, very few movies I wouldn't mind seeing in a theater twice.

Nickdfresh
05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Um...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/non-vh-dlr-related-stuff/54831-two-new-star-trek-trailers.html#post1349060

bluemustard
05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
OK...so I went to go see it last night...WOW...J.J. did the unthinkable and made a Star Trek that successfully A) Keeps with the continuity of the original Star Trek; B) Finds a perfect way to scrap the entire continuity, and in doing so, create a completely new franchise out of it which C) should appeal to just about everybody under the sun, Star Trek fan or not (and I've never really been all that big on Star Trek myself).

Hands down, it's compelling, visually stunning, and cast EXCEPTIONALLY well. Just a wonderful achievement on all fronts and the singularly best Star Trek movie since The Wrath of Khan, easily; in some regards, I'd venture to say it's even better.

I'm already counting down to the sequel...

The only real problem I had with it was Scotty's munchkin thing companion (which I didn't really find necessary). At the start, I had a hard time seeing Zachary Quinto as anybody other than Sylar, but that vanished about halfway through the film and I suddenly started seeing him as Spock, not Sylar trying to be Spock.

And that "relationship" (and I'm not saying who it was between, since there may yet be folks in this thread who haven't seen it) between two of the main characters...well...it'll take a sequel for me to really get into it or see it actually happening, but I have little doubt that it can be fleshed out a bit more.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid 9. One of the very, very few movies I wouldn't mind seeing in a theater twice.

i saw it yesterday.
The "relationship" was weird.
Kirk was awsome and mcoy..the guy who played scotty pissed me off cause i know him as a british actor/comedian and I think he was terrible as scotty.
fx were awsome!

Bill Lumbergh
05-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Fuck, I thought I was going to love it, but it was just....meh. I despise the new Spock, and walked away wanting to watch Wrath of Khan....

bueno bob
05-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Um...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/non-vh-dlr-related-stuff/54831-two-new-star-trek-trailers.html#post1349060

Oh shit, lol...guess I should look a little deeper, hmm?

bueno bob
05-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Fuck, I thought I was going to love it, but it was just....meh. I despise the new Spock, and walked away wanting to watch Wrath of Khan....

Really? Damn shame, dude, sorry to hear it.

SeaVHfan
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/David/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>Warning......some spoilers may be included.......

I saw the movie too. It was good. It might not be my favorite Trek movie but I think the new actors did very well. Still not sure what to think about the "Relationship" that was mentioned before. Also, I just have not wrapped my hands around the incident involving the Romulan & Vulcan home worlds. That portion of the storyline was a little hard to imagine. So much Trek history has happened with those two races, so it will be strange now in this new timeline. Then there is the whole future Spock / current Spock thing in the same timeline. Questions remain on if future Spock will fix the timeline or divulge future events yet to come.

bueno bob
05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I doubt he would (future Spock, that is); honestly, I think Leonard Nimoy was simply on hand to give this reboot a stamp of original lineup approval and appeasement towards the core Trek fans. I'd be very surprised if he shows up in future Trek movies.

Frankly, I enjoyed the original Star Trek for what it was, and there were some new generation episodes that were not too bad. But when you bottom line it, you look at the rest of it...Deep Space Nine? Voyager? Enterprise? Star Trek's needed a BIG, BIG kick in the ass for MANY years now, and I honestly think this delivered big time.

Since this thread is technically a dupe, I suppose we could either close it or move it or whatever...I'd do it myself, but I no longer have the keys... :(

Coyote
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Since this thread is technically a dupe, I suppose we could either close it or move it or whatever...I'd do it myself, but I no longer have the keys... :(

Easier to merge... (which I did)

You're welcome. :D

SeaVHfan
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I doubt he would (future Spock, that is); honestly, I think Leonard Nimoy was simply on hand to give this reboot a stamp of original lineup approval and appeasement towards the core Trek fans. I'd be very surprised if he shows up in future Trek movies.

Frankly, I enjoyed the original Star Trek for what it was, and there were some new generation episodes that were not too bad. But when you bottom line it, you look at the rest of it...Deep Space Nine? Voyager? Enterprise? Star Trek's needed a BIG, BIG kick in the ass for MANY years now, and I honestly think this delivered big time.

Can we just merge the two threads together?

Bill Lumbergh
05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Really? Damn shame, dude, sorry to hear it.

You know, maybe it was because I walked in with different expectations. It was an enjoyable movie to watch, I had a good time overall....the whole "alternate reality" thing just didnt do it for me. And again, I cant stand the new Spock. I'm thinking I need to watch it again, though....

thome
05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
How was the CGI. I get over CGI'd these days I dislike all the green screen stuff it is almost too.....something....?

Although it has lent itself to some awesome special effects.

I will not come down too hard, that.s some real cool stuff.

I do kinda miss the wires hanging from the actual ship models . lol

I can't do movie theaters anymore I almost go ballistic from the college douches and thier gang mentality when I am with my gal.

So I always wait for the DVD release.

Sad really.......... the big screen is the shzizz.

Last premier I went to there were five KU football players rocking the back of my seat and throwing popcorn at my hair from behind my gal was trying to calm me down the whole first hr I got up threw my coke in ones face then was asked to leave by the management..

I guess she can't help it if she looks like a super hero erotic devine whore.

I have become paranoid of people behind me who have more rites than I do..

I guess I will get to see the movie DVD in about 1 year.

Seshmeister
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
People throw popcorn at you because they think your gal looks like a whore?

Why don't you sit in the back row?

Cheers!

thome
05-11-2009, 07:05 PM
People throw popcorn at you because they think your gal looks like a whore?

Why don't you sit in the back row?

Cheers!

Either that or I look like a pussy..lol

I have no issue with crowds anywhere else. The movie theater seems to bring out the asshole in some people and I always end up sitting right next to them, so I have sworn off it.

It has been an issue w/ my girl friend and me, I let her go with her friends I don't go .

Get there early wait and sit in back row durring a maten'e (sp) odd afternoon time, I said.. I may durring one argument, once, but I'm still not going.

I do miss the big screen. I haven't seen a big screen in over ten years.

I miss the sound that you can only get there, my surround is cool, but c'mon..you can't get the experience of the cool CGI...and no I didn't even go see Ironman,,,, so bummed.

I think I would like this Startrek because...... Mcoy has been dead for many years..Scotty..the same.So I wouldn't ask for "that crew".

The same names and "attitude script".. set in a different time maybe, but dressing up some actor in McCoys rig and trying to make a new startrek set with the original actors would sukk balls.

Like VH without Roth.

If you look at it as a stand alone show you can judge whether it is great or just someone trying to out Roth, Roth..
That would never work.

The original Trek has many great relationships that can be back storied with new good actors....as long as they don't try what I mentioned above overwriting the same show.

P.S. No one liked the original Spock in the first reviews back in 67 either... they hated him and (Desilu ?) wanted him replaced.. can't rememmber exact pruducer or whatever that wanted him out....

Roddenberry went to bat for him and won...

bueno bob
05-12-2009, 01:33 AM
You know, maybe it was because I walked in with different expectations. It was an enjoyable movie to watch, I had a good time overall....the whole "alternate reality" thing just didnt do it for me. And again, I cant stand the new Spock. I'm thinking I need to watch it again, though....

Well, here's the question - do you watch Heroes? I had a hard time separating Spock from Sylar for a little while, but he eventually won me over...had I not been used to him in Heroes, though, I probably would have either thought he was tolerable or hated him. I think Heroes may have jaded me somewhat.

bueno bob
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Big news - William Shatner WAS in the new movie! Very briefly, if you blinked you would have missed it, but he made his feelings quite clear...