PDA

View Full Version : Treasury asks for control of derivatives market

kwame k
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer Anne Flaherty, Associated Press Writer – 26 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is asking Congress to extend its oversight of the financial system to include the shadowy market of derivatives, the kind of complex financial instruments that helped bring down the giant insurer AIG.

In a two-page letter sent Wednesday to congressional leaders, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said he wants to create a central electronic-based system that would track the buying and selling of derivatives. He also wants to ensure that financial firms selling the instruments have enough capital on hand in case they default and subject them to stringent standards of conduct and new reporting requirements.

The legislative proposal is the administration's first major step in overhauling the nation's financial regulatory system.

"All (over-the-counter) derivatives dealers and all other firms whose activities in those markets create large exposures to counterparties should be subject to a robust regime of prudential supervision and regulation," Geithner wrote in his letter.

"Key elements of that robust regulatory regime must include conservative capital requirements, business conduct standards, reporting requirements and conservative requirements relating to initial margins on counterparty credit exposures," he adds.

New rules would deter financial firms from taking undue risk, prevent fraud and ensure they are marketed appropriately, according to the letter.

Current law largely excludes regulation of the instruments, which are referred to as "over-the-counter" derivatives because they are traded privately rather than through commodity exchanges now regulated by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

It was unclear how the rules would affect hedge funds, which are large, mostly unregulated entities that use complex trading tactics to earn big returns for high-dollar investors. Many hedge funds use derivatives contracts to offset risk on other transactions.

The proposal is strikingly similar to legislation proposed by a small group of major Wall Street banks. Critics of that proposal say the regime would give the same banks that contributed to the financial meltdown exclusive control over a larger part of the derivatives market.

The plan was received warmly by House Democrats who share oversight of the issue.

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., chairman of the Financial Services Committee, and Rep. Colin Peterson, D-Minn., chairman of the Agriculture Committee, said in a joint statement that they agree there should be "strong, comprehensive and consistent regulation" of the derivatives market and promised to work toward that end.

The value of over-the-counter derivatives hinges on an underlying figure or commodity — ranging from currency rate "swaps" to oil futures and inflation bets. The derivative reduces the risk of loss from the underlying asset. The global business world holds a staggering $600 trillion of these contracts.

One of the most infamous examples of the derivatives were credit-default swaps sold by American International Group Inc. AIG sold the swaps to investors as a kind of insurance to protect against defaults on mortgage-backed securities. But the company had to accept a hefty federal bailout after it became unable to support the contracts.

Under Treasury's new plan, companies like AIG would have to prove they have enough reserve capital to support the sale of derivatives.

Geithner said in congressional testimony in March that his plan would force the system to be more transparent.

"Let me be clear: The days when a major insurance company could bet the house on credit default swaps with no one watching and no credible backing to protect the company or taxpayers from losses must end," he said.

Under the plan, the CFTC would establish an "audit trail" for the derivatives and have "clear unimpeded authority to police fraud, market manipulation and other market abuses" involving the derivatives. The Securities and Exchange Commission would be given comparable authority, including tools to prevent insider trading.

The new system should enable the regulators to "detect and deter all such market abuses," Geithner stated in his letter.

Investors are betting that exchanges like CME Group Inc., the parent company of the Chicago Board of Trade and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, would benefit under the new regulation.

Shares of CME soared more than 6 percent Wednesday even as most other stocks fell.

___

Associated Press business writers Daniel Wagner and Tim Paradis contributed to this repor
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_treasury_regulation)

kwame k
05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
About fucking time!

These fucking schemes are part what got us in this mess.
Oil futures and reckless speculation are another major concern and it might stand a chance of being regulated too.

I'm all for small government but when there have been such rampant abuses on Wall St and in the banking industry it's time the government should step in.

The old cliché, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", doesn't apply to this because it's really broke and needs fixing. They really need a complete overhaul in all these industries, period.

Nitro Express
05-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah. Like we should trust Geitner. That's like asking a car theif to watch your car. It's all an insiders game. They just restructured things so they can gamble with the taxpayers money and if they lose, we pay. If they win, they keep the money.

They made derivatives illegal in 1936 for good reason. They work exponentially. The gains are great but nobody can cover the losses. They can wipe out whole banking instutuitions.

Big Train
05-13-2009, 11:31 PM
All they really need to do is simplify it to make it transparent. I'm not sure another round of regulators is going to work any better. Make the SEC work first, I'd say. If they aren't questioning Madoff, a guy who made zero trades, I don't trust them to have the ability to monitor complex derivative models.

If there were to do anything, they should have peer reviews of the computer models. If nobody can understand it, it's not acceptable as an investment tool. I also feel core asesst classes (i.e. homes) should be off limits to packaging. Leave that to pork and grain futures, not the underpinnings of our wealth.

ELVIS
05-14-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm all for small government but when there have been such rampant abuses on Wall St and in the banking industry it's time the government should step in.

I can't believe I just read that...

The government and the Feds are the cause of the stock market, the housing market and the banking and insurance failures...

The old cliché, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", doesn't apply to this because it's really broke and needs fixing. They really need a complete overhaul in all these industries, period.

So, you actually trust the government to fix or to overhaul the stock market ??

Great googly-mooglies !!!

:elvis:

Nitro Express
05-14-2009, 02:58 AM
The problem is the regulators are also on the side of the bankers. There is a revolving door between the govt. and Goldman Sachs. It's rigged people.

Nitro Express
05-14-2009, 03:02 AM
The fix is let the losers fail. If the government is just going to bail out losers then there is no incentive to manage shit. If you lose when you fail and you have to answer to your customers and stockholders and lose your money too, then things will run different. One reason these CEOS act like gluttons is they get bailed out and/or get golden parachutes. We have been rewarding bad behavior and performance.

Big Train
05-15-2009, 03:07 AM
The problem is the regulators are also on the side of the bankers. There is a revolving door between the govt. and Goldman Sachs. It's rigged people.

That's why I'm saying let the models be peer reviewed. A couple of variables can be left out, but it needs to be that way. The regulators can't keep up, but the competition can. Madoff's competitors called him out years and years before this finally blew up. The guy who called him out to the regulators had his message fall on deaf or paid off ears.

Blaze
05-15-2009, 04:07 AM
I say we do like China. Death penalty for corruption cases like the peanut manufacture case that killed a child. A Child. Mind you. A child! And they KNEW that peanut butter is a child's food. And all those freak wackjobs did was file bankruptcy!!!!
And 20 years hard time for a scam over a million. And 3 strikes your out on anything less.
And for the ducks sake get some real policing going on....SEC with ops and agents AND get serious about smaller corruption!!!
It is not a matter of IF corruption happens. It is where is corruption?

GAR
05-15-2009, 04:35 AM
The fix is let the losers fail.
We have been rewarding bad behavior and performance.

Congress voted to cause the problem, and to reward it's participants.

Democrats started it, the Republicans were supposed to act as the selfproclaimed Good Cop in the relationship and reign in the bullshit once they got Bush2 in.

But what did they do absolutely nothing.

Vote them ALL out. EVery one of em.