PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Monrose Suing Gary Moore To Get Back ‘59 Les Paul

Sarge
05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
WTF! Ronnie Monrose Suing Gary Moore To Get Back ‘59 Les Paul

Posted by admin (http://www.woodytone.com/author/admin/) on Wednesday, May 20th 2009
Topics: Gary Moore (http://www.woodytone.com/category/gary-moore/), Les Paul (http://www.woodytone.com/category/gibson/les-paul/), Ronnie Montrose (http://www.woodytone.com/category/ronnie-montrose/)

http://www.woodytone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/moore_gary_59s_1.jpg Is one of these the guitar in question?

What if you owned a 1959 ‘burst Gibson Les Paul, one of the most valuable and sweet-sounding guitars ever, and found out that decades ago it had been stolen from a famous player – and now that famous player wanted it back? What would you do, presuming you had bought it in what you thought was a legit way?
It’s not a rhetorical question because Ronnie Montrose this week filed suit against Gary Moore for the return of just such a Les Paul – no s**t!

According to the court filing, which you can see in full as a PDF here (http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/05/18/Guitar.pdf), Ronnie’s ‘59 ‘burst (purchased in 1972 from J. Geils) was stolen off the stage during an Edgar Winter Group concert later in 1972 in Dudley, Mass. “The moment he noticed the guitar missing, Mr. Montrose stopped the concert in mid-show, turned on the house lights and searched for the guitar to no avail,” the filing states.
Hell yes he stopped the show!
Since then, 37 years ago, Ronnie has been looking for his guitar. He’s given “numerous interviews” about it, and at one point even hired a private investigator to follow up on a lead, according to the filing.
But the big lead he was looking for came from the Gibson.com website (forum maybe?) where the serial number 9-2227 was mentioned as one of Gary’s ‘59 ‘bursts. Bingo. That was the Les Paul Ronnie was looking for.
In case you think Ronnie just sued without trying the easier way – if there can be an easier way in a case like this – the filing states that after some attempts to reach Gary (starting around November 2007), “in March 2009 Mr. Montrose wrote to Mr. Moore and told this story. There has been no reply to that letter. When left with no other alternative, Mr. Montrose filed this action seeking immediate relief from this court.”
What is Ronnie seeking? The return of the Les Paul, of course. It would’ve been nice to leave it there, but the filing also states, “As the result of Mr. Moore’s actions, Mr. Montrose has been damaged in an amount to be proven at trial.” Sounds like some cash might be sought.
He also wants Gary to stop “using” the guitar. Hmm.
And there you have it – for now. Not real sure how the U.S.-England law thing works: Can you “extradite” a guitar? And I assume Ronnie will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he actually owned that guitar. I’m assuming no sales receipt was involved, so it might be tough. Who knows.
Notable
> Here’s the story of how the guitar disappeared, from an older Vintage Guitar magazine article (http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/artists/details.asp?AID=2110). Note that at the time he called the guitar a ‘58:
VG: I recall seeing the band on the old In Concert series, and there was a song where you and Hartman switched instruments in the middle of a song. I think it was called “Let’s Get It On.”
Ronnie: That was the song – you’ve got a good memory! I’d go play bass while Hartman would play with his teeth; that kind of schtick. (laughs) But there’s a sad story about that part of the performance. We were playing in Dudley, Massachusetts one night; I was using a ‘58 Les Paul Sunburst that I’d gotten from J. Geils. When the time to “switch” came, I put it on a stand like I’d always do; I went over and played bass while Dan played a white Strat. When I came back over to get my Les Paul, it was gone; there was just a strap there. That was in the days of no security, and I never did get that guitar back.
> Pics of the ‘59 Les Pauls are from a Japanese website: gary-moore.net (http://www.gary-moore.net/). Not sure whether one of those guitars is the one in question or not.

Sarge
05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
WoodyTone! - WTF! Ronnie Monrose Suing Gary Moore To Get Back ‘59 Les Paul (http://www.woodytone.com/2009/05/20/wtf-ronnie-monrose-suing-gary-moore-to-get-back-59-les-paul/)

Montrose is a real dickhead, but I think Gary Moore needs to give back the guitar...

Cato
05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
eh?
wasn't Gary's burst Les Paul(#9-2227) what he purchased from Peter Green in 1970? :confused:

I thought it was a famous story...

ELVIS
05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.woodytone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/moore_gary_59s_1.jpg

It's the one on the right, i'm pretty sure...

I've seen this '59 over the years...

ELVIS
05-22-2009, 06:47 PM
eh?
wasn't Gary's burst Les Paul(#9-2227) what he purchased from Peter Green in 1970? :confused:

Possibly so, and the story rings a bell...

So, it's possible that the guitar was stolen from the gig mentioned above, and one way or another, found its way to Peter Green and sold to Gary Moore...

But without a bill of sale, Gary has no leg to stand on other than offer $479,000.79 for the old worn out piece of used Gibson crap and he still wont get it...

He should contact Billy Gibbons to find a nice replacement. At least Billy won't rip him off...

:elvis:

GAR
05-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Sticky this bad boy..

This is not going to go away. This is a very big deal you won't hear the last of once the guitar changes hands.

jhale667
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Supposedly Gary Moore's famous '59 was indeed given to him by Peter Green. I've read numerous interviews about it. So not sure where Montrose is coming from, unless Moore has scads of '59s lying about...

jhale667
05-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Possibly so, and the story rings a bell...

So, it's possible that the guitar was stolen from the gig mentioned above, and one way or another, found its way to Peter Green and sold to Gary Moore...

But without a bill of sale, Gary has no leg to stand on other than offer $479,000.79 for the old worn out piece of used Gibson crap and he still wont get it...

He should contact Billy Gibbons to find a nice replacement. At least Billy won't rip him off...

:elvis:

If that's the case, that's probably his best bet...

:guitar:

GAR
05-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Lawndale Pawn has FOUR reish 59s ranging from 2900 to 6000 that I'd be just as.. oh fuck that there's nothing like a true 58-59 Paul flametop.

In his autobio book, Andy Summers explains how as a teen he fought scrimped and saved to purchase one of two nearly identical flametops in a UK music shop.

He explains how it was stolen in detail, hinting that this piece wound up in Clapton's hands during his Creem period. The short of it was he's in his teens, takes a chick up on a hill by a tree case in hand, opens it and starts playing hoping to impress her.

Well shes not, he walks her back forgetting the guitar in the park.

To know what happened next.. read the book!

Nitro Express
05-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Just have an Asian counterfitter make a copy and give that one to Montrose. If most experts can't tell the difference Monty won't either. Hell. How do we know the guitar that everyone has their panties in a bind over isn't a fake?

GAR
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I've seen this '59 over the years...

If I said I'd seen this just 3 years ago and had it in my hands playing the thing and wondering why those deep gouges got in the top, first I'd get groans from the Peanut Gallery here, then they'd want to know who had it when I played it.

I was told those gouges happened because the owner played with those metal fingerpicks and that's all I know.

It's the real deal, pickups are original, and probably the finest guitar I've ever seen. I asked if I could make a plaster mold of the neck for a pattern and was laughed at because if I could do that getting the neck shape the rest of the guitar would be a cinch to dupe.

chefcraig
05-25-2009, 10:57 AM
In his autobio book, Andy Summers explains how as a teen he fought scrimped and saved to purchase one of two nearly identical flametops in a UK music shop.

He explains how it was stolen in detail, hinting that this piece wound up in Clapton's hands during his Creem period. The short of it was he's in his teens, takes a chick up on a hill by a tree case in hand, opens it and starts playing hoping to impress her.

Well shes not, he walks her back forgetting the guitar in the park.

To know what happened next.. read the book!

As usual, this fuckstick fails to get the details correct, even when quoting from a book. Summers did not leave the guitar under a tree, nor was it stolen. Summers sold the guitar to Clapton during a period of poverty.

Yes, by all means read the book. It's obvious our shit-headed friend did not.

GAR
05-26-2009, 01:13 AM
whups, Chef's conveniently on ignore I forgot about that!

Anyways, having had some nice myself guitars stolen, it would be interesting to see a precedent set for theft returns like this if the case was won in his favor.

If you have a serial number, and a purchase reciept, all you should really have to do is make out a police report of its' loss until it turns up.

In California and Nevada, you have 30 days to report a purchase of a stolen guitar but you need a serial number, even if it's a unique one-off custom guitar.

I had custom amps done before, and knew of this rule so what I did with a few of my amps and cabinets I conveniently popped serial tags off Kenmore or Speed Queen washers at the laundramat and drove selftapping screws into the chassis to hold em.

I never thought my custom guitars would ever ever be stolen because I never left them in rehearsal or recording rooms, I'd take them home.

I believe for this reason, even a parts guitar such as Jay has shown is fair game for a counterfeit decal - for the purpose of stamping some kind of serial number in back of the headstock

This way, at least the guitar gets reported on the 30-day hold-from-sale Police report that's filed with a brand name and a serial number.

Getting your guitar pinched is like losing a favorite pet, or having your favorite Benz junked.. but when you have to go thru with filing a police report at least you have some kind of record instead of "copy of a tele / strat / SG" etc.

And almost all Asian guitars I've had, have no serial number except for some kind of shitty foil pressure-sensitive serial sticker which almost always comes off with the 3rd waxing or cleaning or so.. and are totally peelable.

Reverberator
05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
That '59 was GIVEN to Gary by Peter Green.....so perhaps it was stolen after all !

GAR
05-28-2009, 02:25 AM
Does that make Peter the thief, or Gary?

Diamondjimi
06-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Just have an Asian counterfitter make a copy and give that one to Montrose. If most experts can't tell the difference Monty won't either. Hell. How do we know the guitar that everyone has their panties in a bind over isn't a fake?

It's a long shot but hey ,ya never know...

If I said I'd seen this just 3 years ago and had it in my hands playing the thing and wondering why those deep gouges got in the top, first I'd get groans from the Peanut Gallery here, then they'd want to know who had it when I played it.

I was told those gouges happened because the owner played with those metal fingerpicks and that's all I know.

It's the real deal, pickups are original, and probably the finest guitar I've ever seen. I asked if I could make a plaster mold of the neck for a pattern and was laughed at because if I could do that getting the neck shape the rest of the guitar would be a cinch to dupe.

SHUT - UP - STUPID!!!

You are the Ernest Borgnine of bullshit! You talk so much shit ,your breath probably smells like a pig pen.

As usual, this fuckstick fails to get the details correct, even when quoting from a book. Summers did not leave the guitar under a tree, nor was it stolen. Summers sold the guitar to Clapton during a period of poverty.

Yes, by all means read the book. It's obvious our shit-headed friend did not.

FUCKING OWNED ....AGAIN!
:biggrin: