PDA

View Full Version : Randy Hansen - A Review - May 23, 2009 At Jazzbones, Tacoma, WA

Hardrock69
05-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Last time I saw Randy was in 1980 on his tour to promote his solo album "Millionaire" on Capitol Records.

He blew my fucking mind.

Fast forward to last Saturday.

Whenever I go on a vacation where the purpose is VACATION, and not to see a concert, I will of course check all the events going on in that area.

I got lucky in that respect. I had booked my flight to and from Seattle back in mid-January, and only about a month ago I realized I had not checked Randy's touring schedule. He goes to Europe every spring and does some dates, and he pretty much sticks otherwise to playing gigs in the NW.

To my surprise I saw he was playing a club called Jazzbones in Tacoma, on the very last night I was going to be there!

Got there while he was sound checking. I could here "Machine Gun" half a block away. Talked to him for about half and hour. Asked if he would mind if I videotaped the show. He said I could videotape as much as I want! :D

SO I got the entire set (minus about 30 seconds for tape change), and it turned out sweet visually. The mic is SHIT on my camcorder, and will pop and crackle when exposed to loud noise, but he was not too loud, and it turned out pretty good!

I got him to sign one of his "Million-dollar" bills that he would toss out into the audience on his 1980 "Millionaire" tour. I have had it for 29 years now. He tripped out when I handed it to him. He said "I almost forgot about those".

Naturally he had a 3-piece band. He had several Strats. He told me one of his blonde ones he got in a pawnshop for $175. He had two Marshall plexi heads. One was a 1969, the other he said was a frankenstein conglomeration built out of parts from several different plexis. He ran each head into an 8 X 12 Marshall cabinet.

He also had another head....can't recall the brand, I wanna say Behringer, but that does not sound right. He had it set to the side of the stage on a 2 X 12 cabinet (can't recall the cabinet manufacturer either).

They played for about 70 minutes. I had to switch mini-DV tapes towards the end of "Hear My Train A'Comin' ". Fortunately it was during a slow part, but that song is usually anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes long, no matter who plays it.

What was truly freaky though was that his face so much physically resembles Jimi Hendrix that when the lights were dim, you would SWEAR you were watching Jimi.

And needless to say, he is amazing in his ability to channel Jimi in his guitar playing and his style.

The venue had a balcony around 3 sides, but they did not open it up, as there was only about 40-60 people there on the first floor. The doorman said usually he packs the place, but this being Memorial Day weekend, the club was not expecting a lot of business.

I am in the process of transferring the video to DVD, and have mastered the audio as well with some magic I possess.

Here are 3 screen caps. They look worse than the actual video does:

http://i41.tinypic.com/23hn11f.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/72dkrp.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2n68105.jpg

It is very much worth seeing him if you get the chance. Since Jimi is no longer around, Randy is the next best thing.

Hardrock69
05-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Another story about the show I saw in 1980. It was in Wichita, Kansas at the Cotillion Ballroom, which holds about 2,000 people.
There are tables and chairs all over the place, and the place was pretty packed that night. My best friend (who now lives in Everett, WA) was tripping on acid that night. So this kid (who could not have been more than 18 or so) was standing on a chair to see over the crowdonly about 5 feet from us. He had a small bong, and was right in the midst of firing it up, when suddenly a crusty old sheriff's officer walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked over at the cop and froze, with a look of sheer terror on his face.

The sheriff's officer yelled at him "YOU'LL HAVE TO GET DOWN OFF THAT CHAIR!!!!". The kid nodded quickly, and the sherriff's officer turned and walked away!

I looked at my friend and said above the roar of the PA "DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN?".
My friend (needless to say) couldn't believe it.

I told Randy that story and he cracked up. And my friend was there Saturday to see the show as well!

A splendid time was had by all. :D