PDA

View Full Version : Boucher Snaps Shutout Mark As Coyotes Win

lionsfan
01-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Boucher Snaps Shutout Mark As Coyotes Win

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Phoenix Coyotes (news) goalie Brian Boucher broke the record for the longest shutout streak in modern NHL history, extending his string to more than five hours in a 2-0 victory over the Minnesota Wild on Friday night.

Boucher's streak stands at 325:45, entering a Sunday home game against Atlanta. He stopped 21 shots and posted his modern-record fifth consecutive shutout, leaving the ice to a loud cheer from Minnesota's fans.

Early in the third period, Boucher passed Bill Durnan's mark of 309:21 — set in 1949 with Montreal. Durnan also held the record of four straight shutouts.

Boucher has 130 saves since the streak began.

"I did look up at the clock. Once I saw it was, I think, four minutes into the third, I knew I could breathe easy as far as the streak is concerned," Boucher said.

"That is probably the first time I really was counting down. I hate to do that, but I don't know if anyone could ignore it. I'm happy that was over and then we could focus on just winning the game," he said.

Boucher, whose mask is painted to look like a wall built with red bricks, improved to 6-2-4.

"It's just been unbelievable. It's just a great ride we're on right now," he said.

"I still haven't really stopped to think about it too much. I mean, I can't explain what's going on. As I said before, I went 85 games without a shutout and now I've got five in a row. I'm just going to enjoy every minute of it."

Ossi Vaananen and Fredrik Sjostrom scored goals for the Coyotes, who tied a franchise record by extending their unbeaten streak on the road to nine games (5-0-4). The last four of Boucher's shutouts have come on the road.

Dwayne Roloson made 30 saves for the Wild, who are 1-3-5 in their last nine games. They went 0-for-3 on the power play and are 1-for-30 with a man advantage over their last 10 games.

A third-stringer when the season began, Boucher was left unprotected in the waiver draft and didn't move up the Coyotes' depth chart until Zac Bierk injured his groin in November.

Richard Park had four of Minnesota's shots, including a one-timer midway through the second that ricocheted off Boucher's right leg. Replays showed Park turning around, wide-eyed in disbelief.

The Wild had several strong chances to score in the first two periods, but they seemed to be lacking energy in the third once Boucher's record was official.

Minnesota, with 93 goals and an average of 2.2 per game, is one of the league's lowest scoring teams — a 7-4 victory over Chicago on Wednesday notwithstanding.

Boucher was an unlikely candidate for this feat, considering he began the season with only seven career shutouts over his four previous NHL seasons — three of them with Philadelphia.

In fact, Boucher — a first-round draft pick of the Flyers in 1995 — went 85 games without a shutout until his streak began on Dec. 31.

The NHL's modern era began after 1944, when the center red line was added. Alex Connell owns the overall NHL records of six straight shutouts and a 461:29 scoreless streak for Ottawa in 1927-28, when forward passing was not permitted in the attacking zone.

All eyes were on Boucher, of course, but Roloson played just as well for most of the game. He lost his shutout with 14.5 seconds remaining in the second. Vaananen's slap shot from the top of the slot whizzed past Roloson and knocked the water bottle off the top of the net.

DLR7884
01-12-2004, 02:43 AM
Who the fuck cares?

Hockey used to be fun to watch in the regular season, not anymore though.

DLR7884
Only watches hockey after April 10th or so.

lionsfan
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Still a pretty impressive feat, though...

Full Bug
01-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Impressive indeed, I bet he could never do that in the high scoring 1980's though.....