PDA

View Full Version : Shaq trade rumors

letsrock
06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
So the Cavs want to give ben Wallace (ouch) and Sasha Petovic for Shaq.

letsrock
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Shaq Trade Rumors Buzz: O'Neal for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic? (http://www.postchronicle.com/news/sports/article_212237361.shtml)

damngoodtimes
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Phoenix will take the deal that saves them the most money.

Cavs will get at least one, if not two, big men this offseason.

ULTRAMAN VH
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Okay, this is a little off topic, but I just heard Shaq challenged the Korean MMA fighter, who recently beat the snot out of Canseco to a match. The Cavs better think twice or talk some sense into Shaq before inking the deal. Stick with B-ball Shaq, if you need a thrill, put your Steel costume back on a few days a week.

letsrock
06-18-2009, 02:09 PM
The Suns will get rid of him and that salary. I can see the Cavs and a couple other teams making the push for him.

sadaist
06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Cavs would win a championship next year with Shaq...but does LeBron really want to hear Shaq sing "LeBron, tell me how my ass tastes...LeBron can't do without me"?

But I think the Cavs have a great shot at winning without Shaq. They were almost there this year, they just lacked maybe 1 or 2 very small components and some seasoning. They got the seasoning just recently.

The Lakers did great, but I think they will fall apart in the offseason. They will lose a couple of guys they need and now that Kobe has the monkey off his back he will do what Kobe does best....showboat.

$0.02

letsrock
06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
i do agree with your post. But Cleveland sports need to stop thinking "oh if we get this guy then everything is perfect" Shaq would help. But Lebron hasnt had to share the spotlight so that could be a problem.

twonabomber
06-19-2009, 11:00 PM
now there's the Yao Ming rumor...with some Chinese investors buying in to the Cavs i guess it was inevitable.

damngoodtimes
06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I've heard at least a dozen or so names thrown about.

July's almost here. we'll just have to wait and see what they do.

the economy is actually gonna help the Cavs, cause there are only a handful of teams that really want to spend this summer. Gilbert doesn't seem to care if he's paying the luxury tax.

letsrock
06-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Cavs aquired him late last night.
What will his new nickname be?

TAKIN WHISKEY
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm not so sure that Shaq at 37 is the answer to what Cleveland needs to win it all.

letsrock
06-25-2009, 09:09 AM
What a blow to Lebron. Lebron thought he was "the answer" to clevelands sports woes.
Looks like that answer if they win it all next year is Shaq.

damngoodtimes
06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't go that far, LR. Shaq at this point in his career is a complementary piece. He's likely to play only 20-something minutes per game, with about 20 off the bench for Z. Keeps both old guys rested for the playoffs.

Offensively, he is a HUGE upgrade over Ben Wallace. He gives the Cavs their first interior scoring threat since Boozer.

Defensively, he's not much quicker than Z, but Dwight Howard won't be able to catch the ball in the paint and back down, then run over, Shaq the way he did to Z, Andy, and Ben.

For this, they give up Stoner Sasha Pavlovic, Ben Wallace's corpse, and some cash. Didn't lose D West, Gibson, or their younger bigs like Jackson and Hickson. MOST importantly, they give up none of their 2010 cap flexibility. Even if Shaq isn't the answer, they still have the ability to go after the really big fish like Chris Bosh, either next summer or at the deadline in February.

As much as they've been publicly cruicified since falling short against Orlando, this is a team that already won 66 games and was one or two possessions away from beating the team that presented their worst matchup to advance to the finals anyway. Remember that 3 of the first 4 games came down to the buzzer. Orlando won 2 of those 3. That's why they won the series.

The Cavs had two primary weaknesses revealed in that series that most NBA teams cannot exploit nearly as well as Orlando: 1) lack of a big and physical defender in the paint, and 2) lack of perimeter length. Nobody else in the league, not even the Lakers, can exploit those two weaknesses like the Magic, because Orlando has 1) Dwight Howard and 2) MULTIPLE players (Hedo and Lewis) over 6'-9" who can shoot the three.

This helps to address problem #1. The Cavs aren't done yet this offseason. They still need to re-sign Varejao (he can start at the 4 and doesn't have to try to guard centers like Howard) and possibly another big who can shoot (Rasheed or perhaps re-sign Joe Smith). They also need to target a guy about 6'-6" who can guard taller perimeter players when needed, to keep West and Williams out of trouble.

Hardrock69
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Not a huge basketball fan, but have been amazed at what Lebron has done this early in life. And to have Shaq come in like that, I would say their season next year is gonna be really interesting.

letsrock
06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Press release say they are now pursuing Vince Carter.

damngoodtimes
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
VC to Orlando for Alston and Courtney Lee.

If they re-sign Hedo (which might be problematic given how much more salary they just picked up), they could run out a starting lineup of Nelson, Carter, Hedo, Lewis, and Howard. Pretty formidable.

That enormous Lewis contract might make giving another one to Hedo difficult.

damngoodtimes
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
the only other problem I can see with that lineup (and I'm nit-picking here)...only one basketball.

POJO_Risin
06-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Vince Carter is a cancer to any team...I wouldn't want him and his ball-hogging, defenseless whining.

Now they need to go out and get themselves a swingman...or another big...and I'm not talking about that other whining cancer, Rasheed Wallace. I can't stand that fucker. Hell...they should go and get Odom as a smack to Kobe's face. Kobe's going to opt out of his deal and sign something bigger...and I hope it costs them Ariza and Odom...

Cavs aren't done yet...

damngoodtimes
06-26-2009, 07:34 AM
hey, poj. what's up, man?

I'm not thrilled about Sheed, either. He quit on that team this year. But it looks like a real possibility. I guess I could buy it on the Randy Moss to NE rationale. Winning should keep him in line and I don't think Bron and the other guys would put up with his shit.

I like the Danny Green pick last night. Looks like he can defend the perimeter with good size. The Congo dude is a long-term flier, not relevant for the '10 run.

Yeah, I hopy you're right on the VC thing; that's where I was going with my "one basketball" comment. I never wanted him here, so I guess I'm glad that's not happening.

Cavs are definitely not done.

letsrock
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Turaglue has opted out in orlando.
Thats a blow to that team.

damngoodtimes
06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
well, everyone knew Hedo was going to opt out. That's the best way for him to get the biggest contract. Orlando still would like to re-sign him (and can do so for more $ than anyone else), but with the huge contracts for VC, Lewis, and Howard, they are going to be paying massive luxury taxes. We'll see if they want to do that or not.

If they don't keep Hedo, they just got worse (VC for Hedo, not good for Orlando)

letsrock
06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I want him to sign with Cleveland.