PDA

View Full Version : Did Ed learn gear whoring from Mustaine?

indeedido
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1U-Go1cPxA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1U-Go1cPxA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
06-22-2009, 02:16 AM
I will admit taking a rack of Line 6 gear around the world is less of a headache than taking some good old Marshalls but sound better? What a joke. If digital modeling could hold up under concert volumes nobody would be messing with those big heavy tube amps. Face it. Tubes are a pain in the ass but we put up with it because they do what digital can't.

GAR
06-22-2009, 02:32 AM
What's interesting is how much he shares about how his rig is assembled.

I admired how he avoided the temptation to talk shit about Bob Bradshaw regarding the South American experience of his pedal switcher breaking down, that was very professional!

= I think he's holding sobreity down very well.

jhale667
06-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Sound quality issues aside, seems like it'd be less of a hassle on tour, until your presets got accidentally wiped, or something odd like that...nightmare.
I still can't see using modeling amps live.

:guitar:

GAR
06-22-2009, 02:44 AM
No low-end. No bass response below 100 cycles..

Mustaine makes some good selling points for it though:

- if you're a beginner touring, its an all-in-one
- if you can't afford rack effects, it has some usefull settings
- it is four channels, versatile enough for gainstage switching
- saves a lot of freight
- backpanel connectivity seems adequate to go anywhere you want to connect to

letsrock
06-22-2009, 11:24 AM
We have a Line 6 head and the thing is great. Yes there is no low end at low volumes. But thru the 4x12 it screams and higher volumes. If the presets get wiped your fucked.
It works well.

But the Crate tube amp we have, well like all quality tube amps when you crank it, it will scare the skin off of children and small animals. Plenty of bass to boot.

But i enjoy them both.

GAR
06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I would rather have a Crate Blue Voodoo 50watt head than a 1000 watt Line6 for this reason: how do you store your presets?

I had this same problem with an older rack unit, years ago. We'd rehearse at SIR and select custom presets for the singer's reverb, then the DeskCLIT or the DeskDICK would borrow the unit for another room and huups, thanks you fucked my presets - they're gone.

dlrevh00
06-23-2009, 03:12 AM
thats an old vid. Dave is back to Marshall after he couldnt get a good enough deal with Line6

katie
06-23-2009, 04:15 AM
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Gallery/product/marshall/425%20Marshall%20Full%20Stack%20PosterSubCat.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3rurgBoJYfo/SW0LfLGezxI/AAAAAAAAAPM/PjSM1jGuVO0/s400/BossME5Pedal.JPG

Marshall stack and an old ME5 rack is all you need.

Nitro Express
06-27-2009, 02:58 AM
What's interesting is how much he shares about how his rig is assembled.

I admired how he avoided the temptation to talk shit about Bob Bradshaw regarding the South American experience of his pedal switcher breaking down, that was very professional!

= I think he's holding sobreity down very well.

It was pretty obvious he was refering to Custom Audio Electronics. Nobody seems to like their Bradshaw board anymore. Gee. In the late 80's you were nobody without one.

jhale667
06-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Ah, technology...plus, more fish in the sea doing that these days, and doing it well.

GAR
06-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Really? Why won't Line6 put out a remote pedal switcher labeled so clearly an idiot could understand it?

A friend of mine bought one used outta the Recycler, paid $600 for the monstrosity and asked me to look at it. Black slab of sheetmetal with switches all over it.. but no labeling!

Is it that secret of a deal where IN and OUT are to be labeled? He flipped it for 7 or 800 anyways, but G-d was it a bitch to roll a rack with 3 heads, 2 echoplexes, a tray of pedals, and the foot controller all tucked in there? I swear the thing weighed over 500 pounds and it took 4 guys to hoist over the edge of a local stage.

Let's see Line6 solve that problem. If they wanna make fat margin on new product, all the Bradshaw board contains is relays and switches..

jhale667
06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
You're comparing apples and oranges, aren't you? Bradshaw's is switching alone, not an effects processor unto itself like a Line 6. And gee, once you set your presets to your liking, isn't the idea that you label it yourself, especially on a higher-end rig? :tongue0011:

GAR
06-27-2009, 03:25 PM
If Line6 does such fantasmically great engineering, they should look at one of the most simple solutions for guitarists people have been needing for along long time.

What I'm saying is, they should be able to master the Bradshaw thing with one hand tied behind their backs and one the market for it in one shot.

They've done chip-level architecture, the do their own prefab, they contract in china with pick n place microminiature PCB assemblies, so why can't they do a remote switcher for under $200 bucks?

I'd buy one.

Make two models: one to switch up to 6 racked pedals via cheap Category 5 or Cat6 network connections, and one for say 12 or 15.. or make a 6-channel modular one that can add daisey-chain together to control an unlimited number of pedals.