PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Kodak to discontinue Kodachrome

FORD
06-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Eastman Kodak to discontinue Kodachrome

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47648194.jpg
A saleswoman holds a box of Kodachrome film at an electronics shop in New York.
Eastman Kodak has announced it will discontinue the legendary 74-year-old film that
revolutionized color photography because of slow sales and dwindling demand in the digital age.

Sales of the film known for its rich, vibrant tones have plunged as photographers gravitated to digital cameras and newer film.
By Tiffany Hsu
June 23, 2009

Paul Simon can kiss his Kodachrome goodbye: Eastman Kodak Co. is discontinuing the storied 74-year-old color film.

As photographers gravitated to digital cameras and newer film, Kodachrome sales plunged to less than 1% of Kodak's total film sales. About 70% of the company's revenue now comes from digital sales.

Kodachrome labs worldwide have dwindled to just one, Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kan., which will offer the service through 2010.

Supplies of the film, known for its rich, vibrant tones, are expected to last until early fall.

The move comes as Kodak tries to focus its business. In January, the company said it would cut up to 4,500 jobs, or 18% of its workforce. Kodak shares fell 23 cents to $2.62; a year earlier the stock sold for $12.34.

Created in the 1930s by musicians Leopold Godowsky Jr. and Leopold Maines, who timed their experiments with a metronome, Kodachrome is often referred to as being "made by God and Man," according to a Kodak spokesman.

In 1973, Simon immortalized the film's "nice bright colors" in his song "Kodachrome." Even the scenic Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah was named after the film.

Photographer Steve McCurry used the film in 1985 for his famous National Geographic photo of an Afghan girl with piercing green eyes. McCurry has since abandoned Kodachrome, but he will shoot one of the last rolls of film before Kodak donates them to the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film in Rochester, N.Y., the company's hometown.

Most regulars at Tuttle Cameras in Long Beach who used Kodachrome are "between the ages of 50 and 150," manager Bernie Baltazar said. Nowadays, Baltazar's only interaction with Kodachrome is when customers bring in old slides, asking for them to be scanned and made into prints, he said.

"A lot of the old guys have rolled with the times," he said. "They all got out of Kodachrome a while ago."

As a young photographer, Baltazar, 41, used Kodachrome but drifted away as processing became more difficult and allegations grew that the chemicals used were harmful to the environment.

"I can shoot using any of my digital cameras and make the photo look like Kodachrome," he said.

I moved on to digital cameras years ago, but it's still kinda sad to see another classic American product bite the dust :(

Eastman Kodak to discontinue Kodachrome - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-kodachrome23-2009jun23,0,5125640.story)

FORD
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
And everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujhdf9_IO4w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujhdf9_IO4w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
*burp*

GAR
06-23-2009, 03:12 AM
swallowed?

letsrock
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Its amazing i was gonna list my Mini "C" cam corder on eBay.
These things sold for hundreds new. I watched as the other exact models like mine had winning bids of $10
So needless to say i wont waste the time.
Digital has done a number on the film industry.