Mr Walker
06-23-2009, 09:53 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/24/alg_mcmahon_carson.jpg

'Tonight Show' personality Ed McMahon dead at 86

BY Richard Huff
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Tuesday, June 23rd 2009, 8:14 AM
NBC

Ed McMahon, the former sidekick of Johnny Carson on "Tonight Show" turned commercial pitchman, has died.

McMahon's death came after years of financial turmoil, a threatened foreclosure on his home, and a terrible fall that resulted in a broken neck.

Publicist Howard Bragman said McMahon died early Tuesday at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center surrounded by his family. Bragman didn't give a cause of death, saying only that McMahon had a "multitude of health problems the last few months."

McMahon was 86.

Though he had a career that spanned decades, and across various media, McMahon will forever be known as Carson's announcer and comedic partner.

Along the way, he made "Hi-Yo!" and "Heeeeere's Johnnnny" parts of the American lexicon.

McMahon was the straight man for Carson's famed Carnac the Magnificent skits, during which Carson would guess an answer before McMahon even read the question.

"We didn't rehearse," McMahon told Larry King in a 2005 interview after Carson died. "You know, we never - I never saw it 'til, you know, I only - I'd see on the rundown, "Carnac," that's all I would see."

McMahon was born in Los Angeles, and raised in Lowell, Mass. He put himself through college by pitching products on the Atlantic City boardwalk.

He got his broadcasting start at a radio station in his hometown, and started in TV in Philadelphia. During the 1950s, he was the emcee of the game shows "Missing Links," "Snap Judgement" "Concentration" and "Who Dunnit?"

McMahon and Carson worked together on the game show "Who Do You Trust?" When Carson was named host of "Tonight" in 1962, McMahon went along.

For three decades McMahon introduced Carson nightly with a booming rally "Heeeeere's Johnnnny."

He remained with the show until Carson retired in 1992.

Outside of the "Tonight Show" McMahon was best known as the host of the talent competition "Star Search" and a commercial pitchman for American Family Publishers sweepstakes. He also hosted "TV Bloopers and Practical Jokes."

More recently, McMahon battled poor health and financial issues. He told Larry King the financial issues were the result of a perfect storm of problems.

"Well, if you spend more money than you make, you know what happens," he told King on CNN a year ago. "And it can happen. You know, a couple of divorces thrown in, a few things like that. And, you know, things happen. You want everything to be perfect, but that combination of the economy, I have a little injury, I have a situation. And it all came together."

In February, McMahon resurfaced and poked fun at the financial troubles in a Cash 4 Gold commercial alongside MC Hammer that aired during the Super Bowl.

'Tonight Show' personality Ed McMahon dead at 86 (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/06/23/2009-06-23_tonight_show_personality_ed_mcmahon_dies_at_86. html#ixzz0JGGCrV0U&D)

thome
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I was amazed when I found out several years ago he was broke.

Did his kids bleed him dry...?

I think Johnny made most of the money, but Star Search and The Tonight Show,(30years) Ed should have been solid...?

Did he gamble...?

Deff' one of the Icons of all TV..

RIP

letsrock
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Dont forget he also did tons of commercials over the years.

Publisher clearing House was just one of them.
But he also did life insurance and stuff like that as well.

thome
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Ed seemed a little detatched interviews on the radio and such.. and then a couple years later I hear rumors of Alzhiemers(sp) and then I hear a couple years after that he is broke.

I can understand alot of things happen ... I mean RockStars who are young and sharp..? have thier money ripped off by the management....etc...

Lots of Movie stars have -0- residuals etc...

I would really.. even though I am not family, -HATE- to hear of the ones who took advantage of a Alzhiemers ( senile) old man a ripped him:fufu: off ..sign this......... sign that kinda stuff....:019::punch:

Kid 1 is ripping him off ,so kid 2 does the same before all the money is gone, that happens everyday, sad really...

Maybe he blew it all on Hookers and Good Scotch...?

No matter what happend, he and Johnny were a large part of the best part of Television programming.

Kristy
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I was amazed when I found out several years ago he was broke.

Did his kids bleed him dry...?

I think Johnny made most of the money, but Star Search and The Tonight Show,(30years) Ed should have been solid...?

Did he gamble...?

Believe he fell into the trap of following bad financial/investment advice. I actually kind of liked the guy - until he did that inane Superbowl commercial for Cash4Gold the latest predatory scammers in these trouble times.

bueno bob
06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Believe he fell into the trap of following bad financial/investment advice. I actually kind of liked the guy - until he did that inane Superbowl commercial for Cash4Gold the latest predatory scammers in these trouble times.

Yep. I know a few folks unfortunate enough to try that bullshit and they haven't had a day since that they regretted it. They sent out their gold, got an offer FAR below what it was worth, asked that it be returned and were then informed that it'd already been melted down. Three separate people.

Sorry to hear about Ed. Definitely a class act up to the end.

Kristy
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not a betting person but am willing to say Cash4Gold undercuts whomever sells to them by 40- 60% of what the gold is actually worth. Not that I'm against those making a profit but they seem to prey on America's simpletons who seem to be of the type who spend their Cash4Gold payoff on lottery tickets.

McMahon was a wee bit out of my generation but the guy was a class act and maybe with the stories of him being in bad health had probably had outstanding medical bills that made him sell his soul for doing a commercial for the cons at Cash4Gold. That, or he didn't want to leave his family in debt.

sadaist
06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not a betting person but am willing to say Cash4Gold undercuts whomever sells to them by 40- 60% of what the gold is actually worth.

I've seen some stories on these guys. They're not a scam, but they do undercut you in a big way with their "first" offer. If you don't accept and squabble just a little bit, you get a decent price. (If they haven't already melted it down as Bobs friends had happen) Still not as good as a local pawn shop, but in my experience half of the pawn shop guys are shady too.

As for Ed, I saw this coming but I still hate to see it. You know, sometimes I hate opening Yahoo! first thing every day for fear of what the top stories are going to be. The last several years of this mans life were filled with turmoil. Hopefully he has some peace now. Unfortunately for the family, I fear the fighting is just about to begin.

BITEYOASS
06-23-2009, 04:49 PM
God damn this is sad! Especially since he was an USMC observation pilot during the battle of Iwo Jima and also during the Korean War.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2009/06/marine_mcmahon_062309w/062309mc_mcmahon_ed.JPG

ZahZoo
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Kinda a bummer to see most of the entertainment icons of the last 50 years all passing...

What's worse is there's no one as great replacing them from younger generations.

Mr Walker
06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
http://cdn.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/99ed_mcmahon.jpg

Mr Walker
06-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Best Week Ever » Blog Archive » The Top 10 Ed McMahon McMoments (http://www.bestweekever.tv/2009/06/23/the-top-10-ed-mcmahon-mcmoments/)

Nickdfresh
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Good night Ed...

Maybe this is a bit sad and even inappropriate, but my memories of Ed McMahon involve Phil Hartman's wooden impersonation of him to Dana Carvey's Johnny Carson...

Funny as hell...

GAR
06-24-2009, 04:46 AM
He was one "dont take no shit from nobody" mofo..

Matt White
06-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Rip ed

fryingdutchman
06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
See ya, Ed.

You asskissing, second-banana phony.

FORD
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
And tonight's debut episode of "The Tonight Show in Hell".....

Johnny and Ed welcome guests Farrah Fawcett, David Carradine, and Michael Jackson

fryingdutchman
06-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey Doc Severinsen....

Tick-tock, hornblower....

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 03:27 PM

That's the dumbest concept. Send gold jewlery through the mail. You would probably do better shopping it around to variouse pawn shops.

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Good night Ed...

Maybe this is a bit sad and even inappropriate, but my memories of Ed McMahon involve Phil Hartman's wooden impersonation of him to Dana Carvey's Johnny Carson...

Funny as hell...

The Carsoneo skit was fabulousely funny! :D

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Yep. I know a few folks unfortunate enough to try that bullshit and they haven't had a day since that they regretted it. They sent out their gold, got an offer FAR below what it was worth, asked that it be returned and were then informed that it'd already been melted down. Three separate people.

Sorry to hear about Ed. Definitely a class act up to the end.

You must have to have a good magnifying glass to read the terms and conditions statement. Basically it probably says god sent to us will not be returned.

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
As far as pawn shops go, it's best to do business with one you know the people. Some have been ran by multiple generations of family members and are not a fly by lately opperation. I would trust certain pawn shops more than I would trust certain jewerly stores.