PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Upgrades BullSHIT

GAR
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
As you may know, I've been digging old projects out of storage for either giving to friends, Salvation Army, or trash.

The latest project is getting my own system setup, which I need to do music on using the new Apogee ONE boiling it all down from 20 years of computer eWaste.

After I'm done recovering all files onto one backup drive, I am not sure if I should get a new Mac or a PC.

I want to know does anyone know the answer to this: If you run a Mac and move up to a larger drive, or upgrade to a new machine, does the OS play registration games when you do like Windows XP does?

Everything was fine for me with Windows up to Win98, you could pull a drive out and stick in a new case, or stick in a new motherboard and you're cool. I'm getting pretty tired of screwing with lost serial numbers - I already DONE that the first time and XP wants it again and again as the hard drive hops around sucking the data off other machines!

Do the Mac users have this headache: if you throw an older drive into a newer barebones machines, does the OS fuck with you wanting a new license, reinput of the serial, jacking you in denying your reinstall shit like that?

I tell you what, cuz I'm fucking thru with Windows YEARS ago. They killed my support a decade ago, just like my sympathy and I know the Mac has both a Unix base and fairly smooth functioning. I know it comes at the cost of twice the required memory size to do the same thing but RAM is now really really cheap per MB and if I invest in a whole new setup, I'm throwing it ALL away and just using the one setup.

standin
06-25-2009, 01:38 AM
you should have a file for your numbers ....
If you lose them that is like throwing money out the window.... :biggrin:

If you stuff updated and keep everything ligit... there is no problems with a PC.
It is when you try to go with undocumented works or unproven or unapproved works that you let boogeyman's in.

GAR
06-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Well for example, I got an XP disk I kept with the original Microshaft booklet thingy, but never bothered to put the idiot sticker on the case cuz I thought that looked gay.

Now I'm the queer searching the internet for a serial that'll work for an old Service Pack 2 disk.. none of them are working!

This is a bother. Do Mac's have this issue? Cuz I'm hating Windows at this point and don't get me on about Vista I dont ever wanna see that again.

standin
06-25-2009, 02:25 AM
you are that guy...

GAR
06-25-2009, 02:29 AM
.. who is seriously considering a Mac.

letsrock
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
the big problem with the serial number game is this. There is a program that some techs use that will search for a new serial number. So that you can use the same win2000, XP, or Vista disk over and over. The problem is this. John and Jane Doe buy a new PC. they go home and fire it up (the computer) well they get a message that they have an illegal copy of windows. Why? because of these people force cracking the systems. It happens.

If your software is in storage even though it will load, good luck having an install key that will work. Most likely someone is using it.

indeedido
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
John and Jane Doe buy a new PC. they go home and fire it up (the computer) well they get a message that they have an illegal copy of windows.

Thanks for clarifying the computer got fired up. I first thought John and Jane fired it up. :doggystyle:

flappo
06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
there's a reason why most recording studios use macs

and it's not just cos they're pretty

GAR
06-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Well, iLife comes with iTunes and GarageBand $79 without a new Mac or preloaded free with a new one!

The demonstration I have seen recently with Garageband and other programs using the Mac and the soon to be out Apogee One is flawless. Lagless. Realtime recording no jitter or funkystuff nonlinear disk recording and I like it.

And the cases on all Macs are so smooth, like my testicles, so when I dock my coch I won't be zapped or nicked that's a good thing.

GAR
06-26-2009, 03:10 AM
The cases on my old macs in storage are SHIT utter fucking crap however.

I had quadra 640, powermac 6100, 7200AV, 8300, 9300 w G3 cpu card.. the cases when they break or tip over, or the feet knock off or the CD face plastics when getting moved is really upsetting.

GAR
06-26-2009, 03:18 AM
the big problem with the serial number game is this. There is a program that some techs use that will search for a new serial number. So that you can use the same win2000, XP, or Vista disk over and over. The problem is this. John and Jane Doe buy a new PC. they go home and fire it up (the computer) well they get a message that they have an illegal copy of windows. Why? because of these people force cracking the systems. It happens.

If your software is in storage even though it will load, good luck having an install key that will work. Most likely someone is using it.

What I did with that Jellybean program, was pull up the serial to the notebook PC and that worked fine. But I had to use a newly formatted drive and reinstall XP.

Now I have to extract all the older files from all directories, from a few dozen other drives I can't get booted into now.

Ever done this shit? The meticulous routine is just like splitting atoms.. drill up, drill down, open folder, ctrl+X, ctrl+V, drill back up, delete folder..

I remember when I started this madness Xmas 2006, I had the fireplace melt down 20 hard drives I was so pissed - from all the money toileted in drives over the years - all the drives with bad sectors and fragged files... they melted really good on top of white hot California Eucalyptus coals.

Pissed cuz I can remember like yesterday when a $400 Western Digital 30meg hard drive was a good deal, and I'm staring at the fireplace crankin' embers up the chute like a blast furnace, and the stacks of old drives are just melting away. Stacks and stacks. Dozens.

letsrock
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Your right it is amazing how cheap memory has become.

GAR
06-26-2009, 09:51 PM
HA! I uncovered an ad from one of the vendors I used to sell to, I think this is '97, selling a list of hard drives under $200 bucks and none of em are over 2 gb.

Right now, I'm transferring files between win3.11, win95, 98 and XP using a thumb drive memory stick 8 gb that cost under TWENTY BUCKS.

Hows that for self-loathing. I got one plastic milk crate full of hard drives few of which are over 540mb, most of em bad sectors or bad file allocation tables, and as I get em to boot up and/or copy files, chuckin' em in another crate for trash.

I made a few ebay ads with no interest. I think the day of solid-state memory is here to stay, to the death march of the motorized hard disk! And when that happens, boy modern technology is really gonna leapfrog because you'll be sending your kid to school with a notebook in his backpack instead of textbooks.

Another bitch I have to spout, is about all the FUCKING LITERATURE for motherboards and peripheral cards that have piled up.

It used to be, you buy parts for your computer, the driver software would come on diskettes with a fancy color instruction booklet. I used to format the disks to pass virii around to friends and family, and kept the literature. Now that it's here sitting in a pile on the ground, all those motherboard purchases seem like motherfuckin' booooool-shit wastes of money because just when you think you have a fine system, Microsoft would come up with another bloated version of Windows to fuck you over with. So you needed those instruction manuals everytime you needed to change the processor, once so vital, now worth SHIT fucking shit shit shit..

Same story for Mac, but at least they spared you the exhorbitant upgrade costs of all those peripherals you bought for PC, by not giving you the choice at all. You either bought Apple crap, or an "approved" vendor, and you might find a better price than local thru Mac Alley or Computer Shopper, a better deal on an already limited market high price is still too high of a price.

I'm sick of it. So much money and free time wasted trying to make shit work, I coulda been out mowing lawns those summers for beer money instead of selecting IRQ ports and DMA addresses.

jhale667
06-27-2009, 04:23 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/Macedonia_Mafia/Funny%20Pictures/monitorslapbnw2.gif

:rolleyes:

GAR
06-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Jay's vested more money at the bar than his computer over the years.. never been to a computer show, never had to deal with soundcard drivers or CDrom installs, changing cases or motherboards. But he can solder a pickup!

That's one skill at least, good for you..

Nitro Express
06-27-2009, 01:59 PM
My niece works for a company that was bought out by Microsoft. She now is always hoping a plane to Seattle for meetings up at Microsof's Redmond headquarters. She says Microsoft is killing it's golden goose because they have too much money and are too arrogant. They also think the world revolves around Redmond.

She says the only thing the company has going is it's huge market share. That's it. They suck on innovation and they are falling behind. Also, the software industry is more international now. I wouldn't be suprized to see future operating systems come out of Asia in the future. That's where all the computers are made so the software will be next.

Apple will continue to grow it's share but Apple seems to be a love hate thing. I have both PC's and Apples. I only run Windows XP though. I refuse to use that computer virus called Vista.

jhale667
06-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Jay's vested more money at the bar than his computer over the years.. never been to a computer show, never had to deal with soundcard drivers or CDrom installs, changing cases or motherboards. But he can solder a pickup!

That's one skill at least, good for you..

Gambled and LOST! :lmao:

Again, more talking out your ass about things you know nothing about...for starters, I actually built the PC I'm currently running...let's see...all my office software, entertainment system and even guitar amp emulation software and Pro Tools on.
Oh, it's also the one I'm owning you readily here with. :fufu: And yeah, I regularly upgrade it, much like my guitars that bother you so much...

Jackass...

:guitar:

GAR
06-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I refuse to use that computer virus called Vista.

I think Microsoft lost it's ass on Vista, that's why they're letting everybody hopscotch past it with the Windows7 coming out.

You can already download it in Beta 1, meaning it's nearly complete. When I was a Microshaft partner, they'd handout Beta2's at meetings that you could be fairly certain were near-releases and not pre-vaporware like Vista.

GAR
06-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's another problem I've had crop up from time to time:

You cannot use some Maxtor drives with a Western Digital, and WD's don't always work with Seagate.

Also, when they went from 40-pin IDE hard drives, to Enhanced IDE, and then to S.M.A.R.T. EIDE, they didn't specify compatibility in the new specs as drives got faster.

So what I got going on now also as a problem, you can't have a SMART-EIDE drive on the same ribbon cable as an EIDE or an older 420 mb IDE drive.