PDA

View Full Version : R.i.p. Farrah fawcett!!!!!

Hardrock69
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM
http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/farrah-fawcett.jpg

Farrah Fawcett dies after cancer battle

BY VERNE GAY 12:52 PM EDT, June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett, a reigning symbol of American pop culture who never quite managed to escape the one electrifying role that made her that symbol -- as one of "Charlie's Angels" -- has died. She was 62, and had been suffering from anal cancer, which had recently spread to her liver.

A near-mythic figure of '70s TV screen and pinup poster fame, with her radiant grin and bounteous hair, Fawcett became a cultural star -- at one time adored, then mimicked by fans, and mobbed by paparazzi. She was one of those uniquely Hollywood/tabloid creations who was famous simply because ... she was famous.

"She was a joy to work with," said Robert Greenwald, the veteran producer who cast her in her most respected TV role, "The Burning Bed," based on a true story about an abused woman who kills her husband by setting fire to him while he slept.

"She was smart, passionate and creative and a real fighter on every level. She had tremendous respect for the material and went places that a beautiful star like her had not gone and that will have a lasting mark. She helped change laws [through the movie] and inspired many other actresses. For many years it was literally a line that someone would use -- X or Y wants to do her 'Burning Bed.'"

Fawcett also had a mythic battle with the industry that would make her so indelibly famous too, and that conflict resonates to this day as well. At the instigation of her agent at the time, she walked out on her contract for "Charlie's Angels," precipitating a war with some of the industry's major powers, such as Aaron Spelling and ABC, a network that was riding to success on the back of the show after years in the Dumpster.

Veteran producer Barney Rosenzweig ("Cagney & Lacey") was show-runner the first year of "Angels." "I never held it against Farrah but the industry did. It was really going to teach her a lesson and she was going to be the object lesson that they were going to use -- partly because she was up against someone as powerful as Aaron Spelling and his connections with the ABC network were so strong."

Indeed, Fawcett -- whom Rosenzweig called "lovely and talented and bright and funny" -- didn't work on an ABC series until a couple of decades later.

"It did not ruin her career but she could have been the next Carole Lombard," he says. "It was an amazing opportunity and [the fallout] put a damper on where she could go and what she could do. But she sucked it up and did what she had to do to make amends.

"'Charlie's Angels,'" he adds, "helped everybody connected to it except Farrah. It helped her, sure, but it did a lot of damage to her as well."

Born in Corpus Christi, Texas, in 1947, Fawcett moved to Los Angeles after high school, and was cast in small roles in series such as "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Flying Nun." After marrying TV star Lee Majors in 1973, she guest-starred in four episodes of his hit series "The Six Million Dollar Man" and began doing ads for Wella Balsam hair products. That led to a poster company inquiring about taking her picture.

A deal was struck, and the Fawcett pinup -- featuring the star in a red bathing suit that didn't hide much at all -- became a worldwide best-seller. It remains her iconic image: A picture that for some still recalls an entire decade.

Despite later attempts at serious TV movies and stage work, it was just one role that defined Fawcett for the past 30 years, for better or worse. In 1976, Fawcett -- then credited as Fawcett-Majors -- was cast as Jill Munroe, one of three female detectives in an ABC series that was originally going to be called "The Alley Cats." The trio never actually saw their boss, but were sent off on assignments to health spas or beaches or nightclubs -- where they might model either snug-fitting bathing suits or Nolan Miller gowns. ABC spent up to $20,000 per episode on the costumes Fawcett, Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith wore -- insanely profligate even in 1970s dollars.

Predictably, the press hated the show, and just as predictably, the public loved it. When it bowed on Sept. 22, 1976, "Charlie's Angels" was seen by nearly 59 percent of the viewing audience; In 2009, only Super Bowls manage that kind of viewership.

Rosenzweig recalls that it was "just this amazing, amazing success. I was there the first half of the first season and first week on the set it was on the cover of Time Magazine Prince Charles was on the set. People on staff were operating in a rarefied atmosphere that I had never experienced before or since. It was stratospheric."

In his 2002 autobiography, creator Aaron Spelling, who died in 2006, noted that "any time we put one of the angels in a bathing suit, and we would have been stupid not to, the press called it 'jiggle.' Why damn us with that silly word? ... The women spent more of their time in the fantastic Nolan Miller gowns."

Spelling sought Fawcett after casting Jaclyn Smith; he needed a pretty blonde, explaining, "We were looking for a California beach girl type and Farrah was perfect for that. She was drop-dead gorgeous and the living image of the beautiful blonde in tennis shorts or a bathing suit."

Fawcett quit after one season to pursue a movie career, which led to a sensational breach-of-contract suit and an ultimate truce in which she agreed to appear in six additional episodes. ABC then cast Cheryl Ladd as Jill's sister, Kris, reasoning that viewers would never hate the sister of the woman who ditched the series.

"Charlie's Angels" lasted until 1981 -- more than enough time to keep ABC the top-rated network in television -- although the damage to Fawcett's career was severe.

She never worked on a series for ABC again, and in the then tight-knit world of network TV, earned a reputation as "troublesome." After her post-"Angels" movie career ("Sunburn," "Saturn 3") faltered, series roles were elusive though Fawcett used that setback to her advantage. She scored roles in a serious off-Broadway drama ("Extremities") and several well-regarded TV movies ("The Burning Bed," " Margaret Bourke-White") that almost made people forget about Jill.

But her career rehab turned out to be hit or miss. Later lowlights included posing nude in Playboy (1995); a memorably incoherent appearance on "Late Show with David Letterman" (1997); and a well-publicized altercation with her then-boyfriend, director James Orr (1998).

After divorcing Majors in 1980, she began a tempestuous, tabloid-friendly relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal, with whom she co-starred in "Good Sports," a short-lived 1991 CBS series. Their son, Redmond, 24, was -- recently was arrested after police said he brought drugs into a California jail.

Her battle with cancer was made public in 2006, and she subsequently signed a deal with a California TV producer to create a show that would follow her on her tireless rounds of treatments for a disease she was certain she would beat. The program aired May 15 on NBC.

"Farrah's Story" will be her final credit.

Farrah Fawcett dies after cancer battle -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/ny-etfarr0625,0,4148716.story)

vaijuju
06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
whooaa! rip Farrah fawcett

Vinnie Velvet
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
RIP Farrah.

A true icon of beauty.

letsrock
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
tragic end.

FORD
06-25-2009, 03:50 PM
It's tragic that Farrah lost her fight, but at least she had the resources to fight a three year battle.

How even more tragic for those with cancer who are unable to fight at all, or indeed even realize that they have cancer in time to fight it, because they can't afford to see a fucking doctor.

Support true health care reform, so others may have the chance Farrah had.

standin
06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Take care on your journey.

Diamondjimi
06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
What a shame. She was a good actress and dynamite piece of ass in her day. Lee Majors was one lucky s.o.b. back in the late 70's.

Cancer.A sad way to go...

R.I.P. Farrah... :(

http://13.media.tumblr.com/3YN3ECG62nhtj23wm6vQBSpjo1_500.jpg

Matt White
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
RIP Farrah................

a true 70's ICON

Seshmeister
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
We're all doomed, doomed I tell ya.

Seshmeister
06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Humans have evolved to breed in their teens and then get those kids to adulthood.

In other words anything over 30 is a fucking bonus brought to you by science and communicated to you over the interweb by science.

Time to stop the fucking woo woo religion shit and realise that.

ELVIS
06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I respect your opinion on most any subject, and your analytical mind is appreciated, as well as your honesty...

Religion has proven, throughout history to be good, bad and everything in between...

I don't think having a belief and faith in God and prayer is "religion." Also, studying Comparative Religion is enough to turn anyone away...

But religion is more of an organized practice of basically anything, the way I see it...

But I don't want to argue with you about it, especially in a thread where we are giving our thoughts and respect to those that have passed, because we've been there, done that, etc.

But maybe another day...;)

RIP Farrah...:(

:elvis:

Igosplut
06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
In other words anything over 30 is.........

Basically we're BOTH fucked...

Thanks for pointing that out.....

ELVIS
06-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Both ??

What about me ??

Igosplut
06-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Both ??

What about me ??

You too. But I think you've redeemed yourself better than us though..

You'll probably get a pass.....

Nickdfresh
06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Later lowlights included posing nude in Playboy (1995)

Um, to the author of this mostly informed and decent piece...

Sir, you are a jackass with that statement, that was no "lowlight" indeed and was quite splendorous. She was very artistic I think... :)

Nickdfresh
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Humans have evolved to breed in their teens and then get those kids to adulthood.

In other words anything over 30 is a fucking bonus brought to you by science and communicated to you over the interweb by science.

Time to stop the fucking woo woo religion shit and realise that.

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/allposters/80/1800089980p.jpg

Ha!

fryingdutchman
06-25-2009, 11:10 PM
R.I.P., Farrah.

Of course, your passing has been totally blown out of the water by Michael Jackson's death at this point.

But it is very sad, nonetheless.

Too bad Farrah's struggle seemed to get a little "cheapened" at the end, with that documentary and the controversy surrounding it.

davehagarfan
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
It really sucks that her passing has been overshadowed by Michael Jackson's. Her Playboy spread in the 90s was fucken hot!

FORD
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Pure shock value. Farrah's death was expected, sadly. Michael's wasn't.

DavidLeeNatra
06-26-2009, 01:24 AM
As a schoolkid my teacher asked me which one of Charlie's Angels I like most...the blonde, I answered...

sad, very sad...

RIP, Jill Munroe

twonabomber
06-26-2009, 02:30 AM
i remember winning that poster at the fair, throwin' darts. i stunk at throwin' darts, but i wanted that fuckin' poster....and i got it.

Panamark
06-26-2009, 03:34 AM
RIP Farrah. :(

What a stunning woman.
If her heart equalled her beauty, then the world just lost
out big time.

Dont forget to wave at Wacko when you pass him in
opposite directions !

binnie
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
R.I.P.

A sad day

GAR
06-26-2009, 04:02 AM
I respect your opinion on most any subject, and your analytical mind is appreciated, as well as your honesty...

Sesh's opinions on faith and religion are crass and of a baser sort that I do not find any respect for, and certainly too glib for this thread.

Especially since, being Catholic AND having her son out of wedlock since the Catholic Church wouldn't wanna know her if she did marry Ryan. Religion plays a big story in Farrah's death, her unhappiness and her kid's image of himself in light of her messed up parents doing the will of some cult org rather than doing what was right in getting married and raising the kid as a married couple.

In conclusion, Fuck the Pope!

sadaist
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
But I don't want to argue with you about it, especially in a thread where we are giving our thoughts and respect to those that have passed

RIP Farrah...:(

Why not? Ford showed his opportunistic asshole side by using this tragedy to plug his political agenda.

One nice thing for Farrah's loved ones, with Michael Jackson also passing away the same day, they will get the privacy they have requested. She seemed like a brave woman and I have much respect for her. She was one of the very few authentic people in Hollywood. I never had the Farrah poster as a young boy, but I dated girls that copied her hair. Hope she has some peace now. :(

Susie Q
06-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Yah, I get it...in my local newspaper He's on the front page with a big picture and just a tiny little picture and blurb about Farrah.

I watched the Farrah Story and was moved from her journey. At least she can be finally at rest.

alexpgrimes
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I had her poster on my wall. I wonder if any of the original dallas cowboy cheerleaders have kicked the bucket yet???

Nitro Express
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I had a teacher in grade school that looked just like Farrah Faucet. Man. I loved it when she bent over to help me on an assignment and I could see some clevage or she would walk by and I would check out her ass. Man. Little Nitro was heading towards puberty and growing up.:biggrin:

BITEYOASS
06-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Guess you all forgot to post the Racquel Welch & Farah Fawcett Lesbian scene:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M47vXpdvnZk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M47vXpdvnZk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's so damn hot that it even makes Rex Reed Straight for a moment. LOL

lesfunk
06-26-2009, 04:27 PM
expected, no. Appreciated? Yes!

lesfunk
06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
And on the subject of Farrah... THOSE NIPPLES!

Diamondjimi
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Nice nipple slip @ 1:37!:boobeyes:

Seshmeister
06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/allposters/80/1800089980p.jpg

Ha!

I've been amber for ages now... :)

Nickdfresh
06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Sesh's opinions on faith and religion are crass and of a baser sort that I do not find any respect for, and certainly too glib for this thread.

Especially since, being Catholic AND having her son out of wedlock since the Catholic Church wouldn't wanna know her if she did marry Ryan. Religion plays a big story in Farrah's death, her unhappiness and her kid's image of himself in light of her messed up parents doing the will of some cult org rather than doing what was right in getting married and raising the kid as a married couple.

In conclusion, Fuck the Pope!

How did religion give Farrah ass cancer? Why did god give Jesterstar your ass cancer?

Nitro Express
06-27-2009, 02:30 AM
And on the subject of Farrah... THOSE NIPPLES!

:erection:

Angel
06-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Holy Fuck! That video is fucking hot!!

RIP Farrah...

thome
06-29-2009, 03:36 AM
The are very few women in the media who could be given the label -Captivating-. And I believe there are now no more.I would have to think real hard.

Farrah was such a woman.

She embodied fun and sexy with a touch of childishness that I believe was perhaps a little of a act, but her act was natural to her and heart warming to me and others.

She seemed to be a no lies with who she was, to you, kinda broad.

Open.

And that is cool. myop

No I never met her but some chicks are interesting... more than just a pretty face..etc..

RIP

Seshmeister
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Ooof! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mediocre1/farahjackson1.jpg