PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone on Facebook?

GAR
06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
SoCal Chelle invited me to join Facebook, I think because she was going to let her site "tormentedvhfans.com" go down.

The invite has been awhile ago - isn't this one of those myspace things where you put up all your personal informations online so people you barely know can make retarded comments about what they think of you?

So now I am a New Member for the moment but I don't know how to use it.

Any tips?
Can you make money on it like Ebay?
What am I supposed to know about it to make it work?
Anyone else on it I should be aware of?

Sarge's Little Helper
06-30-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi GAR Welcome to The Diamond David Lee Roth Army. The ROTH ARMY carries the Van Halen Torch, Diamond David Lee Roth Style! This is where Classic Van Halen is celebrated and Diamond Dave reigns as the Supreme Toastmaster of the Immoral Majority. Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay!

binnie
06-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Its like myspace.

It's a social networking site in which you put a profile telling people about yourself and find other people you know on there to keep in touch. You often find people that you haven't seen in years....

Douglas T.
06-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Yep it's much better than MySPace regarding finding old friends! I joined about thre months ago and found dozens of old friends now living around the country! I have also gotten a couple cabinet jobs because of it! It involves inputting more personal information than I care to share here. MySpace is more colorful and anonymous.

binnie
06-30-2009, 08:44 AM
That's a pretty good summary DT....

sadaist
06-30-2009, 08:54 AM
You often find people that you haven't seen in years....

There is usually a reason I haven't seen those people in years, so I'm not about to make a Facebook page or MySpace so they can try to reconnect.

Douglas T.
06-30-2009, 08:58 AM
There is usually a reason I haven't seen those people in years, so I'm not about to make a Facebook page or MySpace so they can try to reconnect.

You owe them money? :biggrin:

binnie
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Nah, he fucked their girlfriends :D

sadaist
06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Nah, he fucked their girlfriends :D

There was some of that. And a few fucked mine. But really, when I think of people from 20 years ago, there was a reason we quit hanging out together & lost touch. If we were such great friends we would have stayed in touch. I went to my 10 year reunion and it was fun at first. But after talking to some of the people for a few minutes you realize what idiots they are and why you prefer not to see them in the first place. Skipped the 20 year for that very reason.

standin
06-30-2009, 10:10 AM
SoCal Chelle invited me to join Facebook, I think because she was going to let her site "tormentedvhfans.com" go down.

The invite has been awhile ago - isn't this one of those myspace things where you put up all your personal informations online so people you barely know can make retarded comments about what they think of you?

So now I am a New Member for the moment but I don't know how to use it.

Any tips?
Can you make money on it like Ebay?
What am I supposed to know about it to make it work?
Anyone else on it I should be aware of?

I have one, but I use it, at this time, in a very limited way.

Facebook can work for you or against you.

Facebook is not as selective or dependable in reputation as it used to be, when you had to be affilated with a university to join. But it has settled down some and provides a good way to build an online repution and network in a professional way. Plus the social asspect of "finding" old friends and misplaced family.

Myspace is more geared toward entertainment.

Think of it like this. Facebook is like business afterhours or civic social and Myspace is like a bar, coffee house or hooka room.

That said the selection of your "friends" and thier reputation or verifibiliy is a reflection on you. There will always be people that will tolerate any ole' ID. And you can go on and create a crazy ID and spend time building that ID, but what you are left with is a hollow ID. It is better to just deny information that to create crazy information to "impress".

Douglas, morning, I need more coffee. :D When I first read your reply, I was like Cabinet jobs? WTF? How the hell did he get Cabinet jobs from Facebook. After another sip of coffee... I was like.... Ohhhh... yea... he's a woodmaster...in pops some of your works to my memory... oh yea, he is really good.

standin
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Here are three sentences structures that can assist you, Gar.

That is inapproperiate...
I am uncomfortable with ...
I do not care to share ....

GAR
07-01-2009, 02:33 AM
"face-BOOK" its weird..

lesfunk
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Facebook is an excellent tool for promoting Savage Brothers (my band) Shows. Combined with our website, we've seen our attendance grow remarkably since we started implementing it.

Angel
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I produced a cabaret this spring that usually just barely breaks even, and this time it made a profit of $1500.

A lot of people said they heard about it through facebook.

I've also found a lot of people that I lost touch with years ago. Not because I wanted to, but because we just didn't have the communication technology available that we do now. I'm actually looking forward to my reunion this year, of course the assholes I never want to see again will be there, I've already run into some of them on facebook.

One tried to start up a flame war with me... I got sick of it and owned him Roth forums style. He blocked me. LOL

letsrock
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Its odd.

GAR
09-29-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm still not too hip to this thing - I forgot my pissword!

Diamondjimi
09-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Yeah, just like your existence here.
THink about it. You can fill in all 3 of your lame ass Myspace friends on Facebook about your adventures at the library and bullshitting pawn shop owners...

I'm still not too hip to this thing - I forgot my pissword!

Try: peeonboys. :Loser:

GAR
09-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Jokes on you - Im already banned! /thats why I cant login

VanHalener
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Over the last year Facebook has helped bring over 100 people back into my life and I am so happy about that I could just shit my pants.
My highschool class of 1985 was a great group of cats and over the last two and a half decades we have all scattered and lost touch, but thanks to Facebook many of us have been able to see each other and resume our friendships. I phuckin' love it. We have camped, fished, visited one another, had reunion gatherings and laughed at how young we really are in our hearts. Military and college friends abound as well but thank God for Facebook and the chance to spend quality time with folks I spent many a year with in my youth.

The down side for me is in fact the multitude of stupid posts that some love to make every five minutes. Other than that I give Facebook two thumbs up.

VanHalener
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Maybe some of them ought to check out this article on how to write interesting status updates on FB. (http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2009-06-09-status-writing-online_N.htm) ;)

~Exxxxxactly~