PDA

View Full Version : Another Empty Suit In The Senate

ULTRAMAN VH
07-01-2009, 05:16 AM
:barf:
Franken wins Senate fight
June 30: Almost eight months after Election Day, the Minnesota Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered that Democrat Al Franken be certified as winner of the long-running U.S. Senate race. NBC's Kelly O'Donnell reports.
Nightly News

updated 7:41 p.m. ET, Tues., June 30, 2009
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Al Franken ascended Tuesday from the hallowed ranks of former "Saturday Night Live" comedians to an even more exclusive club, outlasting Republican Norm Coleman in an eight-month recount and courtroom saga to win a seat in the U.S. Senate.

Franken's victory gives Democrats control of 60 seats in the Senate — the critical number needed to overcome Republican filibusters. When Franken is seated, which could come as early as next week, his party will have a majority not reached on either side of the aisle in some three decades.

"When you win an election this close, you know not one bit of effort went to waste," Franken said. "The way I see it, I'm not going to Washington to be the 60th Democratic senator, I'm going to Washington to be the second senator from Minnesota."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coleman conceded the election hours after a unanimous state Supreme Court ruled that Franken — who transition into politics with books poking fun at conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh — should be certified the winner. In doing so, he pulled the plug on a bitter election that was ultimately decided by 312 votes out of nearly 2.9 million cast.

"Franni and I are so thrilled that we can finally celebrate this victory," Franken told reporters outside his downtown Minneapolis town house, where he was accompanied by his wife. He added: "I can't wait to get started."

Months of intrigue
Coleman could have carried his fight into federal court, but it was unlikely to overturn the state Supreme Court's decision. The prospect created months of intrigue over whether Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty would sign an election certificate for Franken if Coleman was still pursing appeals, a possibility that became moot with Coleman's concession.

"The Supreme Court has made its decision and I will abide by the results," Coleman said outside his St. Paul home. Appearing relaxed and upbeat, Coleman said he had congratulated Franken, was at peace with the decision and had no regrets about the fight.

"Sure I wanted to win," said Coleman, who declined to talk about his future and brushed aside a question about whether he would run for governor in 2010. "I thought we had a better case. But the court has spoken."

After Coleman ended election night ahead by several hundred votes, he called on Franken to concede. The Democrat refused, and the thin margin triggered an automatic recount that ultimately put him ahead by 225 votes. Coleman challenged those results in January, but a review by a three-judge panel expanded Franken's lead to 312 votes by the time it ended in April.

Coleman appealed to the state's high court later that month, arguing election officials across Minnesota were inconsistent with rules on absentee ballots, unfairly robbing thousands of people of their votes. But the state's high court soundly rejected that reasoning, voting 5-0 that there was no reason to apply a more lenient standard in judging absentees, as Coleman wanted, than the law required.

"I think what you had was 12 judges look at this through the canvassing process, through the recount and throughout the trial, and all agreeing unanimously that I won more votes than anybody else in the election," Franken said. "I think that is conclusive, and I think that this has been as thorough, as painstaking, as transparent as possible."

Long way from 1980s 'SNL' skits
Franken has come a long way from the goofy 1980s "SNL" skits where he mocked politicians, portrayed the self-affirming Stuart Smalley and pranced around in little more than a Speedo. His career evolved in the 1990s with books harpooning Limbaugh and he later gained a liberal following as a radio show host on the "Air America" network.

Minnesota has elevated an entertainer to political office before, most notably when it elected ex-pro wrestler Jesse Ventura governor in 1998.

Franken declared his candidacy more than two years ago, and he and Coleman combined to spend $50 million in pursuit of the seat. That's more than double what was spent in 2002, when Coleman won the seat that had been held by the late Paul Wellstone.

For Democrats to exercise their newfound strength with Franken in office, they will need to be as united in support of a bill as Republicans are in opposition, regardless of regional differences, ideology, or political self-interest. .

The situation is further complicated by the illness of two senior Democrats who have been absent from the Capitol for weeks. West Virginia Sen. Robert C. Byrd was recently released from a hospital after undergoing treatment for a staph infection, and Massachusetts Sen. Edward M. Kennedy is battling brain cancer. It is not known when, or whether, either will be able to return to the Capitol.

An early test could come next month, when health care legislation reaches the Senate floor. Democrats have been seeking agreement on a bipartisan plan with a handful of Republicans. But if those talks falter, they and the White House may end up in a situation where 60 votes would be needed to advance one of the administration's highest priorities.

In the months since Election Day, both Franken and Coleman kept low profiles. After Coleman's term expired in January, he took a job as a consultant and strategic adviser to the Republican Jewish Coalition, a group that advocates in Washington on Jewish issues.

Steps to ensure a quick transition
Franken has taken some steps to ensure a quick transition, appointing a staff in waiting that includes communications staffers, a chief of staff and a state director. He said Tuesday he had been told his assignments would include the Judiciary Committee, a role that would put him immediately in the thick of confirmation hearings over Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar said Franken told her Tuesday he's "ready to get started immediately." The Democrat said Franken is expected to immediately dive into the health care debate.

"This victory was hard earned for Al Franken and his family," she said. "Franni Franken had a suitcase packed, ready to go to Washington at a moment's notice, like you do when you're waiting to have a baby. She had a toothbrush, clothes, all of that, ready to go."

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

ULTRAMAN VH
07-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Well, King Obama now has a court Jester to provide comedy relief during those long legislative sessions. :lmao:

Seshmeister
07-01-2009, 06:26 AM
He can't be any worse than that pointless brainless cunt Coleman, I wouldn't have him as town dog catcher...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R31WCX_YoDE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R31WCX_YoDE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
ULTRADOUCHE VH, why do you hate America?

And yeah, Coleman was nothing but a blundering dipshit when Galloway laid the stick of owning to his thick skull...

letsrock
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
My guess is that he doesnt hate America, but what it has not become.
Where is the "for the people, by the people"?
And no voting has nothing to do with that.

They are elected to do a job, but that vision was lost long ago.

FORD
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
There's been an empty headed used car salesman in that seat since the BCE murdered Paul Wellstone, and literally an empty seat since November, due to this ridiculous legal battle, so Franken has to be an improvement over that.

He'll never be as good as Wellstone though... at least not judging by the DLC/AIPAC mouthpiece that he was on his radio show. But the best thing about having Franken in the Senate is how it pisses off Mush Limpdick, Bill O'Reilly, and other right wingers like Ultravag. :biggrin:

FORD
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
And as for the "magical number 60" in the Senate.....

All that means is that Spineless Harry Reid has run out of excuses not to do his fucking job. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the DLC/BlueBalled cowards (the Evan Bayh/Max Baucus wing of the Senate) are going to do theirs :(

GAR
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd fuckin LMAO if Kennedy didn't make it back to Congress.

Scratch! Dems=59

That asshole Byrd, any day now going pnuemonia.. SCRATCH!

Condemnocrats=58

FORD
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
It's true that both Teddy and Byrd are likely to pass away within the next year or so, but Teddy would be replaced by another MA Democrat, possibly even another Kennedy, so nothing much will change there. I'm more worried about the WV seat, because while Byrd was hardly a Liberal, he stood up for the constitution and against the BCE many times in recent years. And given the trend of fake "democrats" winning seats in Southern states lately, his replacement will likely be a downgrade.

Seshmeister
07-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I hear that even Ted Kennedy's 'universal' healthcare plan doesn't cover about 30 million people.

Maybe you need some new blood...

Nickdfresh
07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd fuckin LMAO if Kennedy didn't make it back to Congress.

Scratch! Dems=59

That asshole Byrd, any day now going pnuemonia.. SCRATCH!

Condemnocrats=58

They'll just elect another Kennedy, oh flaming bag of douche...

FORD
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I hear that even Ted Kennedy's 'universal' healthcare plan doesn't cover about 30 million people.

Probably because it's the "Teddy Kennedy Bill" in name only. Chris Dodd had a lot more to do with it than Teddy did (due to his own cancer battle) and Dodd's wife is on the board of an insurance corporate vampire (as is about half of fucking Connecticut)

LoungeMachine
07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Gee, another UltraFAG cunt-n-paste job where HE can't even conjure up a thought of his own.....

:lmao:

Self-ownage even GayDar has to be jealous of.....

ULTRAMAN VH
07-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Gee, another UltraFAG cunt-n-paste job where HE can't even conjure up a thought of his own.....

:lmao:

Self-ownage even GayDar has to be jealous of.....

I see your still a jizz receptacle.:splooge:

letsrock
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I was under the impression that all of DC is empty suits.
Heck even Clinton would empty his suit on an intern.

GAR
07-02-2009, 06:17 PM

George Bush could still serve as a senator! There ya go..

GAR
07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I was under the impression that all of DC is empty suits.
Heck even Clinton would empty his suit on an intern.

There are a few in each party who really give a shit about anything, and they still get twisted by party lines so who can you trust for non-marginalized legislation anymore?

Nobody!

Nickdfresh
07-02-2009, 06:30 PM
There are a few in each party who really give a shit about anything, and they still get twisted by party lines so who can you trust for non-marginalized legislation anymore?

Nobody!

But you still suck their dick if they're white, male, and have an "R" next to their name...

GAR
07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
The R's were supposed to be the "good cop" to the D's "bad cop" behaviours, currently that setup hasn't worked for 15 years and Ive never been reg'd with either.

Unlike you, D-blower up the A-lower..

Nickdfresh
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
The R's were supposed to be the "good cop" to the D's "bad cop" behaviours, currently that setup hasn't worked for 15 years and Ive never been reg'd with either.

Unlike you, D-blower up the A-lower..

LOL You couldn't get off Arnold's cock when he was running, fuckstump...

And since kid-diddling felons can't vote, I'm not surprised that you don't bother to register (other than with your parole officer)...