PDA

View Full Version : Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

standin
07-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer Robert Imrie, Associated Press Writer – Fri Jul 10, 2:44 pm ET
WAUSAU, Wis. – An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it — an Iraq war veteran — claims the officers trespassed and stole his property.

A day after the parade, police returned the flag and the man's protest — over a liquor license — continued.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin is considering legal action against the village of Crivitz for violating Vito Congine Jr.'s' First Amendment rights, Executive Director Chris Ahmuty said.

"It is not often that you see something this blatant," Ahmuty said.

In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay.

He said his distress is likely bankruptcy because the village board refused to grant him a liquor license after he spent nearly $200,000 to buy and remodel a downtown building for an Italian supper club.

Congine's upside-down-flag represents distress to him; to others in town, it represents disrespect of the flag.

Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief.

"I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business.'"

The next day, police returned the flag.

Brey declined comment Friday.

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.

"It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

The parade went on without any problems, Kanikula said.

Village President John Deschane, 60, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam, said many people in town believe it's disrespectful to fly the flag upside down.

"If he wants to protest, let him protest but find a different way to do it," Deschane said.

Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down.

"It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."
Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090710/ap_on_re_us/us_upside_down_flag)

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090710/capt.30ca1e13d4f0435b8936e254d5c8da62.addition_ups ide_down_flag_ny107.jpg
This photo provided by Susan Willems taken July 5, 2009 shows an American flag being flown upside down, a day after it was removed by local police, in Wausau, Wis. The flag being flown upside down as a protest in a small northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade. The businessman flying the flag claims police trespassed and stole his property.
(AP Photo/Susan Willems)

I think that is an acceptable way to protest and the PD was out of line.

letsrock
07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Lawsuit will be coming soon.
And there is a meaning of what it is to fly the flag upside down.

letsrock
07-11-2009, 06:20 PM
"The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property,"

standin
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Wow! you showed you did not read the article~ Incredible boorish behavior skills~ Bravo, Mon, Bravo~

standin
07-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Actually, I am surprised that in these financially distressed times that more economically distressed persons have not used this to protest the finical corruption and breakdown of America's financial intergrity...

standin
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
but really is ANY protest politically correct?

It was the PD removing his flag, with not going through the proper legal channels, the sensible way.

And yes, a law suit should entail and the town be reviewed for corruption and intimidation behavior patterns