PDA

View Full Version : The shattered teleprompter

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 02:36 AM
July 13, 2009 (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/07/if-a-teleprompter-falls-in-the-white-house-does-it-make-a-sound.html)

If a Teleprompter Falls in the White House Does It Make a Sound?

Yes, especially when it’s the President’s teleprompter – or TOTUS as it is often referred to.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090713/capt.08ea5394bcb14bd39ef0b777c84ea401.obama_dcab11 1.jpg?x=400&y=253&q=85&sig=zW5_b.b11mt_4.3nwh_dbA--

Midway through his speech on urban and metropolitan policy in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building this afternoon, one of his two small glass prompters came crashing down, hitting the wood floor and crashing in many pieces. It made quite a ruckus.

“Oh, goodness,” a startled President Obama said. “Sorry about that, guys.”

He then proceeded on with his remarks, “To pull our economy back from the brink, including the largest and most sweeping economic recovery plan in our nation's history…”

For the rest of the speech the president relied on the one remaining teleprompter, to his right, and notes on his podium to finish his speech.

Shards of glass remained near the president’s feet for the duration of his speech.

The President’s fandom for his nearly omnipresent prompter has become something of a joke, even to him. In May at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner the President poked fun at himself, declaring that he wanted to “speak from the heart” and “off the cuff.”

Two large teleprompters then rose, with a big smile from the President, and laughs from the White House press corps.

Prompter problems also recently plagued Vice President Joe Biden as well. During a commencement address in May to graduates of the Air Force Academy, a gust of wind knocked over his teleprompter.

The VP took the opportunity to crack a joke at his boss’s expense.

“What am I going to tell the president when I tell him his teleprompter is broken?” Biden joked, “What will he do then?”

Of course, television reporters and anchors never become over-reliant on teleprompters. Never happens. Nope. Never.

:elvis:

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jt5dY3vVoZ0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jt5dY3vVoZ0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

:biggrin:

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
What a fool...

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDJSVPAx8xc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDJSVPAx8xc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 03:13 AM
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GeJsyoKIabY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GeJsyoKIabY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

:biggrin:

hideyoursheep
07-14-2009, 05:47 AM
You didn't think I was gonna let you have all the fun by yourself, did you ELVIS?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DEbZqvMu2cQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DEbZqvMu2cQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If there is a such thing as a "coke stutter", this muthafukah blew his goddam brains OUT!

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Bush was more entertaining...:biggrin:

hideyoursheep
07-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Bush was more entertaining...:biggrin:

No one can "freestyle" quite like W.

Thank God.

:D

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Obama freezes up while Bush just went with it...:biggrin:

sadaist
07-14-2009, 07:40 AM
No one can "freestyle" quite like W.

David Lee Roth?

bueno bob
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Obama freezes up while Bush just went with it...:biggrin:

Well, Bush just "went with" a lot of things, too...a whole lot of which are criminal if you ask me...

I have to say that I don't mind Obama reading from a teleprompter one bit. After eight years of slapping my forehead in frustration as George made himself look like an undereducated, borderline illiterate asshole every time he opened his mouth, having a President who can speak cleanly, clearly and articulately is a big boon. Honestly, I could care less if he got up on stage with a college ruled notebook and read out of that.

hideyoursheep
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, Bush just "went with" a lot of things, too...a whole lot of which are criminal if you ask me...

I have to say that I don't mind Obama reading from a teleprompter one bit. After eight years of slapping my forehead in frustration as George made himself look like an undereducated, borderline illiterate asshole every time he opened his mouth, having a President who can speak cleanly, clearly and articulately is a big boon. Honestly, I could care less if he got up on stage with a college ruled notebook and read out of that.

Yeah, it is a bit more persuasive when you have a literate figure in charge of your cuntry.:hee:

ELVIS
07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
How is Obama persuasive when he's doing everything Bush did plus more...

Now, i'm not totally against some kind of healthcare reform, but now is NOT the time...mainly because of the hijacked economy...

If they want to do something like this right ( and I really don't think they do), they need to take their time, debate it and consult many experts in all aspects of the healthcare and insurance fields. But Peloser adamantly wants it passed before the August recess, and i'm sure were gonna heare some fear mongering, major disaster predictions in order to falsy intensify the urgency of doing it NOW...They want to control us!

Does ANYONE here agree with me ??

standin
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
No, don't think so Elvis.
without health care the small business will continue to go the way side and larger one's will continue to have their general population employees go without (and the kids on state funds) or so over priced it becomes a luxury.

A significant number of bankruptcies and insolvencies are due to health care costs. And once you get diagnosed with a difficult medical condition it only goes down hill from there.

Nickdfresh
07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh look, Elvis is still trying to peddle the myth that only Obama uses teleprompters despite the fact that every US president has used them since Ike...

hideyoursheep
07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh look, Elvis is still trying to peddle the myth that only Obama uses teleprompters despite the fact that every US president has used them since Ike...

I think one of the Republican bullet points must be to exaggerate the use of telepromters by Obama.

I think they're all pissy because he can actually read from it.

Dubyah could have had telepromters installed into his goddamed contact lenses, and he still would have uh.....he ...well...he could..ehh......well, you get the point.;)

bueno bob
07-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah, it is a bit more persuasive when you have a literate figure in charge of your cuntry.:hee:

Oh shut the fuck up.

sadaist
07-15-2009, 08:18 AM
How is Obama persuasive when he's doing everything Bush did plus more...

Now, i'm not totally against some kind of healthcare reform, but now is NOT the time...mainly because of the hijacked economy...

If they want to do something like this right ( and I really don't think they do), they need to take their time, debate it and consult many experts in all aspects of the healthcare and insurance fields. But Peloser adamantly wants it passed before the August recess, and i'm sure were gonna heare some fear mongering, major disaster predictions in order to falsy intensify the urgency of doing it NOW...They want to control us!

Does ANYONE here agree with me ??

I personally don't want the government involved with health care. If anyone can name one thing other than the military that has benefited from govt. involvement, I'd love to hear it. Just look at the economy. The more they dive in to save it, the worse it gets. Thank God for the "only man who can do the job" Timothy Giethner.

Nickdfresh
07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I personally don't want the government involved with health care. If anyone can name one thing other than the military that has benefited from govt. involvement, I'd love to hear it. Just look at the economy. The more they dive in to save it, the worse it gets. Thank God for the "only man who can do the job" Timothy Giethner.

Um, you're high...

The military is a massively bloated pork project that has official approval and sanction of both parties. And the economy went to shit because the gov't wasn't fucking regulating it and was not arresting people for what were blatantly obvious Ponzi schemes..

sadaist
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Um, you're high...

The military is a massively bloated pork project that has official approval and sanction of both parties. And the economy went to shit because the gov't wasn't fucking regulating it and was not arresting people for what were blatantly obvious Ponzi schemes..

I was trying to think of anything that the govt. runs that is any good. Granted the military has some very fucked up aspects, but I can't really bag too hard on the same services that have provided my very freedom to say this. My point is that the govt can't run anything well. I was just giving benefit of any doubt to the armed forces & showing respect for them.

Dolemite!
07-15-2009, 06:22 PM
In one of those vids atleast O'bubba completely stumbled when the prompter broke, he looked helpless like he couldn't think of anything to say on topic. Even if you're reading of a prompter if you're delivering a speech your mind would have to be somewhere on the subject. I thought it was only an aid much like having notes, not an excuse for a president to switch his mind off. Since it's a given that he has a handler, Brzenzski in his case, and his prompter in most speeches, it's worth asking if he like Bush has any real original thoughts of his own. Because any idiot who doesn't suffer from dyslexia can read off a screen. Aren't there easily ten other people within that same room who is as capable of doing his task whatever that is. I think Bush must have set some kind of standard... there's no need for a sock puppet to have any leadership skills. Just the right image... Obama being the right image solution to Bush's villian.