PDA

View Full Version : Yngwie at Namn 2009

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KkuDSM9OyCs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KkuDSM9OyCs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 06:36 AM
He seems to have picked up that lick I showed him.

No wonder you like him so much he's metamorphosing into Vegas Elvis like some sort of reverse moth. :)

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Who is that on the cover of his new album? :)

hideyoursheep
07-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Has he ever played anything besides a Scallopcaster?

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah, a Flying V...and he's recorded rhythm on some albums with Les Pauls...

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
That vintage modern marshall he's playing on sure sounds good...

sadaist
07-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Who is that on the cover of his new album? :)

Ted Nugent.

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/yngwie-perpetual-flame.jpg

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd love to see the unphotoshoped version of that pic. :D

sadaist
07-23-2009, 09:14 AM

Here ya go...

http://www.swollenpickles.com/wp-content/uploads/elvis_toe.jpg

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
He seems to have picked up that lick I showed him.

You mean licking vodka off of the carpet? Yngwie quit drunking years ago...;)

No wonder you like him so much he's metamorphosing into Vegas Elvis like some sort of reverse moth. :)

Ha! I thought he resembled Paul Mccartney in his younger days, but you have a valid point. I wonder when he will try the jewled jumpsuits...:biggrin:

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 09:24 AM
That's a Jap Yngwie Strat in that pic, BTW...

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Here ya go...

Ooof! :)

sadaist
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Regardless of how he acts or looks, dude can play mother fucking amazingly fast & accurate. Mind boggling to watch. He just lacks that soul to write groovin' tunes.

Panamark
07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
He hasnt lost a beat !

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
He hasnt lost a beat !

That's what i'm talking about...

he's 46 years old and can still play his ass off...

Compare that to Edward or nearly anyone else in the rock world...

His first album was just voted number one rock guitar album of all time and he was only 21 when he recorded it...

There are faster players and innovative people, but without Yngwie, none of them would exist...

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
And nobody besides Van Halen can play Van Halen like Yngwie...He's a true fan!

I once read when Yngwie heard Van Halen II he wanted to throw his guitar away...

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I have that tribute album somewhere.

The thing that struck me on every song was that Roth was completely irreplaceable.

indeedido
07-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Look at those mutton chops!

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
The thing that struck me on every song was that Roth was completely irreplaceable.

yeah!

Several songs would have been great with dave, although Jeff Scott Soto did a good job...

binnie
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
"Hey Mom! Watch THIS!"

WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Lets see your silly ass do it...

binnie
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I'll make a deal: I'll learn to do it if Yngwie can got one whole week without saying something big-headed.

:D

letsrock
07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Has he ever worn anything besides black clothing?

Anonymous
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Let's take a step back from Yngwie's personality and look at the man as simply - if it can be termed that way - as a guitar player.

He's the only guy I'd pay to watch him "masturbate", just like he did in that video.

I really don't get the people who say Yngwie has "ho feeling", that he's a "one-trick pony", or that he "can't write a song".

Well, it may be that everyone's ears are functioning properly, and mine aren't.

But to me, Yngwie CAN write a good song, Fire & Ice has plenty of good songs, for example, even if the lyrics are silly. His first album is crammed with good stuff, and even if they're mostly instrumental, it's something you can actually listen to, not just some wank-fest like other so-called "great-guitarists". But let's not talk about those. Today it's all about Yngwie.

As for the feel... well, if you don't "get" what he's doing, you can't "feel" it.

He's the only one, in my opinion who successfully understood & mixed good ol' blues & classical, so that only at times you can tell which he is playing, while most of the times, they're so mixed up you can't tell them apart. A lot of people have done this, with better or worse results, but none like Yngwie. He knows and understands the roots of both styles of music he plays, and expanded from there.

Forgive me, I can't really make it any clearer as I am not a musician, so I must use words to describe music.

And for those who say "well, yeah, he can play fast and that's it", go to 4:02, where he holds that note perfectly, for the exact amount of time for you to know what he's doing, and how he goes on from there.

Once again, I must use words to describe what can't really be described.

But really, strip all your pre-conceptions about music and just LISTEN to the man playing.

So what if he's a shitty person? What's Eddie V., then? And what was Wagner?

All shitty persons. All grate artists.

Rock on, Yngwie. You may be a conceited little fuck, but noone can reach your fucking heels, you fat Viking, you.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
And miracle of miracles, he's not ALWAYS a shithead. Listen to him talk here, and tell me he doesn't make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJRoBrBLkc&feature=fvw]YNGWIE MALMSTEEN GIVES THUMBS UP TO GUITAR HERO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJRoBrBLkc&feature=fvw)

Well, if he says it's alright, I won't feel guilty palying GH: VH, then. I can always say "Hey, Yngwie says it's kewl, so there". And my friends can't make fun of me for making fuin of them & now turning the tables like that.

Anonymous
07-23-2009, 01:45 PM

I once read when Yngwie heard Van Halen II he wanted to throw his guitar away...

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Not true Elvis, not true. Criss Oliva was at least as good as ol' Eddie V.

Check it out, and keep in mind he was VERY young at the time, they weren't even Savatage yet, and he only got better & better. He died way too early.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DPH1Mxe6LY&hl=pt-br&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DPH1Mxe6LY&hl=pt-br&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Criss, my man... only the good die young & mostly unnoticed.

ELVIS
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Good posts pus...

I met Yngwie and I can tell you he is as nice and cool as can be. He's just a perfectionist...

sadaist
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Ah, maybe I just haven't heard enough of his stuff then. I've owned 1 or 2 albums back in the 80's and everything I've ever seen him do was just play incredibly fast, ripping stuff. Excellent as hell, but just not my thing. I'm more into the slower, crunchier, melodic rhythm stuffies. But that's the great thing about music, it's all subjective. So many different flavors for different folks, moods, times. Otherwise there would be one band that played one song, and everyone in the world would just listen to that over & over.

I saw him live once around 1986. But to be honest, I mainly went because the opening band was Saxon. Whatever tour "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget" was big.

sadaist
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I have that tribute album somewhere.

Hmmm....Michael Anthony as well. Although not nearly as much as Dave. You can't change Grandmas cookie recipe and expect them to taste the same.

Anonymous
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm more into the slower, crunchier, melodic rhythm stuffies. But that's the great thing about music, it's all subjective. So many different flavors for different folks, moods, times.

Well, that's exactly it, Said. Of course, you can't be FORCED to like what the guy - or anyone else, for that matter - plays, you either like it or don't.

However, doing what some people do and just disregard him as a mere wanker, well, that's just plain ridiculous.

Credit where credit is due, and Yngwie may very well be the most complete guitar player alive today. Like it or not. Bad temper or not.

I don't like a lot of bands that are actually quite good. And I know they are, I just don't like them.

Chickenfoot, for example. :tongue0011:

bueno bob
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Best two guitarists I've ever heard cover Eddie are Yngwie and Criss Oliva.

Also, Yngwie used Kramers for Steeler and Alcatrazz, if memory serves...I think somebody asked that earlier...

jhale667
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Best two guitarists I've ever heard cover Eddie are Yngwie and Criss Oliva.

Also, Yngwie used Kramers for Steeler and Alcatrazz, if memory serves...I think somebody asked that earlier...

Never heard that...and every bit of promotional material I've ever seen of him even back then showed him with Strats...

Diamondjimi
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
He hasnt lost a beat !

True. Even after he almost killed himself in a car accident (back in the 80's) he worked his ass off and got back on top of his game...

There are faster players and innovative people, but without Yngwie, none of them would exist...

Yup. Many immitators ,zero replicators.
Ed inspired the hammer-on tap generation and Yngwie is responsible for the neo-classical generation of wanking.

True, he kicks ass on this cover. Stellar lineup. Some people were all "waa waa" about Doug Pinnick's take on the vocals. Fuck 'em, I thought he did a great job.He stuck to his own style and "interpreted" the vocals in his own style. It's a killer version, that's why I put the vid. together and posted it...:D

I'll make a deal: I'll learn to do it if Yngwie can got one whole week without saying something big-headed.

:D
My favourite Yngwie quote comes from a mid 90's interview. He was asked about what he thought of Pearl Jam.
His answer?: " I think the singer should eat some Pearl Jam. And the guitar players pale attempt at copping Jimi Hendrix's licks are absolutely pathetic!"

I couldn't agree more..

Good posts pus...

I met Yngwie and I can tell you he is as nice and cool as can be. He's just a perfectionist...

Very true, he is a very cool shit. Everything that comes out of his mouth is pure entertainment...:biggrin:

Never heard that...and every bit of promotional material I've ever seen of him even back then showed him with Strats...

I do recall a promo of him from the Alcatrazz days endorsing Aria Pro guitars...
I think he only did it beacause the band had an endorsment deal... ;)

Seshmeister
07-23-2009, 09:50 PM
My favourite Yngwie quote comes from a mid 90's interview. He was asked about what he thought of Pearl Jam.
His answer?: " I think the singer should eat some Pearl Jam. And the guitar players pale attempt at copping Jimi Hendrix's licks are absolutely pathetic!"

Mine is "You have unleashed the fucking fury!"

Here's the link. :)
http://www.blabbermouth.net/yngwie_tokyo_flight.mp3

Diamondjimi
07-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Mine is "You have unleashed the fucking fury!"

Classic!:biggrin:

bueno bob
07-24-2009, 01:17 AM

I'd have to bust out the liner notes for the old CDs and check; I seem to remember Kramer being mentioned under the gear used, but I can't be absolutely certain.

Pretty sure, though. Might be worth a look, I'll get back to you...

bueno bob
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
His wiki entry has it as thus...

"Malmsteen uses Fender Stratocasters, especially vintage instruments from 1968 through 1972. His Strats tend to feature scalloped fingerboards and DiMarzio YJM and HS-3 pickups. In the 1980s Malmsteen briefly used Schecter Guitars, who built him Stratocaster-style guitars similar to his Fenders.

For his acoustic sets, Malmsteen uses a nylon strung electro-acoustic black or white Ovation Viper. Prior to the Ovations, Malmsteen used Aria, Alvarez and Gibson classical acoustics on stage. Malmsteen regularly performs onstage with a Dean Markley custom light top, heavy bottom string gauge ranging from .008 through .048 gauge. Malmsteen's picks are Jim Dunlop 1.5 white.

Malmsteen uses vintage Marshall amplifiers (esp. 1972 Marshall MK II 50-watt heads) for his live performances, connected to vintage 4x12 cabinets with Celestion G12T-75 (75 watt) speakers. His effect pedals include a Dunlop Cry Baby, DOD YJM308 Overdrive Preamp, BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor, BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus, BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter, and Roland DC-10 Echo.[7]"

GAR
07-24-2009, 03:58 AM

No you wouldn't. Nobody would want to see that.

Panamark
07-24-2009, 09:34 AM
"Hey Mom! Watch THIS!"

WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDD LEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE WIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWI DDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLEWIDDLE

Did Mom like it ?

ELVIS
07-25-2009, 06:57 PM
The white flying V he used in Alctrazz is an Aria...and i've heard him say he's used Gibsons occasionally for some heavy rhythm stuff and different textures on later albums...

bueno bob
07-27-2009, 02:11 AM
You know, maybe it was Aria I was thinking of and not Kramer...?

Elvis, did you pick up Angels of Love yet? If you haven't, DO...most enjoyable listen out of Yngwie I've heard in quite some time...

ELVIS
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
No, but I will...

As big as a fan I am, many of his songs bore me to death...

Like I said before. If Yngwie had left the filler out and made albums of only his best material, he would be light years ahead in popularity...

He's a victim of releasing way too much information...

Fuct Jup
08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm a big Yngwie fan, I learned the entire Rising force album (almost) note for note when I was in my 20's. Love that album (still have it on vinyl).

I saw Yngwie open for AC/DC back in the 80's, he played Eruption in the middle of his set. He nailed it, but lacked some of EVH's feel.

I agree with others on this thread, YM is a Great guitarist, but lacks in versatility, most of his stuff sounds the same and or has too much going on for most people to enjoy.