PDA

View Full Version : For English, please press '1'

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 10:50 AM
For English, please press '1'
Michelle Malkin

http://www.townhall.com/graphics1/columnists/malkin.gif

Two politicians in Maryland are now in trouble for stating the obvious: People who work in customer service should speak English. And out-of-control multiculturalism is to blame for the failure to preserve America's common language.

The professional victims are up in arms as usual -- demanding apologies, whining to the press and clamoring for government subsidies to nurse their hurt feelings. But for once, the truth-tellers refuse to back down. They are role models for the rest of the nation's spine-deprived public officials.

It all started a few weeks ago when former Gov. William Donald Schaefer walked into a McDonald's restaurant he had frequented regularly for years. Schaefer, a Democrat who now works as comptroller under Republican Gov. Robert Ehrlich, ordered the same thing every morning: hot tea and a biscuit. After encountering difficulty with a newly hired worker with poor English skills, he quit going to the restaurant out of frustration. "I don't want to adjust to another language," he declared publicly. "This is the United States. I think they should adjust to us."

Who hasn't had an exasperating experience like Schaefer's? In my neighborhood, I've run into English-challenged McDonald's workers who can barely muster a "Hi," a "Welcome" or even a grunt acknowledging my existence while they fiddle with their dumbed-down cash registers. I expect my order to be wrong when I pick it up at the drive-through window, and I never bother going back to get it fixed.

At a Michael's craft store last week, I asked an employee (loitering listlessly in the scrapbooking aisle) where the fabrics were. "Fah-brics?" I repeated slowly and gestured fruitlessly, drawing a rectangle in the air with my index fingers. She shook her head in horror and mumbled: "No understand." Oh, silly me.

At my local Wal-Mart, nationwide employer of workers of dubious immigration status, I listened as a checkout lady from Africa blabbed endlessly in her native language to two visitors hanging out by her station. She didn't bother greeting me or looking at me. When I asked for a bag of items that she had forgotten to put in my cart, she ignored me. "Pardon me, can I have my bag?" I asked. "WAH?!" she finally said with a snarl, offended that I had interrupted her conversation.

Whatever happened to "Thank you, please come again"?

Asked about Schaefer's commentary, and what an arctic blast of fresh air it was, Gov. Ehrlich provided full-throated support. "I reject the idea of multiculturalism," Ehrlich told WBAL host Ron Smith. "Once you get into this multicultural crap, this bunk that some folks are teaching in our college campuses and other places, you run into a problem. With respect to this culture, English is the language."

And it is under increasing assault. In the classroom. At the ATM machine. And on the phone (pet peeve: "For English, please press '1'"). The difference between past and present immigration experience is the existence of a defiant anti-assimilationist lobby that encourages legal and illegal aliens to resist adapting to the American way of life.

Look at our voting booths, where local and state election officials across the country are being forced to provide foreign-language ballots, bilingual poll workers and voting materials to non-English-speaking people. In March, the Bush administration ordered Harris County, Texas, to provide all voter registration and election information and supplies, including the voting machine ballot, in Vietnamese as well as English and Spanish. So absurd is the drive to protect the rights of "minority-language citizens" that the little town of Briny Breezes, Fla., was required to publish election notices in Spanish -- even though everyone there speaks English.

The language-Balkanizers naturally attack their opponents as racists and immigrant-haters. Jorge Ribas, a Hispanic activist, likened Gov. Ehrlich to Adolf Hitler and Gov. George Wallace. Most politicians would crumple in fear and start singing "Kumbaya." But both Ehrlich and Schaefer have refused to retract their remarks. Befuddled professors and reporters view the controversy as some kind of calculated political maneuver by Ehrlich, instead of a rare outbreak of common sense.

We could use more of it. Plainspoken English is an effective antidote to muddled multiculturalism.

FORD
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I find it amazing that the right wing talking heads can sink to the level of hypocrisy where the daughter of Filipino immigrants is one of the most racist xenophobic airheads on the planet.

If immigrants suck so goddamn much, then why don't you and your parents go home? You WON'T be missed :mad:

WACF
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I don't have a problem with multiculturism...but....

I have had to pleasure of phoning my mortgage company's help line and also my banks help line and I tell you....it was a very painful experience.

It made buying a new house very frustrating.

How many times should have to get the customer service person to repeat themselves...before it becomes unacceptable?
The guy at the mortage company got frustrated with me and asked what i was not understanding about getting out of my mortage and getting another.

I finally told him I could not understand what he was saying because of his accent.
He then went on about his family and right to work...I told him I only wanted to know exactly what my penalty would be...I don't care where he was born or what he does for a living....just give me my information!
I got transfered...to another service person...this time female...with same accent....

The same thing happened at my bank when I phoned to change credit cards...i think they do it on purpose so you don't phone!

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I find it amazing that the right wing talking heads can sink to the level of hypocrisy where the daughter of Filipino immigrants is one of the most racist xenophobic airheads on the planet.

If immigrants suck so goddamn much, then why don't you and your parents go home? You WON'T be missed :mad:

But why is it that back in the day my grandmother had to learn english in order to live and function here, but nowadays the immigrants coming in don't need to bother?

FORD
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Maybe a better question is why didn't the immigrants who came here in the 1600's didn't learn how to speak Cherokee, or Algonquin, or Choctaw, or whatever the local language was in their particular colony.

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Dude, see, you should be all for this. Why? Because those who spoke Cherokee, or Algonquin, or Choctaw were immigrants to this land too. And see what the new immigrants who came did? Don't want history to repeat itself, do we? Shouldn't we learn from the past?

:D

FORD
05-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Dude, see, you should be all for this. Why? Because those who spoke Cherokee, or Algonquin, or Choctaw were immigrants to this land too. And see what the new immigrants who came did? Don't want history to repeat itself, do we? Shouldn't we learn from the past?

:D

Well, if they were "immigrants", then they were the first ones here, and since they don't speak any of the several Chinese dialects, or any other Asian language, then its logical that they are speaking their own languages, whether or not they "walked over on an ancient Bering Strait land bridge" - which is questionable anyway.

I have no problems with immigrants learning whatever language they want to learn. or non immigrants for that matter. I just have a problem with the arrogant assumption that one language and/or "culture" thinks itself inherently superior to all others on the planet. Especially when it happens to be the one that has done the most damage to the planet.

WACF
05-27-2004, 03:06 PM
If you moved to China would it not be in your best interest to learn Chinese??

It would not be necessary but it would make life alot easier.

That is the point I am seeing....

I have French Canadian relatives I have never spoken too...cause they chose not to learn or speak english.
That is their choice....no real loss....and they get by just fine.
I am sure they miss out though...when you travel out of Quebec it must be like a different country to them.

Ally_Kat
05-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, if they were "immigrants", then they were the first ones here, and since they don't speak any of the several Chinese dialects, or any other Asian language, then its logical that they are speaking their own languages, whether or not they "walked over on an ancient Bering Strait land bridge" - which is questionable anyway.

I have no problems with immigrants learning whatever language they want to learn. or non immigrants for that matter. I just have a problem with the arrogant assumption that one language and/or "culture" thinks itself inherently superior to all others on the planet. Especially when it happens to be the one that has done the most damage to the planet.

Yeah hun, but in order to be productive you have to be able to understand each other. I hate to throw religion into this, but I know you'll get the reference. It's like the Tower of Babel. God threw in the different languages so that they couldn't continuing building. Ya got one nation and we're an immigrant nation. But, if we have all these languages and no common way to understand each other, eventualy we'll go the way of the Tower of Babel...in a weird reference way.

I'm all for the American Dream and people trying to have a better life here. My mother's side of the family has come a long ways from Austria-Hungary. It's the part where I stop at the store by the train station to get something to drink and the guy behind the counter tells me how much I owe him in spanish. Or the other store where I need to know Vietnamese if I want to get something. And I'm not talking about shopping in Chinatown were such things are expected. No, I'm talking random places around and if you go 'excuse me, how much?' because you don't understand the language, you get a dirty look as if you called them some racist nickname.

FORD
05-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by WACF
If you moved to China would it not be in your best interest to learn Chinese??

But which dialect of Chinese? There are Chinese people who can't talk to each other, because the dialects are so different (Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.)

Just for an example, the governor of this state is the American born son of Chinese immigrants. So is his wife. But the families are from different parts of China, so they wouldn't be able to communicate with each other in "Chinese"

I have French Canadian relatives I have never spoken too...cause they chose not to learn or speak english.
That is their choice....no real loss....and they get by just fine.
I am sure they miss out though...when you travel out of Quebec it must be like a different country to them.

But at least they can read signs, labels, etc in French, and probably find French language TV and radio stations all across Canada, so they shouldn't feel completely lost.

Viking
05-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Get the fuck out of my country.