PDA

View Full Version : Aerosmith Concert Review

OldNo.7
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Tulsa July 30th BOK Center

What a show. I don’t remember the entire set list but it was different than the ones listed on the net. Eat the Rich was the opening tune. They played a ton of great old songs which made me really happy. Classics like Dream On, Walkin The Dog, Dream On, Sweet Emotion, Walk this Way was awesome.

Perry did a song he said was new. Tyler stepped of the stage for it. It was an ok song and it was cool to see Perry on his own. I was a fan of the solo stuff he did known as the Joe Perry Project for any dumbasses reading this. They did a Fleetwood Mac song also. “Stop Messin Around” I think it was. It was kick ass.
Hamilton was the only original guy not there as we all know. Kinda of bummer but not a real issue for me. In hind sight it was more laid back than I thought it would have been. But then again they are old. You could tell the non hard core rock fans because they would sit down on some of the real old shit off Rocks. I was looking around like Whiskey Tango FoxTrot!!!

The stage was kickass I mean one of the best light shows I have ever seen, in fact one of the best shows I have ever seen. I was really pumped about this one because I never got to see them back in the late 70’s early 80’s. One of the few bands that I wanted to see but never did. I think I am glad I saw them late because they were just spot on as a band. Some of my friends saw them back in the day and said the shows sucked. Obviously because the band was trashed most of the time as we all know. I am sure there were some vocal help being piped in spots but Tyler sounded great. Perry was awesome as well. The whole band was just super. The sound was exceptional. As I thought about that is was almost not loud enough. It’s not like the old days when bands were so loud that you could barely make out some of the songs. In this show the sound could have been a bit louder than it was. I saw AC/DC in the same venue and that shit was loud but you could still hear all the parts of the band real well.

All in all I would rate this show a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 mainly because it was just short. I mean they played for maybe an hour and a half. I doubt any of them broke a sweat. For as much as tickets cost for this they could have done better. When it was over I was like ,” Are they done?”. But hey I can say I have seen the Aerosmith and I am happy about that.

The Elfoid_TFS
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Man, an hour and a half set is standard here in the UK. Normally a little bit longer - like 1 hour and 40 or 45. Two hours if you're lucky, but none of us complain if we get 90 minutes at all, it's something you get quite commonly.

I wonder why it is bands tend to play for longer in the USA/Canada? Your tickets cost a lot more I think, so that's probably why. The whole system's different, like how most of you guys seem to buy seats and I have once sat down at a gig (The Australian Pink Floyd Show in 2007). Could someone give me an idea of how big the standing area is at your gigs? Is it that tiny/expensive?

OldNo.7
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
BOK Center (http://www.bokcenter.com/index.asp)

New state of the art facility. Expensive as hell to go to a show. Not just tickets but booze, food. It's all expensive.

Have to ask Walker about MSG. It's bigger I think. I guess an hour and half is ok for a show. This show just seamed short to me.

OldNo.7
07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
BOK Center (http://www.bokcenter.com/general.asp?id=120&siteuse=)

19,199 seats. 565000 sgt ft. fookin place is kickass.

The Elfoid_TFS
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Over here it's £55-65 for a stadium show, £35-55 for an arena show, £20-35 for a hall/pavilion/theatre and anything below that you're talking £10-25. If it's a little club/bar that only gets 15-150 people in it it's often free or costs a few pounds. That's all standing prices, with access to the front row if you get there early.

I think £62.50 for AC/DC @ Wembley Stadium's my highest gig price ever. In terms of ratio for size, it's 90k people can sit and 15k people will stand.

Beer costs £3.50-4.00 at these places unless it's a club/bar. Normal drinks prices in the UK - my region at least - it's £2.40-90 (£1.30+ if you go to a Weatherspoons, which I tend to).

Festivals are expensive here but you guys don't really have them so can't offer a comparison really. Download Festival 2009 (http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/lineup/index.aspx) for £170 is ridiculous value compared to what you guys seem to have to pay.

OldNo.7
07-31-2009, 02:51 PM
We pretty much get fucked. But what the hell.

David Lee Rocks
08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
i saw Aerosmith in Dallas two weeks ago and they were awesome!! I heard they did Lord of the Thighs in Tulsa, we didnt get that here, or Sweet Emotion, but we did get a 15 minute jam with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top for the song Rattlesnake Shake, thats one thing i love bout Aerosmith, they seem to mix it up a little in each city they play

binnie
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Never had the pleasure of seeing Aerosmith. They don't play here much, but I'd love to see 'em do some old stuff. Knowing my luck, they'd trot out all of the ballads....

Mr Walker
08-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Never had the pleasure of seeing Aerosmith. They don't play here much, but I'd love to see 'em do some old stuff. Knowing my luck, they'd trot out all of the ballads....

Unfortunately they do find a way of working them into the set.
I think the wheels are finally falling off.
Tyler has a bad leg and bad feet, Tom's got his problems, Brad has missed some shows.
Rumor has it that Joe Perry has been working on the side assembling a new version of the Joe Perry Project... I think he already has the album in the bag.
Might go see them in September if they can stay on the road... that would be Aerosmith show #4 for me.

David Lee Rocks
08-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately they do find a way of working them into the set.
I think the wheels are finally falling off.
Tyler has a bad leg and bad feet, Tom's got his problems, Brad has missed some shows.
Rumor has it that Joe Perry has been working on the side assembling a new version of the Joe Perry Project... I think he already has the album in the bag.
Might go see them in September if they can stay on the road... that would be Aerosmith show #4 for me.

the last one i saw here couple weeks ago they just played Dream On, the rest were pretty much rockers,, they didnt play dont wanna miss a thing thank the good lord, LOL

Va Beach VH Fan
08-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Aerosmith has cancelled here 4 times in the last 9 years, due to various reasons...

The one time they actually played here, my buddy said they were onstage an hour and 10 minutes...

Mr Walker
08-01-2009, 11:58 AM
the last one i saw here couple weeks ago they just played Dream On, the rest were pretty much rockers,, they didnt play dont wanna miss a thing thank the good lord, LOL

The last time I saw them was on the opening night of the tour they did with Run DMC & Kid Rock... the first set was fucking amazing and then the second set was all crap except for maybe one or two standard rockers thrown in... funny, but it started with 'dont wanna miss a thing'). Then they closed with 'Walk This Way' with Run DMC & Kid Rock taking to the stage and it seemed really gay to me... second set ruined the whole show.

David Lee Rocks
08-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Aerosmith has cancelled here 4 times in the last 9 years, due to various reasons...

The one time they actually played here, my buddy said they were onstage an hour and 10 minutes...

thats one of my complaints, they played maybe 90 minutes the last three times ive seen em, but out of the 2 shows in 2006 i saw, and the one this year, the set list was almost completely different each time, so i feel like i saw real good shows every time, them and Van Halen are my 2 very favorites

diamondD
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I was at that Dallas show and I thought it sucked that they advertised they were playing Toys in the Attic and then decided to drop it because too many younger fans were looking at them with deer in the headlights eyes. As I was cringing thru Janie's Got a Gun (hard to rock out to a song about child abuse, to me anyway) I kept waiting for them to start it. I would have never wasted my time to go see the same songs I've seen them do a dozen times already.

It was a good show overall, and you can't beat ZZ Top in Dallas, but it was still false advertising and then a short set. They could have at least pulled one gem off Toys that that don't play every night. All they played was Walk This Way, AGAIN.

David Lee Rocks
08-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I was at that Dallas show and I thought it sucked that they advertised they were playing Toys in the Attic and then decided to drop it because too many younger fans were looking at them with deer in the headlights eyes. As I was cringing thru Janie's Got a Gun (hard to rock out to a song about child abuse, to me anyway) I kept waiting for them to start it. I would have never wasted my time to go see the same songs I've seen them do a dozen times already.

It was a good show overall, and you can't beat ZZ Top in Dallas, but it was still false advertising and then a short set. They could have at least pulled one gem off Toys that that don't play every night. All they played was Walk This Way, AGAIN.

ur right, lots of people bought tickets for Toys, and even up untill the last minute, the radio stations were still saying they were playing Toys in full, i wanted to call them and say, um,, did you not get the memo? Then again, there was no memo, i would have loved to hear toys or any of the early albums

Terry
08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Odd to read some of the comments, because the first time I saw them in 1985, they were too drunk and stoned to put on a good show...the second time I saw them in 1988 they had cleaned themselves up and put on a well-paced, professional show. Have seen them play live on television several times since then, and for all the misgivings I have about their music since Pump, they still seemed able to play very well live.

Seshmeister
08-01-2009, 09:01 PM
These days Aerosmith are one of the worst bands for miming to tapes.

I don't think I would bother to go and see them again at this point, Milli Vanilli rock...

Terry
08-01-2009, 09:04 PM
These days Aerosmith are one of the worst bands for miming to tapes.

I don't think I would bother to go and see them again at this point, Milli Vanilli rock...

Do they mime to tapes these days?

Not a total shock, I guess, but sort of a shame. You'd think a band like that wouldn't need to.

Then again, the rumors were that Van Halen was doing the same thing in 2007-2008. If so, it was a good mime job, because it wasn't obvious at the show I went to.

Seshmeister
08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Van Halen piped in the backing vocals only.

I think Aerosmith do much more than that.

binnie
08-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Really? I've never heard that......

Terry
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Van Halen piped in the backing vocals only.

I think Aerosmith do much more than that.

Dear, oh dear.

Call me a purist, but a band playing along with prerecorded backing tapes, in whatever capacity, isn't what I want to see when I attend a show.

VH Drummer
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
The scream in "Dream On" is fake.

There's this guy who has his own Facebook group and he has a lot of inside info. He posted a lot of shit before it was ever made official. After the Atlanta show where they completely half-assed the show and skipped some of their biggest songs, he was worried that the tour and Aerosmith was coming to an end. Apparently, they had a band meeting in Dallas (since it was becoming obvious Steven wanted out) and since then, they've been delivering some kick ass shows; here's the Tulsa set:

01. Eat The Rich
02. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees)
03. Rag Doll
04. Dream On
05. Walkin' The Dog
06. Last Child
07. Combination
08. Stop Messin' Around
09. Love In An Elevator
10. Cryin'
11. Livin' On The Edge
12. Lord Of The Thighs
13. Sweet Emotion
14. Walk This Way
-----------------------
--JP Guitar Duel--
15. Train Kept A Rollin'

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 11:42 AM

There's this guy who has his own Facebook group and he has a lot of inside info. He posted a lot of shit before it was ever made official. After the Atlanta show where they completely half-assed the show and skipped some of their biggest songs, he was worried that the tour and Aerosmith was coming to an end. Apparently, they had a band meeting in Dallas (since it was becoming obvious Steven wanted out) and since then, they've been delivering some kick ass shows; here's the Tulsa set:

01. Eat The Rich
03. Rag Doll
04. Dream On
05. Walkin' The Dog
06. Last Child
07. Combination
08. Stop Messin' Around
09. Love In An Elevator
10. Cryin'
11. Livin' On The Edge
12. Lord Of The Thighs
13. Sweet Emotion
14. Walk This Way
-----------------------
--JP Guitar Duel--
15. Train Kept A Rollin'

Yup thats it. That guitar duel thing was kinda cool. Had a Guitar Hero perry on the screen and they played back and forth. At the end Joe was like" I guess that means I win"

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

01. Eat The Rich
03. Rag Doll
04. Dream On
05. Walkin' The Dog
06. Last Child
07. Combination
08. Stop Messin' Around
09. Love In An Elevator
10. Cryin'
11. Livin' On The Edge
12. Lord Of The Thighs
13. Sweet Emotion
14. Walk This Way
-----------------------
--JP Guitar Duel--
15. Train Kept A Rollin'

If I bought tickets for this expecting a 'Toys' show... I'd demand my money back. I definitely won't be going to see them in September.

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
If I bought tickets for this expecting a 'Toys' show... I'd demand my money back. I definitely won't be going to see them in September.

Fuck there is more old shit on that set list than there is new. You and I are the only two old enough to even know they had an album before toys.

I don't think you should go. You wouldn't like it at all.:umm:

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Fuck there is more old shit on that set list than there is new. You and I are the only two old enough to even know they had an album before toys.

I don't think you should go. You wouldn't like it at all.:umm:

LOL!
I think there may be only 3 or 4 songs in that set list that I would enjoy seeing live again.

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I liked the whole show. It was allmost as good as AC/DC IMO.

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I liked the whole show. It was allmost as good as AC/DC IMO.

Was this the first time you saw Aerosmith?

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Was this the first time you saw Aerosmith?

Um as stated earlier, yes. And it will most likely be the last.

I had a good time. Like I said I think they could have played longer. I didn't like leaving with that feeling. I didn't feel that way after AC/DC.

Now Def Leppard may be different. I may wish they would just stop. I dunno, I think that will be a good show as well. Never seen them either.

Mr Walker
08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Um as stated earlier, yes. And it will most likely be the last.

I've seen Aerosmith a few times, so that set list looks a little shitty to me. If it was the first time, I'd be a little better with it.

I had a good time. Like I said I think they could have played longer. I didn't like leaving with that feeling. I didn't feel that way after AC/DC.

I bet if I had seen AC/DC before I wouldn't have been pleased with the set list, but since it was my first time, all the songs were 'new' to me. Those old fuckers played for over two hours the other night.

OldNo.7
08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I bet if I had seen AC/DC before I wouldn't have been pleased with the set list, but since it was my first time, all the songs were 'new' to me. Those old fuckers played for over two hours the other night.

You say that because you have all those bootled DVD's that are damn good shows.

I don't remeber how long they played here but it was a long show. They just kick ass.:rockit2:

GreenBayLA
09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
What no Cryin, Crazy or I Don't Want to Miss a Thing? Why bother playing? Seriously I'm glad they've ditched those power ballads but 15 songs? Seems a bit light for a band coming up on 40 year anniversary.

Seshmeister
09-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Cryin and Crazy are almost the same song. The funny thing is that one was written by Desmond Child and the other by the Celine Dion guy trying to sound like Desmond Child.

Rock n roll...

Panamark
09-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Any pics ?

I wanna see if that Granny with the dude in the video store really
is Steven Tyler.....

Mr. Vengeance
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
It sucks when bands get old. So few are able to do it like the Stones. Aerosmith should have hung it up long ago.

Little Texan
09-08-2009, 01:25 AM
It sucks when bands get old. So few are able to do it like the Stones. Aerosmith should have hung it up long ago.

I agree. They should have hung it up after "Nine Lives" (their last good album, IMO) and before they released that horrid song "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".

Little Texan
09-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Aerosmith's last really good song, from Nine Lives...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EVKFvKsNuA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EVKFvKsNuA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I agree. They should have hung it up after "Nine Lives" (their last good album, IMO) and before they released that horrid song "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".

Yup that's exactly when I gave up on them.

I hear that the latest term is 'Nuking the refrigerator' rather than 'Jumping the shark' ever since the last Indiana Jones movie... :)

Rufus T Firefly
09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Saw Aerosmith back in '89 and they did a two and a quarter hour show, at the end of which Tyler did a bunch of backflips across the front of the stage.

At the time I thought "Fuck, that's pretty good for a guy that old!", and assumed it was probably the last time I'd see 'em before one of them died. Can't believe they're still at it TWENTY years later.

I'd really like to see 'em again sometime, but if they wheel out any of those "Get A Grip" power ballads or Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, I might just strangulate the person nearest to me, and I don't wanna risk that.

Golden AWe
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
2007 tour was the first and only tour I've seen...it had a really good setlist, over half of them were from the classic old albums...I guess some of the vocals have been mimed or something, but Joe Perry did sound grate...and looked grate :D

I remember posting some photos here as well...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/goldenawe/aerosmith/kes0071.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/goldenawe/aerosmith/kes0033.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/goldenawe/aerosmith/kes0021.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/goldenawe/aerosmith/kes0068.jpg

Rufus T Firefly
09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, watching that "You Gotta Move" dvd I was amazed at not only how healthy Joe looks, but he also moves like a 20 year old, you can't fake that kinda health with makeup and wheatgrass smoothies.

As a consequence, he's a really good advert for the medicinal effects of long term heroin use.