PDA

View Full Version : Does Happy Trails indeed "Suck"

Panamark
08-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Would you die if you never heard it again ???

Panamark
08-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Secret admission, I always hit the skip button when this track comes on
these days....

Mushroom
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Happy Trails does not suck. it fits the beer and babes attitude of VH. just listen to it. Talk about a song I could live without it's Big Bad Bill

Panamark
08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah but Big Bad Bill had Dad Van Halen doing his eruption on the clarinet...
no instuments on happy trails....

Mushroom
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah but Big Bad Bill had Dad Van Halen doing his eruption on the clarinet...
no instuments on happy trails....

voice is the instrument for the counterpoint and harmonies on Happy Trails

vaijuju
08-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I laughed the first time i heard "happy trails" And I said yeah, it's my Band Van Halen!
I love them for this

Panamark
08-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I also laughed the first few hundred times..
Now its painful..
Especially when you know the VH trails have not
been happy at all....

heartbreaker
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Nah. "Happy Trails" is a nice little ending to the album (like DLR did with "That's Life" at the end of EEAS) and the acapella version compliments the band's electrical instruments nicely, I think. Not to mention the fact that it fits in seamlessly on an album that is heavy with cover tunes. Perhaps the best part about "Happy Trails" is that it's only 1:05 in length.

VanHalener
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Dammit Jim!!!!

Happy Trails is a motherphucking CLASSIC!

Hell no I couldn't live without it!

FAK!

I'd rather eat a thousand miles of manure than lose one =CVH= track!

Anonymous
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I also laughed the first few hundred times..
Now its painful..
Especially when you know the VH trails have not
been happy at all....

Don't think about that, Markster. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Though I do tend to skip it sometimes, it's like I'd do any other music.

Cheers! :bottle:

VanHalener
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd rather have my nails pulled off with pliers, my eyes plucked out by a Kung Fu master, and have a glass tube shoved up and broken in my urethra than lose one =CVH= track.

FAK!

standin
08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
One of my most favored songs , EVER.

It's a feel good song, and It is not as easy as it sounds.

Van Halen Live New Year's Eve 1977: You Really Got Me with Happy Trails intro
<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ZAS36yQRMo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ZAS36yQRMo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>

standin
08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't get why VH would play it in a middle of a set. It is a great closer. And I love watching chitlins' give it their best attempts.
It's a tough song live.
It,almost(does) requires a bowed head and a meditative moment to center for it.

Terry
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Never really gave that "track" much spin time, even back in the days when I was listening to Diver Down on vinyl.

Worked better as a live sing-a-long (at the end of the bands sets on the Hide Your Sheep and 1984 tours when they used to encore with You Really Got Me, then they'd take a break midway through that song, sing Happy Trails, then blaze back into YRGM), then it ever did on record. Least for me. Kind of like Big Bad Bill; closest CVH ever got to a disposable novelty track. Although I'll listen to BBB (ISWN) once in a blue moon, I can't be bothered with Happy Trails.

VanHalener
08-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I'd rather rake a cheese grater back and forth across my balls then dip them in salt and alcohol five times a day than lose a =CVH= track.

~FAK THAT NOISE~

Panamark
08-05-2009, 02:29 AM
I'd rather rake a cheese grater back and forth across my balls then dip them in salt and alcohol five times a day than lose a =CVH= track.

~FAK THAT NOISE~

You know that you can buy cheese at the store, dont you...
Sounds like an awfully painful way to obtain it mate !! :)

Hey I never said we should lose "Happy Trails" just that it wouldnt
bother me if I didnt have to hear it again..

I tell ya what, if all four original members got back together,
I reckon I could listen to that song one more time.

But as it is now, I skip it. Hey Some people skip Dancin in
the Streets too.... Doesnt mean we want them nuked
forever (or maybe we do ??) Theres a bunch of Van Halen
tracks that never made it to official releases that
perhaps deserve to be in their place ??

Dolemite!
08-05-2009, 05:42 AM
A lot of songs can get boring after that many listens. I sometimes skip Happy Trails since it's more of a novelty tune than anything. DITS I think should never have been recorded.

Anonymous
08-05-2009, 06:04 AM
You know that you can buy cheese at the store, dont you...
Sounds like an awfully painful way to obtain it mate !! :)

Hey I never said we should lose "Happy Trails" just that it wouldnt
bother me if I didnt have to hear it again..

I tell ya what, if all four original members got back together,
I reckon I could listen to that song one more time.

But as it is now, I skip it. Hey Some people skip Dancin in
the Streets too.... Doesnt mean we want them nuked
forever (or maybe we do ??) Theres a bunch of Van Halen
tracks that never made it to official releases that
perhaps deserve to be in their place ??

I skip Dancing in the Streets. I ALWAYS skip Dancing in the Streets. Because that song is NOT there. Never was. Doesn't exist.

Watta hell are ya talkin' about, Markster?

Dancing what? Van Halen never did a song called Dancing whatever.

VanHalener
08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd rather have a lightning bolt hit me in the head and race through my body, popping my nads like corn as it shoots out my arse than to lose this jam.

FAK!

Panamark
08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcYsO890YJY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcYsO890YJY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dude.......... You really love this song ???

Maybe you should checkout some of the old barber shop
quartets that inspired it ????

If that doesnt work, can we marinade you on a spit with some good BBQ sauce ?
Sounds like you might get a little fried with that lightning thing....

Mushroom
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
that's why I love it, because VH did it better than those chumps! Dave's whiskey-soaked voice is the best.

VanHalener
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes I love the song.
Yes I skip it now and again, but that's only because I happen to be in more of a hard rock mood at the time.

When I am done disturbing the peace I play Happy Trails so the neighbors know I'm finished for the night.

I'd rather have my legs torn off and eaten by lions than lose this song.

FAK!

Blaze
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcYsO890YJY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcYsO890YJY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Vxrx3I9MAs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Vxrx3I9MAs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Blaze
08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
:umm:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/3791926867_05d5413efb_b.jpg

:hitch::biggrin:

Anonymous
08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes I love the song.
Yes I skip it now and again, but that's only because I happen to be in more of a hard rock mood at the time.

When I am done disturbing the peace I play Happy Trails so the neighbors know I'm finished for the night.

I'd rather have my legs torn off and eaten by lions than lose this song.

FAK!

Yes, but what do you feel about Dancing in the Streets? You'd rather skip it, right?

VanHalener
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, but what do you feel about Dancing in the Streets? You'd rather skip it, right?

I love Dancing in the Streets and do it often at red lights. Frrrreaks people OWWWWWWT!!!

The beginning is righteous. You have to crank that shit and ride the wave brother.

I'd rather snort a keg of puke than skip that song!

Guess Dance the Night Away is next on the block.

FAK!:pullinghair:

Va Beach VH Fan
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Happy Trails is great in the middle of the final encore, like they used to do....

A VH song I wouldn't mind never hearing again ??

Jump...

VanHalener
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Happy Trails is great in the middle of the final encore, like they used to do....

Jump...

You know they play that song on the radio every time they decide to play a Van Halen tune around here and I am sick of it, sick of the spineless DJs, I'm just SICK OF IT!

I'd rather run my junk through a sausage grinder than hear that song again before 2010!

FAKKKK!!!!!!!

Panamark
08-06-2009, 12:48 AM
So we can admit as CVH fans there are songs we can do without :)

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
You know they play that song on the radio every time they decide to play a Van Halen tune around here and I am sick of it, sick of the spineless DJs, I'm just SICK OF IT!

I'd rather run my junk through a sausage grinder than hear that song again before 2010!

FAKKKK!!!!!!!

That's just it though, you know you're gonna hear that song on every tour until they croak because it went No. 1.....

hideyoursheep
08-07-2009, 04:20 AM
That's just it though, you know you're gonna hear that song on every tour until they croak because it went No. 1.....

Your true Van Halen fan doesn't care if that song is ever played again.

The come-latelys that unconditionally accepted SPAM are the one's keeping it alive. The other top 40 friendly Sam Halen songs have already fallen by the wayside...no real "classics" to speak of. Just like Sammy's solo career. None.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, we're gonna have a new album that will need airplay on the next tour, so that's going to remove about 4 songs or so from the setlist...

I'd be great if Jump was one of those, but I doubt it...

If it were me, and I had to keep Jump, I'd yank Little Dreamer, Jamie's Cryin', Dance the Night Away... And Al's solo, while you're at it...

Terry
08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

Jump...

That tune was overplayed into the fucking ground when it was first released...I personally wouldn't mind if I never hear that tune played live again, but any Roth solo gig or Van Halen show with Roth at the helm you go to see it's pretty much a given it'll be played.

Panamark
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Jump is like one of those Madonna MTV songs....
You fucking got sick of it quickly at the time, but now it takes
you back ???

Is it just me or did the pointer sisters rip off Van Halen
with their "Jump" ??? (Please endure the whole tune or you
wont get it)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgSyB5xSo2U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgSyB5xSo2U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bitches !!!! Which one came first ?? Halen or Pointer ??

flappo
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
apart from secrets best track on dd

the cover songs remind of van hagar at it's worst and are fucking embarrassing

i always find it UTTERLY fucking crazy how this album came out between two fucking masterpieces like FW and 1984

either one eats this one fer breakfast , chews it up and shits it down the crapper

alexpgrimes
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Would you die if you never heard it again ???

no but I'm sure that Roy Rogers family might get alittle pissed..

Panamark
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
apart from secrets best track on dd

the cover songs remind of van hagar at it's worst and are fucking embarrassing

i always find it UTTERLY fucking crazy how this album came out between two fucking masterpieces like FW and 1984

either one eats this one fer breakfast , chews it up and shits it down the crapper

Secrets definately Edwardo ! Dave at his poetic best and Eddie
too ! Nice choice. Best song on Diver Down for this little vegemite too...

The rest ?

Full Bug was cool too, and Little Guitars...
Hang em High ? Rest was filler....

Sorry to Roy Rogers and his family....
I loved the novelty of the track the first few thousand times..
But its over... I can no longer dig it.
In fact it makes me sick.... Its like a parody of how unhappy the
trails have been since then for CVH !!!

Panamark
08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
And while Im fired up !

Dancin in the streets !!!!

More famous for the fag prance that Jagger and Bowie did
after both admitting they "Fuct"

Didnt like the song anyway, but bowie and jagger kicked
it into final oblivion... Sick.. I wonder who was the chick in that
little adventure ????????? :barf:

ZahZoo
08-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Glad you brought up the historical reference to the roots of this song...

What most of you young punks don't know was the cultural significance of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans to growing up as kid during the time the boys in VH were youngsters. Luckily you have an old fart like me with a few functional brain cells left that can recall the good ole days...

Given VH's southern Cal image this seems a little off base... but, Roy Rogers was big back then... bigger than Sponge-Bob. The whole nation tuned into his show and his movies were huge too. The whole cowboy, wild west thing was a total culture thing for young kids in the 50's/early 60's.
Dale was looker too!!

http://www.royrogers.com/images/dale-suede.jpg

Lyrics to "Happy Trails" by Dale Evans Rogers
Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Alternate Religious Verse:

Happy trails to you, it's great to say "hello".
And to share with you the trail we've come to know.
It started on the day that we met Jesus,
He came into our hearts and then he freed us.
For a life that's true, a happy trail to you.

Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules:

1. Be neat and clean.
2. Be courteous and polite.
3. Always obey your parents.
4. Protect the weak and help them.
5. Be brave but never take chances.
6. Study hard and learn all you can.
7. Be kind to animals and take care of them.
8. Eat all your food and never waste any.
9. Love God and go to Sunday school regularly.
10. Always respect our flag and our country.

Panamark
08-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Hey for the record, Im not dissin Roy Rogers or Trigger or
anyone associated with him !!

Christ, the Roy Rogermen are about to attack !!!

ZahZoo
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Inspiration for Light Up the Sky...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uMMY9rIUNb4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uMMY9rIUNb4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Panamark
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Why does all this stuff remind me of the 3 Amigos ???

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HdlYVKBUVE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HdlYVKBUVE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Panamark
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Another Turtle !! Goodnight Ned ! :)