PDA

View Full Version : Coated strings

Coyote
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Is there a significant difference to "regular" strings in terms of sound/feel?

And can one use those suckers in a Floyd, or would the coating get fucked up once you cut out the excess?

Let's see some opinions...

indeedido
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I tried a set of DR coated strings, the Black Beauties. They are coated in black.

Buy DR Strings BKE-10 Black Beauties Coated Electric Guitar Strings | .010 Gauge | Musician's Friend (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-BKE10-Black-Beauties-Coated-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=101169)

As far as lasting, I put them on my Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul a year ago. Put it in the closet and just pulled it back out. The strings are still good. No rust. As far as tone, I haven't noticed much difference. A little bit at first, not as bright, but really not that noticable.

I usually use D'Addario's, I love those strings.

jhale667
08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I've used Elixirs in the past, and while I like them, they're a little expensive to be changing every gig...they work fine with a Floyd.

Diamondjimi
08-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Never tried coated strings on my electrics. But I've been using Elixers on my acoustics for years. I swear by them, I'll never go back to traditional strings. They're like $18.99 but worth every penny. They last as long as 3 normal sets would...

indeedido
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I forgot about my acoustic. I put some D'Addario coated phosphor bronze strings on my acoustic and I'll never go back. These things are great. Great tone and last longer. Buy D'Addario EXP16 Coated Phosphor Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar Strings | .012 Gauge | Musician's Friend (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXP16-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=104340)

Nitro Express
08-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I buy D'addario strings in bulk. Nickel wound 9's. It's all I've played for years.

GAR
08-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Dummy! What about coated strings? That's the question..

The coatings are supposed to keep the crud out of the windings, but in so doing I believe they make the strings sound duller due to inhibited flex and vibration.

The colored strings, don't like em. Might use them for a video, but not definately not for songwriting or recordings.

The teflon ones like the Elixers, the same thing they sound dampened to me. I dont like em either.

My favorite string from 1979-1980, Black Diamond until the local store ran out. I think they stopped about that time or just before and couldn't get em anymore.

1980-82, Ernie Ball. 82-86, GHS. 86-88, Daddario 9s and 10's.

1989 I was using Gibson hi nickel 009 strings which reminded me ALOT like the way the Black Diamonds were. Then in 1990 I got turned onto Dean Markley and I been with them ever since.

THAT all being said, I do coat all my strings with the GHS string-oiler thingy.. the oily rag mounted on a stick inside a can thing. They're great, last about 5 years or longer!

That fine oil in that GHS thingy not only keeps the crud out of the wound strings, it helps keep the gaps from holding the crud in because when the gaps are oiled, and you rub a brisk rag like a cut patch of bluejeans fabric or canvas, the junk rubs right out.

Another trick I use, is a little patch of green 3M Scotch-Brite pad in my string change kit. I clean the 3 top solid strings with 'em, just a few rubs up and down pulling up around the string shines the corrosion off and leaves the string like new.

Can't do that trick with the painted DR strings however, and I've had a black set that just cracked the paint off after a few days of intense playing, so for me I don't take them too seriously and I don't like the sound of the Elixers at all.

Diamondjimi
08-12-2009, 12:39 AM
It won't matter what strings you put on your Charvette.

It's still a Charvette! :biggrin:

GAR
08-12-2009, 12:44 AM
..ahem:

Dummy! What about coated strings? That's the question..

Kristy
08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Is there a significant difference to "regular" strings in terms of sound/feel?

Back when I worked in a music instrument store I can remember when Elixir Polyweb strings first started to become popular and yet not a lot of players were big on them. One reason was because of the price and the other was nobody quite understood just what they were at the time. Some players I talked to simply didn't like them because of the non-metallic feel of the string that it came off being quite "plastic" and it took some time getting used to.

One reason why I think they're popular now is that they do deliver on canceling out a lot of "finger/neck squeak" you get from playing with metallic strings and for that reason alone many players who do not like Elixir's end up using them solely in studio work (acoustic) because they rather hear the beauty of a their Martin, Taylor, J-200 or whatever then a bunch of mice running up and down their fingerboard and then quickly re-string back to metallic stings when the recording process is through.

On the whole, I'd say Elixir's are not bad strings - sure they're a bit more $$$ but they are also suppose to last longer which in turn is their strongest selling point. I'd say if you're interested in using a coating string then go out and buy a set and learn by trial-by-fire if you like them from feel to tone or not.

jackassrock
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I use the coated strings on my basses. Takes a little high end away, but makes the strings last and last.

lesfunk
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I used DR black beauties on my bass for a while. Didn't like em. I went back to straight stainless round wounds

jhale667
08-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd probably still use Elixir acoustic strings, but can't see going back to the electric ones. Besides, I don't think they even make a .10-.52 set...

:guitar:

Don Corleone
09-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I've used Elixirs in the past, and while I like them, they're a little expensive to be changing every gig...they work fine with a Floyd.

I've used Elixirs in the past too, and they were fine but the price can be a little high.

I've just switched to Rotosound Pure Nickels (thought I'd give them a whirl), so far they seem to be okak.

Nitro Express
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't like the sound of new strings. I think strings sound better after they get a little dirty. They are just going to break before the die sonically anyways. That tension at the bridge always does them in. What's wierd is I have a strat that hardly ever breaks strings and then the Floyd on my Wolfgang eats them to death but that good ol Strat bridge is easy on them.

Mushroom
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I never cared to try the coated strings. from I read here, I'll steer away. been an exclusive Dean Markley user for almost 20 years (10's, blue steel, or just standard). for gigging, I prefer a new set of strings for every gig, otherwise I'm sure to break a string.

Matt White
09-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I've used Elixirs in the past too, and they were fine but the price can be a little high.

I've just switched to Rotosound Pure Nickels (thought I'd give them a whirl), so far they seem to be okak.

ALWAYS good to hear from ya Don........

Nitro Express
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Does anyone else do this? When I break a big wound string I like to grab
the end of the wound wire and pull it off the inner solid wire and what starts to happen is the inner wire starts to whip around and spin real fast. It sounds like a propeler. For some reason I just have to do this. It's like an addiction.