PDA

View Full Version : Free Money!!

Big Train
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Yippe Ki Yay...mini sirloin burgers...

Back to school spree: Billionaire, feds give out $175M to aid neediest students around the state

Read more: Back to school spree: Billionaire, feds give out $175M to aid neediest students around the state (http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/08/12/2009-08-12_billionaire_feds_give_out_175m_to_aid_neediest_ students_around_the_state_its_fre.html#ixzz0Nyt5Kf JV)

A $200 back-to-school giveaway for needy kids sparked a mad rush for money on the streets of New York on Tuesday.

"It's free money!" said Alecia Rumph, 26, who waited in a Morris Park, Bronx, line 300 people deep for the cash to buy uniforms and book bags for her two kids.

"Thank God for Obama. He's looking out for us."

Thousands of people lined up at banks and check-cashing shops to withdraw the cash that magically appeared on their electronic benefit cards.

Some rushed out because of rumors the money would vanish by the end of the day.

"Rumors, there's always rumors," said Teresa Medina, who waited four hours at a Pay-O-Matic in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, to get $600 for her three teenagers - just in case they were true.

The no-strings-attached money went to families receiving food stamps or welfare.

Every child between 3 and 17 was eligible for $200, which worked out to 813,845 kids across the state - including 498,866 in the city.

"Times are really tough right now. The situation is bad with money. So it's easy to want to use the money for other things," said Ana Barcos, 31, of Corona, Queens, where 200 people waited outside a check-cashing business.

"But if the money's supposed to be for my kids, then I will use it for my kids."

Billionaire philanthropist George Soros gave $35 million toward the program, with $140 million in federal stimulus funds routed through state government making up the rest.

"It's a help," said Tania Gomez of Chelsea, who withdrew $600 for her kids. "Every penny counts nowadays. It's really something that was unexpected."

Storekeepers were glad to hear about the program, too - and the notebooks, clothes and backpacks it would buy.

"It's good for everyone," said Aziz Boughroum, 31, who works at Stevdan Pen & Stationers in the West Village.

Gov. Paterson and Mayor Bloomberg joined Soros to announce the payments at Public School 208 in Harlem, where the billionaire reminisced that as a penniless student in London, he survived because of a handout he got from Quakers.

"This gift has a special personal meaning to me, because I was once also a recipient of charity," Soros said in a choking voice. "I'm very pleased that I'm able to repay what they gave me."

Paterson's Republican critics blasted the giveaway, saying he should spend the money to reduce property taxes.

"It is a plan that is ripe for fraud and abuse," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos. "This is a totally irresponsible use of federal stimulus money."

standin
08-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Big train, had it not been for what schools where given, programs and the like, I would have not survived. Irrelevant why I found my self dependent on schools. In high school, I choose to go to day and night school because that would give me 3 meals, though sparse, a day.

It is never a wrong thing to have children dependent on schools. I do wish it had been distributed through the actual schools directly to the children.
But I know most adults do not hate or predator their own children.

Igosplut
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
They oughta give them the SUPPLYS and not the money to the parents. I bet a lot of the kids never saw it.

standin
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Food is supplies, so is electricity, so is rent, so is soap. etc... Supplies comes in many forms.... but I agree the children should have been asked..... What do you need to make it another quarter?

standin
08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
You know one of the things I learned most, through the missing years( as my brother calls them) is that a bag of suitable groceries and some cash is much better than some fancy do-ha-ma-gig. I was guilty of the fancy do-ha-ma-gigs, I would give cool things that I thought, you know they wouldn't normally have this or be able to have this, it will be nice. But thrift, is an extraordinarily unique to each family. A fancy knapsack does not go as far as an ordinary knapsack that suits the needs and monies spent else where too.

And some times it is that dinner out ... that honestly you really feel bad about, but it was such a relief to just have food at that very moment.

Big Train
08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
The program's purpose is school supplies, so it should only go to school supplies. Should have been like a Staples or clothes store card.

While I agree standin, it could all be argued as supplies, the point was "back to school" which should only be school related supplies and clothing. Which theoretically eases the burden on those families. Whatever other income they have should go to those other needs, such as food and rent.

Mr Walker
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Food is supplies, so is electricity, so is rent, so is soap. etc... Supplies comes in many forms....

Like crack, Colt 45 and hookers?
I bet that's where a lot of these handouts are going.

standin
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Is that worse than dialing dollars for Jesus?
I admit, I wish the kids had been asked.
But I would like to think that most families do not predators children , their own children.
I have belief that most family remove corruption ( beat downs and intimidation to not educate), will do what they can.

Nitro Express
08-12-2009, 01:46 PM
None of this will fix shit until we can provide real jobs for people that whittle down the trade deficit. My question is why are these people on welfare in the first place? Free money sounds good but you are always dependant on the source that hands it out. Wasn't it George Soros that said he was having a wonderful crises? Al Capone ran soup kitchens as well. Me thinks this is buying influence more than real charity.

bueno bob
08-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Many schools demand that parents buy supplies for the ENTIRE class prior to the start of the school year. They'll mail out a list saying "Buy the following: 8 boxes of kleenex, 3 rulers, 6 sticks of glue, 20 pencils, 20 pens, 8 three ring binders, etc etc"...

I've been doing it for years now, but I'm seriously considering whether or not I want to continue...

LoungeMachine
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
.... What do you need to make it another quarter?

2 dimes and a nickel?

:gulp:

standin
08-13-2009, 04:13 AM
3 nickles and a dime?
:gulp:

ELVIS
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Stupid ass thread...

LoungeMachine
08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Stupid ass thread...

Not half as dumb as this one:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/front-line/56047-top-ten-anti-christ-liberals.html

Big Train
08-13-2009, 10:53 AM
We have a winner!! Ding Ding ding

hideyoursheep
08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
The program's purpose is school supplies, so it should only go to school supplies. Should have been like a Staples or clothes store card.

While I agree standin, it could all be argued as supplies, the point was "back to school" which should only be school related supplies and clothing. Which theoretically eases the burden on those families. Whatever other income they have should go to those other needs, such as food and rent.

Or better yet, bonuses for AIG.

No waste there whatsoever. Giving people FREE MONEY who need it.

:rolleyes:

Come on...like 200 bucks is THE STRAW that broke the bank.

Big Train
08-16-2009, 11:47 AM
that's fine, just call it that.

200 bucks per needy child giveaway..