PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age supergroup make live debut

kwame k
08-13-2009, 01:24 PM
courtesy of NME.com – Mon Aug 10, 11:00 am ET
The supergroup featuring members of Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, and Queens Of The Stone Age made their live debut in the early hours of this morning (August 10).
Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme's group, Them Crooked Vultures were due to take the stage at midnight (EST) at Chicago's Metro venue.
According to The Chicago Tribune, Grohl played drums, Homme took the guitar and vocals, while Jones was naturally on bass and keyboards.
The band were also joined by Homme's associate Alain Johannes on rhythm guitar and backing vocals, for the rift-heavy set.
Them Crooked Vultures played:
"Elephants"
"New Fang"
"Scumbag Blues"
"Dead End Friends"
"Bandoliers"
"Mind Eraser"
"Gunman"
"Daffodils"
"Interlude w/ Ludes"
"Caligulove"
"Warsaw"
"Nobodys Loves Me"
Earlier the venue had confirmed that the gig kicked off by posting a marquee sign boasting Them Crooked Vultures as the sold-out show was about to start.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/launch/20090810/en_launch/61992542;_ylt=Ajtp5iC56nCL9HWrdf1mqn6VEhkF;_ylu=X3 oDMTJqbjVodTllBGFzc2V0A2xhdW5jaC8yMDA5MDgxMC82MTk5 MjU0MgRwb3MDNDIEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbG lzdARzbGsDbGVkemVwcGVsaW5m)

kwame k
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Missed even hearing about this one.

Golden AWe
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Hell yesss I want to hear this...

indeedido
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
No doubt, can't wait to check this out. I was hoping Jones, Page and (Jason)Bonham would do something together since Plant didn't want to do a Zep thing. This could be cool too

Terry
08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
No doubt, can't wait to check this out. I was hoping Jones, Page and (Jason)Bonham would do something together since Plant didn't want to do a Zep thing. This could be cool too

Meh.

In some ways, it's a good thing that speculated Zep reunion tour never came to pass. They more-or-less pulled off the last reunion set (by far the best "Zep reunion" performance), and Plant may have wisely decided they should quit while they were ahead. They have nowhere to go but down in terms of living up to the expectations.

indeedido
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I can agree with that, but musically I think the three of them sans Plant could make a great album with a new singer.

Terry
08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I can agree with that, but musically I think the three of them sans Plant could make a great album with a new singer.

I'd be interested in hearing what Page and Jones could come up with...doesn't even have to be Jason Bonham on the skins to retain my interest, either.

I think the problem is that once Jason Bonham is added in that mix, it becomes tempting to try and "reform" Led Zeppelin, either with Plant or (shudder) with someone else if old Percy won't give it a go. And Zep, imo, is better off left to memory.

Hardrock69
08-15-2009, 02:22 AM
When I saw P & P in Kansas City in 1997, I was not expecting a lot. More interested in seeing the closest thing I ever saw to Led Zeppelin.

They surprised the crap out of me and kicked my ass all over the arena. Plant was not sloppy, Page sang very well.

These days, Plant should stick to his acoustic collaborations with Alison Krause.

Terry
08-15-2009, 10:43 AM
When I saw P & P in Kansas City in 1997, I was not expecting a lot. More interested in seeing the closest thing I ever saw to Led Zeppelin.

They surprised the crap out of me and kicked my ass all over the arena. Plant was not sloppy, Page sang very well.

These days, Plant should stick to his acoustic collaborations with Alison Krause.

Interesting...

was Page able to hit all the vocal notes just the way Plant did on the Zeppelin albums?;)

Saw a couple of boots of shows ffrom that same tour. Agreed they were quite good. Probably because it wasn't "Led Zeppelin" reunited, and they did some interesting interpretations of the tunes. Page having a second guitar player onstage with him and having a large band suppprting them helped.

Golden AWe
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Here you can listen to the whole album at the moment:

YouTube - 01 ~ No One Loves Me & Neither Do I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6arQ-qK34&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=FCC1368DF9BDE312)

CHECK THIS SHITE OUT!!!

Listening to these tunes for the first time, at the moment. Sound promising and DIFFERENT from Foo Fighters or QOTSA. You can definetely hear some Zeppelin there as well!

kwame k
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice find GA!

yah
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I saw Page and Plant in '98 on the "Walking into Clarkesdale" tour; it was a great concert other than some drunk, ever-too loud morons right in front of us. The band had also stripped down to only having Jimmy on 6 string.
Them Crooked Vultures seem to have that great raw,old-time blues rock sound happening-I'll check 'em out live if they come close to home.

kwame k
11-10-2009, 11:02 PM
The concert I seen of P&P, MTV or VH1 I think, were great. Not the old Led Zep and some interesting arrangements of the classics.