PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum Game

Mr Walker
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I bought this for my son today for the PS3.
I'm jealous... I wish I was 11 years old with a week to kill before school started and got handed a game like this... pretty wild.

chefcraig
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
OK, first off...as a parent, you might not know of the backstory regarding Arkham Asylum in the first place. "Arkham" was an adult graphic novel that was first published around the time of the Michael Keaton/big screen Batman movie. It involves all of the sociopaths Batman has put away, and in some particularly graphic scenes Batman must deal with each of them on his way toward an ultimate goal.

This is not the "Super Friends" Batman called in. There is some deeply warped stuff that goes on, much of it in a sub-textual manner. And remember, I am only describing the novel upon which the story is based.

Now, your 11 year old kid may find this to be yet another fighting game to slog through, and as such may be no more different than Zelda. My only concerns would be the graphic nature of the images, and some of the very inappropriate thoughts conveyed by the novel for a child of his age.

Look, I have not witnessed the game at all. I am basing this solely upon my knowledge of the book it is based upon. I hope that in some way I've helped you to at least review the material your child is playing.

Mr Walker
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
OK, first off...as a parent, you might not know of the backstory regarding Arkham Asylum in the first place. "Arkham" was an adult graphic novel that was first published around the time of the Michael Keaton/big screen Batman movie. It involves all of the sociopaths Batman has put away, and in some particularly graphic scenes Batman must deal with each of them on his way toward an ultimate goal.

This is not the "Super Friends" Batman called in. There is some deeply warped stuff that goes on, much of it in a sub-textual manner. And remember, I am only describing the novel upon which the story is based.

Now, your 11 year old kid may find this to be yet another fighting game to slog through, and as such may be no more different than Zelda. My only concerns would be the graphic nature of the images, and some of the very inappropriate thoughts conveyed by the novel for a child of his age.

Look, I have not witnessed the game at all. I am basing this solely upon my knowledge of the book it is based upon. I hope that in some way I've helped you to at least review the material your child is playing.

Thanks for the input bro... but yeah, we were aware of the content.

chefcraig
08-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the input bro... but yeah, we were aware of the content.

Cool, man. I'm reminded of how indifferent some folks can be (as you are no doubt well aware), and I applaud your interest beforehand.

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I bought this for my son today for the PS3.
I'm jealous... I wish I was 11 years old with a week to kill before school started and got handed a game like this... pretty wild.

What, just because you're an old fart you can't get a couple of minutes in the Playstation?

Send the kid to bed early and hog the machine. Old age isn't an excuse to stop doing things. Next you'll tell me you don't watch cartoons anymore.

See? There you go. Adult fun stuff.

And Chef, you're right. The "new" Batman is not very kid friendly, but it's the only super hero besides Aquaman that I can read these days.

You know, 'cuz Aquaman has some pretty deep, twisted stuff going on too. Not the Syndication Saturday morning cartoon anymore... certainly not Super Friends either.

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but are there nipples on the Batsuit?

Mr Walker
08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
What, just because you're an old fart you can't get a couple of minutes in the Playstation?

Send the kid to bed early and hog the machine. Old age isn't an excuse to stop doing things. Next you'll tell me you don't watch cartoons anymore.

I don't have the head for that kind of game anymore, but I did spend almost an hour watching him while he was playing.

Mr Walker
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM

I don't know, but I do know that after playing for a while the suit was full of rips and bullet holes.

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't have the head for that kind of game anymore, but I did spend almost an hour watching him while he was playing.

Wait, you know how to rip CDs to your iPod, you post on the internet - quite well, I must say - know how to create & upload a custom avatar... and you don't have the head to play games? :lol:

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
What if it was Pong? More on your age bracket? :hee:

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM

You SICK BASTARD!

What kind of question is that?

Do YOU have nipples on your Darth Vader suit? Oh, Gawd... Right, forget I asked anything! I don't wanna know! Seriously Bob, I DON'T WANNA KNOW!

Don't even think about it. Stop right there. Don't post it, don't...

Dear Lard, what have I done?

Coyote
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
You SICK BASTARD!

Do YOU have nipples on your Darth Vader suit? Oh, Gawd... Right, forget I asked anything! I don't wanna know! Seriously Bob, I DON'T WANNA KNOW!

Dear Lard, what have I done?

In quasi-Freudian terms, y'all just opened up a can o'whoopass...

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Is the plural of "y'all" "all y'all"?

thome
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I play COD I, on my computer and I want the new one, awesome.. I haven't played a Television video since SEGA....1997..?.Still have Sonic..fun stuff haven't played it in years .

I still have my Pong machine from the 70's I wonder if it would hook up ,,lol

I am out of the LOOP....:(

letsrock
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Intellivision? Anyone?
Atari 2600?

Who still has that stuff?

Mr Walker
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Wait, you know how to rip CDs to your iPod, you post on the internet - quite well, I must say - know how to create & upload a custom avatar... and you don't have the head to play games? :lol:

I enjoy playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band with the kids (I'm really excited about Rock Band Beatles coming out in less than 2 weeks), but so far as immersing myself in any of these combat, modern warfare fantasy role-playing type games... I just don't have the time and/or interest anymore. Right now, my time killing hobby is taking old Christmas LPs that I find in thrift stores and digitizing them and I hardly find any time for that.

chefcraig
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Intellivision? Anyone?
Atari 2600?

Who still has that stuff?

I've still got these, boxed up in the garage someplace.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2vnj4no.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/1fgyn7.jpg

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I enjoy playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band with the kids (I'm really excited about Rock Band Beatles coming out in less than 2 weeks), but so far as immersing myself in any of these combat, modern warfare fantasy role-playing type games... I just don't have the time and/or interest anymore. Right now, my time killing hobby is taking old Christmas LPs that I find in thrift stores and digitizing them and I hardly find any time for that.

Digitizing LPs? Yeah, I do that all the time too. You know, 'coz I know how to do it. Yep, noone can digitize an LP faster than ol' LP digitizer here.

You know what they call me? LP digitizer. Yeah, that's what they call me. 'Cuz I'm hip on all that digitizing technology and stuff.

In fact, I've been digitizing LPs ever since I was around 9 or so.

chefcraig
08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Digitizing LPs? Yeah, I do that all the time too. You know, 'coz I know how to do it. Yep, noone can digitize an LP faster than ol' LP digitizer here.

You know what they call me? LP digitizer. Yeah, that's what they call me. 'Cuz I'm hip on all that digitizing technology and stuff.

Does the term "digitizing" mean stacking a couple of coins on top of the needle to keep the record from skipping? If so, I've been digitizing for years, as well.

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I play COD I, on my computer and I want the new one, awesome.. I haven't played a Television video since SEGA....1997..?.Still have Sonic..fun stuff haven't played it in years .

I still have my Pong machine from the 70's I wonder if it would hook up ,,lol

I am out of the LOOP....:(

1997! The ole Genesis days - Mega Drive here in Europe. Gawd, those were the days. Fuck, I'm reminiscing. I'm old. I'm ancient.

Still, Sonic kicked arse. Super Hang-On, Flashback... Streets of Rage! Man, they don't make games like that anymo... FUCK! I cunt belive I almost writted that.

Right, where' the nearest home for elderly people? I need my medicines and chicken broth. My ciatica is acting up again. What did you say? SPEAK LOUDER! WHAT? NO, I DON'T.

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Does the term "digitizing" mean stacking a couple of coins on top of the needle to keep the record from skipping? If so, I've been digitizing for years, as well.

Yes, that's what I've said. I know all about it.

Mr Walker
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm sorry... I'm taking the old vinyl and 'ripping' it onto the computer so I can load up my ipod with them.

Oh yeah... although for the most part I sit in front of the turntable like an idiot applying a little pressure to the tonearm when needed.

Anonymous
08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry... I'm taking the old vinyl and 'ripping' it onto the computer so I can load up my ipod with them.

Yes. That's what I said.

No, I understood. But I don't know how to digitize. See?

bueno bob
08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
you sick bastard!

Do you have nipples on your darth vader suit? Oh, gawd... Right, forget i asked anything! I don't wanna know! Seriously bob, i don't wanna know!

Dear lard, what have i done?

yes!!!!

Coyote
08-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Is the plural of "y'all" "all y'all"?

Yes. AFAIK.

Coyote
08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
1997! The ole Genesis days - Mega Drive here in Europe. Gawd, those were the days. Fuck, I'm reminiscing. I'm old. I'm ancient.

Still, Sonic kicked arse. Super Hang-On, Flashback... Streets of Rage! Man, they don't make games like that anymo... FUCK! I cunt belive I almost writted that.

Right, where' the nearest home for elderly people? I need my medicines and chicken broth. My ciatica is acting up again. What did you say? SPEAK LOUDER! WHAT? NO, I DON'T.

Don't forget the 16-bit wars... Sega vs. SNES...

Thank fuck I didn't get involved in that shite. I was more interested in Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, etc.

And all I said was: PARTICULARLY NASTY WEATHER OUT THERE!

bueno bob
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I was always more of a Sega fan myself during the 16 bit wars...eventually got a SNES too, just to see how the other half lived. Hell, I even got an Atari Jaguar, but the only game worth a shit on that system was Aliens vs. Predator...

That's the one thing I hate about video games right now, it's that everything is outdated just the second you get it. I still haven't picked up a 360 due to cost, so we're sitting on the Wii, XBOX, and Gamecube. Also have a N64 and Sega Genesis still hanging around.

Been wanting to get a 360 once the price drops another hundred bucks, but I've been hearing that Microsofts already done with it and working on the new XBOX...pretty soon you'll have to buy a new system every year just to stay current...

THEDOCTOR
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
No nipples on the Batsuit...Jerry Bruckenhomo had nothing to do with this game

Vinnie Velvet
08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
No nipples on the Batsuit...Jerry Bruckenhomo had nothing to do with this game

I take it you mean Joel Schumacher, not Jerry Buckhiemer.

Anonymous
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Don't forget the 16-bit wars... Sega vs. SNES...

Thank fuck I didn't get involved in that shite. I was more interested in Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, etc.

And all I said was: PARTICULARLY NASTY WEATHER OUT THERE!

Yeah, I remember those. It was the last time a gaming system was relevant for what is supposed to do: play games.

At the same time, I was also playing adventure games. And there was the LucasArts vs. Sierra wars... you couldn't be safe anywhere.

I was always more of a Sega fan myself during the 16 bit wars...eventually got a SNES too, just to see how the other half lived. Hell, I even got an Atari Jaguar, but the only game worth a shit on that system was Aliens vs. Predator...

That's the one thing I hate about video games right now, it's that everything is outdated just the second you get it. I still haven't picked up a 360 due to cost, so we're sitting on the Wii, XBOX, and Gamecube. Also have a N64 and Sega Genesis still hanging around.

Been wanting to get a 360 once the price drops another hundred bucks, but I've been hearing that Microsofts already done with it and working on the new XBOX...pretty soon you'll have to buy a new system every year just to stay current...

I was partial to Sega too. I guess because Sega games were more "hardcore" and "mature", while Nintendo kept the "family oriented" style, which basically meant either kiddie games, or kewl games stripped ouyt of everything interesting, such as Castlevania not being able to use religious symbols.

And yeah, gaming systems nowadays get outdated faster than a computer. Add the fact that you can emulate almost every single gaming system on the computer, and you're better off with one, anyway.

THEDOCTOR
08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
oops yes ! my mistake lol Joel Goomaker. God can anyone actually sit through Batman and Robin?
I remember people actually yelling at the movie when I saw it

Anonymous
08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
oops yes ! my mistake lol Joel Goomaker. God can anyone actually sit through Batman and Robin?
I remember people actually yelling at the movie when I saw it

When I was in school, I don't know what your equivalent to the tenth year is, on the last day of History class, we had already been given all the material, so there was really nothing to do.

The teacher had proposed on the previous day that we'd watch a movie. Someone brought Gayman & Throbbin. After watching the first five minutes of the stuff, with all the skating up & down, or whatever, I rose, went to the door and said the words "Teacher, mark me as absent. I won't watch that piece of shit even if you flunk me. I bid you all fak yew, and hope I never again meet the person who brought this movie."

It was BAD!

THEDOCTOR
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I would love to see the MST3K crew fuckin RIP this movie.When Arnold started making his goons sing"He's Mr cold-meister" I fuckin lost it in the theater and yelled"OH COME ON!"

High Life Man
08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I would love to see the MST3K crew fuckin RIP this movie.When Arnold started making his goons sing"He's Mr cold-meister" I fuckin lost it in the theater and yelled"OH COME ON!"

Did you know the MST3K guys are now doing live shows?

They were here a couple weeks ago, some friends went and said it was hilarious.