PDA

View Full Version : Why liberals shouldn't run anything

Big Train
08-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Decades of mismanagement by Democrats have completely ruined this state. No sooner do we tell them to fuck off with their referendums, they come back with service cuts and tax hikes.

All while ignoring the VERY obvious causes and problems in the state.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Tax hikes coming for Californians anyway (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/08/27/tax-hikes-coming-for-californians-anyway/)

Tax hikes coming for Californians anywayposted at 1:38 pm on August 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Californians must have thought they’d sent a loud and clear message to Sacramento in May when they rejected a series of referendums that would have approved tax hikes to solve their budget crisis. The only ballot initiative approved cut off legislators’ pay when they failed to produce a budget, in what should have been a sign that the Golden State electorate had had enough.

The political class in the state capital apparently has their fingers stuck firmly in their ears:

While Californians are still feeling the sting of income and sales tax hikes signed into law earlier this year, now comes news that state tax authorities plan to take a little more from their pockets.

For only the second time in 30 years, the tax board is lowering the point where each tax bracket begins, bumping many people into a higher category. At the same time, officials are cutting back some deductions. Everyone will pay more, even people whose bracket or income doesn’t change.

The extra sums will total as much as $140 per family, on top of the increases previously enacted.

You’ll love the excuse:

Officials said the latest adjustments have been triggered by inflation, or rather the lack of it. This year, the state’s inflation index was a negative numberfor the first time since 1983. When the economy takes a deep plunge, so do tax brackets.

Er, what? If deflation occurs, then buying power of existing dollars goes up, at least in the short term. Strictly speaking, that should require less tax revenue as costs decline for the state. Instead, as people make less, they get taxed more.

How does this affect tax brackets?

Under the latest changes, for a married couple filing jointly, the top tax rate of 9.55% now begins at $92,698, down from $94,110. Combined with the earlier increases, such a couple with two children, earning $100,000, will see their California income tax bill rise by 22.3%, or $716, according to the state Franchise Tax Board. Their tax would go from $3,208 to $3,924, factoring in a $110 drop in the standard deduction for joint returns.

For singles, the top tax threshold has dropped from $47,055 to $46,349. This year, a single filer without children who earned $30,000 in 2008 and 2009 would pay 13.8% more: $617 instead of $542. The standard deduction for sole filers will fall by $55.

But for sheer cluelessness, you have to love this:

Not everyone minds paying more to protect such services as education, healthcare and parks, though.

An extra $100 or so, said Sharon Sugerman, a 59-year-old Sacramento resident who declined to give details about her job, “seems pretty reasonable to me.”

Do you wonder why Sugerman didn’t want to give her job details? It appears that Sugerman works for the California Department of Health, which took me all of ten seconds to discover on Google. She might have a personal interest in seeing tax hikes enacted, and it’s not about keeping parks open.

The rest of California employed outside of government disagrees, as they made clear in May. Maybe they should find representatives that will take their fingers out of their ears and actually listen to their constituents.

Jesus Christ
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
California Governors since 1900:

Republicans - 15
Democrats - 3
DLC fake "Democrats" - 1
"Progressive Party" - 1

Yeah.... the "Liberals" are to blame :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_California

Big Train
08-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Look at the people voting on the budgets and passing amendments from the CA legislature down to the county level and get back to me.

Jesus Christ
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
My son, ye must also remember that California hath the ballot initiative process by which many people hath been decieved into voting for irresponsible laws which they hath not actually read. It is similar to the process by which Pontius Pilate decided My fate - popular vote among those ignorant of the facts.

Thus, thy state hath gone bankrupt because the people did not render unto Caesar what was necessary for Caesar to provide necessary services.

Nickdfresh
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Republicans - 15
Democrats - 3
DLC fake "Democrats" - 1
"Progressive Party" - 1

List of Governors of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_California)

Right! Exactly. The typical Republican "it's the liberals fault" argument, when they've controlled as much -if not more- of the governments...

Big Train
08-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Typical out of stater assuming he knows...

From where I write this, LA county-run by dems, State Legislature-Dems, Governship...meaningless, a one man band....the same song it has been for many, many years.

And yes the ballot process has bankrupted us. The ones proposed by corrupt unions floating bonds for all kinds of things only they benefit from. 10 billion last year for a PARTIAL high speed rail development...a jumpstart.

For years and years, retarted ballots voted in and pandering Dems. No responsibility whatsoever, certainly none taking care of the various challenges we have had. Just borrow the money and start paying it back 5 years from now.

The house of cards finally came down.

Nickdfresh
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM

From where I write this, LA county-run by dems, State Legislature-Dems, Governship...meaningless, a one man band....the same song it has been for many, many years...

I had no idea that Republican's were so weak and flaccid...:(

Jesus Christ
08-27-2009, 11:28 PM

I'm the Son of God. I know everything. :jesuslol:

sadaist
08-28-2009, 12:48 AM

Republicans - 15
Democrats - 3
DLC fake "Democrats" - 1
"Progressive Party" - 1

List of Governors of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_California)

Where is Arnold in this list. Not under Republican I hope.

jhale667
08-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Where is Arnold in this list. Not under Republican I hope.

Yep, last time I checked the Guvernator was a republican...:umm:

sadaist
08-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Yep, last time I checked the Guvernator was a republican...:umm:

I know that's what he ran as, but dang...neither party likes or wants this guy anymore.

GAR
08-28-2009, 02:45 AM
HA Schwarzeneggar holding to party lines? You must mean COCAINE lines.. he's defined as liberal Democrat by his political actions, he can't even control his wife's pro-Democrat shenannigans.

I registered to vote over the illegal alien licensing threat by the asshole before him, and I'll vote an independant nobody in before he gets my vote for anything again.

I won't vote for Governor Moonbeam Jerry Brown either, nor the guy from San Francisco who's been riding Gordon Gettys' cock for the last 2 decades, either. They're both tools!

hideyoursheep
08-28-2009, 06:10 AM
For only the second time in 30 years, the tax board is lowering the point where each tax bracket begins, bumping many people into a higher category. At the same time, officials are cutting back some deductions.

?????

To borrow the conservative comparison used hundreds of times, "How much was a gallon of gas 30 years ago?"

What services are being cut?
It's in the thread title, but I didn't see anything mentioned anywhere in this op-ed.

Nickdfresh
08-28-2009, 06:29 AM
HA Schwarzeneggar holding to party lines? You must mean COCAINE lines.. he's defined as liberal Democrat by his political actions, he can't even control his wife's pro-Democrat shenannigans.

I registered to vote over the illegal alien licensing threat by the asshole before him, and I'll vote an independant nobody in before he gets my vote for anything again.

I won't vote for Governor Moonbeam Jerry Brown either, nor the guy from San Francisco who's been riding Gordon Gettys' cock for the last 2 decades, either. They're both tools!

Why don't you take some time off from manhandling young boys and "fix it" yourself?

ZahZoo
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
The taxes and bullshit are another good reason I left Ca in 1985 and never looked back.

Not to mention David Lee Roth was no longer in Van Halen...

Big Train
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
?????

To borrow the conservative comparison used hundreds of times, "How much was a gallon of gas 30 years ago?"

What services are being cut?
It's in the thread title, but I didn't see anything mentioned anywhere in this op-ed.

Name any service the government provides, from social services to basic Fire, police etc.

Oh and they have doubled all fines.

And registrations.

Everything you interact with the government about has been cut in service and increased in cost.

ZahZoo
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
You do realize you can move out of California, pay less for virtually everything, breathe cleaner air, drink cleaner water, have less crime, better infrastructure and an overall higher quality of life in almost every aspect..?

For Christ's sake I can't see why anyone would want to live there...

yah
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
California is in some trouble, no doubt.....overpopular in years past, the weather is not worth high taxes and struggling economies; not to mention the smog and crime in South Cal.
If I were to live in the U.S ; I would easily choose Oregon or Nevada over Ca.

Big Train
08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
You do realize you can move out of California, pay less for virtually everything, breathe cleaner air, drink cleaner water, have less crime, better infrastructure and an overall higher quality of life in almost every aspect..?

For business reasons I remain, but it is certainly something I think about quite often.

Once in awhile though, you have a day you remember why you like it here.

I'm due for one.

kwame k
08-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Made it about 8 months in SoCal and had to get out....not worth the price of admission for me.

I agree with Yah, Oregon and Washington State were a 1000 x's better.

ULTRAMAN VH
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Well if you do decide to move, cross Maryland off your list of possible choices. Its politicians are following Cali's economic blue print to a T. :luck:

yah
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Made it about 8 months in SoCal and had to get out....not worth the price of admission for me.

I agree with Yah, Oregon and Washington State were a 1000 x's better.

I'm just north of Washington State in BC and the NW U.S is just great, still like taking trips to Wa and Oregon, as well as Ca,Nevada, and Arizona.
There's some good music festivals still going on in the NW--may pack up my drums sometime and head down there to give it a shot!

kwame k
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm just north of Washington State in BC and the NW U.S is just great, still like taking trips to Wa and Oregon, as well as Ca,Nevada, and Arizona.
There's some good music festivals still going on in the NW--may pack up my drums sometime and head down there to give it a shot!

Cool, post some shit in Gear Street......we are lacking drummers.

bueno bob
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM

I hear that. I try and stay out of that shithole as much as possible; any time I do have to travel through, I just try to stick to the north end and get the hell out of state asap...