PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit

ULTRAMAN VH
08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit
Peter Robinson, 08.28.09, 12:01 AM EDT
Considering the late senator's complete record requires digging into the USSR's archives.

Picking his way through the Soviet archives that Boris Yeltsin had just thrown open, in 1991 Tim Sebastian, a reporter for the London Times, came across an arresting memorandum. Composed in 1983 by Victor Chebrikov, the top man at the KGB, the memorandum was addressed to Yuri Andropov, the top man in the entire USSR. The subject: Sen. Edward Kennedy.

"On 9-10 May of this year," the May 14 memorandum explained, "Sen. Edward Kennedy's close friend and trusted confidant [John] Tunney was in Moscow." (Tunney was Kennedy's law school roommate and a former Democratic senator from California.) "The senator charged Tunney to convey the following message, through confidential contacts, to the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Y. Andropov."

Yahoo! BuzzKennedy's message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. "The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations," the memorandum stated. "These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign."

Kennedy made Andropov a couple of specific offers.

First he offered to visit Moscow. "The main purpose of the meeting, according to the senator, would be to arm Soviet officials with explanations regarding problems of nuclear disarmament so they may be better prepared and more convincing during appearances in the USA." Kennedy would help the Soviets deal with Reagan by telling them how to brush up their propaganda.

Then he offered to make it possible for Andropov to sit down for a few interviews on American television. "A direct appeal ... to the American people will, without a doubt, attract a great deal of attention and interest in the country. ... If the proposal is recognized as worthy, then Kennedy and his friends will bring about suitable steps to have representatives of the largest television companies in the USA contact Y.V. Andropov for an invitation to Moscow for the interviews. ... The senator underlined the importance that this initiative should be seen as coming from the American side."
Kennedy would make certain the networks gave Andropov air time--and that they rigged the arrangement to look like honest journalism.

Kennedy's motives? "Like other rational people," the memorandum explained, "[Kennedy] is very troubled by the current state of Soviet-American relations." But that high-minded concern represented only one of Kennedy's motives.

"Tunney remarked that the senator wants to run for president in 1988," the memorandum continued. "Kennedy does not discount that during the 1984 campaign, the Democratic Party may officially turn to him to lead the fight against the Republicans and elect their candidate president."

Kennedy proved eager to deal with Andropov--the leader of the Soviet Union, a former director of the KGB and a principal mover in both the crushing of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution and the suppression of the 1968 Prague Spring--at least in part to advance his own political prospects.

In 1992, Tim Sebastian published a story about the memorandum in the London Times. Here in the U.S., Sebastian's story received no attention. In his 2006 book, The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism, historian Paul Kengor reprinted the memorandum in full. "The media," Kengor says, "ignored the revelation."

"The document," Kengor continues, "has stood the test of time. I scrutinized it more carefully than anything I've ever dealt with as a scholar. I showed the document to numerous authorities who deal with Soviet archival material. No one has debunked the memorandum or shown it to be a forgery. Kennedy's office did not deny it."

Why bring all this up now? No evidence exists that Andropov ever acted on the memorandum--within eight months, the Soviet leader would be dead--and now that Kennedy himself has died even many of the former senator's opponents find themselves grieving. Yet precisely because Kennedy represented such a commanding figure--perhaps the most compelling liberal of our day--we need to consider his record in full.

Doing so, it turns out, requires pondering a document in the archives of the politburo.

When President Reagan chose to confront the Soviet Union, calling it the evil empire that it was, Sen. Edward Kennedy chose to offer aid and comfort to General Secretary Andropov. On the Cold War, the greatest issue of his lifetime, Kennedy got it wrong.

Peter Robinson, a research fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and a former White House speechwriter, writes a weekly column for Forbes.

Forbes.com - Business News, Financial News, Stock Market Analysis, Technology & Global Headline News (http://www.forbes.com)

Nickdfresh
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit
Peter Robinson, 08.28.09, 12:01 AM EDT
Considering the late senator's complete record requires digging into the USSR's archives.

...When President Reagan chose to confront the Soviet Union, calling it the evil empire that it was, Sen. Edward Kennedy chose to offer aid and comfort to General Secretary Andropov. On the Cold War, the greatest issue of his lifetime, Kennedy got it wrong.

Forbes.com - Business News, Financial News, Stock Market Analysis, Technology & Global Headline News (http://www.forbes.com)

LMFAO!! What else could we expect from a retard that writes for the "Hoover Institute" without the slightest hint of embarrassment or irony?

Reagan reportedly wept after watching "The Day After" on TV (a miniseries about a Kansas town after a nuclear holocaust) and did more to deal with the Soviet "Evil Empire" than any predecessor US administration since FDR. And Reagan publicly repudiated his "Evil Empire" comment and stated that indeed the Soviets were not evil and were human beings that were approaching events much as we did...

jacksmar
08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Jimmy Carter was trying the coward back channel bullshit, dumbass.

DEMOCRAT=COWARD

Nickdfresh
08-29-2009, 09:36 PM

DEMOCRAT=COWARD

Democrats have started every War this century save for the last two Gulf ones, retard....

And WTF are you talking about? "Back channel bullshit?" Carter was the one that began supporting the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan in 1979. And Reagan did the "front channel bullshit" pretty well...

Seshmeister
08-29-2009, 09:58 PM
My party is just as stupid as yours goddamit!

...:)

Nickdfresh
08-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I am still a Republican...;)

Baby's On Fire
08-30-2009, 12:46 AM

DEMOCRAT=COWARD

You make the skinhead closet homosucksual in your avatar look like a fucking hard-thinking and logical intellectual.

Christ all fucking mighty. The scary thing is that there are about 100 million of you fuckwits who voted for Bush...TWICE...and still think you did the right thang.

FORD
08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
You make the skinhead closet homosucksual in your avatar look like a fucking hard-thinking and logical intellectual.

Christ all fucking mighty. The scary thing is that there are about 100 million of you fuckwits who voted for Bush...TWICE...and still think you did the right thang.

Actually, less than 50 million fuckwits voted for the Chimp. And that's counting the Diebold-stolen votes.

About half the eligible voters didn't vote at all, probably because they thought BOTH parties were too far to the right in the 2004 election. Which is true enough. As far as I was concerned, I didn't vote FOR Judas IsKerryot (who voted the entire Bush agenda between 2000-04) as much as I voted against the Chimp himself. And if I didn't despise the BCE, I wouldn't have even bothered doing that. REAL democrats were robbed in that election, way back in the Iowa caucus. Howard Dean would have buried Chimpy by a larger margin than Obama buried Grandpa Simpson.

Seshmeister
08-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Reagan reportedly wept after watching "The Day After" on TV (a miniseries about a Kansas town after a nuclear holocaust) and did more to deal with the Soviet "Evil Empire" than any predecessor US administration since FDR.

I read that too.

I found it pretty frightening that the US president had to see a film before he realised that a nuclear holocaust would be a really bad thing.

Politicians are fuckwits.

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I read that too.

I found it pretty frightening that the US president had to see a film before he realised that a nuclear holocaust would be a really bad thing.

Politicians are fuckwits.

Maybe. But I'll give him credit for at least being human at that point. I think it's largely unknown that possibly one of the closest instances of nuclear war took place around that time in which the Soviets believed NATO was preparing for a first strike. The incident is called "Able Archer" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83) after the codename for the exercise which the USSR saw as preparations...

From the link:

Able Archer 83
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Able Archer 83 was a ten-day NATO command post exercise starting on November 2, 1983 that spanned Western Europe, centred on SHAPE's Headquarters situated at Casteau, north of the Belgian city of Mons. Able Archer exercises simulated a period of conflict escalation, culminating in a coordinated nuclear release.[1] The 1983 exercise incorporated a new, unique format of coded communication, radio silences, participation by heads of state, and a simulated DEFCON 1 nuclear alert.

The realistic nature of the 1983 exercise, coupled with deteriorating relations between the United States and the Soviet Union and the anticipated arrival of Pershing II nuclear missiles in Europe, led some members of the Soviet Politburo to believe that Able Archer 83 was a ruse of war, obscuring preparations for a genuine nuclear first strike.[1][2][3][4] In response, the Soviets readied their nuclear forces and placed air units in East Germany and Poland on alert.[5][6] This relatively obscure incident is considered by many historians to be the closest the world has come to nuclear war since the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.[7] The threat of nuclear war abruptly ended with the conclusion of the Able Archer 83 exercise on November 11.[8][9]

jacksmar
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
BabyFire,
You may want to check the history of Dick the Bruiser. There was reason he was kicked out of New York.

I voted for Prez Bush once. When he pussied out on Falloujah and didn't kill them all and flatten the city, I wouldn't have voted for him for a million dollars. But thanks for noticing the avatar.

jacksmar
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Nick,
Please quit pretending to know everything. It makes you look less important.

The Ted Kennedy / Jimmy Carter KGB connections (http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/vernon/070219)

"Former president Jimmy Carter dropped by Soviet ambassador Dobrynin's residence on a day late in January 1984 to discuss the state of the world. Carter was concerned about Reagan's defense buildup, Dobrynin recalled. The former president went on to explain that Moscow and the world would be better off with someone else in the White House. Otherwise, 'there would not be a single agreement on arms control, especially on nuclear arms, as long as Reagan was in power.'"

Seshmeister
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe. But I'll give him credit for at least being human at that point. I think it's largely unknown that possibly one of the closest instances of nuclear war took place around that time in which the Soviets believed NATO was preparing for a first strike. The incident is called "Able Archer" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83) after the codename for the exercise which the USSR saw as preparations...

I saw a 2 hour documentary on it a while ago.

No doubt it will be on one of your Nazi Shark channels at some point.

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I saw a 2 hour documentary on it a while ago.

No doubt it will be on one of your Nazi Shark channels at some point.

LOL @ Nazi Shark Crabfishermen Loggers etc.

I think I saw it a couple of years ago...

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
BabyFire,
You may want to check the history of Dick the Bruiser. There was reason he was kicked out of New York.

I voted for Prez Bush once. When he pussied out on Falloujah and didn't kill them all and flatten the city, I wouldn't have voted for him for a million dollars. But thanks for noticing the avatar.

So you'd only vote for Hitler and gay congressmen?

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Nick,
Please quit pretending to know everything. It makes you look less important.

The Ted Kennedy / Jimmy Carter KGB connections (http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/vernon/070219)

"Former president Jimmy Carter dropped by Soviet ambassador Dobrynin's residence on a day late in January 1984 to discuss the state of the world. Carter was concerned about Reagan's defense buildup, Dobrynin recalled. The former president went on to explain that Moscow and the world would be better off with someone else in the White House. Otherwise, 'there would not be a single agreement on arms control, especially on nuclear arms, as long as Reagan was in power.'"

Soviet ambassadors weren't in the KGB dickhead. And why don't you quit confirming that you know nothing by ceasing posting?

jacksmar
08-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Soviet ambassadors weren't in the KGB.

Nick............

Well.....................

What color is the sky when you see it?

Nickdfresh
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Soviet ambassadors weren't in the KGB.

Nick............

Well.....................

What color is the sky when you see it?

The KGB didn't fucking use ambassadors, that's too obvious and they would have been of little value. The only obvious spies are military attaches, and that wasn't even the KGB, it was the GRU.

The Ambassador's driver, now HE was fucking KGB!

FORD
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Why do Repukes make such an issue of the KGB in Soviet government, but never have a problem with the CIA in US government? (the BCE being the most egregious example)

jacksmar
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
FORD, I could give a shit about KGB in Soviet Government.

It’s the commie libs in the US government I have a problem with.

Alger Hiss and Whittaker Chambers types from FDR through JFK.

jacksmar
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
The Ambassador's driver, now HE was fucking KGB!

True.

bueno bob
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
It’s the commie libs in the US government

Again, liberalism does not equal communism. A quick overview of the definition between "Liberalism" and "Communism" should be able to clear that up for ya, since there seems to be some confusion on your part.

Seshmeister
08-31-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm suspicious of the original article here.

I'm sure that the journalist named, Tim Sebastian is reliable as I remember him at the BBC but I can't find the article. If you look for it you get 50 almost identical republican blogs which smells of a cut and paste going on from an email going around.

Something like this is all about the detail. You need to know that it's not just BS from the Russians or that the Russians had got the wrong end of the stick(again) or whatever.

GAR
08-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Why do Repukes make such an issue of the KGB in Soviet government, but never have a problem with the CIA in US government? (the BCE being the most egregious example)

Like Obama isn't CIA and like I don't have a big problem with that...

FORD
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Obama's CIA now? I thought he was a Muslim alien Kenyan born Zombie superman??

http://cuzoogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obamaofsolice2.gif