PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 2 Remake

letsrock
08-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Anyone go see this? I did today. Loved it.

GAR
08-29-2009, 04:24 AM
The part about great filmmaking Rob Zombie will never get, is where you create images that leave more to the imagination for greater scare-factor.. he can't do that, so he has to illustrate everything with splatter.

That's a pretty monotone way of redoing a classic.. or should I say, monosyllabic, just like his music was.

Terry
08-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Zombie certainly does tend to amp up the gore and splatter aspects. Not the most subtle or creative filmmaker, that's for sure.

Am still going to see Halloween 2 today, regardless.

letsrock
08-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Calling it a remake is a very loose term. But i will say i do like his vision of Michael Myers.
Go see it you'll like it.

Terry
08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Just saw it.

Decent effort, despite the feeling at times that Zombie made it just to give his wife some work.

I'd agree it wasn't a slavish remake of the original sequel. Wasn't really executed with a lot of skill in terms of creating suspense...didn't really display much in the way of originality or a unique sense of craft. I suppose one could say people don't go to those types of movies to see those filmic elements, but it does illustrate the difference between a Hitchcock or a Carpenter versus a Zombie; Zombie's film was really no better than the bare minimum of what it needed to be. A lot of intentionally shaky camera work to simulate action and motion. A lot of gore and graphic violence. Nudity that really had no higher purpose other than having nudity on the screen - certainly didn't serve the story to any particular effect. A lof of tinkering with the sound where the soundtrack cues that coincide with the violence are BLASTED through the speakers, which simulates a sense of shock in the viewer only because the sound goes from really quiet to VERY FUCKING LOUD - kind of a cheap gimmick.

There is enough plot variation from the original films that with a small amount of effort Zombie could have made an original pair of movies on his own, rather than attach an amount of the success to an established franchise name. I understand why it was done in a business sense, and I'm not saying Zombie is a total hack, but the kind of stuff he's done to this point isn't gonna establish him as anything exceptional in his own right. He seems too content on aping his filmic influences, rather than developing his own style.

Whatever. He got my $5. It was worth a matinee price to see.

Golden AWe
08-30-2009, 12:33 PM
The part about great filmmaking Rob Zombie will never get, is where you create images that leave more to the imagination for greater scare-factor.. he can't do that, so he has to illustrate everything with splatter.

That's a pretty monotone way of redoing a classic.. or should I say, monosyllabic, just like his music was.

Yeeesss...if you look at the original Halloween...or f.e. FOG by John Carpenter, where those special effects were mostly a smoke machine and well set lights behind a little hill on the area where they shoot...

letsrock
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
But did love how Mike Myers was grunting and getting into the kill. Gave the character a more human element. The stoping of the skull next to the dumpster back of the strip club was interesing. Predictable like the Hillbillies, all the while i wish Mike or Jason Vorhees would just fuck one of these hot bitches.