PDA

View Full Version : Rwd?

Ally_Kat
09-05-2009, 11:13 PM
So I'm going and scoping out some cars that are for sale in my area. Spotted one for a good price and I'm all excited until some of my girlfriends start complaining about it being RWD and how I'll die in it if the ground's wet.

Now, I love them dearly, but they know nothing about cars.

So, I ask you, car knowledgeable peeps of the Army, is RWD really that bad on wet roads? Wouldn't it be just as safe if you took it slow and did regular driving safety in bad weather? We normally don't get snow in the streets because we're the city and it either melts on the street or is plowed - so all we deal is with wet.

?

Nickdfresh
09-05-2009, 11:23 PM
What car are you looking at? RWD isn't all that common, but in NYC, I can't see it being much of an issue. If you have Electronic/Dynamic/Vehicle Stability Control/Assist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control), it won't matter much what drive it is.

Ally_Kat
09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
What car are you looking at? RWD isn't all that common, but in NYC, I can't see it being much of an issue. If you have Electronic/Dynamic/Vehicle Stability Control/Assist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control), it won't matter much what drive it is.

99 Mustang. Insurance isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I see a lot of other broads my age driving them in my 'hood, so I didn't think it would be that much of a "deathtrap." Actually, I was very surprised at the recent rise of female drivers of the 'stangs than guys. But, then again, maybe we're getting the better insurance deal for our age group.

I deffy do know that it'll prob feel different than the Malibu I've been driving, Maybe not size-wise. I go later this week to check it out.

kwame k
09-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Here's the thing with rear wheel drive as opposed to front or all wheels. Rear wheel doesn't have the weight behind it as say a front wheel, the engine, rear wheel has a tendency to break loose because of no weight in the back. If you drive it right no worries.

For snow front wheel rocks!

rustoffa
09-06-2009, 12:12 AM
RWD is more fun to spin the tires on wet roads than FWD. FWD is better for icy roads. Have you considered getting a 4WD? It'd blow people's minds if you busted out a '79 Bronco 4WD with a body lift and like 13.75 Super Swamper mud grips....like freaking charging around the village with a rebel flag on the back!!

WACF
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I grew up on RWDs...and lots of snow and ice.

No worries.

RWD is alot more fun...but I find if it is real icy...you will recover a RWD faster and easier than a FWD.

The key is rubber...winter tires are deadly awesome...but at the very least good all seasons if you don't wanna change over every fall and spring.

But...if all you deal with is wet...damn....it would make no difference front or back.

yah
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I drove RWD cars for most of the 80's and 90's.
Mostly big boat American cars like Buicks and Oldsmobiles, some muscle cars like a '70 Cutlass S coupe and a few Mustangs.
Load down the trunk in the winter with some weight, and make sure you have good tires on the car (all 4)
Bridgestone Blizzacs are great winter tires....try 4 of them or some Michelin snow tires.

Little Texan
09-06-2009, 01:41 AM
I've driven RWD cars and trucks all my life and I've never had any problems. I don't know where your friends got their information from, but they are full of shit. That's the first I've ever heard of RWD vehicles being death traps. As long as you're not driving like a total dipshit such as driving 80+ down a wet road weaving in and out of traffic and drive safely at a safe rate of speed, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Any vehicle is a potential death trap if you drive like an idiot.

Dan
09-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Make Sure You Get The Car Checked Out.

Car History Log Book Is All Good.

No Rust in Good.

Check Belts And Every-Thing.

That's My Advice.:D

GAR
09-06-2009, 02:20 AM
I think it depends on how you drive, if you're poke thru traffic with lots of hesitations, FWD may be more suitable.

GAR
09-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (2 members and 0 guests) GAR (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/members/gar.html), kwame k (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/members/kwame-k.html)

FUCK off Kwappy! Quit cochstalking my fucking knob every thread I go! What a fuckin' FAG..

Igosplut
09-06-2009, 03:47 AM
I think it depends on how you drive, if you're poke thru traffic with lots of hesitations, FWD may be more suitable.

It wouldn't make any difference in the world with that type of driving you fucking know it all coward.

Like some have said FWD is better on slick (read: snow & ice, not rain) than RWD, so if you have no experience driving in those type of conditions (or at all) FWD is a better bet for you

But RWD is far from being a "Death trap" in the rain, and as long as you don't drive like Gargle posts ( I. E. with your head up your ass thinking you know it all) you will be fine once you get used to the limitations of your car.

If you do buy a RWD (the mustang comes to mind) grab somebody that has experience and after the first time it snows a few inches, find a large vacant flat parking lot, and have them show you how the rear breaks loose in those type of conditions. After you practice that yourself, then you'll be better prepared if/when that ever arises.

And I do agree with the statement that RWD recovers better/easier than FWD (snow/ice-wise), and even better than 4WD, just for the fact than the better traction the vehicle has the faster/farther most will go past the point of recovery to begin with. None of that helps you STOP in ice/snow conditions..

Ally_Kat
09-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys. I feel a little easier now about going to look at this car.

I have a lot of experience driving in the rain - when I was having my lessons way back when, it rained every time I got into the car & downpoured on the test. Plus, we've had damn near monsoon weather all of 2009. I was more worried about that then the snow. It usually only gets to a dusting or an inch on the sidewalk/grass. If it snows enough that the plows need to come out & there's snow on the street, that means the car needs to be dug out and I just take the bus/train at the point for the day.

I figured it would be okay, but you know how it goes in a room full of women - nag nag nag.

Nickdfresh
09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
When winter hits, I would put on winter tires from the Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels (http://www.tirerack.com) I use Blizzaks last winter on the small front wheel drive heap I currently have and the thing's like a tank in about 70 miles a day of driving...

I have driven a small pickup (Ranger) in winter and it wasn't that bad at all, and I was driving through serious shit. Don't forget to put some weight in the trunk like bags of sand...

yah
09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Ally Kat,
If you buy the Mustang; look into some all-season tires that are designed to handle rain.
Bridgestone and Michelin have good ones for that.
Also-have the rear differential("rear end") flushed out at a oil change/lube place and have that done every two yrs-it's fairly cheap to do($40.-50.)and make sure that the front-end steering parts ("front end" are lubed every time you have an oil change done.

kwame k
09-06-2009, 11:43 AM