PDA

View Full Version : God damn! Now I know why =VH= was kicking sabbath's ass during the 1978 tour.

BITEYOASS
09-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Ozzy's voice is shot and Bill Ward is going all over the place. I'm not sure if all their gigs during the tour were like this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FsFazD-wBc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FsFazD-wBc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Vengeance
09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Ozzy's voice has been shot since the mid 70's. Tony and Geezer sound okay though. Too bad because this is one Sabbath song I always loved and thought was underrated. Highly underrated album too.

Terry
09-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Have heard a couple of other Sabbath 1978 gigs where the whole band were playing well enough. Nothing spectacular, or displaying any particular conviction, but no huge flaws or mistakes.

I mean, by 1978, all of Sabbath were pretty fucked up in one way or another. I think Ozzy had quit and then come back once in 1978 before getting booted out of the band. The group were just tired of dealing with each other and were no longer hungry for success within the confines of the classic Sabbath lineup.

Van Halen in 1978 WERE fucking hungry. They'd done clubs and parties for several years, honed their act, had the first album released and were taking no prisoners.

yah
09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
You should have heard Plant's voice on some of the '75 Zeppelin boots....truly hoarse and sometimes ill with the flu.
Ozzy sounds at least ten times better on this '78 live example!

Mr. Vengeance
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
It's clear that the booze and drugs were killing Ozzy's voice already, but I'll give him credit for going out and giving it what he could. By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.

These days Ozzy's vocals are as computerized as Lady Gaga's.

Anonymous
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Hardly sounds like Ozzy at all. There's only a couple of seconds, after the solo, where you can actually tell it IS Ozzy... man, that was bad... I mean, he wasn't singing bad, it was his voice that was really, really bad.

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
09-14-2009, 12:24 AM
TONY IOMMI.

That is all.

:D

ELVIS
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.

That's TOTAL BS!

Terry
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
It's clear that the booze and drugs were killing Ozzy's voice already, but I'll give him credit for going out and giving it what he could. By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.

These days Ozzy's vocals are as computerized as Lady Gaga's.

But Ozzy could still sing well enough live when RR was playing with him...even when Jake was.

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
That's TOTAL BS!

No its not. Take a listen. You can hear it. Compare Blizzard and Diary to Never say Die or Technical.

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
But Ozzy could still sing well enough live when RR was playing with him...even when Jake was.

He could, but he also had horrid times. I have an Ozzy EP from the RR days, simply called Live E.P., which has Mr. Crowley on it. A couple of years later, I'm watching video of Ozzy singing MrC with Jake on guitar at some Metal festival in Michigan, and it's the EXACT same track. Ozzy & the music. They're miming. Why do that unless Ozzy's voice was hurting that day?

Terry
09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, he sang decent enough when I saw him on the BATM and Ultimate Sin tours...unless he was miming at those shows ; )

Vocal-wise, the most adventurous stuff he did was probably with Sabbath. Ozzy has always been one of those singers that was more personality-oriented for me vs. being a great technical singer; even at his best, he doesn't have much range.

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, he sang decent enough when I saw him on the BATM and Ultimate Sin tours...unless he was miming at those shows ; )

Vocal-wise, the most adventurous stuff he did was probably with Sabbath. Ozzy has always been one of those singers that was more personality-oriented for me vs. being a great technical singer; even at his best, he doesn't have much range.

I've got no problems with Ozzy's vocals up until maybe the OzzMosis album, when they just became so modulated they sounded like techno.

Antman
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Don't do drugs kids.

Hardrock69
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I saw them only a few days away from that show. Yeah, Ozzy's voice sucked shit.

If they had had a lame opening act, I perhaps would not have been quite so disappointed wif BS, but for them to try to follow a shit-hot band of fired up Atomic Punks was stupid.

No wonder they got their asses handed to them night after night.

ELVIS
09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
You can hear it.

Tell me what sort of "studio wizardry" was available in 1980, and for the petty sum of $60,000 - which was the entire budget for Blizzard Of Oz... It probably cost ten times that for Sharon to ruin it...

I've been studying the first two Ozzy albums for nearly thirty years... The only obvious technique used to make it sound bigger is the multi-tracking vocals (Ozzy sang each track separately, including all of the super high harmonies) and multi-tracked guitars...

:elvis:

Mr. Vengeance
09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Tell me what sort of "studio wizardry" was available in 1980, and for the petty sum of $60,000 - which was the entire budget for Blizzard Of Oz... It probably cost ten times that for Sharon to ruin it...

I've been studying the first two Ozzy albums for nearly thirty years... The only obvious technique used to make it sound bigger is the multi-tracking vocals (Ozzy sang each track separately, including all of the super high harmonies) and multi-tracked guitars...

Dude...I did say that it had BEGUN then. And it's not like today.

They had voice effects in the 80's. As great as the song is, you're telling me Ozzy's ever sung Flying High Again live and sounded like he does on DOAM?

As he's gotten older he's needed more. It happens.

Mr. Vengeance
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I saw them only a few days away from that show. Yeah, Ozzy's voice sucked shit.

If they had had a lame opening act, I perhaps would not have been quite so disappointed wif BS, but for them to try to follow a shit-hot band of fired up Atomic Punks was stupid.

No wonder they got their asses handed to them night after night.

Still must have been cool to see them back them, for the crowd alone.

ELVIS
09-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I've seen Ozzy sing flawless live...

But tell me more about these studio tricks that you are dreaming up in your weak little mind...

Diamondjimi
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM

You must've been at the 1 show he's done flawlessly in his career. I've heard dozens of boots of him and seen him live a few times and yet I can't ever recall hearing him and thinking "fuck, was Ozzy ever on that night". Every live release of him, be it EP or LP everything he sang was extensively doctored or re-recorded completely... Jus sayin... ;)

Mr. Vengeance
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM

But tell me more about these studio tricks that you are dreaming up in your weak little mind...

Dude...seriously. Get a grip. Do you have stock in Ozzy's back catalogue or something. take a listen to Ozzy at the US festival and tell me how flawless he is.

You don't need to be flawless in R&R, but let's be real- Ozzy has benefited from enhancement on records for a LONG time.

ELVIS
09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Give me one specific example from the first two, or even the first three albums...

Prove your point...

Hardrock69
09-16-2009, 01:26 AM
I have actually seen Ozzy sing flawlessly once...it was 1999, and I saw Sabbath in Kansas City on OzzFest. Tony Iommi scared the living shit out of me that night he was so fucking good. And, knowing Ozzy's voice, I noticed early on that he was having a good night, and I heard his voice crack slightly once, but the rest of the night he was spot on.

Granted, all they were doing was the "oldies" Black Sabbath set they did for years.

Yeah I drag up the 1978 show I saw once in awhile. Hey, I am proud to say I saw them in Seattle. Sept. 29th. Hmm....since the rebirth of this forum, I think photos were lost or erased or something? Might have to repost them.

Mr. Vengeance
09-16-2009, 05:50 AM
Give me one specific example from the first two, or even the first three albums...

Prove your point...

Seems to me I already have. Try and tell me Ozzy's voice has no effect on it for Flying High Again. How about I Don't Know?

You're being a dope.

ELVIS
09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Seems to me you're making it up as you go along...

You have no facts and you obviously have zero knowledge regarding recording techniques...

In 1980, you had to be able to sing live in the studio. There were no tricks or "studio wizardry" available to make a bad voice sound good...

You ARE a dope...

BITEYOASS
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a question, is the phrase "Rock n Roll Doctor" a slang term for drug dealer?

ZahZoo
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Seems to me you're making it up as you go along...

You have no facts and you obviously have zero knowledge regarding recording techniques...

In 1980, you had to be able to sing live in the studio. There were no tricks or "studio wizardry" available to make a bad voice sound good...

You ARE a dope...

Well yeah... they're making it all up. Most of em either weren't born yet or were too young to see most of these bands live. So they become critics ad experts via bootlegs that were recorded on pocket cassette recorders. Hardly anything to judge true performance quality...

Although I will challenge your comment on studio wizardry in 1980... I worked at the Sound Factory in Sausalito, Ca across the bay from SF, 80-82. A lot of bay area big bands (CCR, John Fogerty,Eddie Money, Santana, Tubes, Hewy Lewis, etc) recorded there.

There was tons of analog gear that could be employed to assist vocals... delays, compressors, chouruss, flangers, phasers, harmonizors and octive gagets. Also digital delays and other effects were just starting to proliferate as well. Then there's the old 60's methods of double or quadruple tracking a vocal track and then bouncing it down and phasing from 2 tape machines while employing the old finger on the tape reel to create a phase delay. Hendrix and Eddie Kramer used that trick a lot back in the late 60's with just 4 or 8 track studios...

Mr. Vengeance
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Well yeah... they're making it all up. Most of em either weren't born yet or were too young to see most of these bands live. So they become critics ad experts via bootlegs that were recorded on pocket cassette recorders. Hardly anything to judge true performance quality...

Although I will challenge your comment on studio wizardry in 1980... I worked at the Sound Factory in Sausalito, Ca across the bay from SF, 80-82. A lot of bay area big bands (CCR, John Fogerty,Eddie Money, Santana, Tubes, Hewy Lewis, etc) recorded there.

There was tons of analog gear that could be employed to assist vocals... delays, compressors, chouruss, flangers, phasers, harmonizors and octive gagets. Also digital delays and other effects were just starting to proliferate as well. Then there's the old 60's methods of double or quadruple tracking a vocal track and then bouncing it down and phasing from 2 tape machines while employing the old finger on the tape reel to create a phase delay. Hendrix and Eddie Kramer used that trick a lot back in the late 60's with just 4 or 8 track studios...

Exactly. Thank you for pointing this out.

I don't know why he's so bent out of shape about someone saying Ozzy's had vocal help for a long time. It's not like he had a bad voice then, but years of abuse have taken their toll and it started back in the late 70's when the booze/drugs were taking control.

Hardrock69
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, these days he sounds like 62-year-old Ozzy.

In 1980 he sounded like a 32-year-old Ozzy.

At least his weaker voice these days is not much weaker than it was originally. Look at how Rob Halford is struggling these days to sound remotely like he did back in the day.

Mr. Vengeance
09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, these days he sounds like 62-year-old Ozzy.

In 1980 he sounded like a 32-year-old Ozzy.

At least his weaker voice these days is not much weaker than it was originally. Look at how Rob Halford is struggling these days to sound remotely like he did back in the day.

When I saw Priest on the Angel of Retribution tour, he was actually in really good voice that night. But he can't really hit all the long screams anymore.

I'll tell you who can't hit the high notes live anymore is Ian Gillan. Anyone who caught Deep Purple on their last tour knows this. People get old...I mean Dio doesn't even try to hit the high note in Neon Knights on "Bloody angels fast descending", and he still has great pipes.

DavidLeeNatra
09-17-2009, 02:21 AM
I've been studying the first two Ozzy albums for nearly thirty years...

good that you stopped the booze... :biggrin:

btw...there already were studio tricks back in these days...for example the "back up" singer...you add another voice to the lead vocals and mix it in a frequenzy range that you can''t acutally "hear" but it's there, so the vocals sound more powerful. they still do this, if a singer has an extreme thin voice.

pitching was there, too...but of course there were no digital tricks...

ELVIS
09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Delays, compressors, chourus, flangers, phasers, harmonizers octave dividers and delays are normal, everyday effects used on any instrument...hardly "studio wizardry."

Everything you hear on Blizzard and Diary vocal wise, is Ozzy singing. In fact, Max Norman has commented many times that most of the studio time was spent "trying to pull vocals out of Ozzy."

DavidLeeNatra
09-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Delays, compressors, chourus, flangers, phasers, harmonizers octave dividers and delays are normal, everyday effects used on any instrument...hardly "studio wizardry."

Everything you hear on Blizzard and Diary vocal wise, is Ozzy singing. In fact, Max Norman has commented many times that most of the studio time was spent "trying to pull vocals out of Ozzy."

I don't say that they did it on Blizzard or Diary, I just said that there was already some "studio wizardry" back then...limited...but you could "do" some things...

Mr. Vengeance
09-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Bullshit. You are a fucking idiot if you think they didn't use any of those effects on Ozzy's voice.

That's what "studio wizardry" is, dope. What? You think I was suggesting that Ozzy was doing a Milli Vanilli???? Just drop it. We're past it.

ELVIS
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
You're an idiot...

ThrillsNSpills
09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhJQp-q1Y1s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhJQp-q1Y1s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Vengeance
09-17-2009, 03:42 PM
You're an idiot...

Whatever you say....

Hey- did you know that Peter Frampton at the beginning of Do you Feel Like We Do?...his REAL VOICE. No effect. True story.

Fucking dope.

ELVIS
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
It's a talk box, idiot...

None of the effects listed above were capable of making Ozzy sound better than he was capable of singing...

The only thing that give's Ozzy's voice the distinctive sound heard on the first two albums are the doubling of the vocals, and each doubled track is clearly Ozzy singing along with himself, no tricks...

ThrillsNSpills
09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Elvis thinks this is Eddie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nLraYRHC7M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nLraYRHC7M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
09-17-2009, 05:03 PM
It is...

Mr. Vengeance
09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
It's a talk box, idiot...

None of the effects listed above were capable of making Ozzy sound better than he was capable of singing...

The only thing that give's Ozzy's voice the distinctive sound heard on the first two albums are the doubling of the vocals, and each doubled track is clearly Ozzy singing along with himself, no tricks...

A voice box? No shit, Sherlock.

You're being naive and a dumb douche. It's Ozzy's voice. NO ONE EVER SAID IT WASN'T!!!!! The point the whole time has been that there are effects on his voice, whether it be echo, multi-tracking, harmonizers, etc....

Have you heard DLR's vocal tracks from the debut album? Without the music? He sounds good, but it's not AS GOOD as the actual album, once it was cleaned up. THAT'S been the point all along, but for some reason you have a hardon about people suggesting Ozzy had any enhancement in the studio. Get over it. They're still great albums and performances.

Stop arguing that your boyfriend Ozzy's voice was untouched on those early albums.

Mr. Vengeance
09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Elvis thinks this is Eddie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nLraYRHC7M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nLraYRHC7M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Next Elvis is going to tell us that Ozzy has no effects on his voice at the beginning of Crazy Train. Aye Aye Ayyyyyye.......

ELVIS
09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
"Effects" are not the same thing as the "studio wizardry" you're dreaming up in your weak little mind...

Kristy
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
My top Sabbath:

1. Back Street Kids
2. Symptom Of The Universe
3. Snowblind
4. Planet Caravan
5. A National Acrobat

ELVIS
09-21-2009, 03:15 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ien99EJ9mY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ien99EJ9mY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Vengeance
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
"Effects" are not the same thing as the "studio wizardry" you're dreaming up in your weak little mind...

It's exactly the same. Now, get over it, shut the fuck up and move on.

So sorry that I hurt your feelings by suggesting Ozzy's had some studio enhancements....

Honest to fuck.... :rolleyes:

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Why can you not explain what you suggest ??

Anonymous
09-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Ya know, Big E.... not to make a fool of yourself or anything, but studio "wizardry" has been around for a long time...

I mean, just check Looney Tunes and Mel Blanc. All Mel did, well I say all, but it's still pretty damn amazing - was to create an accent, and a speech "pattern" (stuttering, spitting, catch phrases) for every character and the rest was done by studio wizardry to a point you wouldn't believe it's the same guy doing Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, etc....

And this was back in the 40s, 50s... maybe even earlier.

Ya mean to tell me that in the 80s they couldn't have done that with Ozzy already?

They sure could. They probably did.

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Mel Blanc still sounded like Mel Blanc on those recordings and Ozzy sounded like Ozzy on his...

A recording studio is (or was) an environment to capture true sound. Today's digital realm can do amazing things to any voice or source that simply wasn't available in an analog environment...

The performer had to perform...

sonrisa salvaje
09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Ladies and gentleman....lets get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeee

Anonymous
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, he did. But that's not to say they couldn't "polish" it here or there.

Well, apparently I wasn't 100&#37; right, as Mel COULD do SOME of the voices without any effects, like Bugs Bunny.

However, for Daffy, if you compare this clip with Daffy's normal voice, you'll notice that Mel is in a lower registry and not quite so strong and loud. Daffy sounded much clearer, higher, stronger and louder, to the point of hysterics. The same goes for Porky, who had a slightly higher registry.

And THAT was studio wizardry.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGO0n5ui2xU&hl=pt-br&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGO0n5ui2xU&hl=pt-br&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Amazing, truly amazing. Mel Blanc is still the gratest.

Anyway, they could've done the same with Ozzy. Make his voice higher, stronger, louder... plus a shitload of other effects.

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Did you know 'When I'm 64' was sped up to make McCartney sound more youthful ??

Anonymous
09-22-2009, 02:50 PM
No. I don't even know the song.

See? Studio wizardy!

Point is, if the artist isn't worth all that much, I believe that what we hear is the real deal. No point in spending any amount of money to make a bunch of nobodies sound good. So I believe back in the first Sabbath album - maybe the whole six batch? - Ozzy was Ozzy, Iommi was Iommi, etc...

But by the time of Blizzrd of Ozz... hey, Sharon picked up Ozzy from that hotel room because she knew he could be valuable...

ELVIS
09-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, but Blizzard cost $60,000...

Hardly a fancy budget...

Anonymous
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
So? If that technology was available back in the 40s, couldn't be TOO expensive in the 80s. Besides, don't you pay for studio TIME? I dunno, just asking?

If so, it probably didn't took long to add a couple of effects to Ozzy's voice, since it wasn't exactly new technolgy, even back then, so someone with a bit of experience could take care of it quickly.

Besides, it's the 80s Ozzy we're talking about, not the current one.

Though he may have needed some help, it probably wasn't that much - certainly not what he needs now.

So, all in all, I'd say Ozzy had some "crutches" on back then, but nothing serious.

Just a few minor tweaks.

Hardrock69
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Ya know, Mel Blanc never used any kind of 'studio wizardry'.

He was not know as the "Man With 1,000 Voices" for nothing! Before (and even after) he went to work for Warner Brothers he was on MANY radio shows. He was hired for the Jack Benny show, and was to be heard on numerous other radio broadcasts as well.

The only problem he had was when he was doing the voice of Bugs Bunny. He could only use carrots, as Bugs always would take a few bites of one before saying "Eh....What's Up, Doc"?

The problem was Mel hated carrots! They tried all other kinds of fruits and veggies to see if they would sound right for the "chomp, chomp, chomp" sound, but none of them sounded like carrots. So what they would do is put a bucket on the floor next to Mel, he would do a take, and then spit the carrots into the bucket when they were done with the line.

Fascinating book to read is his autobiography "That's Not All, Folks!"

Amazon.com: That's Not All Folks! (9780446390897): Mel Blanc, Philip Bashe: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Not-All-Folks-Blanc/dp/0446390895)

In fact, back in the day when Mel was doing his thing (30s and 40s), the ONLY studio wizardry that was available was reverb, and even then, it was mostly done in echo chambers.
That is, when talking about movie soundtracks.

Spring reverb was invented by the Hammond Organ company in 1960, though they had invented a reverb unit for their organs back in the 30s. That unit was 4 feet tall, and was not a 'spring' reverb as we know it today.

The first reverb unit was not integrated into a guitar amp until 1963, when Fender introduced the Vibroverb amp. Fender had introduced their standalone reverb "Fender Reverb Unit" in 1961.

And a reverb unit could not possibly create any of the voices Mel Blanc did. The only 'studio wizardry' Mel used was his voice.

Hardrock69
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh and the only way they could get good takes out of Ozzy was just to do take after take, line by line or word by word until they could get a composite performance (if that is what it took).

:D

Anonymous
09-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Ya know, Mel Blanc never used any kind of 'studio wizardry'.

He was not know as the "Man With 1,000 Voices" for nothing!

Oh please. Use your ears. I don't wanna take anything away from the man, absolutely noone was able to match him yet, and it's not a likely thing to occur.

But like I said, Daffy's voice really had to be wizarded to be as loud, strong and high as is in the cartoons. Porky Pig's had to be "lifted up" a bit too, though not as quite as Daffy's.

But really, he deserves all the praise he gets, even after his death, he is still the best by far. By far, far, far...

lesfunk
09-22-2009, 04:28 PM

but I doubt you've ever heard Ozzy sing Flawless live

Mr. Vengeance
09-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Mel Blanc still sounded like Mel Blanc on those recordings and Ozzy sounded like Ozzy on his...

A recording studio is (or was) an environment to capture true sound. Today's digital realm can do amazing things to any voice or source that simply wasn't available in an analog environment...

The performer had to perform...

NO ONE has said he didn't perform the songs! I told you before, no one is suggesting Ozzy pulled a Milli Vanilli and that he didn't sing them, but you're just being foolish arguing endlessly that there are no enhancements, (hence what I mean by wizardry) .

Hardrock69
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Well, not to argue, but I have seen film clips of him doing Porky Pig AND Daffy Duck.....LIVE.

But you are right. No use arguing about it. He was an amazing guy.

Serously, you should get that book.

Now what the fuck does this all have to do with how VH kicked BS's ass every night in 1978? :tongue0011:

Oh please. Use your ears. I don't wanna take anything away from the man, absolutely noone was able to match him yet, and it's not a likely thing to occur.

But like I said, Daffy's voice really had to be wizarded to be as loud, strong and high as is in the cartoons. Porky Pig's had to be "lifted up" a bit too, though not as quite as Daffy's.

But really, he deserves all the praise he gets, even after his death, he is still the best by far. By far, far, far...

Mr. Vengeance
09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, not to argue, but I have seen film clips of him doing Porky Pig AND Daffy Duck.....LIVE.

But you are right. No use arguing about it. He was an amazing guy.

Serously, you should get that book.

Now what the fuck does this all have to do with how VH kicked BS's ass every night in 1978? :tongue0011:

Blanc was a regular on the old Jack Benny shows and did voices live. A lot of them similar to voices he did in cartoons. He often did one that sounded a lot like Barney Rubble.

Hardrock69
09-22-2009, 08:59 PM
One of the stories in his book was how one day Jack came up to him with the script, and when he read it, he found he was being asked to imitate an old jalopy.

He did it, and it went over really well.

His son can do the voices as well. Heredity and all that. He was in some kind of American Express or Visa commercials back in the 80s-90s.

Mr. Vengeance
09-23-2009, 05:43 AM
One of the stories in his book was how one day Jack came up to him with the script, and when he read it, he found he was being asked to imitate an old jalopy.

His son can do the voices as well. Heredity and all that. He was in some kind of American Express or Visa commercials back in the 80s-90s.

That's right. He was the "voice" of Jack's old Maxwell, as well as pretty much everything else on the show, including the polar bear that guarded Jack's basement vault.

ODShowtime
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM

man I've heard some moronic arguments out of you, but this takes the cake.

I believe this started by saying Ozzy's vocals were shit live and he had some help in the studio in the early 80s.

WHAT DO YOU THINK MULTI-TRACKING IS MORON? Can you use multitrack live? No, you use it in the studio. What do you think compression is? Did they invent compression in the 2000s?

I understand you are referring to the distasteful crutch of protools and autotune these days, but geeze you are cutting hairs and sounding like a complete asshole.

And honestly, to say you studied ozzy's first two albums for 30 years like they are some sort of sacred text is laughable.

sonrisa salvaje
09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
And honestly, to say you studied ozzy's first two albums for 30 years like they are some sort of sacred text is laughable.

What do you mean? They're not?

Hardrock69
09-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I could think of, oh, at least 10,000 guitarists who would say they are.

ELVIS
09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
man I've heard some moronic arguments out of you, but this takes the cake.

So, you're cakeless now ??

I understand you are referring to the distasteful crutch of protools and autotune these days, but geeze you are cutting hairs and sounding like a complete asshole.

Wouldn't be the first time. But this douchebag couldn't give the slightest example of what he was going on about, so I was being deliberatley evasive. Big deal, this place is slow and your butt buddy was easy fodder...

They are, in the Halls of Metal!

Coyote
09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I could think of, oh, at least 10,000 guitarists who would say they are.

Ask 'em why, and I'll bet they won't say "because of Ozzy's vocals"...

ELVIS
09-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Without Ozzy, nobody would have heard Randy...

sonrisa salvaje
09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Ozzy's first record is defininately sacred and i would say his second one as well. Ozzy's vocals have every bit as much to do with that as Randy's guitar. Both contributed to creating lighting in a bottle. Maybe Randy would have been heard had he been around for Metal Health and he had agreed with doing the Slade cover.

ELVIS
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
uhh hu uh uh uh uh uhu hu hu hu uh uh uh

Hardrock69
09-24-2009, 09:57 PM

True on both counts!

GAR
09-25-2009, 03:14 AM
I have a question, is the phrase "Rock n Roll Doctor" a slang term for drug dealer?

hahahahaaha... DUH

BITEYOASS
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
hahahahaaha... DUH

"Rock created drugs! What are they talking about?" - Sam Kinison

Mr. Vengeance
10-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Found this gem on youtube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/beMIl_jzRN0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/beMIl_jzRN0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
10-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Nah, I think Randy would have been heard eventually anyway, because he was just too fucking good to not be heard. Don't know if it would have been with Quiet Riot. More like DuBrow rode Randy's corpse to stardom in that one.

But if Randy wasn't in Ozzy's band there would have been no plane crash.

If Randy had been around in 1985, he might have played on Eat Em and Smile instead of Steve Vai, for example.

Roth, Rhoads, and Sheehan... just imagine that combination. :hitch:

ELVIS
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Drugs are bad, FORD

FORD
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Some of them are, but what does that have to do with anything I said?

You don't think Dave would have worked with Randy Rhoads, if he was around in 1985?

I think he would have been the first guy who got a phone call.

ThrillsNSpills
10-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I can't imagine Dave singing Believer type material.

I think Schenker and Dave would have been a better combination.

Randy and Sheehan would have been interesting though.

ELVIS
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Dave was initially interested in Yngwie, so Randy would not be out of the question as far as that goes...

But Randy seemingly wanted out of Rock, so a step down from Ozzy to Dave seems out of the question...

There are tons of guitarists as good as, or better than Randy who have never made it big...