PDA

View Full Version : China will fuel flexfuel cars on 50 cent/gal. methanol.

Nitro Express
09-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I used to work at a Department of Energy lab and it always amazed me how much technology we had on alternative energy and never used due to politics getting in the way. The Chinese are rich in coal like we are but poor in oil and gas. The solution is to use technology the US developed to make methanol and the cost is laughably cheap compared to what the world price for oil is. Of course since Saudi Arabia continues to buy up more US assets and our politicians they want us on their oil.

The production of methanol from coal gasification is a mature technology. In the United States, Eastman Chemical produces methanol from coal gasification at a plant in Kingsport, Tennessee that was built with support from the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE). Based on this experience, the U.S. DoE estimates that methanol can be produced from coal for as little as 50¢ per gallon. In China, production costs from coal are generally RMB$800-1,200 per metric ton of methanol (US$110-165/metric ton, or 33¢ to 50¢ per gallon). In addition, coke furnaces in China generate 80 billion cubic meters of waste gas each year, enough to produce 40 million metric tons of methanol, and significantly reduce pollution in the coal-producing regions. Coal-bed methane deposits of 30,000-35,000 billion cubic meters in China represent another significant energy resource as well as a hidden danger that claims miner’s lives each year. Just 1000 cubic meters of coal-bed methanol can produce one metric ton of methanol.

Nickdfresh
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Making "synthetic gas" from coal was explored seriously under the Carter Administration during the energy crunch. The problem is that the whole $.50 a gallon thing is mythical when you consider the massive R&D costs, building new or converting existing refineries (which no one wants in their backyard), and the fact that refining such fuels is actually far more polluting than refining conventional fossil fuel crude oil...

I'll stick to my GM-product econo-box, using premium synthetic lubricants, over-inflating my tires, and keeping it tuned with premium parts and platinum spark plugs to maximize gas mileage...

Nitro Express
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I laugh when people talk about cost when we have spent trillions of dollars bailing out corrupt corporations and banks. I also get tired of hearing about pollution. We have modern coal gasification plants here in Wyoming and all four boilers can be going and you can stand right next to them and see no smoke or smell anything.

It's obvious to me that our current gaggle of politicians want to keep us on oil and tax the shit out of it. Bush was big oil and Obama was supported by generous donations of Saudi Arabia money. Big oil doesn't own China.